Author Topic: Ready for Early Retirement at an Early Age  (Read 5170 times)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
Ready for Early Retirement at an Early Age
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »
At the ripe old age of 5 I decided that my time was better spent playing outside than going to school. Instead of getting on the bus I hid in our wood shed and then headed out to the woods behind our house. As a kindergartener I was unaware that the school would call my mom and enquire as to my whereabouts. Luckily for me the my mom was more relieved that I was safe than mad that I cut school.

Did anyone else out there show early signs of not wanting to follow the path society has laid out?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ready for Early Retirement at an Early Age
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »
Yes, I remember knowing in my heart from an early age that I didn't want to have children. 

I also knew intuitively that I could be a renter and still do well financially.  I did own homes in my married life and on my own until about a year ago and now I am back to what I knew instinctively. 

I think this will be an interesting thread and I look forward to other people's experiences.  Just finished my coffee and I better get to work!  :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »
At age 6 I knew I wanted to have human construction in harmony with the natural surroundings... My sister and I tried to convince our parents to build their house around a peppermint tree that was where the house was going to go. Now I do that in my job with large construction projects!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
At the ripe old age of 5 I decided that my time was better spent playing outside than going to school. Instead of getting on the bus I hid in our wood shed and then headed out to the woods behind our house. As a kindergartener I was unaware that the school would call my mom and enquire as to my whereabouts. Luckily for me the my mom was more relieved that I was safe than mad that I cut school.

Did anyone else out there show early signs of not wanting to follow the path society has laid out?

Yes. When the 5 yos were told they could not use scissors, I was indignant and insulted. I refused to make an animal out of shapes *torn* from construction paper. I still find it outrageous that I was expected to sacrifice quality because they thought we could not use scissors, which would have made a fine neat cut. LOL

PS: I'd been using scissors since I was two to break out of my crib (which my parents covered with a net to keep me inside.) Escaping has been part of my MO since an early age. ;-) How did I get the scissors into my crib? I have no idea.

Also, I always look for solutions.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
After one year in kindergarten I told my parents I didn't want to do the second year because it was too easy and I was bored. I got my way. :D

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
When I was in elementary school, I would walk towards the bus stop so my mom would think I was going to school and then go to the back yard. She usually figured it out cause there was no hiding spots back there and took me to school anyway.

I have said since then i wanted to marry at 30 and retire at 40 after marrying some rich chick…. ;)

Well, I did marry at 30 -- just happened that way..  And the girl I married, well, her parents are pretty frugal and her dad got a very nice retirement package.  Of course, my family did well for themselves, too.  But I am still bound and determined to do it on my own -- though retiring at 40 is highly unlikely at this point.

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
I never wanted to go to school as a kid or even college for that matter.  I always knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur.  When I first left high school, I worked as a horse trainer.  Eventually, my parents convinced me that I wouldn't make any money doing that so I went to college.  Now, I realize that I could have lived on that income without my student debt and I would be really happy.  So now, I am starting my own food/farming business. 

My son is one and I will definitely encourage him to take a different path in life and think outside of the corporate/consumerist box.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »
I was bored at home when I was 4 so my mom sent me to kindergarten.  Once in school, I used to dream about all year school after a little bit of summer vacation.  School always rocked so that's where I worked.