Author Topic: Alcohol free  (Read 37867 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Alcohol free
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
I took a dare from some family of going the month of January without alcohol (this was a few days before the New Years). There is still about 10 days left in the month, but I think I shall continue this. The benefits feel great in that my body has become sensitive a drink or two affects me the next morning. Waking up feeling refreshed and energetic feels amazing! Added bonus in that this will save me a huge chunk of money when going out.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
Re: Alcohol free
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
I went one whole year without drinking (2011).

My observations:

GOOD:
- It's fairly easy yet amazes everyone
- It makes bars / restaurants a lot cheaper and no less fun
- Saves a lot of money
- Prevents you from eating horrible things while you're drunk + saves you the calories from the alcohol

BAD:
- You will have to refuse a lot of free drinks that people taunt you with.
- It makes parties much more boring
- It doesn't change your tolerance to alcohol

It's a good experiment to do just to know you're in control. After that year I knew that I didn't need alcohol in my life, not that it was ever a problem. I drink less ever since that year, maybe on average a drink or two per week. Probably 5-6 times less than before.
Since I wasn't counting my money at the time, I have no idea what kinds of savings this represents. You should definitely count if you're doing this! Compare your regular alcohol budget to know and let us know.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
I also decided to do this, as a just for fun way to super boost my health (not because I felt I had a dependency problem). I started on the 16th, also giving up coffee- so far I have noticed that my skin looks a lot...fresher? I can't really describe it, just less blotchy or something. I also like the super refreshed feeling in the morning, I usually have a couple of beers maybe three nights a week, then go out bigger one weekend night. Its been surprisingly really easy- I was shooting for doing it for 6 weeks just to see what the effects are.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
GOOD:
- It makes bars / restaurants a lot cheaper and no less fun

BAD:
- It makes parties much more boring

I only did a month of no alcohol and noticed this dichotomy as well...I don't think I have gone to a non-themed party since.  Seems to me that the bar/restaurant atmosphere is more about being with friends and doing fun things (darts, pool, karaoke, etc.) and parties (especially ones that have no real theme to them) are more for getting hammered.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
Good for you!

I love my alcohol free life! I know a lot of non drinkers, so it doesn't seem out there to me at all to not drink.

Yes my GF doesn't drink and as I get older I start to notice a clear split into friends who drink and friends who don't and there seems to be a clear streak of loserism that builds up as people keep drinking and partying into their late-20s and early-30s.

Definitely a good age to start experimenting with no drinking... I have friends who spend thousands still in fancy clubs, bars and restaurants. Just getting drunk one night a week is easily 40-60$...

While I sort of feel bad for the people I know who never drank and never experienced super fun parties of drunken awesome, it certainly doesn't seem that THEY feel they missed out on anything... Though to be honest those people are kind of boring usually. There's stories you get when drunk that last a lifetime. Can't put a price on that!

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
Good for you!

I love my alcohol free life! I know a lot of non drinkers, so it doesn't seem out there to me at all to not drink.

Yes my GF doesn't drink and as I get older I start to notice a clear split into friends who drink and friends who don't and there seems to be a clear streak of loserism that builds up as people keep drinking and partying into their late-20s and early-30s.

Why do you think that is? I ask because I notice it too- my friends who are a bit older than me, but who drink like I did in my early twenties just seem really...stagnant? What's your take? I was literally just thinking about it and didn't realize it was something other people were noticing too so I'm interested in what you think. (I'm turning 27 in a few months.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Good for you!

Why do you think that is? I ask because I notice it too- my friends who are a bit older than me, but who drink like I did in my early twenties just seem really...stagnant? What's your take? I was literally just thinking about it and didn't realize it was something other people were noticing too so I'm interested in what you think. (I'm turning 27 in a few months.)

My theory for stagnation like this is that they are in a state where they are content. They may want to stay like this, which for some people is fine. For me, I know that it isn't. I know people that act the same way they did in college and some are successful and others aren't. For my life I want something more than going out during the week and weekend, and having my social life revolve around bar tabs, but that's just me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
I have been alcohol free since 1/3/12.  I like it.  It simplifies my life.  And it saves $$.  And I don't have to worry about DUIs.  Or saying stupid things.  Well, I probably say stupid things when I'm sober.  :)

Almost all of my hockey buddies drink--lots.  And they range in age from 30s - 60s.  and most of them drink and drive after hockey games.  Scary to me.

Some of you might be interested in this interview, in which write Anna Quindlen discusses her decision to quit alcohol.  She starts talking about it at 26:44.  I think it's a very thoughtful explanation.  (Actually, the whole interview is great.)

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/24/150738848/anna-quindlen-over-50-and-having-plenty-of-cake

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »

Lack of ambition mostly.
They have no grand desires for riches, families, job promotions etc. so they are content to live day by day doing the same routine of indulging a typically costly pointless hobby ( drinking, video games, comics, clubbing, eating out etc. ).

They live perpetually like teenagers, really. Smoking pot, drinking, going to bars, buying useless cluttering garbage. When it's girls it's more about shopping for more useless clothes or going out to fancy places where they have a hard time not laughing at you when they take your money for a 13$ 2ounce drink.

That's how most people live anyway, until eventually they have to decide if they want to keep living that way or have kids, at which point all their energy becomes devoted to their kids.

Not saying there's anything wrong with living that way. I mean, what can you do in life that's not a waste of time, really? But if you plan on retiring early then you can't be wasting all your money on this garbage, clearly, and have to find something else to occupy your free time.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
I have stopped drinking during the week, I notice relatively little difference the morning after a beer or two the previous evening.  I mostly do it to try to get a thing or two more done in the evening, read a bit more or hack some computer code or watch something more interesting and educational than Mythbusters testing if x-y-z will blow up when 2lb of TnT is put under it.  Spoiler alert-it normally does in fact blow up.  Also am in it for the calorie reduction both direct and indirect from making poorer food choices.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
I've always found drinking rather mind-boggling.  I can't think of a much worse thing (ok, other than the truly HORRIBLE things in the world, torture, murder, etc) than a lack of complete control over oneself.  The idea that someone would do that to themselves on purpose just blows my mind.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
But not all alcohol users drink to excess.  I don't think we should paint with such a broad brush.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 05:41:41 PM »
I've gotten drunk once (night before my wedding, thanks to my best man). Makes for a funny story and my wife laughed so hard at me on the phone that night but I have zero interest to have more "drunk stories".

Tried doing zero alcohol this month as well. Made it about two weeks. Feel better without it and I know I need to be careful with it, but it's hard to work on my fiction without a mild amount of alcohol (1 drink every couple hours, life of the party, woo!) so I don't know that I'll ever quit entirely.

On the $$ side, my wife and I were married and had our first kid right after hitting drinking age, so we had zero exposure to the bar culture. The few times I have been in a bar watching other people, it blows my mind. I'd much rather drink at home, at a cookout, etc.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing, OP. I need to try this. I don't drink to excess but I do have a drink (and sometimes two) 3-4 times a week. I know it effects my sleep, and it also causes me to make worse food choices when I have two drinks.

I so enjoy a glass of wine after a rough day at work, though! It is a hard habit to break.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:12 AM »
I went one whole year without drinking (2011).

It's a good experiment to do just to know you're in control.
I'm currently almost two months in the same challenge, for the exact reason of knowing I'm in control. So far, it's been rather easy, but I fear the summer. I love a crisp white wine on a hot summer day.

The only exceptions I make is having allowed myself a single glass on Christmas, NYE and my birthday. Besides that, no alcohol until November 29th..

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »
I'm doing this too...as an experiment.

JD Roth just posted about this and captured things quite nicely:
http://www.jdroth.com/alcohol-body/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »
I'm doing this too...as an experiment.

JD Roth just posted about this and captured things quite nicely:
http://www.jdroth.com/alcohol-body/

Read that post yesterday. That was a really interesting read, and I'm REALLY liking where he's taking his blog this year. My reaction to alcohol is nowhere that extreme, but to any regular drinkers, it's definitely worth drying yourself out on occasion just to compare/contrast how your body feels. Much like research that suggests occasional fasting is good as well.

TheRealMFC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »
I quit drinking a year and a half ago. Looking at the difference between my father's side of the family (basically all non drinkers) and my mother's (tons of heavy drinkers), I decided that I didn't want to end up like most of the people on my mothers's side. There is a lot alcoholism on that side. Lots of broken families and health issues because of it too. I saw that trend developing in myself, so I quit.

It was an adjustment, but these days I can honestly say that I have just as much fun at parties even though I'm sober. I used to use alcohol to help me loosen up a little bit, but I've found that it isn't really necessary. I just cut loose as if I were drunk :). Waking up the next day without a hangover is really nice.

A mustachian bonus is the $ saved. I have a very high tolerance, so I ended up drinking quite a lot of alcohol over the course of a month.

Reue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »
Ive also gave up drinking for Jan (As part of  a UK national charity thing).

Personally, I've not noticed any positive differences so far. I suppose it does save money, however i 95% drank at home anyway so bought alcohol relatively cheaply in bulk. 

I almost wish there had been some noticeable changes so I'd have some reasoning to continue the challenge, however its only been negatives so far...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:25:49 AM by Reue »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 12:29:48 PM »
I've stopped drinking alcohol since college days.
I found out that uninhibited me is a very terrible person. I never want to know that side of me ever again.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I've always found drinking rather mind-boggling.  I can't think of a much worse thing (ok, other than the truly HORRIBLE things in the world, torture, murder, etc) than a lack of complete control over oneself.  The idea that someone would do that to themselves on purpose just blows my mind.

What you may sacrifice in control, you can gain in perspective, enjoyment, interpersonal bonding, relaxation, and/or creativity.  It's usually a good trade.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
Meh. I don't notice any difference one way or the other--usually have 4 oz. of wine per day, usually just before dinner--just because I like it, not particularly for an effect one way or the other. If I don't have it, it's no big deal. I do like to have a hot whiskey and lemon instead of wine if I have a cold. (Like now.) Recipe: In a teacup put 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 whole cloves, and one shot glass of whiskey. Fill with boiling water from the kettle and drink as hot as you can stand it.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
I quit drinking a year and a half ago. Looking at the difference between my father's side of the family (basically all non drinkers) and my mother's (tons of heavy drinkers), I decided that I didn't want to end up like most of the people on my mothers's side. There is a lot alcoholism on that side. Lots of broken families and health issues because of it too. I saw that trend developing in myself, so I quit.

Good for you. I have a proud history of chronic alcoholism on my father's side (dad, uncle, grandfather, possibly great-grandfather, not sure on that one) so I've basically never been a drinker. I was falling down drunk once and although I'd recommend the experience - once - I wouldn't care to repeat it.

This whole "don't drink for a month" thing confuses me.

Last year, I went through a glass of wine on Thanksgiving at my mom's, over half a bottle of wine on Christmas (self-medicating to tolerate the in-law circus) and had a glass of champagne on NYE.

That may be my entire intake for last year.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
The family members that dared me to give up alcohol for a month are non-drinkers. They wanted me to see the benefits of zero alcohol and I am convinced and am going to keep this up. It's healthier, cheaper, and has increased my productivity.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
It is a bit strange for someone who is not from an Anglo-Saxon culture to hear about "drinking", especially those like me who are of Mediterranean origins...

Wine, appéritifs before lunch and digestives after a meal are an integral part of a good life and conviviality. Like having a morning cappuccino or afternoon espresso. There is nothing unhealthy about it, in fact I'd bet to the contrary. Except for the real alcolo and the fringe binge drinking culture sneakily permeatting from the other side of the Channel in the younger generation, I think having wine and coffee are a part of what the dolce vitae means whether one swims in money or not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by ykphil »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Yeah it is a different culture here in the US with regards to alcohol. I used to date a Frenchwomen who of course grew up in a vastly different environment.

Reue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:45 AM »
Except for the real alcolo and the fringe binge drinking culture sneakily permeatting from the other side of the Channel in the younger generation,

I think thats an unfair comment in both timescales to suggest it is a modern issue and source.

The Insititute of Alcohol Studies has found the Nordic countries to be the highest 'binge drinkers' in Europe, particularly amongst teenagers and young adults.

Similarly you need only look east on the mainland to point to finger at binge drinking with regards to spirits.

prestojx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
I decided to quit drinking because when I drink, I break out in handcuffs!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
I decided to quit drinking because when I drink, I break out in handcuffs!

and I thought I was the only one.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »

Depends on your scene. Drinking is an expected thing for middle aged white professional in Chicago, and to totally not drink you would be excluded from a lot of social situations.

What I try to do for a balance between staying social and staying frugal /healthy I

a) Don't drink alone too much, last week I had 1 beer on Friday, the week before no drinks alone.
b) Limit my going to a bar to 1 time on most weeks
c) Limit my drinks at said bar to 1 or 2 drinks. Enough for me to feel relaxed and more social, not enough to have any effect on my the next morning.

I would say I average 0-5 drinks a week on this system, seems to work out great so far.  Getting trashed at a party days are gone for me, but I won't avoid my coworkers heading out for a beer after work.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »

Drinking 1 or 2 beers causes no loss of control, and you can even find studies that show a small health benefit.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
Drinking is an expected thing for middle aged white professional in Chicago, and to totally not drink you would be excluded from a lot of social situations.

I have a hard time believing this.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
Drinking is an expected thing for middle aged white professional in Chicago, and to totally not drink you would be excluded from a lot of social situations.

I have a hard time believing this.

Booze is the social lube of Chicago. It's a pretty normal thing. We are pretty free flowing.

It's not like you would be fired if you don't drink, but you will not have as many connections or friends.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
On Saturday I went to an opera premier and feel happy that I didn't imbibe. It saved me a ton of money during the intermissions and during the after party, plus roads were absolutely terrible to drive on so I am happy that I was not at all impaired.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:37 AM »

What you may sacrifice in control, you can gain in perspective, enjoyment, interpersonal bonding, relaxation, and/or creativity.  It's usually a good trade.

I never got any of those benefits - it just made me tired and cranky. I never managed to get drunk, because alcohol apparently lowers my toleration for social contact, so I just went home after 2 cocktails. Now I only have an occasional nightcap (brandy in tea is excellent after coming in from a cold bicycle ride) or Radler (after a long hot ride in the summer). Both are usually enjoyed in blissful solitude.

DumpTruck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
I quite drinking for 9 months just for fun. More energy, better sleep, but I didn't get to drink Dark Rye IPAs anymore. I ended up choosing the latter because it's like a party in your mouth you don't even need to go to a party.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Two months into my year without alcohol as of yesterday. I really start noticing the increase in energy and better quality sleep as well. Shame most of it is undone by our newborn, but I can't imagine how I'd feel at the moment had I been drinking regularly as well.

Wanderer

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 03:51:30 AM »
I quit drinking last spring because we were trying to get pregnant.  Since then I've gained over 20 lbs, had backaches, sciatica, achey feet. . .  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Seriously though it seems like some of the people posting in this thread think there are two alternatives:  teetotalling and getting falling-down drunk.  You can drink without actually getting inebriated, it's in the amount that you drink.  If you have one drink (and that's not necessarily the same as one glass of something!) a few times a week, you're probably not going to notice any different in how you feel if you quit besides the good old placebo effect.  If you were drinking many days a week and getting hungover once or twice a week, you probably will feel better. 

In moderation drinking seems to have a positive effect on health, most consistently seen with red wine (least consistently with beer--sorry!)  Wine, especially red wine, repeatedly shows up in studies of diet and mortality and morbidity.  I'm sure there's a confounding effect that people who tend to drink wine also tend to have other differences in their diet (more vegetables, less red meat, more nuts, etc.) and lifestyle but even when controlling for these there seems to be a benefit to drinking red wine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
I'm "dry" this year as part of a weight loss plan.  I lose better if I don't drink, and that means nothing with alcohol - it is just empty carbohydrates that my body processes into fat.  I do miss my occasional sherry before dinner, or glass of wine with dinner, but not enough to keep drinking.  I never drink much when I am out, because I have to drive afterwards, so that is not a big loss.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
Liking the results, I have decided to keep this up and continue going without alcohol. My goal is to go the rest of the year without imbibing. Right now I am really liking the mental and physical benefits which include, but aren't limited to

-Not spending money on drinks and food...on Saturday I went to an opera premier and getting drinks at intermission would have been $10 or so and then drinks at the after party $10 and then I would been tempted to get fast food on the way home.
-Less calories, alcohol has them and consuming things like fast food afterwards happens. Eliminating both feels good
-More energy in the morning. I've noticed that even a drink or two and I can feel it in the morning.

needmyfi

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
Dh is an alcoholic-sober over 30 years now -quit in his twenties before we started dating.  I like always having a driver and never having to worry he'll do something stupid while drunk.  I love beer but neither waistline or financial goals have been met so no beer yet in 2014!  Back on track financially next Fri-two holiday pounds to go.

Moderation is great if you can do it (me), if not then total abstinence is the way to go (husband).

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
A box of wine every few weeks for me... I don't smoke, do any sort of recreational drug (or take any prescription meds of any sort), drag race, sky dive or run with scissors. I have to have something :)

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
I like drinks, but they make me fat (and they trick me into eating more snacks).  So I'm avoiding them until I reach a weight loss goal -probably only for another week or two.

Numbers Man

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
I don't mind drinking a few beers once in awhile. But it's amazing that one of the questions that every new Doctor that I have seen asks you if you drink alcohol on a regular basis. So I'm guessing that moderation or abstinence is better for your overall health.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
I like drinks, but they make me fat (and they trick me into eating more snacks).  So I'm avoiding them until I reach a weight loss goal -probably only for another week or two.

It sounds like the snacks are making you fat? I save most of my weekly glass of wine until after dinner which is then my dessert. No compulsion to eat more or snack then.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »

It sounds like the snacks are making you fat? I save most of my weekly glass of wine until after dinner which is then my dessert. No compulsion to eat more or snack then.

I have seen this too, where my food choices significantly go down hill with a drink or two.  Not just eating the wrong stuff (cuz bad stuff is not in the house) but going back for seconds or thirds when I am no where near hungry.  Something about Alcohol and self restraint...

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
I've had a couple of stints of non drinking in recent years, ranging from a few one month offs, a three month and even a six month. While the short ones are good for a quick contrast between the benefits of drinking or not, it is the longer ones that allow you to truly clear your head and think about your relationship with alcohol.

During my six month off stint, I wrote a pros/cons list of drinking and found the pros list was completely dwarfed by the cons list. While I don't have the list on hand at the moment to mention the specifics, the cons list covered numerous behavioural, escapism, social, health and cost issues that were quite scary to look at in totality, despite me never having been what I would consider a problem drinker. 

The pros list is easy to remember, as there are very few occasions in which I have found alcohol to have an overall positive effect on a situation for me. These are:
1. A drink or two, but no more, with a special meal. This can significantly enhance the eating and social experience.
2. A drink in the hand sipped slowly over the course of a few hours at a social event. As much as I am happy to not drink at all at social functions, non-drinkers will likely attest to my observation that others can get visibly offended if you are not having a drink to the point where it starts to spoil your experience, especially if they know you used to drink a bit at social events previously. A bit of a cop out I know, but I am talking about an overall positive effect on such a situation.
3. A small drink to toast a special event eg. birthday, NYE, major milestone.

I now try to limit my drinking to such situations in my pros list. Occasionally there will be scope creep (eg. on holiday or around Xmas most evening meals could be rationalised as "special" if you let it), but for the most part I now stick to this. I still like to have the odd month off (January just gone was the last) to keep my perspective on drinking. 

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »
I enjoyed reading this thread - I quit drinking a year ago in preparation for RE, with the thought process being "I don't want to drink as a substitute for work."  I've seen a few family members retire early-ish (55) and have nothing to do with their time, and so they increase drinking as a way of numbing themselves out and passing the hours.  I needed to be sure that I'm not just going to hit it hard since I have nothing better to do.  (I'm 36)

And it's been fantastic.  I no longer feel as though I'm depriving myself when I'm not drinking.  My mood is much better, energy levels are higher, and I'm able to work out harder.  I've almost 180'd on this, and view drinking as a sort of punishment to myself, considering the adverse affects on sleep, appetite, drive. 

I'm not saying I'll never have a drink again, but it's a different perspective.  Time without alcohol has helped me to see that it wasn't ever a positive thing for me.  Not saying this is true for everyone -- we all have differences in body chemistry and react to the drug differently.  But I'm very glad (relieved might be the best word) that the drinking part of my life is over. 

2. A drink in the hand sipped slowly over the course of a few hours at a social event. As much as I am happy to not drink at all at social functions, non-drinkers will likely attest to my observation that others can get visibly offended if you are not having a drink to the point where it starts to spoil your experience, especially if they know you used to drink a bit at social events previously. A bit of a cop out I know, but I am talking about an overall positive effect on such a situation.

My trick here is to get a cola at the bar (so no one can see the receipt) and tell people I'm drinking rum and coke or a long island iced tea.  They look the same and honestly nobody cares.  I just don't advertise that I'm not drinking.  As others have observed, folks kind of hate it when they're drinking and you're not -- they think you're trying to be superior or something strange and get uncomfy. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
Had not thought about drinking as a replacement for time spent at work,  this might be a good thing to leap I  mind.