Author Topic: Columbus OH area?  (Read 23434 times)

Melissa

• Stubble
Columbus OH area?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
I know that I've seen at least one other person from my neck of the woods.  If anyone is interested in meeting let me know. 

We could get $5 lattes and go on a shopping spree to see who can buy the most stuff in an hour  ;-) (just kidding)

It would be great to hear what other people around me are doing

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Columbus OH area?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
I am in the Westerville area and would be interested.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
I'm in C-bus as well, near Clintonville.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »
I'd meet up. I'm just north of campus/south of Clintonville as well.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
Anyone have a good place where we could all meet?

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
It's Farmer's Market time of year.  Anyone want to share any they know of or have been to and what they thought.

I've been to the farmer's market in Westerville for a couple of years now and although it is not big, they have a great selection.  Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Eggs, Veggies, Fruit, Whole Wheat and Spelt Flour, Honey, Maple Syrup, Cookies, and Bread.  Oh, and the honey guy has the best soap!  Great for one of my children's sensitive skin.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
OSU started one at 15th and High (Wexner Center's plaza) last year, and the selection was mediocre-- one produce vendor, Snoville Creamery, and a bunch of bakers and granola and salsa makers. Maybe this year is better... I didn't go to last Thursday's.

I hear really good things about the Clintonville farmer's market.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
I finally made it to the Clintonville Farmer's Market. It was like Gallery Hop -- just unbelievably busy. Not super meetup-conducive

What about a weekend cookout at one of the Metro parks? I've only been to a handful of them, but they're universally very nice. Or we could try a library, if AC is a must...

Kibatsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
Nothing like a good power outage to get you used to no AC. =P

Anyway I'm in the OSU campus area and am up for something (what to do however doesn't come to mind immediately).

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
If anyone in the OSU campus / Clintonville area is looking for something to do while the power's out, send me a PM! Grantmeaname and I have some friends with electricity, and we've been playing euchre and board games at their house nonstop for the past two days. If you have the time, we'd love to meet some of you!

Also, look's like you're in it for the long haul if you're north of downtown. http://www.aepohio.com/global/utilities/lib/docs/outages/AEPOhio/Columbus_6_30.pdf

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:17 AM »
Free Friday Night Entertainment!

Has anyone been to WaterFire downtown?  We are going for the first time this Friday night.  The event is free and it says they have food vendors on site.  I think we are taking a picnic basket and blanket so save on additional costs. 

Let me know if you are interested and maybe wecould all meet up (if you don't mind kids ages 9-12!)

Kibatsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
I'm interested. I might have some food to bring as well, though nothing too fancy because I get groceries on Sundays and am usually pretty limited by the end of the week. Looks like nice weather too.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:32 AM »
Russ and I (and a handful of our gaggle of friends) will be there. Melissa and Kibatsu, I'll PM you our contact information. It's hard to say when exactly we'll get there because we're doing some moving tonight as well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 07:37:51 AM »
Waterfire was great fun. The week we went, an 80s cover band was there, but the type of music changes each week. It was definitely quiet enough to hang out and talk, so I'd say it's a good opportunity for a mustachian meetup. The other ones mentioned so far in the thread would work too, though.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
Grantmeaname, we were there too.  Sorry we missed you, I didn't get a chance to check the board before we went.  We took snacks and dance with the kids.  We had a great time and will definately have to meet up with you next time.  I will send you my email

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
Bump! Anyone up for a remarkably cold park meetup? Or trying for a free concert or a library event?

Has it been long enough that we have any new columbus mustachians? I've got a couple more converts here at OSU, for what it's worth...

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
Grant, I'm always up for trying out an event!

I am already thinking ahead to the next gardening season.  We live on 5 acres and have a fenced in area around a large garden (2500 sq ft).  I love to work in it but it's really too big for one person to tackle alone.  The 3 kids have short attention spans and hubby is usually busy with other yardwork (plus he promised me native landscaping next year).  I thought if anyone was interested we could have our own MM garden club.  I hesitate to call it a CSA because I wouldn't want to charge anyone money, just looking for extra hands and I would be more than happy to share produce.  If anyone is interested let me know

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
That would be incredibly cool! I would love to garden but totally lack the knowledge (and won't live in one place for more than 12 months at a time, at least until I'm done with my degree). I wonder if anybody else here in Columbus would be up for it? (I know Russ will be back in the spring... maybe I'll bug him about it.)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
No need to bug, I'm totally in! +1 to the moving a lot, so I might not be around to enjoy the fruits (vegetables?) of our labor, but I enjoy the work and love to learn so I'd be glad to help out just for the fun of it.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
What about a meeting at the State Library of Ohio in Italian Village (offerings described here, very cool if you're a library nerd), the Columbus Metropolitan Library main branch, or a farmer's market/fall festial?

Samantha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
We live in Clintonville and I would love love to meet up at the library or a farmer's market! 

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
We live in Clintonville and I would love love to meet up at the library or a farmer's market!

Anyone know of anything this coming weekend?

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
If anyone is participating in the November book club, and assuming The Power of Habit is the winner, there are copies available at the Westerville Library.

Dersgold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
Grove City, here...

I would be open to a meetup in the near future, and also, read the Power of Habit a few months ago, but would welcome reading it again.  It is a gooder!!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
We just selected it for the book club selection for November, and I'll be creating a discussion thread momentarily.

So am I hearing that we are thinking about a library-ish meetup?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
I found the Columbus food swap group through the food swap thread, and it looks like a fun Mustachian event to me. They meet the third Saturday of every month. I'm sure most of us will be too busy around the holidays for the December meetup, but maybe we could save the date for January?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 12:11:47 PM »
That would be great! Looks like they cancelled both September's and October's events, though, so we may have to keep that in mind.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
I saw the link for the Columbus Swap group as well.  I would love to go to one in January (assuming it doesn't get cancelled)

I know this is short notice, but if anyone is interested there is an indoor farmer market in New Albany at the Church of the Resurrection.  It is from 9-12 tomorrow (Sat Dec 22).  I've never been there but will probably go around 10am.  Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.localharvest.org/new-albany-winter-farmers-market-M42903

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
I saw the link for the Columbus Swap group as well.  I would love to go to one in January (assuming it doesn't get cancelled)

I know this is short notice, but if anyone is interested there is an indoor farmer market in New Albany at the Church of the Resurrection.  It is from 9-12 tomorrow (Sat Dec 22).  I've never been there but will probably go around 10am.  Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.localharvest.org/new-albany-winter-farmers-market-M42903
I and Grant are both out of town, so we can't. Bummer, because I farmer's markets are something I really miss in the winter. Hope you have fun!

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
You didn't miss much.  Most of the items were either crafts or candy type items.  The food that was there wasn't anything that was grown around here.

*sighs* Disappointing, but it makes me want to start gardening again.  Time to look for a Mustachian way to start all my seedlings.....

Merry Christmas to you and Grant!  And all the other Columbus Ohio people lurking out there

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
What about a backyard poultry meetup? It seems as close as Columbus Meetup gets to frugality. There are also homebrew and winemaking clubs, not on meetup, but that's more like a productive hobby than a way to substantially save money.

Maybe the poultry one would be a good one to save until warmer weather.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
I still think a meetup might be fun, but now that it's getting nice we could also try and put together a group to go play frisbee and grill out at one of the metroparks some evening or weekend coming up -- who'd be up for that?

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
Our family would definately be up for that!  You can teach the kids how to play frisbee golf, I still can't throw straight to save my life!!

Later in the summer, I know we will be hanging out downtown for the WaterFire concerts.

Whatever we decide, I will bring along a big picnic basket to goodies to share

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Later in the summer, I know we will be hanging out downtown for the WaterFire concerts.
We're hoping to make it to a lot of those as well. It's finals this week and then school's out for the summer, so it seems unbelievable to us that the first one is almost two months away.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
First Waterfire is tomorrow! Anybody else showing up to it?

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »
Unfortunately we are going to miss the first one or two, but we will definitely be hitting The Ladies of Longford with MORPC Riverfest on July 26th

Are there any events going on the next weekend? Festivals?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 07:19:20 AM »
The weather was nice Friday night, but the band was so, uh, incredible that we stayed for nearly half of the first set before we decided we'd had enough. Hopefully the next band will perform something interesting.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 08:58:40 AM »
Bumping this bad boy up. Anyone know about free events in Columbus in the next few weeks?

I'd be down for braving the heat and meeting some new people outdoors. I could probably get Mr. Panda in on the action too.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »
Lemme answer my own question, here's a free movie if anyone is interested: http://wexarts.org/film-video/graduate

I've been to these, they're fun. Sometimes a bit too loud to hear the movie super well, unless you show up early to be near the screen. But still a good time, and free popcorn (score). Plus The Graduate is pretty solid.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
Russ will definitely be there, and I'll probably come along too. As far as other free events, the Waterfire concerts are usually pretty good.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
Hey yeah I'll be there. kinda late for planning but I'm in a blue shirt / gray shorts, and I'll be with my friend Steve who's got on some fancy blue plaid today. If you see this and pick us out give us a wave!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
ok, so last night didn't exactly work out. Try again next week? Waterfire is a week from today; I'll be there, probably with one or two of my Mustache-lovin' roommates.

Bejni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Hi guys!

I just registered in the forum a few days ago. I'd be happy to meet-up with people from this community sometime  during the next hours/days/weeks/months/years...

Do you guys have any plan for this weekend?

Best,
Benjamin

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
I hadn't heard about Waterfire but I'd be up for going! My husband and I live in Clintonville so I can even bike there =D

Bejni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »
Waterfire sounds good!

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
My husband and I will be there for WaterFire this Friday as well.  We are sans the three children this week, so it will just be the two of us, and a basket of goodies to share.

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Yay! I will also bring food, and a blanket for sitting. Perhaps a small flag with a mustache, on a stick?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Awesome. I'll be there with a blue and pink bicycle and a big gray/green bag. if you all see me give me a shout!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 03:19:37 AM »
Damn, one of two weekends all summer I'm out of town. Maybe I can make it to the next one.

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Sorry I couldn't make it.  Minor family issue that needed attention.

Were several of you able to meet up at the event?  I would love to hear about it