Author Topic: Planting and growing your own 2023  (Read 22765 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Planting and growing your own 2023
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »
@Linea_Norway I would think your potted asparagus will do fine if you heal the pots into the ground so they have the insulation from freeze thaw. After a good hard frost to push them into dormancy, adding a thick layer of mulch to reduce the depth of frost penetration would likely be enough to carry them through the winter.

The only issue I would worry about is fertility in the potting soil. Asparagus is a very heavy feeder and potting soils often are so free draining that nutrients need to be added very frequently.

@Frugal Lizard
The place where I want to keep them is at our cabin, one of the coldest places in the south of Norway. It can get -30˚C there in winter. Not sure whether a good layer of mulch will keep them alive in that. Although it is not that cold all the time, just occasionally. Aspargus is supposed yo be really hardy though, but not sure if that counts for young plants.
Can you get a 200mm deep layer of mulch - straw / hay bales, leaves after you planted them pots and all into the soil?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2023, 08:45:08 AM »
I've read that human urine will also deter many animals from the garden.   I'm hoping that is true.
In my experience dealing with deer, there are a bunch of things that will scare them away, but they are extremely adaptable. In about 2 weeks the deer will have acclimated to whatever was scaring them and then proceed like it wasn't even there.
When I lived in a place where the deer ate hostas like they are candy, we found a product which claimed to have wolf urine in it. I don't know how one would collect wolf urine, but I do know that was the worst smelling stuff I have ever personally encountered. It did seem to deter the deer. Unfortunately, we left the garage open one day and the neighbor's dog found it and looooooooved it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2023, 12:05:02 PM »
@Linea_Norway I would think your potted asparagus will do fine if you heal the pots into the ground so they have the insulation from freeze thaw. After a good hard frost to push them into dormancy, adding a thick layer of mulch to reduce the depth of frost penetration would likely be enough to carry them through the winter.

The only issue I would worry about is fertility in the potting soil. Asparagus is a very heavy feeder and potting soils often are so free draining that nutrients need to be added very frequently.

@Frugal Lizard
The place where I want to keep them is at our cabin, one of the coldest places in the south of Norway. It can get -30˚C there in winter. Not sure whether a good layer of mulch will keep them alive in that. Although it is not that cold all the time, just occasionally. Aspargus is supposed yo be really hardy though, but not sure if that counts for young plants.
Can you get a 200mm deep layer of mulch - straw / hay bales, leaves after you planted them pots and all into the soil?

@Frugal Lizard
Yes, I have a bale of wood curls. Don't know whether they will blow away before the snow falls, but maybe I can strap them in somehow.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2023, 07:05:24 AM »

@Frugal Lizard

@Frugal Lizard
Yes, I have a bale of wood curls. Don't know whether they will blow away before the snow falls, but maybe I can strap them in somehow.
I have made a little compound for the healed in pots. Around the perimeter I arrange a bunch of black plastic pot of soil. Leaves go inside and sticks and branches on top.

One Christmas dinner my Dad went out to get the carrots and beets that were still in the garden. Next thing we see is the tractor zooming by towards the garden. We all think: "tractor is a little overkill"* Nope. He needed the tractor to lift up the big round bales of hay he had put on the veg garden to protect the root veg from freezing.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »

When I lived in a place where the deer ate hostas like they are candy, we found a product which claimed to have wolf urine in it. I don't know how one would collect wolf urine, but I do know that was the worst smelling stuff I have ever personally encountered. It did seem to deter the deer. Unfortunately, we left the garage open one day and the neighbor's dog found it and looooooooved it.

Oh this made me laugh!! There's a horse trail where we walk our dog, and he has always been VERY into horse manure. One day a live horse walked by - the first one he'd ever seen - and his mouth dropped open and his eyes were following - I've never seen such a look of amazement on him before. This! The source of that nectar of the gods! (for rolling in, anyway)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2023, 08:42:38 AM »

Oh this made me laugh!! There's a horse trail where we walk our dog, and he has always been VERY into horse manure. One day a live horse walked by - the first one he'd ever seen - and his mouth dropped open and his eyes were following - I've never seen such a look of amazement on him before. This! The source of that nectar of the gods! (for rolling in, anyway)
Haha! Having grown up with dogs and horses and I am quite familiar :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »
Seed starting is well underway.  Decent number of peppers germinated and are now in 2inch soil blocks.  Good catch of celery as well. 

Today I sowed 4 trays of 72 with onions and leeks. Tomatoes, ground cherry and tomatillos are on the agenda for this afternoon.

And if I have energy, I will make up some soil blocks for salad containers of winter sown greens and cold hardy brassica. I will put them in the greenhouse right away.  When they germinate I know I can sow in the greenhouse and move the seedlings from my indoor shelves out there.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2023, 06:46:25 PM »
I started a couple of small trays with seeds - mostly herbs and some flowers. I've set up envelopes with seed packets and when I need to sow them indoors to start.

@Frugal Lizard! Any tips on ground cherries in containers? I've done it in the past, but mostly they didn't fully ripen. Probably you grow them in the ground, though!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
@tygertygertyger - this is my first year growing them. I will put them in the garden bed.

I would think they would be fine in a deep container as long as you manage the moisture levels. The problem with pots is how fast they dry out. In my experience, any drought stress impacts fruit set.

Captain Pierogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2023, 07:07:27 AM »
Indoor seed starting happened here too this weekend.  Round one of the leafy stuff - spinach, kale, romaine, arugula, and swiss chard.  I say round one because I'm planning on another round in a couple of weeks and then direct sowing a couple of weeks after that.  And then we'll see where it goes and take note for the future.  All going under cold frame in raised beds, but if everything takes off, I may keep a few going indoors.  Depends on if there's room under the lights when I start up the next cycle of veggies and annual flowers.

It's funny because my mustachian nature is to always try to be efficient and optimize.  But gardening has taught me that sometimes mother nature has other plans.  So this year, I'm experimenting and enjoying the process more. It helps that I've got a few years under my belt and have all of the equipment in place, so start-up costs are way less than previous years.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2023, 09:46:25 AM »
After cold stratifying for 100ish days, I recently moved my pawpaw seeds over to 5-gallon buckets in my furnace room to begin germination. Optimal germination temperatures are about 75F/23C, and since I didn't want to spend the buy a bunch of heating pads, I created a shelf out of scrap lumber to lift the buckets up to the warmer part of the furnace room. With a bit of luck, in about 2-3 months tiny little trees should start emerging.
About 50 days since planting I'm finally starting to see some of the tree seeds break the surface. About 15 pawpaw seeds have sent up stems that have broken the surface, and three of those now have leaves up. This works out to only a ~2% germination rate to date, so I'm hopeful that this coming month sees a dramatic increase in activity.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2023, 10:49:34 AM »
Pawpaw germination is really interesting. It makes me wonder about the guerilla planting I did of seeds in the forest... probably none. But that's okay.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2023, 11:31:16 AM »
Pawpaw germination is really interesting. It makes me wonder about the guerilla planting I did of seeds in the forest... probably none. But that's okay.
It is pretty neat how much growth they do before they bother to start making leaves. I guess that's one advantage of having monster sized seeds, there's no hurry to start photosynthesizing. This project has made me appreciate annual seeds that take off like a rocket as soon as you put them someplace warm and moist.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 02:00:19 PM by YttriumNitrate »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2023, 01:44:33 PM »
I sowed 6 different cherry tomatoes. Most of them have germinated now.

I sowed a second batch of lettuce, a different type. The first type germinated really fast in a warm and light living room. I put it upstairs where it is cold.

My fresly sown chili peppers and bell peppers have not had a great germination rate, about 50% only. Maybe because we have been away a couple of times and turned down the heat in the house for many days. At least all of the pepoers are now transplanted in yoghurt containers.

I prepared lots of milk and juice cartons to grow snow pears and palm kale in. I have both in small growing containers first and will transplant them later.

My crate with carrots in milk cartons have sprouted. The room does not have a lot of light. The temperature is quite low as we don't warm it up at all upstairs.

My asparges are doing fine. The green ones germinated really well. The violet ones only germinated 1 out of 12. @gaja What are your experiences with the violet seeds? I have transplanted all plants to small pots and they are in a cold room in front of a west facing window.

The artischokes are growing very fast. They are all in front of a south or west facing window in a warm room, apart from when we leave for a week.

My cayenne pepper from last year has lots of flowers and I just harvested 2 red chilies. Nice to have fresh chilies again. One of the brazilian starfish peppers from last year has grown lots of leaves after I took it down from upstairs, into the warmth and sunlight.

The rosmary plants that grew outside last year were taken into 3 liter pots and stored indoors in the cold bedroom. Now they are still dormant or dead. Nothing happens with them.

I transplanted my thin leeks into deeper pots. Still many leeks per pot, but wider apart than when I sowed them.

The chives are germinating slowly. I have them in front of a window in the living room. That is typically almost 20˚C in the morning and becomes warmer when the sun shines. But from both types at least a couple of seeds came up. I noticed last year that it might take a looong time before they grow into large plants. Or maybe I did something wrong and they only survived.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:27:18 AM by Linea_Norway »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2023, 10:51:52 PM »
Time has been an issue, but for the first time in a decade I won't be coaching baseball this Spring and Summer.  Immediately my eyes turn to the garden.

The kids have outgrown the 'yard', so my first major project will be planting about 8 blueberries and 8 huckleberry bushes across the front of the yard, with creeping strawberries all around them on the ground.  That will be an extension of the 2 blueberries that currently grow out of our strawberry patch right now (and it works very well, at least so far).

Over the next 5 years I intend to slowly convert the entire back yard into perennial food production.  The fence keeps out the deer, and we just need to get it all harvested before Mr. Bear comes around in October.

Front yard garden will be mostly kale, green beans and some room for things like radishes and garlic (in large quantities).  Up on the deck will be the tomato plants, the cucumbers, all the herbs and I'm hoping a bunch of flowers (not necessary but very nice). 

I also intend to convert most of the grass at the front of the yard into wildflowers.  I hate mowing, like pollinators, grass is pointless, and maybe people will stop parking their cars on it if its a flowerbed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2023, 12:35:52 AM »
Time has been an issue, but for the first time in a decade I won't be coaching baseball this Spring and Summer.  Immediately my eyes turn to the garden.

The kids have outgrown the 'yard', so my first major project will be planting about 8 blueberries and 8 huckleberry bushes across the front of the yard, with creeping strawberries all around them on the ground.  That will be an extension of the 2 blueberries that currently grow out of our strawberry patch right now (and it works very well, at least so far).

Over the next 5 years I intend to slowly convert the entire back yard into perennial food production.  The fence keeps out the deer, and we just need to get it all harvested before Mr. Bear comes around in October.

Front yard garden will be mostly kale, green beans and some room for things like radishes and garlic (in large quantities).  Up on the deck will be the tomato plants, the cucumbers, all the herbs and I'm hoping a bunch of flowers (not necessary but very nice). 

I also intend to convert most of the grass at the front of the yard into wildflowers.  I hate mowing, like pollinators, grass is pointless, and maybe people will stop parking their cars on it if its a flowerbed.

@rocketpj
Where I live, they have killed almost all big predator animals (unfortunately). Maybe therefore it always cause me to jawdrop when I hear you get a bear in your garden.

I maybe indeed hope that cars won't park on your flowers. Otherwise you could perhaps fence in that area?

Have you heard about crop rotation and companion planting? You might be interested in that for the coming years, so that you could vary the location of your kale.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:17:02 PM by Linea_Norway »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2023, 11:51:20 AM »
We had another big round of snow, so it feels like spring is still a long way off.

But I have a lot of jugs of brassicas out for winter sowing. We’ve finally pulled out the seeds to start indoors- this year we got one of those little plastic greenhouses so that the cat won’t eat all the baby plants.

We have two blueberry bushes on order, two columnar apples, and a pear tree. We pick up the new chicks at the end of the month, and the bees arrive in April.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2023, 12:30:07 PM »
Tomato seedlings are nearly all sprouted! Flowers and herbs are in process...

I think soon I will pull the big containers of blueberries and strawberries out of the garage, and into the hutch where they'll live throughout the growing season...

Also, I'm keeping a watch on the mushroom logs we made last summer. No mushrooms yet, but this spring should be good for at least the shiitakes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »
My tomatoes have not all sprouted. I only sowed microbush tomatoes, as these are cute and little hassle and don't take op much space. The yellow one did not sprout. And my favorite from last year only sprouted a tiny, weak plant. I pulled out the weakling and sowed both again. I have transplanted all the biggest sprouts to their own pots.

Today I sowed chard, turnip and radish all indoors in milk cartons. I put them in the technical room downstairs, as that is pretty warm and there comes in quite a bit of daylight now.
I added some more seeds to my carrot in milk cartons. The cartons with old seeds didn't sprout much.
I also sowed dill, to grow together with the lettuce.

A second plant of my brazilian starfish peppers has started to sprout new leaves. So I am keeping the two of them.

In general my plants are looking pretty decent. Maybe apart from the lettuce with has bowed really deep towards the east facing window. I moved it to another cold room with a west facing window. I don't have any cold room with a south facing window.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2023, 07:41:17 AM »
Another good weekend of indoor gardening. (We got so much snow in the last two weeks!)

Peppers have 4 true leaves. Replanted Cal. Wonders have germinated/just starting. This week they will have to jump up to a full cube soil block.
I am still waiting for ground cherries / tomatilloes and planting number two of the rosemary seed to germinate.
Onion germination is fantastic.
Leeks are looking good.
Tomato micro cubes all got potted up.
Started eggplants, cosmos and nigella in micro cubes.
Ginger is started to wake up.
The orange sweet potato is really really slow. I have enough slips of the purple and light yellow fleshed ones. But I have not kept track of which is which. Hopefully I can figure it and label label label!
I have run out of grow light space.  No more starts until I can get the flats of onions out into the greenhouse.
We are still at least 9 weeks until last frost date.

This week I want to germinate another seed packet of eggplants. The folks that manage the garden mentioned a real need for them.
I didn't have any walla walla onion seed. I do now, and I think I am going to just sow 16 seeds in a single 4 cell pack, three weeks apart so that I don't have a glut of sweet onions that don't store really well. I will set up 4 containers so all I have to do is pop the seeds in and water. I should do this with scallions as well.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2023, 09:07:16 AM »
Eggplant seeds sown.
And I couldn't resist: I bought a couple more varieties of cherry tomatoes, Dancing with smurfs (an indigo rose type) and Flamme jaune (described as the tastiest orange apricot-sized fruit)

In yesterday's sun, the greenhouse vents were completely open. Which means it got really hot in there. I wish I had an temperature log so that I knew it was safe to put 4 flats of onions and leeks out there. The snow is piled deep on our driveway where I typically set up my cold frame. I guess I could put them out in the morning and bring them in at night if space under lights becomes critical. 

I have three and a half flats of tomatoes looking really good. They are all starting to push out true leaves.

The first sprout of ginger is showing. It grew well enough last year but I didn't start it soon enough at all. Then it died because I left it too long outside. I am going to try again in a wide shallow pot and hopefully with the longer season, it is more successful this year.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2023, 12:36:20 PM »
So we're only a month into 2023 and once again it looks like I've already started my annual tradition of biting off way more than I can chew when it comes to growing stuff. I finally got all my tree seeds planted in buckets and it worked out to over 1,000 pawpaw seeds planted and 400 persimmons. Unless the germination turns out to be quite low, I'm going to be digging a lot of holes in 2023.
It was a bit warm this morning so I got to spend some time playing out at my new property. The first 50 pawpaw seedlings have been planted (all in a single row with marking tape). Last year I got an drill auger with a 12 inch extension and it has made planting small trees so much easier.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »
I planted about 150 garlic cloves that last fall and only about 50 have sprung up yet :(

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
We had a lot of new snow in the last week, although the temperature was mostly above 0˚C, so the snow smelts, slowly.

I repotted the biggest alpine strawberries today. I put 4-5 in each pot. I was so dumb to saw the whole pack and it looks like they all sprouted. I put the new pots in the warm living room and in the warm cellar (with the water heater), and some upstairs in a cold room with little light. We will see which omes will do best.

My peppers are doing well. The first sown are getting biggish with lots of new leaves. The later sown are smaller, but also growing.

I sowed Tagetes flowers to be planted along with vegetables. And because I like flowers to, as well for the bees.

I am not lucky with my peas at all. So I soaked som peas, put them in a plastic bag with wet kitchen paper. They all sprouted, in the kitchen. I put them all in the box where I had sown peas earlier. I hope those sprouted peas will finally give me some plants. Of the earlier batch, none sprouted. I am probably doing something wrong. Last year I winter sowed peas in milk cartons in a plastic crate outside. Then I also had a lowish sprouting percentage. There I want to try indoors cultivating this year. Also to have bigger plants to plant out. So that they won't get eated immediately.

All the vegetables that I sowed in milk cartons recently have sprouted. I moved them to the cold bedroom, where it is getting pretty crowded now. The carrots are growing slowly.

My tomatoes are looking fine and are growing new, real leaves. And I got a couple of bonus yellow tomatoes. The other day I listened to a tomato growing podcast where the expert said that many red micro cherry tomatoes are very similar. I am growing 4 different types this year. Maybe there is no point in doing that. I hope the yellow and the dark one will be a bit interesting.

I repotted the biggest artichokes to 8 liter flower pots. The day after they already looked recovered. At the grocery store I asked for more of those free flower pots and I got a whole bunch of them.

My garlics have not sprouted yet, and I am glad for that. But I am affraid that the ones in pots outside will not sprout, as well as the seeds I sowed in pots last fall. But I also sowed garlic in a large crate and there is mot a visible layer of ice in it. So maybe those garlics will sprout.

I visited my library that has a seed library. I found they had little choice. Like, they had "squash", but not different types of squash, and no "pumpkins". Also "Bell pepper", but no chilies. And also no types specified. It is probably grate for someone who want to try something for the first time. But not so interesting for someone who likes to order many different types. I find that one of the fun things with growing, all those varieties.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2023, 07:31:00 AM »
Temperatures here dropped to freezing again. My summer veg seedlings seem to be handling the temperature fluctuations in the greenhouse ok. I'm eager to get everything in the ground, but despite the freakish warm winter it looks like it's still too early.

I made the mistake of not labeling everything. I have 2 mystery rows of bare tray cells. Time to go back through my seeds and try to figure out what didn't germinate.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2023, 04:06:01 PM »
Last May I planted 8 pigeon pea seeds. Six of them grew to full sized plants - about 3 meters tall! I didn't know if pruning them was a good idea so I just let them do what they wanted.

I picked the first harvest in January and pruned the plants back pretty hard. Now they are producing a second harvest. I just spent an hour shelling peas.

I plan to plant another 6-8 seeds in a different spot and will prune aggressively on the new plants. Overall I am so pleased how they are turning out and how much they produce.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2023, 02:38:27 AM »
I am almost done reusing the soil in my pits from last year. I have been mixing it with vermaculite and sometimes sand and chalk if the plants need that. But today I will need to buy new bags of soil. My favorite type that is quite cheap and worked well last year, is not available in shops close by. So I am in doubt whether to buy a new type of soil. Always risky. Here in Norway we are risking pyralids in soil, which are disastrous for your tomatoes and peas. These pyralids have been used in organic fertilizer. I found an organic fertilizer that is based on algea, so I thought these were just natural. It didn't cause harm last year.

I will soon need to repot lots of plants. I have now 6 peas that have sprouted and are growing fast. I will need to put those in milk cartons and hope these won't grow out of that before I can plant them out in June.
Upstairs I have still small lettuce plants that I want to grow in cloth containers together with some dill.
These is also still a pot of tightly sown Valerianella locusta that we either can eat soon as microgreens, or that need potting over.

The turnips, radishes and swiss chard that was sown in milk packs upstairs is growing fast. I have already reduced all the plants that were growing too close together, as I think the turnips and chard want to grow alone in a milk carton. It is weird to grow these things inside the house, but I just want to grow something we can eat soon! And it takes so long before we can plant stuff outside. At home after half May. At the cabin in June.

My chili plants that are in a south facing window are growing quite high. I have topped two of them by cutting off the highest shoots.

I repotted all the strawberries, and discarded the last bunch of tiny ones. I now have 20 pots or so with a couple of strawberries in each.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2023, 02:14:55 PM »
Spring is finally here! The snow seems to be staying up in the mountains where it belongs, and my tulips, crocuses and daffodils are sprouting (all at once, it appears). The snowdrops are blooming, but not in the areas I want them. I'll have to look into moving them after they are done flowering. The garlic and shallots sprouted several times this winter, so I'm not sure how many will survive. Several are still green, so I'm hopeful.

It looks like the berry bushes have survived, and I'm very curious to see how many of the nut trees are ok. A couple of weeks ago I attended a class in grafting apple trees, and got to bring 8 of those home. They are in the basement, and it will be a while before we know how many of those have taken.

Tomatoes, dahlias, walla walla onions, peppers, and artichokes have sprouted, and some of them are closing in on needing potting up. The angelica, pawpaw, heartnuts, and chestnuts need a little more time stratifying in the fridge, but I've just taken out the mulberries and asparagus to see if they are ready to sprout. We've got new windows, and rather than getting curtains I've sown a few cucumber and mini melon seeds to indoor growing.

This weekend I' planning to sow the brassicas, plus a few more tomatoes (sungold and red and yellow currants), some more flowers (zinnia, monarch-of-the-veld, passion flowers), and some weird stuff (yellow nutsedge, sea kale, and sichuan peppers.

I need to finalize the plans for the vegetable garden. I was planning to do market garden style inground beds (75 cm wide) but see from the garlic bed that it won't work. We need stricter structures for where to weed, where to cover, and where DH can throw rocks and garbage without killing my plants. I only need some boards, I think, but I'm not certain about how wide we should make them. I did like my pallet sized beds in the city garden, they were 120 cm wide. But these will be much longer. Also, everything is in a hill, and we have to make sure that the rain can run downhill freely and not make any puddles, while on the same time not wash away the soil.

@Linea_Norway I've stratified my asparagus seeds, so I don't know about germination yet. Just moved them from the fridge to the window sill, will let you know how they do :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2023, 02:01:06 AM »
@gaja
The beds should not be wider than you can reach over from each side. Normally that is 120 cm for a bed you can reach for both sides, or 60 cm from one side. I made my raised bed a little wider (70 cm) and especially in the corner of the L-shape, that is challenging.

I think that if you make raised beds onto the slope, the water will drain into the ground under the bed. That is the whole point of raised beds.
You can also check out the option for making a swale. There is a youtube film about it. One idea is to plant water loving plants on the rims of the swale.

At out cabin last year, I stepped onto one of DH's grapes and ruined it. The tiny trees were planted right beside a bunch of wooden beams that we needed to retrieve last year. As DH had not made any kind of rim, I had no idea there the planting area started. This year, I plan to plant all my strawberries in between the currant bushes that are somewhere else. I also also going to make a fence around it from some branches that we have a whole pile of.

Since last year, I missed a growing bowl that is low, but not too low, and wide. Yesterday I walked to the shopping center found this thing:
https://www.europris.no/p-plantekasse-55x37x18-cm-selvvannende-202653

It was a bit larger than I had in mind, but exactly what I was looking for. I want to use it for indoor growing of lettuce and such and of course move outside later. Just as an alternativ for a whole bunch of higher pots.

This year, I have consequently been mixing all my old soil with vermaculite, but now I used the newly bought soil and put in the seedlings without thinking about the vermaculite. The seedlings looked good already on the same night. I added some basil and chive seedlings for companion planting.

We still have a lot of snow in the garden. Just the outer edges are getting snow free.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2023, 01:44:35 PM »
Yes, 120 cm might be too wide. I think maybe 80 cm could be better. 70 is most used, but I feel that is too narrow for brassicas.

Swales are dangerous in areas like ours, with steep hills and a lot of rain. Everytime we do anything on the property, we have to think about how the water will move. We were doing some work on our access road, and I asked for the extra soil to be shaped into a flattish area for a vegetable garden. The local landscaper made sure to give it a little slope, and to place large rocks in a pattern to direct the water away from the house. Still we are seeing troubles with water collecting in a new area downhill from my vegetable plot, turning into a small swamp, and draining towards a cabin. Anything that hinders the free flow of water is dangerous here, and dug in the wrong place a swale in this terrain can cause landslides.

The good thing about living here, is abundant (and normally cheap) hydropower, and we rarely have to think about watering the garden. Also, it is great exercise for the gluteus maximus.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2023, 06:30:28 PM »
The raised beds I designed for our community garden are 1.2m x 3.6m. We have been using them for 11 years.  We plant 3 rows of peppers,  2 rows of tomatoes, or 4 rows of greens or herbs. These dimensions work well for the floating row covers for frost protection.  The drip irrigation is 4 hoses.  The garden is amazingly productive.  The asparagus is planted in the ground along the fence. I am not sure if it would do well in the raised beds as we have a lot of freeze and thaw.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »

Where I live, they have killed almost all big predator animals (unfortunately). Maybe therefore it always cause me to jawdrop when I hear you get a bear in your garden.

I maybe indeed hope that cars won't park on your flowers. Otherwise you could perhaps fence in that area?

Have you heard about crop rotation and companion planting? You might be interested in that for the coming years, so that you could vary the location of your kale.

For quite a few years we had a big sow that lived in our neighbourhood, I think in the trees across the road.  She's gone, but there was a mid sized male in our yard last year.  It's fairly normal to see a bear around here, and most people aren't too worried about it.  I have some good video of the bear up on my grape trellis last fall (I had forgotten to harvest them, he didn't forget).

I am more worried about cougars, mostly because they occasionally kill a dog or cat (and once a decade a person).  I've never seen one, but I know they've seen me.

As for the garden, the seedlings on the windowsill are sprouting.  The wild huckleberries in the park behind us are likely to be fruiting soon, and I'm going to experiment with picking some berries and planting the seeds a few different ways in small pots (with the fruit, separated from the fruit, with a bit of fertilizer, without).  They are delicious and very local (i.e. 15 meters from my house) so I think they will probably thrive.

As for the front by the road, people do park there.  I don't technically own that patch of land (it belongs to the town) but when people park there it gets muddy.  I do still have to mow it when it has grass, I'd prefer to just have some wildflowers growing.  If necessary I'll put a couple pieces of driftwood there so people don't think of it as a parking lot.

Crop rotation:  Yes, certainly.  TBH my spouse handles the veggie garden, I am just labour in that project.  I'm in charge of the perennials.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2023, 01:12:37 PM »
I harvested my first two cucumbers of the year yesterday! I've been picking greens from the Swiss Chard and Amaranth for a week or so, but the first fruiting vegetable is such a milestone.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
I harvested my first two cucumbers of the year yesterday! I've been picking greens from the Swiss Chard and Amaranth for a week or so, but the first fruiting vegetable is such a milestone.
How quickly things change. I just yanked out my cucumbers because they were showing signs of bacterial wilt. I replanted those, as well as the zucchini which were chomped by a squirrel or rat.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2023, 02:08:15 PM »
Temperatures this week are consistently getting up to about 75F/24C so I've started to graft over ornamental/Bradford pear trees on my new property to ones that will produce fruit. I've decided to go high-tech with map orchard map and am recording the GPS location and a photo of each graft on my phone and then uploading the files to Google maps. Tags are also on the trees, but those have a habit of falling off and getting lost.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »
Keeping seedlings alive in seed trays long-term?

I am moving next month and I'd like to wait to plant my flower (cosmos, poppy, stock) and squash seedlings at the new place. The cosmos and squash are farthest along at about 2-3 inches tall. Is it better to try to keep them alive in seed trays for another month if I'm diligent on the watering or would it be better to plant them at the new place where they will probably get watered once a week at most (plus rain)?

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2023, 09:39:57 AM »
The main limiting factor for the seed trays after space is fertility. You can slow them down a bit with harder conditions - colder and windier. Keep them happy with fertilizer. Could you pot them up to a bigger size. If they are already busting out of the root space, there isn't much you can do. And squash really don't like to spend any length of time in a seed tray. I actually only sprout mine before going out into the garden. (two weeks before transplant) Could you get them into the garden at the new location sooner and risk frost?

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2023, 09:57:04 AM »
Temperatures this week are consistently getting up to about 75F/24C so I've started to graft over ornamental/Bradford pear trees on my new property to ones that will produce fruit. I've decided to go high-tech with map orchard map and am recording the GPS location and a photo of each graft on my phone and then uploading the files to Google maps. Tags are also on the trees, but those have a habit of falling off and getting lost.

I... did not realize this was possible, but that makes sense. We have a large Bradford pear absurdly close to our garage, and we've figured that we'll cut it down when we get a new garage roof installed. This is a tantalizing other option. (I mean, probably we'll cut it down anyway, but it's still cool.)

I have a lot of seedlings in a grow tent. They are doing... okay. The grow tent is a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. There are three grow lights in there and a fan circulates air.

There are a lot of fungal gnats swirling around in there, which I despise. I have added some sticky tabs to catch them. I need to add more but I also suspect this issue won't be resolved until the plants find new homes outside. Some of the tomatoes started out so well but now their leaves are curling. I think some of the lights are too close to the plants but I haven't figured out how to move them... I can easily lower them, but they're currently as high as they can be. Which is not high enough.

It's in the 70s outside all week which almost makes me want to start planting out, but it's at least a month too early, so I'll continue with my gnats for a few more weeks. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2023, 01:44:00 AM »
Keeping seedlings alive in seed trays long-term?

I am moving next month and I'd like to wait to plant my flower (cosmos, poppy, stock) and squash seedlings at the new place. The cosmos and squash are farthest along at about 2-3 inches tall. Is it better to try to keep them alive in seed trays for another month if I'm diligent on the watering or would it be better to plant them at the new place where they will probably get watered once a week at most (plus rain)?

@the_hobbitish
Squash grows really fast. If you need to wait for another month, you could plant them into a bucket, one plant per bucket. I had my squash plants in a bucket all summer last season, although this year I will used larger buckets.

For the other plants, just use bigger pots. Do you have access to carton or plastic milk/juice packs? I use 2 liter cartons for flowers and other stuff that needs to stand inside for a while.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 03:03:57 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2023, 03:38:17 AM »
The tomatoes are growing very well in their tiny pots in front of a east and south facing window. Corner windows are great for growing seedlings.

The alpine strawberries are also growing, at least the ones in the living room and warm water heater room. I have 3 or 4 per pits, so they shouldn't grow too fast.

The chives were not looking very good upstairs in a cold room with little light. I put them in the living room which is much warmer than they need. And they thrive. They have been growing long shoots and I am starting to understand that they could turn into whole a whole bunch when big. I cut off the upper half of the longest shoots and used them for dinner.

I coplanted some basil and a leek with the chilies that are in large pots. Maybe I should have used garlic instead of leek, as it is a stronger repellant. Both the three chillies and the companions are looking good. The chili from last year is now full of green peppers. That will be an early harvest. My other chillies and bell peppers are still in small pots and growing well.

The tiny thyme plants are growing. I have some in the kitchen with only last afternoon sun. They have sprouted lots of side branches. Maybe because I topped them. I now topped them more to use for dinner. The rest of the thyme is still in a sowing pot, but with good soil. I guess I need to get more middle sized containers, or more trays. I have many extra small pots, but no trays to put them on.

A few days aho I sowed more flowers that are edible and beneficial for other plants. I repotted the biggest tagetes flowers into milk cartons.

A while aho I coplanted peas with the artischokes. Both are now growing well.

In a plastic crate upstairs in a cold bedroom I have chard, radishes and turnips. It all sprouted, but the sprouts are long and thin. No surprise. The rasishes are doing best and are getting thicker stems.

The one pot of leeks that I put in the kitchen is gowing thicker stems.

The asparges in the cold bedroom, closest to the west facing window, are growing long. I need to check how their roots are doing and probably also put them in larges pots. Then I need an extra tray for that again.

The garlic outside is sprouting! Even under the layer of leaves that I put on the crate. These are leaves from a birch tree and they are not shredded, as I don't have a shredder or grass mower. But now I loosened the leaves a bit to make it easier for the, I still leave them on, though.

The lettuce that is also upstairs, it growing, but not that fast with limited light.

I have put my own setting potatoes from last year downstairs in a dark room, medium cold. And made them a bit wet. I need to take a look soon to see if they are developing long white shoots. They had already started to grow thick white shoots while they were in the fridge. Turned out that that particular fridge was about 6˚C, much warmer than the 2-3˚C it should have had to prevent them from sprouting.

I am starting to notice the lack of space. I think all those containers with strawberries and taking up a lot of pots and a lot of space. I have 7 pots with strawberries in the living room, 8 upstairs and another 8 or so downstairs, each with multiple plants in them. Still one full month left before I can put plants outside, and then still another 2-3 weeks before planting at some of the plants at our cabin. Especially many of the strawberries, garlic and thyme.

I am very curious which of my plants in pots have survived the winter outside at some. The winter has had a lot of alternating rain and freezing and only later some more permanent snow. But at least the garlics in the biggest crate are sprouting. At the cabin it has been much colder and even there, the winter started with frozen rain before there came snow. I hope the thyme, the mint and the currants have survived. And I hope that what I sowed there in autumn will sprout by itself in June and won't get eaten immediately.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
So I now understand why people dislike Bradford pears. These things spread like weeds. I grafted over almost 50 of them, and have only put a relatively small dent in the number on my property. In other news, Google Earth turns out to be a pretty good way of keeping tracking of tree locations.
https://earth.google.com/web/@41.55428893,-87.17908056,199.90110432a,260.95893213d,35y,-0h,0t,0r/data=MigKJgokCiAxQzBFMWlxSVBXdGJJVGJkM1NBUk9reXp1TExfMUctNCAC

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2023, 02:56:47 PM »
I have been carrying most of my plants outside and inside again for three sunny days, with a two day pause when I wasn't home. One hour longer each day. The pots with artischoke and peas don't seem to enjoy it that much amd are hanging a bit. But the chilies are still making lots of fresh leaves. The tomatoes are also growing rapidly, as well as the strawberries that stand in front of a window.

The chives are slowly growing more leaves from the same plant. Still small, but looking good. They like standing innfrontbof a good window in a warm room.

The aspargus do fine upstairs. Two of them have developed their first aspargus shoot, which has grown quite long. The green leaves also have become long. And the plants are still in their tiny pots. Some of these pots are see through plastic and I can see they haven't filled the pot yet. So I don't need to change them to a bigger pot just yet. I just also need to use time to adapt all the plants upstairs and downstairs to outside.

Today I sowed more chili seeds. A lady gifted me some Hatch chili seeds fra New Maxico that she had climatized to Norwegian outdoir climate for 8 years, always taking seeds from the best and most producing plant. It is supposed to be a chili with a lot of flavor, not very sharp.

I planted 3 chilies/bell peppers in bigger pots. Still 4 to go after they have grown some more.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2023, 11:08:44 AM »
I was too slow on buying plants this year and most places are sold out. But on the plus side my hops are doing great. One of the varieties is already longer now than it was last year in like July. They're very active, I'm hoping we'll have a good harvest.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2023, 01:45:10 AM »
@ E.T. hops is a great idea! I shall try that for covering an ugly high fence. I love this plant for dinner table decorations in summer.

My windowsills are very crowded as it is still to cold at night to get my plants (especially tomato and zucchini) planted.

I have grown black cherry and oxheart tomatoes ( no idea whether Google translate was correct on this one) and will exchange some with someone for red and green zebra tomatoes which I hadn't tried before.
My ground cherries are doing well and I have planted two of them in a protected raised bed and they have survived so far.
My different kinds of salads are doing much better in this bed than another free standing raised bed while the chard I planted out is doing much better in the free standing one.
My strawberries are doing great. We replanted them in a small raised bed for and with my two year old grandson.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2023, 03:04:30 AM »
This was in March, my DH helping our grandson fill the bed with soil. So much fun and the box my husband was able to bring home from work for free. Something was sent in it and it would have been disposed of.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2023, 03:13:32 AM »
Coming Sunday, I consider visiting a local event for swapping clothes, plants and seeds. No idea why they combine clothes and plants, but never mind.

I have way too many alpine strawberries grown from seed, as I sowed a lot (in pots) and they all sprouted and thrive. So I could try to swap a couple of these for seeds or so.

I also have some seeds that I bought the wring type of, as sometimes when I quickly order pack of seed, I just add a couple of other packs from memory, without paying proper atttention to my wishlist. So now I have several pole beans (yellow and Berlotto), while I wanted bush beans. Maybe I can swap these seedpacks as well.

My microbush tomatoes are almost outgrowing there 0.5 liter yoghurt containers. We still have 3 weeks to go before most plants can move permanently outside. I want to use 8 liter flower buckets for those tomatoes (I can get those for free at the grocery store). But those need a tray inside the house, and I don't have many og those.
I swapped the strawberries that were in the living room, growing big fast with the ones upstairs that were growing slowly. Mostly to slow down the fat growing ones. They can be planted out in the beginning of June, so they need to last for another 5 weeks and I don't have so many pots, as especially no trays to put them on.

All the chilies are now in those 8 liter flower buckets. Still I have 4 bell peppers to go, which were sown later and are still smaller. My oldest chili (cayenne) now has it's first red pepper. The Braz starfishes are just growing fast with very big leaves. They are a different species, C. Baccatum, while the rest is C. annum.

I sowed squash/zuccini and one pumpkin. I sowed two seeds of each and will keep one. I read everywhere that squash plants are so productive. But my squash plant last year, and 3 years ago was not that productive. I think that may be the result of the plant not being a productive hybrid, standing in only 10 liter buckets and not getting enough water. And not giving the plants enough compost material. This year, I want to collect a good pile of horse manure + straw, that is dumped reasonably close to our house, and use that for the squash buckets. I also bought two much bigger, food grade buckets, so now I have 3 pots that are around 20 liters.

I am not sure my artischokes will turn into something at all. They all seem to have stagnated, buth the ones in the 8 liter pots, as wll as the ones still in small pots. I filled the pots with a mixture of soil and sand and try to not water them too much. The artischokes are just a bonus if the work out at all.

I put the carrots, turnips, radishes and chard outside. They were all started in milk packs in a plastic crate indoors. But standing in the cool room upstairs with little sunlight, they are all thin and leggy. I put the crate under a roof. But two days ago we got a new pack of snow and despite the roof, the plants are all covered. Next day when it melted, I "rescued" them by taking the milk packs out of the plastic crate. I also removed the pack of snow from the top of the milk pack. In some cases, the leggy plant followed along. So yesterday, I decided to sow the whole bunch again in the same pack, now leaving them outside. Apart from the radishes that survived the treatment. These are also all bonus plants.

Upstairs I have a lots of green chicory (Grumola verde) and Valerianella locusta, that are now growing many leaves. They look completely similar for the moment, although they beling to different plant genuses. I have been harvesting the first couple of leaves from them. All those plants are pretty close to the window.

Also growing well are the asparges. Several are now growing a first aspargus stem. And all of them have a long stem with leaves. I think I will need to repot those once again, as they also have 5 weeks to go before planting out. They are still in tiny pots, standing closest to the window.

I moved the large crate with lettuce upstairs to a more prime location on a desk, where I hope it will get more light. Still standing furthest from the window. They grew a couple of leaves, but sort of stagnated after that. I hope they will restart soon. They were just supposed to be a easy to pick early harvest, just like the radishes and turnips. But if there is no sufficient light, that just doesn't work at all.

I repotted some of the basil to bigger pots and 5 or so plants per pot. I few of them are coplanted with chilly, and I want to coplant another bunch with each tomato.

My kale plants are growing slowly. Maybe they would actually do better in a cold room. But I soon hope to move them outside anyway.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2023, 03:20:20 AM »
@E.T.
You can still sow plants, including flowers.

@Anette and @E.T.
Hops can grow up to 15 cm / 6 inch a day.
You could also consider sowing Hablitzia tamnoides at the fence. That is an edible plant, growing very early and fast. I have sown it at our cabin. I am exited to see what will have sprouted there.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2023, 12:26:16 PM »
@E.T.

@Anette and @E.T.
You could also consider sowing Hablitzia tamnoides at the fence. That is an edible plant, growing very early and fast. I have sown it at our cabin. I am exited to see what will have sprouted there.
I'm looking for specific plants, so I'll have to wait until they're available again. Things like a particular variety of Muscadine grapes and other specialty native edible plants.

I love hops, they're so pretty and smell great. We homebrew so I will get good use out of them. They taste pretty green at first but if you let the beer age, the fresh hops add some really nice aroma and flavor vs the commercial pellets.

@Annette If you grow hops you may want to consider keeping them in a container. They grow through rhizomes underground and can be pretty aggressive. I've got mine in half whisky barrels, trained up my deck railings.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 12:29:56 PM by E.T. »

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »
@E.T.

@Anette and @E.T.
I'm looking for specific plants, so I'll have to wait until they're available again. Things like a particular variety of Muscadine grapes and other specialty native edible plants.

I love hops, they're so pretty and smell great. We homebrew so I will get good use out of them. They taste pretty green at first but if you let the beer age, the fresh hops add some really nice aroma and flavor vs the commercial pellets.

@Annette If you grow hops you may want to consider keeping them in a container. They grow through rhizomes underground and can be pretty aggressive. I've got mine in half whisky barrels, trained up my deck railings.

My partner has them growing up the side of his parents house. They easily grow 2 1/2 stories tall... and wouldn't mind growing even taller! He has them start on circular trellis to take up some height. He home-brews too, it's a fun hobby.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2023, 12:40:35 AM »
We are home brewers too. A typical Mustachian hobby maybe? At least where I live it is a sensible thing to do.