Author Topic: Reverse Classrooms  (Read 3408 times)

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reverse Classrooms
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
You know what all this discussion made me think about? Reverse classrooms! It seems like it would really fix a lot of the issues all these parents are complaining about with traditional public schools.

For those unfamiliar reverse classrooms (at least in one definition) is where kids get the lectures at home (on video), and do the work in class (it's not really homework anymore because you're not at home...).

1. Kids wouldn't be bored in class, if they finished their work early there could be other opportunities/bonus work to help increase understanding.
2. If a subject is easy for the child to understand they could breeze through the lecture videos, if there is a sticking point perhaps they could watch it again, or look for more guidance elsewhere. Basically every child gets to learn at their own pace.
3. Children could help each other out in the classroom with their work. Best way to solidify learning = teach it to someone else.
4. Teachers could focus their attention on students who were having difficulties. I don't know any statistics out there but I would be surprised if one-on-one learning wasn't significantly more effective than classroom style lectures.

Maybe it doesn't work with every subject, but some it could really benefit.

I mean lots of colleges basically already do this. Have large lectures, and then breakout sessions to work on the work.

It's strange to me that this idea isn't more popular.  Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they do it anywhere?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Reverse Classrooms
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
The term I have been hearing a lot is "flipped classroom."

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
ha i was about to say the NinetyFour. My wife teaches middle school and she uses some flipped classroom. She isnt exclusive using it but its becoming more and more.  Its proved to be pretty effective for her classroom.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
My son did EPGY for gifted kids through stanford for a while.

Thanks for pointing this out, and go Cardinal! :)

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:50:24 AM »
that sounds awesome.  especially the part about no more homework, that would save me an hour battle every night.  do they still have regular school hours?  and then the "homework" is to watch the lecture for the next day?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
I have heard about some models in which the student might watch a video, and also answer questions about the video.  The video might be separated into 3 - 4 minute chunks.  So the student watches a segment, then takes a quiz short.  Rinse and repeat.

In some cases, it's possible then for the instructor to see the quiz responses and determine what material students "got" and what material they didn't understand at all.  This way, the instructor can tailor the next day's class around the material that the students had difficulty with.

I like the idea and am interested in incorporating it in my classes some day.