Author Topic: Slow leak  (Read 2573 times)

gillstone

• Bristles
Slow leak
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
We have a very slow leak coming from our toilet and into our crawlspace but not onto the bathroom floor.  I pulled the toilet and repalced the wax seal and inspected the flange (it was fine).  The leak slowed considerably but has not stopped - something like an half an ounce of wastewater a day. 

I am resealing the PVC joints this weekend to see if its a possible leak from the short length of drain pipe before it bends away from the wet spot.

If the pipes are sealed, the flange is intact and the wax seal is new are there any other possible culprits I need to consider?

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Slow leak
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »
We had something like this and I had gotten no further than, "Note to self:  check into that" than our entire drain system stopped working.  It turned out we had roots and/or bad installation that had resulted in our drain pipe being connected not to our (newish) septic tank, but just ending in the dirt.  This is not good.

Is there any possibility of a stop-up in your system, either septic or sewer, that is causing water not to flow out of your drain system? 

Once the severity of our problem became obvious, it was really, really obvious.  But that took a couple of weeks.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »
Might want to move this one to the DIY forum.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Post has been moved to DIY forums

judgemebymyusername

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
I DIY as much as the next guy, probably even more, but for things with plumbing and electricity, I do my best and then call in the professionals. Personally I wouldn't risk the potential damage that could be caused by this leaking, and I would just call someone to check it out. It could be a sign of bigger issues.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!