Author Topic: Planting and Growing Your Own -- 2021  (Read 49547 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Planting and Growing Your Own -- 2021
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2021, 06:31:30 AM »
I haven't been out to our garden in about a week.  My husband has been doing all of the salad picking and weeding and everything. 

I went out last night and remembered that I never thinned our beets and they are SO BIG.  They're all piled on top of each other.  The one our 5 year old picked for shredding in our salad (that of course he didn't eat) was 4 or 5" across, and it isn't even the biggest one out there.  It's still too hot to roast them, we're going to be overrun, haha. 

Also I did a terrible job of labeling the varieties of anything we planted, and I can't remember which beans are green beans and which are pinto.  This seems important to know before eating.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »
@chaskavitch Beets are quite good on the barbeque. I often make a mix of root veg in a foil pan, with some oil and spices, and put it on the grill at the very beginning. That way it is ready when everything else is.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2021, 02:39:30 PM »
I might have found the trick for getting loads of tomatoes: plant them in your garden, and then just leave them alone for a month while you are on holidays. We've had some kind neighbours here watering infrequently, but otherwise nothing has been done. Hope they'll last the whole way to maturity, there should be enough summer left if the weather doesn't turn too cold and wet.

Also, some peppers, a few tomatillos, and an aubergine (miniature variety).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
Just harvested green beans from my garden. The rabbit returned and ate the back row of plants but the plants in the front were fine and I still got a lot from them. I also harvested blackberries from my plants in another part of the garden. Those should be good for making some muffins.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
Baby cantaloupes!  in the greenhouse.  A couple of weeks ago I got out a small paint brush and dabbed it in some blooms, not all, and now I have some cantaloupes.  Not sure if they are on the same blooms I did the dabbing.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »
last night for supper we had carrots, beets, beans and a tomato salad with sweet onion and basil - all from my beautiful garden.  It is such a rush to sit down to such a meal!
This morning there was a handful of blackberries waiting by the clothesline.  They are tasty!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
My garden at the farm is turning into a jungle.  The squash plants are up to my waist and some of the vines are 25 feet from where I planted them.  CRAZY productive too!

I sent two boxes of zukes and summer squash, a bag of onions and six giant cucumbers to the food pantry. (probably 20 pounds in total)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »
I'm up to 18kg/40lbs of blueberries so far this summer.  Everything else I'm growing pretty much fizzled this year, but the bumper crop of blueberries makes up for it. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: August 05, 2021, 05:43:30 AM »
Beautiful crop @dougules!

Picked up some native edibles (thanks dougules): maypop, bird pepper (hot chilis), gopher apple, calamint, an endangered mint (conradina "false rosemary"), wild pennyroyal, blue porterweed (porter "beer" and mushroom tasting flowers).

Maypop will go along the property line, hope it'll duel successfully with the neighbor's exotic invasives. Go maypop!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: August 05, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
Beautiful crop @dougules!

Picked up some native edibles (thanks dougules): maypop, bird pepper (hot chilis), gopher apple, calamint, an endangered mint (conradina "false rosemary"), wild pennyroyal, blue porterweed (porter "beer" and mushroom tasting flowers).

Maypop will go along the property line, hope it'll duel successfully with the neighbor's exotic invasives. Go maypop!

I hope the maypop does well.  Is it a good time to plant them?  I honestly don't know about cultivating them because they're easy to forage here. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: August 05, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »
^ Will find out! It's the rainy season and it's grown about 2 feet already, so seems to be a good time. Apparently they usually fruit in early summer here, but it'll still be good as a butterfly host plant even if it doesn't fruit this year.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
^ Will find out! It's the rainy season and it's grown about 2 feet already, so seems to be a good time. Apparently they usually fruit in early summer here, but it'll still be good as a butterfly host plant even if it doesn't fruit this year.

They don't ripen here until the fall, although it takes a long time for them to ripen. 

I'm not big into flowers myself, but if you are, maypops will give you a bonus since their flowers are very showy. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:16 AM »
Picked my first big beautiful slicing tomato.  I will likely only get a couple more as the vines wither and die.

There is something in the soil that is really bad for tomatoes.  No amount of specialty fertilizers, ground up egg shells or staking or mulching is helping these babies survive in the garden.  I put only cherry tomatoes in the greenhouse and they are six feet tall.  My roma's are out at the farm and producing bountifully. 

Beautiful blueberries

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #413 on: August 07, 2021, 09:16:30 AM »
Good year in the garden so far.

The late July Heat ended our Kale (too many harlequin beetles, worms and whiteflies to manage) so I pulled it all, and canned 24 pints of kale and 12 pints of kale kraut. Ended up pulling all the Kohl crops, so 2 gallons of sauerkraut is also bubbling in the fermenter right now.

We are up to 10 pints of roasted tomato sauce and it is only August 7, which is close to a record for me.  Happy with the decision to plant a row of Rutgers Tomato and Atomic Grapes from Baker Seeds.

Looking ahead, the squashes, eggplants, peppers and green beans have been productive, and we will be able to put a bunch of them up for the winter and later enjoyment.

At this point, just nurturing my fall garden seedlings that I planted last week indoors-- broccoli and rapini, more kale and cabbage, parsley and dill, and a few lettuces for when things cool down.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »
Thanks dougules!  Never heard of maypop, so I’m off to research.

They're pretty common wild here in AL.  I would imagine they'd be common in NC, too.

I haven't seen anything like that around here, but now I'll be on the lookout!

Hey @dougules!  I found some maypop growing on our property.
So the fruit is edible?  Or do you just squeeze out the juice?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2021, 11:13:19 PM »
Thanks dougules!  Never heard of maypop, so I’m off to research.

They're pretty common wild here in AL.  I would imagine they'd be common in NC, too.

I haven't seen anything like that around here, but now I'll be on the lookout!

Hey @dougules!  I found some maypop growing on our property.
So the fruit is edible?  Or do you just squeeze out the juice?

Yes, they're all over the place here, and only old people really know what they are. 

The fruit is definitely edible and tastes good, but you need to wait until the husk starts to get just a little big soft and turn a more yellowish green.  If it feels really firm, it's not ripe.  Or you could eat them a little green if you like your fruit tart and crisp.  When it's fully ripe it's very mellow.

I just pop them open and eat the pulp fresh.  It can be a little bit of work for your mouth to strip the pulp off the seeds, but it's worth it.  The juice would probably be pretty good, too, but I've never tried it. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #416 on: August 15, 2021, 04:26:48 AM »

Thanks, @dougules!  The fruit on ours isn't ripe yet -- it's still green and hard.   But I can't wait to try it. 

I was also reading online that the plants can get really big.  The ones I found here are small, only about two feet tall.  But I'm going to give them something to climb on and see if they can grow bigger next year.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »

Thanks, dougules!  The fruit on ours isn't ripe yet -- it's still green and hard.   But I can't wait to try it. 

I was also reading online that the plants can get really big.  The ones I found here are small, only about two feet tall.  But I'm going to give them something to climb on and see if they can grow bigger next year.

Nice.  Those are definitely maypops.  It takes them a long time to ripen unfortunately.  I've never seen a lemon shaped one like that.  Ours are generally fairly round.  I'm sure there's some genetic variation between AL and NC.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2021, 06:32:37 AM »
I love popping in here and learning about a fruit/plant/vegetable that I know nothing about.

My city garden is starting to wind down...or so it feels.  Tomato crop is a bust in the garden while the varieties of cherry toms in the greenhouse are just not that sweet, apart from midnight snacks and black cherry.  Tomatillos don't like the greenhouse.  But melons do.  I made 4 little hammocks for them.  It is so dry again that I had to water...all the plants were drooped done by 4 pm yesterday. 

Hope the yellow beans will recover.  The row is blooming or setting right now. 

Out at the farm, things are going gangbusters.  The Three Sisters Garden is insane.  Some of the squash varieties are so prolific that I am pruning them back to twelve feet from the row.  The popcorn made it up through and has lots of tassels dripping with pollen.  I picked a large feed of orca beans off two plants for supper last night as well as two hills of volunteer potatoes.  Lunch yesterday was a salad of greens, tomatoes,beets and sweet onion. 

I donated over 20 pounds of summer squash this week as well.
There are some really odd types of squash.  I planted some from the seed library as well as a few that had promising descriptions of sweetness.  Even the delicata squash, which I have always thought of as small are huge.  I hope these squash that are the ugliest darn thing and are now about the same size as a jack-o-lantern pumpkin are actually tasty.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »

Thanks, dougules!  The fruit on ours isn't ripe yet -- it's still green and hard.   But I can't wait to try it. 

Nice.  Those are definitely maypops.  It takes them a long time to ripen unfortunately.  I've never seen a lemon shaped one like that.  Ours are generally fairly round.  I'm sure there's some genetic variation between AL and NC.

Looks great.
Yup, I have the same, a bit more rounded. Mine is called Frederick - purple passion fruit. Tastes like Maracuja, makes the best jam.
Wait till they fall on the ground, they will become lightweight with a mottled reddish color.
Wait until they are all purple and puckered, they are sweeter that way.
Mine is about twenty-four feet or so and growing on the fence - sharing fruits with my neighbor.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »

Looks great.
Yup, I have the same, a bit more rounded. Mine is called Frederick - purple passion fruit. Tastes like Maracuja, makes the best jam.
Wait till they fall on the ground, they will become lightweight with a mottled reddish color.
Mine is about twenty-four feet or so and growing on the fence - sharing fruits with my neighbor.

It looks like those are a variety of maracuyá, the maypop's close South American cousin.  Maypops stay green in color, although they generally take on a yellowish tone when they're ripe.  The main indication on ripeness for them is just how soft the husk is.  Color isn't always a reliable indication on some plants. 

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: August 24, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »
This is my favorite tomato this year - the sun heart! It is a nice sized meaty oxheart that matures early enough to produce good tomatoes outdoors during a Norwegian summer.

Several of the plants got a bit away from me, since I've been taking care of two gardens 500 km apart. The snow peas looked more like shelling peas, and we only found one cucumber that was small enough to eat. So the focus now is on preserving seeds for next year, and on harvesting tomatoes. It is really fascinating how many hundred seeds can come from something that just a few months ago was one seed.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »
That’s a gorgeous tomato @gaja!  It looks like it’s smiling. 

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
This is my favorite tomato this year - the sun heart! It is a nice sized meaty oxheart that matures early enough to produce good tomatoes outdoors during a Norwegian summer.

@gaja That is a gorgeous tomato! My SO's favorite garden produce is meaty tomatoes but our growing season is only 15 weeks so your post immediately sparked my interest. The Googles are failing me when I search for "Sun Heart Oxheart Tomato". Could you give me a hint on where to find seeds?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: August 25, 2021, 01:25:52 AM »

@gaja That is a gorgeous tomato! My SO's favorite garden produce is meaty tomatoes but our growing season is only 15 weeks so your post immediately sparked my interest. The Googles are failing me when I search for "Sun Heart Oxheart Tomato". Could you give me a hint on where to find seeds?

I got it here: https://solhatt.no/butikk/bifftomat-solhjerte/ But I'm not sure whether they ship out of the country. I could send you some seeds?

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #425 on: August 25, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »

I got it here: https://solhatt.no/butikk/bifftomat-solhjerte/ But I'm not sure whether they ship out of the country. I could send you some seeds?

That is such a kind offer, it does seem that they do not ship out of country. I'll PM you.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2021, 06:46:49 AM »

Looks great.

It looks like those are a variety of maracuyá, the maypop's close South American cousin.  Maypops stay green in color, although they generally take on a yellowish tone when they're ripe.  The main indication on ripeness for them is just how soft the husk is.  Color isn't always a reliable indication on some plants.

That makes sense. Maracuja is a popular fruit juice in Germany where I grew up, often used for cocktails too.
I love the flavor. They do start out looking just like yours - all green.
Another bonus is that both the fruit and the gorgeous flowers have a delightful exotic fruit scent.

youtube has some great videos about growing passion fruit - I didn't know that you can grow it from cuttings - yeah!
The Plan is to build a gazebo covered in passion fruit in fall or spring since it is evergreen here in Florida, the leaves remind me of grapevines.
I wish I had found out about passionfruit years ago, it is so easy to grow here.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »

That is such a kind offer, it does seem that they do not ship out of country. I'll PM you.
I'm not sure if the PM went through, let me know if it doesn't show up and I'll do some troubleshooting.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »

I'm not sure if the PM went through, let me know if it doesn't show up and I'll do some troubleshooting.

Yup, got the PM, and I think I've answered. But the PM system here is a bit challenging :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 13, 2021, 09:30:14 AM »
Sending out a batsignal to @YttriumNitrate
I have three tiny paw paws coming up from seed (out of 8 seeds planted).  What should I do next:

They are in four in pots.  We are in zone 5 of Canadian agriculture zones, which is similar to the US but slightly different.  Our weather is somewhat similar to Chicago with a little less snow because we are just a bit further from the lake. 

Should I planted them out to where I want them to grow.  or
Pot them up to a one or two gallon pot and heal them in to a nursery area. or
Just heal them in the four inch pots somewhere safe for this first winter.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
I had a ripe maypop yesterday off a plant that was growing in a park near the house.  It had a much more floral flavor than the others I've tasted.  It was pretty good.  I saved some of the seeds and have a few extra that I could share if anybody wants some and can't find a local vine. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Today I pruned my 1 season old chili plants and put them inside the house. But afterwards I read that they should have been pruned after the temperature dropped below 10C. It is currently 14C and staying pretty warm in the next days. We'll see how the plants will survive. They produced decently this year, in my opinion, 8 chilli peppers on both small plants.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #432 on: September 22, 2021, 06:01:54 AM »
That's great about the maypop fruit @dougules!  I checked on mine a few days ago and they are still hard and green. 

Good job with the chili peppers @Linea_Norway!   

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »
That's great about the maypop fruit @dougules!  I checked on mine a few days ago and they are still hard and green. 

The one I had had fallen off the vine.  It was still a little hard, but when I broke into it, it was ripe enough.  It partly depends on how you like fruit.  If you generally like crisp tart fruit you probably should pick them a little hard and green.  If you like soft mellow fruit, wait until the husks are soft and yellow-ish.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
@dougules this could be the start of your post-fire side income! Sell those seeds on eBay or Etsy :-)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »
@Trifele how is Bob doing? Thought about Bob the other day after harvesting a second crop of (previously unproductive) blackberries that I'd tried to remove.

The Plan is to build a gazebo covered in passion fruit in fall or spring

@Rosy this sounds amazing! You've planted the seed for a backyard potting shed/garden cottage, something like this place:

Building plans have been on hold with all the craziness, but could be a good time to revisit this winter...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
@dougules this could be the start of your post-fire side income! Sell those seeds on eBay or Etsy :-)

Locally sourced native passion fruit seeds.  Only $5 for a packet of 3.  Get yours while supplies last. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »

Locally sourced native passion fruit seeds.  Only $5 for a packet of 3.  Get yours while supplies last.

Ha! Don't forget the "organic" premium, but your pricing sounds about right: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=maypop+seeds. Now if you could do rooted cuttings, I'd buy those for sure, haven't had luck getting them to root.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »
@Trifele how is Bob doing? Thought about Bob the other day after harvesting a second crop of (previously unproductive) blackberries that I'd tried to remove.

Wow what a memory you have @Roots&Wings!  Bob flowered this spring, but alas did not set any fruit.  Then he lost all his leaves about a month ago.  I have no idea why; our other apple trees look ok.  And now he is growing some leaves back.   
:)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
^ Well Bob has quite a history in this thread over the years! And a compelling story, who doesn't love patience and persistence, adapting to change, wilting and coming back, finding a way to thrive wherever you're planted :)

It's always interesting to try new experiments like the grafting.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »

Wow what a memory you have @Roots&Wings!  Bob flowered this spring, but alas did not set any fruit.  Then he lost all his leaves about a month ago.  I have no idea why; our other apple trees look ok.  And now he is growing some leaves back.   

Are you up at a higher elevation or down near sea level?  Apples are apparently hard to grow with a lot of heat and humidity.  We have orchards here that manage to produce pretty good apples down in the valley, but the guy I used to buy from grows them on the mountain and said he couldn't do it down lower. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2021, 04:08:16 PM »

Are you up at a higher elevation or down near sea level?  Apples are apparently hard to grow with a lot of heat and humidity.  We have orchards here that manage to produce pretty good apples down in the valley, but the guy I used to buy from grows them on the mountain and said he couldn't do it down lower.

We’re in prime apple growing country here, so he has no excuse. :)

Seriously, he’s a very odd tree because we grew him from a seed up north and then dug him up and took him with us when we moved south.  He went many years without flowering and I was convinced we were just too far south (not enough cooling hours), but then this spring he surprised me and flowered for the first time at 11 years old. 

He keeps me guessing and on my toes! 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »

Ha! Don't forget the "organic" premium, but your pricing sounds about right: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=maypop+seeds. Now if you could do rooted cuttings, I'd buy those for sure, haven't had luck getting them to root.

I'm a little high, but not much. 

Have you tried rooting hormone powder?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: September 24, 2021, 06:32:46 AM »
Very curious if you give Etsy a try!

Haven't tried rooting hormone. I hate buying stuff like that, and when I researched DIY before it was like honey or something, I'll look up again and actually try it this time around.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #444 on: September 24, 2021, 11:02:25 AM »
Very curious if you give Etsy a try!

Haven't tried rooting hormone. I hate buying stuff like that, and when I researched DIY before it was like honey or something, I'll look up again and actually try it this time around.

I was just joking about actually selling the seeds, but maybe it might be good to sell some to promote our native fruit species.  I don't think I'd sell seeds until I knew how to grow them though.  I've only ever foraged them, so I have no idea about the details of how to actually cultivate them. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #445 on: September 24, 2021, 07:33:15 PM »
@Roots&Wings
Sorry I missed your pic of the vine-covered house. Somehow I doubt a metal gazebo from Aldi can compete with a romantic, old brick structure but maybe I can give it some Florida flair:).

I think 'cultured' passion vines do not come true when planted from seed, but the cuttings will be a clone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woqw1zicfk&list=PLYGVlVneknOH319x9M-K4R84sShqNiONt&index=1&t=364s

This is by far the best propagating video for passionfruit I've come across on youtube. Very thorough, you can skip forward, to about 25 minutes in, to see the planting/rooting in full detail. I saved it as I am about to try my luck with cuttings. Great channel, solid info. The guy is a biologist ...

He got my attention because it mentioned Frederick in the title; that is the passionfruit variety I ordered online. Mine is absolutely thriving and has exploded into an even thicker longer, fuller vine in the past two months. I will have plenty of cuttings to practice with just by keeping it mostly out of the jasmine tree. It seems to like climbing trees even better than growing on a fence. That bodes well for having it fully cover my gazebo.
I really want/need at least four successful cuttings, fingers crossed:).

This fall is year 2.5 - measured in gardening seasons - of my tropical garden/organic/permaculture experiment.
Where I live we can garden both in the spring and the autumn. Looking forward to weeks of cleanup, weeding to see what survived our hot, humid summer. Overall everything is doing rather well but it is a big garden and tons of work - lucky me.

@Trifele I still envy you Bob and all those apples, but slowly, as my tropical fruit garden grows up and fills in,
 I'm really appreciating the tropical bounty in my own garden - no bananas yet.

Happy fall gardening everyone!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
@Rosy I'll check out the passionflower video, thank you! Can't wait to see your Aldi passionflower gazebo if you're willing to share pics when it's installed :) I had no idea Aldi had gazebos. My tropical passionflowers are growing everywhere except up the oak trees where I wanted them to grow.

Speaking of apples, I have sugar apple seeds if anyone's interested. They're supposed to be native to tropical Americas and germinate well in either a seed tray or wrapped in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag (trying this now).

The fruit is delicious when ripe, tree is 2 years old and produced 7 fruit, so it fruits fairly early.  Cold hardy here in zone 9b /10a microclimate.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »
Harvested a lot yesterday.

Squash crop was phenomenal.
The great onion experiment worked out in the end.  Probably got 20 pounds of onions - mostly good sized white onions, but a decent amount of yellow storage and a fair number of french shallots.  The shallots were way bigger than grocery store sized ones.  They will be way easier to cook with (less peeling)
The popcorn is not quite ready but it was getting pulled down and eaten by raccoons. I cut all the stalks and stood them in the feed room of the barn to dry and the only predators there will be mice.  Hopefully they don't find them for a wee bit yet.
I grew three types of shelling beans.  The dragon tongue were disappointing in yield.  Black beans and orca beans look good.  They are all drying on the stems in the hay barn. 
I dug six hills of potatoes and got 15 pounds from the top of the garden.  All the potatoes near the bottom are rotting in the ground.  Hopefully not too many more are rotted and the rain holds off so I can get them lifted and drying.
The roma tomatoes got hit with frost but I got enough for the pasta sauce needs this year, but just, and in five sessions of canning. I need to have at least double the plants to make the processing worthwhile. They were disappointing in germination and quite frankly, yield on the vine - especially since I went to the trouble of staking them.  Next year I think I will plant an heirloom type seed, not the fancy ($$$) hybrid seed and go for volume over disease resistance.  I have a whole zone that hasn't had a tomato plant in 10 years and I can plant 30 plants in a single row and let them run on the ground  on top of straw.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2021, 01:28:02 PM »
I think 'cultured' passion vines do not come true when planted from seed, but the cuttings will be a clone.

These are seeds from a non-hybridized wild vine from a different species than maracuyá, so I would imagine they would come out just fine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2021, 02:12:40 PM »
My garden is nearly finished for the season.  Probably one more tomato picking, sweet potatoes when it gets cold enough, and bush beans just coming into flower.  The pole beans are finished.

General thoughts - pole beans do not like going into a bed where garlic was just growing.  My pole beans with the sweet potatoes did much better.

I have probably half a year's worth of diced tomato sauce in the freezer.  Half of that was a box of tomatoes from the grocery store, half my tomatoes. The Romas were plentiful but small, way too much work.  The Italian Heirloom (indeterminate) was good but I needed scissors to cut the stems, not easy picking, plus ridged adn a big core so a lot of waste.  Last year there were 2 large paste tomatoes in the box of Romas from the grocery store and I saved the seed.  I grew one plant from that, the tomatoes were like Roma but much larger.  Also a bush.  I've no idea if this is a known variety whose seeds got mixed in with Roma seeds, or a mutation, but they were perfectly fine tomatoes.  Frugal Lizard, if you want some seeds just let me know, I have plenty.

My medium size eating tomatoes did well.  None of the cherry tomatoes did well, they were slow to ripen and a lot of them split.

I usually grow wax beans but I tried a green and a purple pole bean as well this year.  Purple Peacock had amazing yields, the plants wanted to be 12' tall, and the whole plant was full of purple pigment - reddish leaves, deep pink flowers, purple beans.  They turned deep green when cooked.  Taste was good.  Garden of Eden was a green bean, taste was wonderful.  Both survived the garden snails that were everywhere this year.  Beurre de Rocquencourt did fine as my wax bean, the other variety may have been delicious but the snails ate all the plants at the 2-3 leaf stage.

Garlic harvest was good.  The plants in the middle of the bed did best, the ones near the edges not so well.  Music did better than the 2 reds I planted, the bulbs are big.

The onions did well, I planted Utah.  A good (not great) keeper but I have enough to get me to January, so keeping a long time is not going to be an issue.  Definitely a better harvest than when I plant sets, so starting from seed was worthwhile.

Peppers did well until recently, when the rain brought out the snails and the snails started eating the peppers.

The yellow zucchini was a success, I actually picked them at a nice small size because I could see them!  The rest of the squash were a bust, slow growing, 1 squash (last year I had many).  The cucumber vines died for no obvious reason.

The little rhubarb plants I planted last year did really well this year, I have lots of rhubarb in the freezer.  I am giving some of them away, when they get into full production next year I won't need as much as they will produce. 

The asparagus was healthy this year.  I think I will be able to get a small harvest next spring.

All that is left is to weed, pull stakes, and put all my equipment away.  My car can finally stop being a mobile garden shed!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!