Author Topic: Bing, get ~$5 a month to browse the internet?  (Read 63811 times)

Quaglar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bing, get ~$5 a month to browse the internet?
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
I was browsing through a reddit discussion when someone pointed out that they use bing because their rewards program allows them to use Hulu plus free every month. After looking into it I found that this was in fact the case.

In fact, I also found that you can redeem bing points for Amazon gift cards. Based off of that it looks really doable if you are a heavy internet search user ( 30+ searches a day) to get about $5 bucks a month for Amazon. If you are interested, here is a link to signup:

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_d357a2a2-9c0a-c1eb-b80c-bcc50b7370ff

Full disclosure, that is my refer a friend link.

It's not much, but from my perspective it seems that Google search is not $60 a year better than bing. Further, if the bing search doesn't give you want you want, you can always just jump over to google to search it and still get points for the initial search.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bing, get ~$5 a month to browse the internet?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
It doesn't seem to work for me. I click the join with Microsoft or Facebook buttons and nothing happens. I even tried creating a Microsoft account, and using Internet Explorer to view the page...

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
Your link worked for me. I just signed up.

Here's mine: http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_e05dbea1-47fd-8871-a08f-0864c542a6d6

Edited to add link. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:19:10 AM by worldstrad »

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
Do you know what my guilty pleasure is? Books.

It's my Achilles heel. I read more than 60 books in the month of June. I try not to buy any at all, because it's a very slippery slope. I let loose in December and bought more books than I feel comfortable admitting here.

$60/year in Amazon books from Bing coupled with my $50 book allowance from work?

I'll take it.

Quaglar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
Herbert Derp: Maybe the refer a friend link is the thing causing you a hiccup, perhaps just go to bing.com

ch12: Amazon cash may as well be company scrip for me. I don't know what I would have to use it for, but I am sure that there will be something for which Amazon bucks will come in handy.

Also, if more folks wanna post their refer a friend links for bing up here that may be a good way to spread out the benefit. I already have had a few people go through mine, but maybe if you have just sign up you should post your link so that some can use it to get you credit. Then when they are all signed up they can post theirs and so on and so forth. Just a thought.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »
I signed up with Quaglar's link. Thanks for posting and for suggesting the referral thread.

This reminds me of Swag Bucks, which I do from time to time when I'm bored. I'm interested to see which of the two yields more for the time spent.

Here's my Bing Rewards referral link if someone else is interested: http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_4f4682a9-3296-cf1b-4768-928c07d0d584
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:54:26 PM by michaelrecycles »

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:58:28 AM »
ch12: Amazon cash may as well be company scrip for me. I don't know what I would have to use it for, but I am sure that there will be something for which Amazon bucks will come in handy.

I'm like the irrational folks in the terrorism insurance study: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/10/03/5-examples-of-people-being-completely-irrational-w.aspx.

Take a 1993 study by four economists from Penn State, Temple University, and the University of Pennsylvania. They asked a group of participants how much they'd be willing to pay for $100,000 of travel insurance on a trip from the U.S. to Thailand. Participants were given two options. One, they could buy insurance covering death caused by acts of terrorism. Two, they could buy insurance covering death for any reason.

For terrorism insurance, the average participant was willing to pay $14.12. For insurance covering all causes of death, they were willing to pay $12.03.

Yes, people were willing to pay more for insurance covering terrorism than they were for insurance covering everything... including terrorism.

In his book The Science of Fear, Daniel Gardner wrote: "Logically that makes no sense, but 'terrorist acts' is a vivid phrase dripping with bad feelings, while 'all possible causes' is bland and empty." The emotions of hearing the word "terrorism" made people willing to pay more.

The following does not apply to people in the MMM forums (except me):
People find it easier to save for a reason than to save for the sake of saving. There's a story from Jim Wang of bargaineering.com in Ramit Sethi's IWT book. He saved for a house. His colleague, with an almost identical salary, couldn't save up enough money. His colleague asked Jim why Jim was able to save so much money. Jim replied that he saved for a goal: his first house. When he brought in lunch, it wasn't a choice between eating the sad sandwich he packed or going out for something freshly made. It was a choice between putting $10 towards the house or not. Jim also says that your friends will think that you're lame if you just stop going out. However, if you cut down on the nights you are out drinking because you're in the process of buying a house, your friends turn from unwitting detractors into cheerleaders.

Books make it worth it to me. Years ago, I did Mechanical Turk for this exact reason. I make/made more than the time that it takes to do this, but getting money in Amazon (which I personally earmark for books) is hugely motivating for me.

It's easier for me to justify having switched my search engine over to Bing by saying it's for books (terrorism) than blanket insurance. Books are emotionally rewarding for me.

And also:
http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_622f9fa4-0700-97b4-55ef-de4ca6a51e68
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:00:32 AM by ch12 »

VuwylkOnlezzyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
i signed up

Loretta

• Pencil Stache

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
I used Loretta's link.  Here is mine:

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_334ab1a7-fc70-e70a-f2d8-7f19cd5d605e

Thanks for getting this started!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »
Gah!  Not yet available in Canada.  Guess I'm sticking with swagbucks for now.

My goal is to get my son an xbox one for Christmas by selling stuff on kijiji, but I'm thinking I might save my swagbuck earned amazon gift cards in case it goes on sale there.  So I'll be saving and watching on Black Friday and following.  I do shop online Black Friday sometimes.  In this case, it might be warranted.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
I don't really like bing, although it's closing the gap with google (or put differently google is adding more stupid crap I don't want).  It's not worth half a cent per search ..

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
I dunno, it just doesn't work for me. When I click the button to sign up, nothing happens. I get an error page if I try to log in to my rewards account.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
Google doesn't pay me to do searches, but Microsoft will just to provide the same results (as far as my curiosity searches are concerned). I have no reason to not do it for now, and I naturally do about 30 searches per day on random things.

The rewards will likely evaporate at some point once they feel that they have grabbed enough market share, so I may as well do it now and purchase that book I wanted to read Predictably Irrational on Amazon. Supports myself and the author.

I used NinetyFour's link. Here's mine:
http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_0355bbad-732e-f1c2-3a95-76d25deeba54

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
Until this post I had forgotten I signed up for this a long time back. Thanks.

Here's my referrel link as well: [/size]http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_dacab2a5-f32c-c06f-fd2d-8dd06a5b57b7[/color]

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
It seems like there is a limit to the number of credits I can rack up in a day (or some time period).

I have been just typing in one word things (like "Cats", "Dogs", "Hockey") to try to do as many searches as I can in 5 minutes or so.  But the credit counter stops after a while.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have looked on their rewards page for an explanation, but have not found one.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
Looking at the TOS, it seems like MS reserves the right to disqualify any search that doesn't seem to be in good faith.

http://www.bing.com/rewards/tou

> Microsoft will determine what constitutes a search (hereafter “Search”). A Search is the act of an individual user manually entering text for the good faith purpose of obtaining results for such user’s own research purpose, as determined by Microsoft.

I suspect your queries don't look like they're in good faith to their algorithms, and are getting rejected from the rewards program.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
I've been using bing for over a year now and have gotten a ton of starbucks gift cards and money to use on groupons.  As far as the search results, I haven't missed using google at all.  I may be a bit biased, but I like how bing formats the results.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
I've been using bing for over a year now and have gotten a ton of starbucks gift cards and money to use on groupons.  As far as the search results, I haven't missed using google at all.  I may be a bit biased, but I like how bing formats the results.

Maybe I'll try it. The last time I took that "Bing vs. Google" test I scored almost perfectly (in that I could differentiate the two like 4 out of 5 times).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
The answers have improved a lot over the past few years, waaaay better than when Bing came out.

It is still having issues deciphering the search query though. For anyone used to punching "ABC store" and expecting a link to the nearest liquor cave from Google, yeah, that doesn't happen. The first top results aren't even in the correct state.

It's still pretty good, and we need competition in the search business, so yeah, keeping it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
The answers have improved a lot over the past few years, waaaay better than when Bing came out.

It is still having issues deciphering the search query though. For anyone used to punching "ABC store" and expecting a link to the nearest liquor cave from Google, yeah, that doesn't happen. The first top results aren't even in the correct state.

It's still pretty good, and we need competition in the search business, so yeah, keeping it.

On second thought, if I'm going to start using another search engine, I should really give https://duckduckgo.com/ my business since they don't do all the "evil" tracking like Google and Microsoft.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:02 PM »

On second thought, if I'm going to start using another search engine, I should really give https://duckduckgo.com/ my business since they don't do all the "evil" tracking like Google and Microsoft.
I'm rooting for DDG to succeed, I really am, but they need to start having their own crawlers instead of relying so heavily on other search engines to do the heavy lifting and then slapping a bunch of heuristics on the results.

Last time I checked, they were at the mercy of getting wiped out if the major engines started blocking their API calls.

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 09:29:33 AM »
It seems like there is a limit to the number of credits I can rack up in a day (or some time period).

I have been just typing in one word things (like "Cats", "Dogs", "Hockey") to try to do as many searches as I can in 5 minutes or so.  But the credit counter stops after a while.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have looked on their rewards page for an explanation, but have not found one.

There does appear to be a limit of 15 credits for searching or 30 searches (it takes 2 searches to equal one credit) to be precise if you are silver level. You can look at the rewards dashboard and it tells you only have 15 credits you can earn plus whatever daily thing they give out that gives you an additional 1 to 2 credits. Once you reach gold you can do 40 searches for 20 credits.

Doing some quick math it'll take 35 days of full maxing out just the searches for silver level and 26.25 days if your gold level to get 525 which is the what most things max out at cost (Xbox live and Xbox live music pass are the only things currently higher with 699 and 950 respectively). You can probably hit that a little faster with the daily credits as they are 1 to 3 depending on that day. Also if your Gold level the rewards are 10% off, so most items will be 472.5 points.

The best way to get the most points is to refer someone, it give 200 per referral up to 10 people. I'm unsure if that resets daily or not as I haven't gotten anyone to sign up that way.

So you can have multiple accounts for family members. However I have read they do ban accounts from earning points if they believe they are the same person just using it to get more rewards points.

So end all you can likely get one of the $5 gift cards roughly once a month with a few credits left over for the next month.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:32:14 AM by TKE Super Dave »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
I am up to 252 points.  Have reached Silver status.  I am halfway (in just a few days) to a $5 Amazon gift card.  It's easy to spend about 1 - 2 minutes per day typing in one search term after another until it reaches some limit.

Looks like a few people might have used my referral link, but I won't get any points from those referrals unless those folks reach 200 credits, I think.  So keep searching!!  And thanks!!

dirbyVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Thanks for posting - I could use the amazon cards.  Here is my link if anyone cares to help out:

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_ab598ba6-b719-1671-d5b8-e0259fed82c5

Dave.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
I like books, so this seems like a reasonable idea, but it looks like Bing has a deal with Daum for South Korea...

trugrit03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I like it. It looks like a decent reward for minimal work. I used dirbyVA's referral code. Here is mine:

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_744990ad-3e34-68d9-c1b8-8b5e1aa62032

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
Also, if you want the mathematically optimal choice, wait until you reach Gold status with 700 points + 1 item purchased, and use it on one of the 20 pt items, then your first amazon gift card is ~475 instead of the full 525. I'm sure you already thought that through though..

trugrit03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
I didn't think that one through, Shorlan, so I am glad you said something! Also, to anyone that is interested in signing up, in February you will START with 200 points if you follow the referral link. That means you start about 40% of the way there for a $5 Amazon card.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
Also, if you want the mathematically optimal choice, wait until you reach Gold status with 700 points + 1 item purchased, and use it on one of the 20 pt items, then your first amazon gift card is ~475 instead of the full 525. I'm sure you already thought that through though..

I had not thought that through either.  Thanks, Shorlan.

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
I use swagbucks as a search engine, which seems to be roughly the same thing (referral link: swagbucks.com/refer/wanderingbudget) . They have a variety of ways to earn though, for instance you can access Amazon through swagbucks and earn extra through purchases. 450sb=$5 amazon gift card. From my experience you can usually earn sb through searching a few times in the morning, afternoon and evening. Not much point doing more searches after you win in each part of the day.

This may work better for Canadians- I haven't tried bing, but I have no trouble with swagbucks and they can be redeemed for amazon.ca gift cards.

I keep a record of books that my library system doesn't carry but that I would like to read, and use the gift cards to purchase ebooks for my kindle while traveling.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »
Cool - I didn't know Bing had this feature. I signed up with trugrit03's link, but I don't think I started with 200 points?

Here is my referral link:
http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_ba3384a5-e685-96c0-7dd2-9be41442240d

Thanks! :)

trugrit03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
Kudy, it is showing you on mine for "credits pending." I think the points don't hit for either one of us until you get to Silver status.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
It's not much, but from my perspective it seems that Google search is not $60 a year better than bing. Further, if the bing search doesn't give you want you want, you can always just jump over to google to search it and still get points for the initial search.
I have never been even slightly satisfied with bing search in any way. My computer defaults to it (Thanks Win8! You rool!) and every time I inadvertently search something that way bing is so far off that I end up copying the query, firing up chrome, and googling it. I'd happily pay $5 a month not to have to deal with bing (in fact, I am by looking at google's more profitable ads).

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »
I have never been even slightly satisfied with bing search in any way. My computer defaults to it (Thanks Win8! You rool!) and every time I inadvertently search something that way bing is so far off that I end up copying the query, firing up chrome, and googling it. I'd happily pay $5 a month not to have to deal with bing (in fact, I am by looking at google's more profitable ads).

I agree Bing is not as good as google.  I was so frustrated using my daughters computer that had bing loaded on it. I told her I hated the search results and asked her why she didn't have google. She told me about the credits and that she gets $5 amazon credits. Not worth it, IMO.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:07:04 PM by Mrs. Green'stache »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
I'm confused.  You can always go to google.com in any browser right?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
Yes. The actual OS uses bing and AFAIK there's no way around it, and IE doesn't like to not use bing either. (Though I don't like to use IE, so maybe that part is okay).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:28:47 PM by grantmeaname »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
I really only use Bing to get the points all at once.

I just do a random search for something, and then click on the links in the 'Related Searches' section on the right, and roll the dice for what side of the internet I end up on.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
I use Bing for the rewards only. I am at the Gold status level and can earn 30 points a day for 90 searches = takes about 5 - 7 minutes. I also can earn 10 points a day searching on my phone. Go to bingrewards.com/mobile on your phone or tablet.

I'm a Swagbuckker - once you're at gold status, you can redeem 475 Bing points for 500 swagbucks. This is worth about $5.50 in Amazon gift card money. Tomorrow I'll have enough for my 3rd 500 SBs award, and my 4th $5 level award.

*Hint -- Save the swagbucks code for one of those days when the daily goal is higher than usual and you won't have time to reach it. (i.e. whenever they have a "double stuffed" day.) The swagbucks from the code counts towards the daily goal. Win win.

**When you first start, be sure to get all the tour points. That alone will almost give you enough points for your first "purchase."

My link:  http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_0bfe98a0-c39f-e2d6-ac4f-4209a89ec61c

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
Isn't that like $4/hour?

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
I've been crushing this and getting close to a month of free Hulu Plus - helping out my cord cutting! If I can do one Hulu month/month, that's getting close to $100 in rewards. Sweet!

BTW I clicked someone's referral link, and I think it was when I got 50 points, I wound up with a bonus of 200 for using someone's link, which was pretty dope. That put me more than halfway to my Hulu month.

ALSO - watch out for the diningdollars promotion! If you take this, you get access to buy coupons - not gift cards with your dining dollars. I did some Binging and didn't have to learn that the hard way. As I read, a $100 gift card costs you $10 diningdollars and $90 REAL US DOLLARS. Not worthwhile IMHO.

If anyone wants it, here is my referral link: http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_013397a0-4d25-e766-d49c-72aae175987d

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »
So far, I have gotten 2 $5 gift cards for Amazon--for just about 45 seconds of clicking every day.  I just type in easy things like "cats", "dogs", "Utah", one right after another, until my points stop increasing.  Then I do it the next day, too.

I'm at Gold Status, and am enjoying it.  I started on 1/19, so I have "earned" $10 in just over a month.  Not bad.

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
hi all, I used someone's referral link. I'm posting mine up in case someone else comes to this thread and and signs up!

THANKS!

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_2f728ba4-3e12-7d64-d866-3cf2ff28fa53

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
I was wondering if the Hulu Plus free month would work on older subscriptions, so I tried it. It does. Click the link in the email Bing sends and paste in the code. Don't try to do it from your account page. You'll see (as I did) that a month will be tacked on to the date of your next bill.

I've been doing this for not very long and through a couple of referrals (thanks!) and switching my Chrome search bar from Google to Bing I'm crushing it.

I won't paste in my referral link again as its only 2 above.. but I recommend this to anyone paying for Hulu Plus (cable cutters unite!) and BOTH parties benefit when you use a referral link.

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
Guizmo I used your referral link. I figured its worth a try.

Heres mine for yogagirl

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_2fa091aa-7dd3-2c1b-2ace-7d9cf3610c6f

thanks

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »
Bing has upped the ante, it's now 500 points per referral.

Don't listen to the guy above, he's a crook. If you love your country, you'll use mine.

Do the right thing.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
I don't generally go for these types of things but I actually use bing quite a lot since google got all plussy.

I used Paul's referral code, here's mine: http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_5ba9a0a8-d2dc-fdf3-0fe3-600abe5e5c27

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »
thankyou number cruncher.