Author Topic: What kind of bikes do you use?  (Read 29519 times)

JadamR15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What kind of bikes do you use?
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
Hey fellow Mustachians,

I'm a relative noob, but I've been reading posts on this site for a few months now.  Notably, I've sold my car so I can bike to work, which is often only a few miles away. 

Anyone have any recommendations on what bike to purchase, or on living life while biking frequently, in general?

Thanks ya'all!

--Joe, Surprise AZ

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: What kind of bikes do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
I bike to work on this (10 to 20km daily commute in a flat city):
http://www.khsbicycles.com/06_urban_soul_12.htm

Single speed.
Light weight steel frame.
Good brakes.
Semi upright riding position.
Cost approx $200 USD

I've since sold all my other bikes (racing bike, old 18 speed commuter).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
I have a mid 1970s Schwinn Collegiate - 5 speed, steel, built to last.  It came with basket panniers and cost me all of $200 purchase and tune up combined.   It's an awesome bike, but the ladies version.  I'm a sucker for vintage steel bikes though, they just seem sturdier and more reliable than what's in the shops these days.

This will be my commuting bike in a couple of months when I move closer to work. 

I'm on the lookout for a vintage steel touring bike, not crucially needed but would be nice on the days when I want a speedier/more aggressive ride. 

I agree with gooki on the semi-upright posture.  It's way more relaxed and was the primary thing I was looking for in my first bike.   

JadamR15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies, fellas. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »
I commute and grocery shop on a steel cyclocross frame (Bianchi Volpe) with flat bars and 24 speeds, since I have a couple of decent hills on my route.  Full fenders, rear rack with ExtraWheel waterproof panniers, which are cheap and enormous.  I also run Panaracer Ribmo tires, which are supposedly kevlar-reinforced to resist flats; so far I've got just over a thousand miles on them with not a single flat yet.

It's all mid-range components, nothing too fancy to tempt thieves because I use it so much that it gets locked up lots of strange places.

It's a happy city bike.  I also have a beautiful Giant TCR composite that weighs next to nothing and flies like the wind, but I really only use it for dedicated training rides.  For actual transportation, I use the Bianchi.

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
I've got a Trek 18 speed mountain bike, aluminum frame. I use it to commute to work and to the grocery store. We've got a two-seat bike trailer for hauling groceries and a homemade bike trailer for hauling wood, tools, and other woodworking supplies. 

My wife has a Schwinn 10-speed. Early 80's.

rjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm retired!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »
I just bought a Trek 7.3 Fx for local commuting:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_3_fx/#

I have it pimped with Topeak rack, trunk bag, front/rear lights, bell, and Planet Bike fenders. I love it!!

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
I have a mid 1970s Schwinn Collegiate - 5 speed, steel, built to last.  It came with basket panniers and cost me all of $200 purchase and tune up combined.   It's an awesome bike, but the ladies version.  I'm a sucker for vintage steel bikes though, they just seem sturdier and more reliable than what's in the shops these days. 

I like mid-70s bike--I have a ladies Raleigh Sport from the mid-late 70s.  It's a three speed with a pannier rack.  It makes a great commuter bike for the extremely flat gulf coast of Texas.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
1990s Haro Escape 21 speed with street tires (not mountain tires).  Got it on craigslist for $160.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I ride a cyclocross bike (Surly Crosscheck) for my 10 mile commute and for going around town.   It was my graduaton present to myself when I got a real job, and it's been good to me.

Bullseye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
3-4 year old KHS Urban X.  Amazing bike!  29" wheels and double walled street tires, never had a flat, and I can keep up with friends on 30 mile rides when they take road or cyclocross bikes. 

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Raleigh SC-300, an older comfort hybrid, 21-speed. I love it, except when I'm on the road with a headwind. Then I want to switch over to a commuter so I can bend down more.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations on what bike to purchase, or on living life while biking frequently, in general?

I should really just make a generic copy and paste message for this question :)

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again:

I wrote this post specifically for mustachian minded folk who are looking to buy a practical used bike for commuting, and don't know enough about bikes to spot a good one from a rolling pile of crap (at the request of another MMM reader)

http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2012/01/buying-bikes-from-craigslist.html

Taffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »

24-speed Giant Yukon. Cost me about $130, second-hand (in Taiwan, the home of Giant), and I've added lights, a D-lock, and road tyres (swapping out the MTB tyres) for about $40 in total. Some of my friends have fancy high-end racers, but this gets me around, copes with hills, handles well, and is safe.

A semi-mustachian bike fanatic friend of mine told me to snap this up when he saw it listed, and he was right. Very happy with it.

JadamR15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »

I wrote this post specifically for mustachian minded folk who are looking to buy a practical used bike for commuting, and don't know enough about bikes to spot a good one from a rolling pile of crap (at the request of another MMM reader)

http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2012/01/buying-bikes-from-craigslist.html

Very nice, thanks!

Demasoni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
I have a surly crosscheck and Jamie Sputnik fixed gear

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »
My girlfriend has this cyclocross bike, which was $400 and does just about everything you can ask of it:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_cx.htm
It has wide-range gearing, fat road tires, rack/fender eyelets, drop handlebars, and secondary brake levers on the flats of the bars. It's also not nearly as ugly as most BikesDirect bikes.

It's not quite as versatile as a Cross Check (no horizontal dropouts for singlespeed conversions) and has parts one or two spec levels lower, but it costs a third as much. The parts can always be upgraded when they wear out, or with opportunistic used purchases.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
I have the 3/4 year old version of this http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_2_fx/

Before that I had a more "beginner" bike, which was really heavy. I like my current bike, it's both heavy and light enough that I feel I can control it.

I'm far from a hardcore biker though.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »
My favorite topic. +1 on the Surly Crosscheck - cyclocross bikes are extremely versatile, fit various tire sizes, accommodate fenders and are great to ride. I still own this and ride it when I'm not with my kids, but when with my kids I ride the bicycle below - a bakfiets. I think I'm pretty unmustachian when it comes to riding bikes (although, I do ride almost everywhere and having bikes that work for various purposes prevent me from buying a car that would do those things) - but like I've heard mentioned on here before, sometimes it pays to get something wonderful you use all the time. In this case, my bikes are glorious to ride and I ride them almost always.

No matter what bike you buy, I must suggest the kevlar reinforced tires (mentioned above) and, buy a jug of green slime to slime your tubes and prevent even more flats (way cheaper than buying slime tubes). The doubly whammy has me avoiding flats even in my goathead slathered town of Englewood, CO.

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
I ride a mountain bike in the city. & I love it.

I scored this $370 Treck for $150 ( I have the 2006 model ) and when I bought it off craigslist it only had 15miles on it. WHAT UP.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820/#

The Taminator

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
I ride this: http://www.usedottawa.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=18478514&position=1&hb=1

Though this isn't my ride, I just found a picture of the model on the internet.  I inherited it about 5 years ago. It was made by a local shop that is no longer making them. I have no idea what it's worth but when I brought it to a bike shop to get it fitted for a rack the mechanic said that it's a "high end racing bike." Cool. It's a great ride! It's 15 inches, 24 speed and the lightest bike I've ever owned. I think it's aluminum.  I've added a rack to carry panniers.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »
Nashbar steel road bike

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_522811_-1___202339

Bought it without really knowing anything about bikes. Love it except I don't have a low enough gear for climbing the hill on my commute. 42/52T on a 30lb bike makes for some tough climbing.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
If I knew what I know now I'd probably look for a used Surly Pacer: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

I think they run around $1,300 new.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
StashinIt-- it's pretty easy to swap in either a rear cassette with larger cogs or a smaller front chainring to allow for a wider gear range.

Something like this would probably work:
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-PG850-11-32T-Speed-Cassette/dp/B000NNX2P4/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352844127&sr=1-1&keywords=8+speed+cassette

You might also need to replace the chain if your current one isn't long enough, or if you've done a lot of miles on your current chain/cassette combo.

To swap them you need a cassette tool & chain whip:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Cassette-Lockring-Removal/dp/B000WY8LNC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352844228&sr=1-1&keywords=cassette+tool
http://www.amazon.com/IceToolz-53A2-Chainwhip/dp/B0028N8S2E/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1352844284&sr=1-3&keywords=chain+whip
If you have a local bike coop, they might have some available for you to use.

zoltani

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
AFAIK you can add links to a chain, you don't have to replace it if it is not long enough.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »
I also just got an old Schwinn World road bike off craigslist.  So I'm up to two bikes now!

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
StashinIt-- it's pretty easy to swap in either a rear cassette with larger cogs or a smaller front chainring to allow for a wider gear range.

+1. I put this crankset on both my and my wife's bikes to deal with pulling the bike trailer up hills. You do need a crank puller, though (I used this one).

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
AFAIK you can add links to a chain, you don't have to replace it if it is not long enough.
That's only a good idea if you have leftover links from the same chain, so far as I've heard. Otherwise the hacked-together chain bits can be prone to breakage.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »

The moderators should take a page from one of the other very popular blogs I follow (www.toytowngermany.com) They are very aggressive at merging and moving posts so you don't get the same question posted over and over again. It's annoying at first but helps keep to keep the forum clean.

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
Pretty basic, hybrid commuter bike. It has more of an upright position, which is much better for my back. Too many gears for me, I use about 4 of them (out of 21). The current tires are hybrid-style: flat in the middle with more treads on the outsides. I sewed some roll-up panniers for the rack I have on the back, great for lots of groceries!

For winter, I've been adding:
- I bought some mountain bike style tires, yet to be switched out
- New lights (the lower-end ones that MMM recommended, since I realized one time that about 1/2 the streets I ride on have no lights!)
- Gloves (I need to get out some warmer ones I have though)
- Rain pants that go over my jeans and are waterproof
- Just bought a baklava face warmer thing today! yay!
- Got some warm winter boots last weekend
- Sunglasses w/ changeable lenses so I can wear clear lenses once I'm out in the dark

Think I'm ready for the buffalo snow? Only time will tell...

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
Haven't seen them anywhere else but over here, Germany you can buy studded bike tires. my brother in law bikes year round (put 25,000K on his remcombent (sp) ) before having to replace it), I'll have ask him what he does during the winter.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Haven't seen them anywhere else but over here, Germany you can buy studded bike tires. my brother in law bikes year round (put 25,000K on his remcombent (sp) ) before having to replace it), I'll have ask him what he does during the winter.

There are US importers of studded tires.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

There are US importers of studded tires.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/
Or get 'em mailed from the UK for much less.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »
A Peugeot Monaco ladies bike that I bought from yard sale 9 years ago for $20.  Changed one tire, greased some parts, added a rack and some lights.  Then used this bike to commute the 3 miles to school/work in the Northeast for 5 years in all seasons.  Had to change the rear brake cable once but it's still going strong.  Sadly, I'm nervous about commuting to work in my current location - narrow windy hilly roads with no shoulders and fast impatient drivers.  Maybe I'll do a test ride on a weekend soon.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
My townie (risky spots where it's more likely to be stolen) Bianchi Nyala -craigslist
The bike that does all the hard work Cannondale Beast of the East  with an Xtracycle Free Radical-police auction
And then there's my vintage Raleigh superbe-  bought it for a bike that I could ride somewhere in nice clothes, but it's so fun that I'll use any excuse to "have" to ride it ;-)- also  craigslist

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
I use a 1990s (I think?) Diamondback Approach that I got for $150 after trading in an older, too-small mountain bike. It's a commuter bike: mountain bike frame with road bike tires. I added a milk crate basket on the back, lights, and removed the foot holsters so I could wear winter boots while riding :)

I grease the hell out of it and it rides like butter (though the gearshift is getting a bit crappy lately). I think it will last another year or so and then I may have to upgrade again. It has served me well. The seat looks hilarious as it is wrapped completely in duct tape.

The one thing I can't figure out is how, after greasing the chain, not to get grease on my pants legs? (currently I wear gaiters but they are a pain.) I would also like to add fenders or splash guards.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Here's my commuter.  It's a Giant I got while living in Taiwan.  Pretty light and rides nice.  Unfortunately I seem to have gotten one that is slightly too large for me and with the box on the back has caused some dis/mounting issues.  This thread looks pretty good and I might consider getting another bike for daily commuting and save this for those long trips.

You might notice the bicycle stand which is held up with a bungee cord.  I find it a little annoying to put on and take off at home so I figured this was a good compromise.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
I would like a trike. Especially for winters. I don't currently bike to work but have thought about it. I am only 2 miles. I have a bad shoulder (dislocated twice) so I kinda have a fear of falling (ice in Iowa). But a slick trike would be awesome. Add a small gas motor to it and I would probably ride it every day.

I have a 7 yo that I pick up from school every day. I would have to figure out something for him. He might rebel at being hauled in a trailer though.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »
Here's my commuter.  It's a Giant I got while living in Taiwan.  Pretty light and rides nice.  Unfortunately I seem to have gotten one that is slightly too large for me and with the box on the back has caused some dis/mounting issues.  This thread looks pretty good and I might consider getting another bike for daily commuting and save this for those long trips.

You might notice the bicycle stand which is held up with a bungee cord.  I find it a little annoying to put on and take off at home so I figured this was a good compromise.

I have the same problem with the crate on the back. You have to perfect the "forward dismount" by which I mean kicking up one leg and crossing it over the crossbar as if you were crossing your legs, then standing with the other foot on the pedal, with both legs to one side of the bike. Then you can just step off. It takes some practice but you look uber cool doing it.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
I have the same problem with the crate on the back. You have to perfect the "forward dismount" by which I mean kicking up one leg and crossing it over the crossbar as if you were crossing your legs, then standing with the other foot on the pedal, with both legs to one side of the bike. Then you can just step off. It takes some practice but you look uber cool doing it.

I had the dismount perfected with throwing my leg over the back in a similar fashion before adding the box.  I'll have to practice the dismount going over the crossbar but I'm afraid I'll fumble it and end up with my face on the ground instead of my feet.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »
practice on some grass first ;-)

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 05:13:36 AM »
I would like a trike. Especially for winters. I don't currently bike to work but have thought about it. I am only 2 miles. I have a bad shoulder (dislocated twice) so I kinda have a fear of falling (ice in Iowa). But a slick trike would be awesome. Add a small gas motor to it and I would probably ride it every day.

I have a 7 yo that I pick up from school every day. I would have to figure out something for him. He might rebel at being hauled in a trailer though.

Attached is my used-new 3 year old trike. It was used for an industrial setting and is heavy duty. Since this photo was taken, I replaced the tyres to Maxxis and had a kevlar insert for puncture-resistance, new saddle, side mirror and handlebars. So I pimped it up so I can use it for local shopping and picnics. Nothing beats riding the trike and seeing the cars go around and around the park looking for parking as I just unroll the picnic rug.

Before my kid rode on two wheels, I placed him in the basket, placed a couple of cushions with him too so he was comfortable. Didn't have a seat belt but he did wear a helmet. Bought it for $200 off ebay but have spent the same for service and upgrades. Am planning to buy a dust cover for it too - padded if possible :)

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
Cycling, restoring steel framed bikes (for my collection or resale) is my hobby.  I mostly own and commute on road bikes.  I have one single speed / fixie, one breakaway cyclocross bike, and an awesome electric recumbent trike.  Here is one of the non-steel bikes,  a 2008 Kestrel that I built from a frameset.  The wheels are borrowed from another bike until I finish a 3 bike wheel swap.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Cycling, restoring steel framed bikes (for my collection or resale) is my hobby.  I mostly own and commute on road bikes.  I have one single speed / fixie, one breakaway cyclocross bike, and an awesome electric recumbent trike.  Here is one of the non-steel bikes,  a 2008 Kestrel that I built from a frameset.  The wheels are borrowed from another bike until I finish a 3 bike wheel swap.

Is the electric recumbent a trike?

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »

Yes, it is a trike.  Two wheels up front, one in the back.   The style is called a tadpole.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Yes, it is a trike.  Two wheels up front, one in the back.   The style is called a tadpole.

I would love to have one. I am thinking about trying to build one. The city landfill is close and has bikes you can recycle there.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »

I would love to have one. I am thinking about trying to build one. The city landfill is close and has bikes you can recycle there.
You are one of the lucky ones,  a bikeforums member lives near a landfill that is overrun with awesome high end steel framed bikes.  Our second hand stores have nothing but high priced junk.   I source my bikes at community yard sales,  Craiglist, friends, and leaving flyers door to door.  It's much easier and cheaper to repair / restore / update than to build from new or used parts.  When I say build, it is similar to putting together a computer these days.   It is more like selecting components and assembling.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:55:13 AM »
I got this bike for 250$(can)

It's an old cannondale touring bike. Built like a tank and fast.
You shouldn't commute in anything but a road bike. Ever. If you are unfortunate enough to own a non-road bike, melt it down right now and upgrade to an actually efficient machine that turns you into a true badass. Leave those mountain and hybrid bikes for the cramped garages of the weekend warriors. 

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
You shouldn't commute in anything but a road bike. Ever. If you are unfortunate enough to own a non-road bike, melt it down right now and upgrade to an actually efficient machine that turns you into a true badass. Leave those mountain and hybrid bikes for the cramped garages of the weekend warriors. 

This reminds me of the Brooklyn hipsters with their fixies, who look hilarious pedaling as fast as they can down hills because they can't stop pedaling. Yet they claim anyone who has gears is not a badass. Okay, you don't sound THAT elitist :) The funniest is when they "show me up" by making sure to pass me on uphills. Nevermind I'm carrying a week's worth of groceries.

Personally I'd rather have my cheap ass mountain/road bike than the flashy drop bar spandex-inducing pro-bikes. I love my DIY unaerodynamic milk crate, thank you! Plus I can leave it locked outside overnight without some db stealing it and/or my wheels.

(Though I would take a $250 road bike if I found one.) *EDIT: That sounded like I would steal one. No, I mean I would BUY one at that price.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:45:22 PM by jrez »