Author Topic: Swagbucks, Viggle and online money making  (Read 9849 times)

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
Swagbucks, Viggle and online money making
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
I was wondering if anyone is making small amounts of money using the Internet or iPhone apps?

I am presently using Viggle and just signed up for Swagbucks, though I don't know the value of the latter.

Though this isn't a hugely profitable side hustle, it's a little something done with minimal effort. Other ideas would be appreciated.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
Re: Swagbucks, Viggle and online money making
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
How is viggle working for you? Do you have any success stories or neat rewards from it?

iwannaretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
I make about $10-$15 in Amazon every month using Swagbucks with minimal effort.  I also make about $25 every 6 months or so using Mypoints.  Again, pretty much minimal effort.  I'm sure I could make more on both if I tried harder and spent more time at it. 

I've never heard of viggle.  Going to check it out.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
I use swagbucks as well.  A little trick I use, a seperate account at work and at home.  Different ips so it wont show up as the same person.  You can get more GC faster that way.  I recently started using amazon GC to order household items(TP, laundry detergent etc) and this really helps.

I got the surveyhead app for iphone but so far haven't had many surveys yet and I live in Houston(lots of places around so should get lots of surveys).  I've taken some surveys on their website and they pay well but take forever to approve. 

I also use treasuretrooper for cash offers and surveys(have made over $1300 there over a 2 year period http://www.treasuretrooper.com/178975 is my referal link if you dont mind using it to sign up(I get a 20% kickback) but if thats against the rules here just go to www.treasuretrooper.com).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:04:03 PM by fiveoh »

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
How is viggle working for you? Do you have any success stories or neat rewards from it?

I started about 8 weeks ago and I'm nearly at 50,000 points which will get me $25 with Amazon. I plan to buy flea meds for the pooch.

I use it daily, but don't fret about it. I'm watching tv anyway, or it's easy enough to flip on, check in to a movie or baseball game, and then be done with it for a couple hours.

In my mind, it's a nice way to get a couple hundred dollars a year with little fuss.

wiferkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • WTF? (In The World)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
I've been doing the Swagbucks thing since March.  I'm not hardcore by any means, just some searching and maybe a couple surveys a week.  I've already managed to get a fair number of Amazon, Target and Home Depot GCs.  Like you said, it's not big bucks, but it's a nice replacement for some of the cash I need to spend on household items anyway.

liquidbanana

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Most of that stuff seems so not worth it when you figure in your hourly wage. I guess it's better than nothing? Clickworker.com lets you do search engine judging for Microsoft. Depending on the task and your speed, you can make anywhere from $3-15 per hour. I freelance and this is my last resort thing to do when stuff is slow elsewhere.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
I put in 4 minutes in the morning on SB during coffee time. Honestly, that time is not comparatively productive for anything else. I also perform searches in the afternoon and again in the evening as I log online to check news/boards. I never spend more than 10 idle minutes a day on it. Usually when I search, it's for something I was coming online to search anyway. I signed up two people with my referral code and earned several $5 gift cards that way(they cap out per referral). Otherwise hubby and I each earn $10 a month. We use our Amazon gift codes to buy beer making supplies.
I also use Ebates for cash back on things I buy online. We don't buy too much but still manage to get refund checks totaling $35 or so a year that way. There's no real effort involved in EB. You simply go through their site to the site from which you wish to purchase. They track your purchase and give you a percent back(average 2-4% with promotional periods of up to 8% at some stores). A check or Paypal deposit is automatically issued to you every three months for the total of the previous months' purchases. A nice thing about EB is that more stores are offering "Site to Store" free shipping. So you can buy at home through EB and get the bonus cash back(and often use extra coupon codes at checkout) and then just pick up the item next time you're in town.

iwannaretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
I put in 4 minutes in the morning on SB during coffee time. Honestly, that time is not comparatively productive for anything else. I also perform searches in the afternoon and again in the evening as I log online to check news/boards. I never spend more than 10 idle minutes a day on it. Usually when I search, it's for something I was coming online to search anyway. I signed up two people with my referral code and earned several $5 gift cards that way(they cap out per referral). Otherwise hubby and I each earn $10 a month. We use our Amazon gift codes to buy beer making supplies.
I also use Ebates for cash back on things I buy online. We don't buy too much but still manage to get refund checks totaling $35 or so a year that way. There's no real effort involved in EB. You simply go through their site to the site from which you wish to purchase. They track your purchase and give you a percent back(average 2-4% with promotional periods of up to 8% at some stores). A check or Paypal deposit is automatically issued to you every three months for the total of the previous months' purchases. A nice thing about EB is that more stores are offering "Site to Store" free shipping. So you can buy at home through EB and get the bonus cash back(and often use extra coupon codes at checkout) and then just pick up the item next time you're in town.

Agreed.  I often get Swagbucks when searching for Mr Money Mustache.  :)

tkirk62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
Without trying at all Swagbucks for me is an easy $25 per month at least. If you plan to check your email or MMM, just search for it instead of going directly to the site. If I'm doing schoolwork I mute the computer and play the videos on Swagbucks TV in the background. It's peanuts compared to employment but if you have to be tied to the computer anyway it is still getting paid a little for being there!

dobatseatcats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
I'm on Swagbucks but have absolutely zero luck making any sort of money on it. Have been on for at least a year and I've just now earned a $5 gift card.

The only things that make me money are the daily poll (1 buck) and the videos (some of which don't play because we have extremely slow DSL -- I have trouble in general with playing video content). I have earned points from searching exactly twice, and I do so multiple times daily. And I never qualify for the surveys. 

I would love to know what tricks you all have for earning $10 or $25 per month! I've actually been considering cashing out my 5 bucks and quitting because it is just frustrating me. :)

tkirk62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
In addition to the daily poll, there is what is called NOSOs (no obligation special offers). All you do is click through them, which takes 15 seconds, then enter a CAPTCHA verification code and you get 2 bucks. The poll and the NOSOs alone are 3 bucks a day, or about $10 per year.

Sometimes my slow internet can't load the videos either but if I am ever at the library or anything I play them in the background. I think the videos are probably how I make most of my Swagbucks, just playing them in the background while I do other things on my computer. Another thing you have to look out for though is if you have limited bandwidth. The videos add up usage fast if you aren't keeping track.

To get search wins all you have to do is search more often in one sitting. I get at least two search wins and usually it's three or four a day. The key is, when I get up and fire up the computer, I search until I win. It never takes more than 12 searches. And I search for the same sites everytime, just the sites I read anyway. I'll search facebook, si, outlook, joe blogs, money mustache, a couple of the university's online sites, yahoo, breaking muscle, mark's daily apple, men's health. After that many searches I will have won. Then I do the same thing in the afternoon or evening when I go on the computer again. Or if I am working and want a break I search facebook or hotmail instead of just going to those sites directly. You can definitely win more on searches without much effort. The series of searches will take a minute even on a slow DSL and you will win at least 6 bucks, usually 10 or 12, and if you get lucky I have gotten as much as 59 on a search win. You probably won't win twice within about 3 hours, but after that repeating the sequence of searches will probably yield another win.

I usually don't bother doing surveys even though apparently my demographic is highly sought. I just don't like sitting there for upwards of 20 minutes to half an hour doing something which means so little to me.

One last thing you can try is looking through the special offers pages. Some of them aren't worth it (spend $75 at this site and get 400 Swagbucks!) but they also have lots of free trials. I made $8 by signing up for Audible (Amazon's audio book site) and a free audio book for signing up for a one month trial, and I cancelled it as soon as I got my bucks and the audio book downloaded.

The videos is the easiest way but even if you can't, the combination of searching more and more effectively, and the NOSOs you should be up to about $10 a month. And if you are ever working anywhere with faster internet take advantage of it to watch the videos.

Good luck, it really can be rewarding without much effort if you know what you're doing.

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
Most of that stuff seems so not worth it when you figure in your hourly wage. I guess it's better than nothing? Clickworker.com lets you do search engine judging for Microsoft. Depending on the task and your speed, you can make anywhere from $3-15 per hour. I freelance and this is my last resort thing to do when stuff is slow elsewhere.

All I do on swag bucks is search for things I would normally search for on Google. I don't do any of the extra stuff and I get about $15 every 3-4 months. Since I'm not spending any extra time doing something I wouldn't already be doing anyway, I think it ends up being a good deal.

dobatseatcats

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
ha! I knew there had to be a trick to it. I just searched, like, 10 times in a row one after the other and got 19 bucks! That's never happened before.

Also didn't know about the NOSO's. I was on another site before where all the "offers" seemed really shady and most involved applying for credit cards I didn't want or need. So I admit I hadn't even looked at those.

(26 bucks so far today and I'm just getting started...)