Author Topic: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.  (Read 162273 times)

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Mine's a nickname that my brother has been calling me since he was about 8 years old. He still calls me Bert, which confuses a lot of people since it sounds absolutely nothing like my (female) name.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
Do I really need to explain mine? LOL!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
Do I really need to explain mine? LOL!!!

I don't know... I always relate it to the old joke kids tell each other to get someone to call themselves retarded.  I assume that's what you're going for?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »
yeah for anybody who's like "my name is totally obvious guys"... I think you're kinda missing the point of the thread (or maybe get it but are giving everybody waaay too much credit?)

"horse poor" isn't that common of a saying anymore, for example

ETA: mine's my name, obvs ;-)

the photo, admittedly a little small to see the details, is of paper birds flying out of an opened gift box. A friend made/photographed a series of them for my birthday one year
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:39:31 PM by Russ »

avonlea

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
I chose the name of the town from Anne of Green Gables

I admit I'm kinda cheesy.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
I chose the name of the town from Anne of Green Gables

I admit I'm kinda cheesy.

Yay, I guessed right!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
I have used the same internet username since the good ole days, but for whatever reason I decided to be more anonymous here. Maybe because we are talking dollars and I DON'T KNOW YOU GUYS. So, hoodedfalcon came about because of a really random rabbit hole internet search I was on the same day I registered on MMM. No real story at all. The stapler lives on my desk at work.

However, it has recently come to my attention that hooded falcon is slang for an uncircumcised penis. Which is fine, but, um... is there any way to change a username?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
I have used the same internet username since the good ole days, but for whatever reason I decided to be more anonymous here. Maybe because we are talking dollars and I DON'T KNOW YOU GUYS. So, hoodedfalcon came about because of a really random rabbit hole internet search I was on the same day I registered on MMM. No real story at all. The stapler lives on my desk at work.

However, it has recently come to my attention that hooded falcon is slang for an uncircumcised penis. Which is fine, but, um... is there any way to change a username?

Same here... I don't want to be disclosing financial info under the same username as I use for online banking.

I will tell you that my password is: *********

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
ace = high school nick name 12=my favorite number 24= my favorite number x2. 

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »

Funny you should ask. As the OP of this thread it's sort of ironic that I had to change my name very early in my existence on the forum. Not because I didn't originally use this name, but because like a jackass I spelled it Chedder Stacker. So now when I log in, I have to misspell it, but my username appears as the corrected spelling after I changed it in my profile.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »

Funny you should ask. As the OP of this thread it's sort of ironic that I had to change my name very early in my existence on the forum. Not because I didn't originally use this name, but because like a jackass I spelled it Chedder Stacker. So now when I log in, I have to misspell it, but my username appears as the corrected spelling after I changed it in my profile.

That sounds totally like something I would do. Hell, I picked a slang term for uncircumcised penis and I didn't even do it intentionally. Username fail. But I am going to check out my profile settings. I suddenly have username performance anxiety.

read books

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
I have a very unusual name, so I don't use it online. I have a couple of online names for different contexts. None seemed right for MMM.

I knew I wanted something that did not directly reference mustaches, and I think people should read books. I think this is a truly obvious username, right?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
Mine used to be my second middle name, I've used it online since 1997 in college.

Since having 2 middle names is a pain in the ass, I dropped it when I got married.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »

That sounds totally like something I would do. Hell, I picked a slang term for uncircumcised penis and I didn't even do it intentionally. Username fail. But I am going to check out my profile settings. I suddenly have username performance anxiety.

So does your location intentionally tie back into your username, or is that just another unfortunate coincidence? This is hoodedfalcon coming to you from the deep and dirty.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »

So does your location intentionally tie back into your username, or is that just another unfortunate coincidence? This is hoodedfalcon coming to you from the deep and dirty.

OMG. I shouldn't be allowed on the internet. It's like, a double double entendre.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »

OMG. I shouldn't be allowed on the internet. It's like, a double double entendre.

By my count, there are four tendres.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
By my count, there are four tendres.

And hoodedfalcon is the Diva, right?

Oh, sorry, you said tendres.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
A cheesy pun on Seneca + Can Do!

stupid!

There is the benefit too that it sort of looks like a Latin first person verb.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:59:53 PM by senecando »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
Or a Spanish progressive.

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
Mine is the point in time I believe I am from my goal (i.e. a step away).  It is also reflective of the frame of mind I'm in and advise to myself (i.e. have the courage to step away from the grindstone and take the final leap to ER). 

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
Burning pants is part of my job. 

eman resu

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
noitartsiger gnirud noitanigami dekcal i snaem enim

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

ees i sdrawkcab. ecin.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »

ees i sdrawkcab. ecin.

¿ʇɥƃıɹ sıɥʇ ƃuıop ı ɯɐ

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »

ees i sdrawkcab. ecin.

¿ʇɥƃıɹ sıɥʇ ƃuıop ı ɯɐ

Jeez Cripes!  My daughter has dyslexia.  You'd think I'd be better at unscrambling words.

BPA stands for Basic Personal Amount which is the amount of money you can make in Canada before you pay federal income tax (currently $11,300, I think).  I want to see if I can live on that little some year.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

ees i sdrawkcab. ecin.

¿ʇɥƃıɹ sıɥʇ ƃuıop ı ɯɐ

Jeez Cripes!  My daughter has dyslexia.  You'd think I'd be better at unscrambling words.

BPA stands for Basic Personal Amount which is the amount of money you can make in Canada before you pay federal income tax (currently $11,300, I think).  I want to see if I can live on that little some year.

I'm pretty sure your name is a chemical I don't want in my water bottle.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
Mine is a play on my initials and alma mater. Pony Up!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »

I always thought you were selling/buying your Mustang for Kelly Blue Book value

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »

Might work if my initials were KBB. They are KKB. And I think many people thought I drove a Mustang. Never have. Right now I drive a Prius. Before that a Lexus. Before that a BMW. Before that a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Can you tell which car was the undergrad/law school and which was the I've Got A BigLaw Job car?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:05 PM »

Might work if my initials were KBB. They are KKB.

The alphabet is irrelevant here, Kelly.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

Might work if my initials were KBB. They are KKB.

The alphabet is irrelevant here, Kelly.

Alright, Drew.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
"libertarian" because I'm a libertarian.  The "4321" means nothing.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
Kulshan is another name for our beloved volcano/snowboarding mecca, Mt. Baker.  It lends that name to a local brewery, a bike shop, a middle school, a chorus, and one each of most every sort of business around here as well as the street that I live on.  It's a Bellingham name.  So, that is where that is from.  :)  And, I am a girl. 

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
You guys are cracking me up!

I think Oscar is a dog, actually.  (Way back in the first post, you guessed Oscarsmom has a kid named Oscar.  Well, sort of.  Depends on your definition of "kid" I guess.)

I was just trying to think of something and I looked down at my arm and saw freckles, as I always have, and I thought well, that sort of defines me.  When I was a kid I lived in a place where the other kids didn't look like me- fair and red-headed and freckled.  Due to geography, most of the others were browner with brown hair and brown eyes and they didn't sunburn like me and they certainly didn't have freckles like me and it was sort of a defining thing.  So, I decided to own it.  And my picture is because I think my dog is cute.  And blurry, apparently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the correction Freckles.

And again, thanks to all for chiming in. I think this might be the first thread I've seen that's gone this far without actually touching once on something financial.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
starting from the start. maybe I will change it, its so boring.

arebelspy: I read your name and can hear Darth Vader saying it, even if he never said it in any movie, I hear him announcing you. also, your photo looks just like my brother in law, which makes me feel warmly towards you.

I like reading about everyones names. I laughed out loud several times reading this thread!

mustachians are funny.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2014, 03:25:25 AM »

4321 is the combination to my luggage

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:30 AM »
rwd - my initials.  FlyNavy - my job.

CHOPAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:45 AM »
CHOPAG stands for Canadian House of Pizza and Garbage. It's a fake business name from the Judge John Hodgman podcast.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »
Bateauxdriver means boat driver.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »

Also my PIN number lol

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »
This thread is so awesome! 

Arebelspy:  I always read your name correctly, but I was picturing "rebel" as being in reference to the Confederacy.  I always consider you and "grantmeaname" to be adversaries. 

Mine is obvious, I suppose.  I like the play on words of "mustache" and "misstache" and obviously I am a Miss.  That is my picture, but I'm sorry to say the mustache is fake. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2014, 07:30:11 AM »
So THAT'S why he's so eager to be my friend!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »

There must be some opportunity for counter-intelligence, here!

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:35 AM »
This thread is so awesome! 

Arebelspy:  I always read your name correctly, but I was picturing "rebel" as being in reference to the Confederacy.  I always consider you and "grantmeaname" to be adversaries. 

Mine is obvious, I suppose.  I like the play on words of "mustache" and "misstache" and obviously I am a Miss.  That is my picture, but I'm sorry to say the mustache is fake. 

It IS?!

Reue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
Reue is german for Remorse. I thought the word sounded/looked cool and easy to remember.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

Might work if my initials were KBB. They are KKB. And I think many people thought I drove a Mustang. Never have. Right now I drive a Prius. Before that a Lexus. Before that a BMW. Before that a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Can you tell which car was the undergrad/law school and which was the I've Got A BigLaw Job car?

So, I've also always read it as kbb. Whoops.  :P

There must be some opportunity for counter-intelligence, here!

He reminds me of a young me. Not much younger mind you; perhaps even a couple of years older.

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »

Right you are, Ken...errr...Cheddar Stacker!

YESSSSSSSS

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

Ok ok, the combination is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life!  That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Oh yea:  I suppose I could have been more creative, instead of Localation+stache.  ie. Mike Brown, Redstache, Midwestache? 

I don't have too many posts, nor made a big name for myself in this world... maybe not too late to change!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!