Author Topic: Gardening: 2020  (Read 16142 times)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gardening: 2020
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
@Papa bear i have never had enough trouble with the mammals to bother with protective measures, but with cutworms, you can usually see them at night and they make a very satisfactory squish.

Is this a good spot for flower photos? Technically they’re an edible variety!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2020, 07:15:08 AM »
Cutworms, deer, or bunnies I bet
Well to hell with all of them.  Not much I can do about the mammals?  Cutworms? Maybe a garden safe pesticide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess deer or rabbits rather than cutworms, since cutworms generally just nibble holes into leaves rather than cutting the whole stalk. A neighbour covers her garden with scrunched up chicken wire in the spring, and she swears that the deer and rabbits don't like walking on it. It might be worth trying.

@MudPuppy Yes please to the flower photos!

Dogs are pretty effective at keeping deer and rabbits away.  Just sayin'

I've heard coyote urine is an effective deterrent too (sold in bottles... how odd).

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:28 AM »

Some daylilies and the rogue kale. As a bonus, one of my mammal deterrent systems enjoying a scritch on the kale.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2020, 08:16:06 AM »
When I lived in a forested area, the deer would walk along the lawn/forest boundary, see the dog asleep, and just keep walking.  Dog fur as mulch did help keep the beans safe though.

Cutworms can easily cut through a stem, that is why they are called cutworms.  For transplants like tomatoes and peppers a collar or stick right beside the stem protects the transplant.  Not sure what would work for corn.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Two new colors this afternoon

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2020, 02:41:45 PM »
Cutworms, deer, or bunnies I bet
Well to hell with all of them.  Not much I can do about the mammals?  Cutworms? Maybe a garden safe pesticide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’ve got cutworms. That’s the same thing that happened to my plants, and I eventually found a few of the culprits curled up at the scene of their destruction. They just look like regular caterpillars, but they cut the seedling off at the base and don’t even eat the whole plant they just cut (apparently they intend to pull the whole plant into their burrow to eat at their leisure, but mine don’t usually get around to that bit, they instead go cut a new seedling every night). I had to spend every day for the next week looking on the underside of the leaves and squishing the tiny cutworms before they got big enough to cut down any more seedlings. I squished about 30 a day. That kept them at bay and I didn’t lose anymore seedlings. If you catch them when they’re still smaller than a pinky fingernail clipping, they can only chew little holes in leaves, but if you let them get bigger than that, you lose entire seedlings at the base. Pretty much all my peppers and half of my tomatoes got lost from the first 2 grown cutworms before I wised up to them. Spinosad is an effective organic pesticide to treat an outbreak, but you need to use it sparingly and not near any flowers, as it’ll also kill your pollinators. Now my seedlings are big enough that they can’t get cut by an adult cutworm but the little assholes are chowing down on the new innermost leaves of my kale plants. One or two must have slipped through my daily culling and now is fully grown. When they’re fully grown, you can’t find them on undersides of leaves anymore, they are instead burrowed in the soil. So I’ve had to resort to spraying a bit of Spinosad on the inner kale leaves and hope my plants can survive the damage that’s already been done to them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:46:28 PM by BECABECA »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
Cutworms can easily cut through a stem, that is why they are called cutworms.  For transplants like tomatoes and peppers a collar or stick right beside the stem protects the transplant.  Not sure what would work for corn.

WOW! I just thought that they cut little pieces of leaves off. Dang!

@MudPuppy I love your lilies and sweet pup!

In a gardening/cheap things that make me happy win/ DIY thread master merge, when I bought my house in 2016, my back yard was taken up by a dilapidated garage, gravel drive and neglected patch of weeds. Years of puttering (and having pros install a proper fence in 2019) have turned it into a real delight. The garage is gone, with a small section of the foundation fenced off for parking, the gravel drive is now home to my raised veggie beds, and the weed patch is a mix of clover and grass with a wide border for flowers, apple trees, raspberries, lilac, saskatoons, rhubarb and my strawberry gutter stand. I even saw a monarch sniff at the milkweed plants the other day. Not bad for a small urban garden!

Your back yard sounds wonderful.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
Anyone read "Bunicula" (probably as a child, or to a child)? 

Because that's what my beets look like right now.  The leaves have gone from vibrant to a pale, ghastly white.  No idea why.  The rest of the garden looks good - in fact the tomatoes and tomatillos in the same bed are really taking off (finally).

What gives?

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Backyard gardening is the pits.  Between deer, rabbits, crows, squirrels, cutworks, stink bugs, disease, it's a miracle our species can grow enough food survive.  I guess that's where mega farms and chemicals some in.  Your own produce sure tastes better and there's a sense of satisfaction but man is it hard work.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Backyard gardening is the pits.  Between deer, rabbits, crows, squirrels, cutworks, stink bugs, disease, it's a miracle our species can grow enough food survive.  I guess that's where mega farms and chemicals some in.  Your own produce sure tastes better and there's a sense of satisfaction but man is it hard work.

I'm just started on this book Gaia's Garden, but in the intro he writes about planting a kind of fence of easy native edible bushes on the corner of the yard where deer came in, and then the human-preferred varieties on the inside, with thorny things in between. A natural deer deterrent that still lets them eat!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »

Because that's what my beets look like right now.  The leaves have gone from vibrant to a pale, ghastly white.  No idea why.  The rest of the garden looks good - in fact the tomatoes and tomatillos in the same bed are really taking off (finally).

What gives?

OMG Bunicula. I remember that.

Are the roots OK for the beets? Otherwise no ideas.  :-(

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »

What gives?

I've had white patches develop on beet leaves, as part of the leaf blanches and dies for no apparent reason. I've never done anything about it and it doesn't seem to effect the overall health of the plant or subsequent leaves. If your whole leaves are turning white or the white parts aren't drying out, then it might be something different.

Thanks.  It's about 90% of the leaves, and it happened over a 2 day period where they went from large and healthy to just...dead.  FWIW we did have a cold snap, but I don't think the temperature dropped below about 37ºF (+2.5ºC).  Definitely not below freezing.

There are a few healthy-looking bladelets.  Also, the roots seem to be just fine, but still far too small for harvesting. 

I'm thinking the cold is NOT the culprit because the tomato plants a row over are seemingly unaffected.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »
I picked peas and strawberries today!

The squirrels and I are having our annual battle. They insist on rooting around in the pots.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
I noticed that my grocery store is out of canning jar lids, and when I checked Amazon, they seemed low on stock and high on price.

I’d suggest that if you are planning to can garden produce, start keeping your eyes open for those lids...

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »
I guess the pumpkin and watermelon hills are coming along alright? But I have got to figure out weed management...

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
a hoe will keep the worst of it down and then the rest is practicing a little tolerance :)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2020, 04:47:39 PM »
So much for those mammal deterrents!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
Has anybody else ever grown Physalis peruviana?  It has a bunch of different common names, aguaymanto, cape gooseberry, uchuva, goldenberry and several others.  I had them in Peru, and they taste like cherries.  I'd love any growing tips.  They didn't do that well when I tried them out last year, but that was probably mostly the fact that I got burnt out on gardening last year. 

I guess the pumpkin and watermelon hills are coming along alright? But I have got to figure out weed management...

Weed management with watermelons and pumpkins is hard because they spread out so much.  I don't know what the answer is there.  Maybe plastic?  I had volunteer pumpkins one year, and it worked out because they were just taller than the weeds.  I just weeded around the base of the plants and let the rest of it grow up. 

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »
Cape gooseberries grow like weeds here. They self seed, and birds must spread the seed as well. I like them for snacking while gardening. My one attempt to purposefully grow them got hammered by salt winds. I cut them back hard and they came back OK. I dont think they are sold as plants commercially - or maybe I have just never looked.
If you get heavy frosts or snow then you may have to grow them as annuals, or cover them over winter.

Ive bought them dried as "golden berries", expensive but tangy and delicious.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2020, 06:12:06 AM »
Also growing cape gooseberries for the first time (from seeds from Trader Joe's, love this fruit!). They're still quite small, and one plant is being eaten by grasshoppers. Hoping they take off soon.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2020, 11:28:29 AM »
We get well below freezing here, so aguaymantos/cape gooseberries are annuals in my garden.  (I call them aguaymantos because I had them in Peru).  I think some of my plants reseeded themselves from last year, though.  I have tomatillos that keep reseeding themselves, and that's in the same genus. 

The plants look to be very healthy so far, and they've been developing fruit for about a week now.  Do they do ok with heat, humidity, and pests?  We are going to have a whole lot of those for the next 3 months. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Wow you're getting fruit already! From what I understand, they are related to tomatoes and can do well in similar climate/growing conditions that favor tomatoes. Will see how they fare here with the heat, humidity and pests. So far, the pests are winning.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
Wow you're getting fruit already! From what I understand, they are related to tomatoes and can do well in similar climate/growing conditions that favor tomatoes. Will see how they fare here with the heat, humidity and pests. So far, the pests are winning.

I just mean that new fruit is starting to form.  If it's anything like tomatoes I'm still a ways out from anything ripe.  I had read that they like the same climate as tomatoes, and tomatoes really struggle here during July and August.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're not as delicate and prissy as tomato plants.  So far so good, but May and June have been abnormally mild.  My tomatoes still look healthy, too. 

I'm surprised that so many people have heard of cape gooseberries/aguaymantos.  I never had until my Peru trip. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2020, 12:30:06 PM »
Alright, 2020 really needs to improve.  Fast, please.

Two hours ago it was blue sky, and I decided to apply some stain to our picnic table.  I was working right next to our lettuce nad tomato beds.  The tomatoes were all in flower and looked healthy as can be.

An hour ago a massive storm rolled in with marble-sized hail.  My yard is completely white now and my tomato plants look like a truck ran over them.

WTF, nature??

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
We have a groundhog! A friggin woodchuck! In our yard! In the middle of the city! I'm excited at the novelty and also very concerned for my vines, lol. He seems to live under my neighbors' deck and come in through a hole in their fence. Might need to patch that up after the novelty wears off 😅

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Alright, 2020 really needs to improve.  Fast, please.

Two hours ago it was blue sky, and I decided to apply some stain to our picnic table.  I was working right next to our lettuce nad tomato beds.  The tomatoes were all in flower and looked healthy as can be.

An hour ago a massive storm rolled in with marble-sized hail.  My yard is completely white now and my tomato plants look like a truck ran over them.

WTF, nature??

Summer thunderstorms, what can you do?  I've had hail cover the deck at former-house in July and August.

I hope your tomatoes are OK.  But if a tomato has a broken stem, it can send up new sprouts from leaf axils.  Prune it at the break, leave the original stem in the ground, and hope.  You can also try re-rooting the top part of the stem, tomatoes are tough.  Good luck.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
So I've got an emerging problem:  My cucumber plants are getting frisky with my tomato and tomatillo plants, and I'm not sure they like it very much.

Stupid me, I seemed to have planted them too close together.  Four plants total (one tomato, one tomatillo, two cucumbers) each in a corner of a 4x4' bed.  In the last day the cucumbers have started putting tendrils out onto the tomato frames.

Debating what to do:  I could
1) cull the cucumbers down to one plant.  NOt ideal becasuse what happens if that one dies (I'll be left with none)

2) attempt to divert the cucumber tendrils out and over the raised bed and onto my lawn.  I'm leaning towards this option but I'm not 100% sure it will work.  the raised bed is about 12" above the yard... I **think** that should be doable?   It also means I'll have a patch of lawn that I'll probably have to lay down cardboard or something similar on to prevent the grass from getting overgrown there.

Any advice?

**eliminating the tomato and/or tomatillo is not an acceptable option, as these are both our best (biggest) plants right now.  I'm pretty certain they are also both too big to transplant anymore (each is >24" (65cm) in height).

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2020, 09:48:22 AM »
I’d cobble together a trellis for the cucumbers to climb so they get less interested in climbing the tomatoes

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »
I’d cobble together a trellis for the cucumbers to climb so they get less interested in climbing the tomatoes

This. I used to stake my cucumbers with rebar.  It's  overkill re support, but easy.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2020, 05:48:50 PM »
I hadn’t thought about trellising my cucumbers, but it makes sense.  I mean, they put out tendrils... which as I’m learning are NOT for hugging plants of other genre.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
your cucumbers:

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
...actually it looks more like this:

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
I actually lol'd

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »
I put my cukes in tubs by the chain link fence, so that they can clamber up that. I think they do better if they aren’t on the ground.

I have long running wars with the local groundhog(s). They are verrrry fond of lettuce.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
Got some hail earlier today, enough to cover the ground in white stuff. It melted fast, and apart from some holes in the larger leaves, it doesn't look like it has substantially hurt the plants.

Most of the carrots are harvested, I think I will pull up the rest too. They could probably grow larger, but they are good enough. I want to see how many crops we have time for here, so the new carrots and lettuce has been planted.

The beans and cucumber have quite yellow leaves, and are growing quite slowly. The peas and potatoes in the same/neighboring beds are happy. I think it could be the soil, i suspect there is quite a lot of immature compost/manure in it, so they are getting burned. Or maybe it got too hot and dry? We'll see if they bounce back.

Several of the berries are ripening, I'm picking a few yellow raspberries daily, and the red currants are getting more colour by the day. Unfortunately, what I bought as a white currant is also turning red. Guess it was mislabeled. The black currants probably need to go, they are very old and only have a few berries. I was considering cutting them down and getting fresh shoots from the root, but it turns out the taste isn't very good. The neighbour has a couple of cherry trees where the branches are reaching into our garden. I went over to tell him they were ripe, and he told me to eat as much as we want.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »
I think I might have finally cracked the code for lettuce. I’ve been frustrated that I get so little yells from the lettuce before it gets too hot and bolts in my area. This year I planted it in a little rectangular planter that I started in a sunny spot on my patio and have moved into shadier areas as the heat rose. Now, despite a scorcher of a June I am only just now starting to lose the crop. I think I can do this in the reverse for my fall batch and extend that season too.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
I just picked another kg of blueberries.  I'm up to 8 kg (18 lbs) so far, and that's not including all the blueberries that accidentally land in my mouth instead of the bucket.  That's almost $100 worth if I bought them at the farmers' market.  And the season's not done yet.     

A few of my new strawberry plants seem to have died from a lack of water. Before planting them in gutters I read that you need to water them daily when it's hot, but being the wild risk-taker that I am - I left them a whopping 36 hours between waterings. Most of the plants perked up after being watered, and I'm holding out hope that the dead-looking ones will send out new leaves.

On the plus side, I've eaten several ripe strawberries, and they're worth the fuss!

I found this out the hard way.  I had them in the ground, but I only had one plant survive 2 consecutive years with summer droughts.  Between that and the birds and chipmunks taking most of them, I just decided it wasn't worth it.  Blueberries are just easier here. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »
I just picked another kg of blueberries.  I'm up to 8 kg (18 lbs) so far, and that's not including all the blueberries that accidentally land in my mouth instead of the bucket.  That's almost $100 worth if I bought them at the farmers' market.  And the season's not done yet.     

That's a great haul! How many bushes do you have? Are they high bush or low bush varieties? I planted two saskatoon bushes this year, but it'll be years before they fruit.

I have 6 bushes, but only one of them is mature.  The rest are still fairly small, but still put out a surprising amount of berries for their size.  They're all high bush except for one pinkberry bush that I think is low bush.  From what I understand, high bush does much better in Southern heat and humidity.  I have mostly Climax variety, but I also have another bush I got as a sideshoot from my great uncle's bush.  It's probably either an heirloom variety or a wild plant if I had to guess. 

It took about 8 years before my big bush was really mature.  It started giving a handful of berries a few years in, though.  The bushes I planted in 2014(?) still aren't that big, but they've given me a surprising amount of berries both last year and this year. 

Did you make sure your soil was acidic?  Getting the soil pH down is important for blueberries.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Woodchuck destroyed my raised beds this year. I have a split rail fence around all my garden to keep deer out as they're the usual problem.  We live in the middle of dense forest so woodchucks don't typically hang around here.  Not this year.   So this weekend I am going to start building chicken wire box frames to put over each raised bed.  I think I'll also make a cold frame while I'm at it for winter crops.  Fucker even ate my pumpkin vines. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
dougules I have the opposite climate concerns as you, and am mostly concerned with whether high bush varieties can withstand the deep cold of the winters here. Low bush varieties are hardier, but they produce a lot less. I haven't altered or even tested the soil where I put the saskatoons in, though now that you mention it, I'll do some research.

That's funny because I was specifically told by the guy at the nursery that my pink lemonade blueberry bush was on the very southern end of its possible range.  He said I should only buy it if I wanted an experiment.  Sure enough it has had a tough time, but this year it's starting to look healthy.  I've gotten a few cups of berries off of it this year and last year.  They're pretty good. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »
I picked another 400g of blueberries today.  We're getting close to the end.

All my tomatoes came in at once this week.  Why do they do that?  If only I could get a moderate amount spread over a while like the blueberries do.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »

All my tomatoes came in at once this week.  Why do they do that?  If only I could get a moderate amount spread over a while like the blueberries do.

I'm  waiting for mine to ripen, one of these days I will have a glut.  I finally hit Google gardening sites and apparently the pigments don't get made if it is too hot.  As soon as things cool down a bit I can see all my light green tomatoes ripening at once.  Did you have a cool spell?

I live in 4a and high bush blueberries do just fine here.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »

I'm  waiting for mine to ripen, one of these days I will have a glut.  I finally hit Google gardening sites and apparently the pigments don't get made if it is too hot.  As soon as things cool down a bit I can see all my light green tomatoes ripening at once.  Did you have a cool spell?

The plants don't like really hot weather, but the tomatoes turn colors with no problems even when it's good and hot.  We get plenty of that, too.  There hasn't been a cool spell since May, and there won't be one until September.  Tomatoes do take a really long time to ripen, like almost a month sometimes. 

I'm in Zone 7b, and high bush blueberries do well here, too.  They're native to eastern North America, so they evolved to handle our schizophrenic climate.  Most other common crops come from regions with more even climates. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2020, 05:24:39 PM »

The plants don't like really hot weather, but the tomatoes turn colors with no problems even when it's good and hot.  We get plenty of that, too.  There hasn't been a cool spell since May, and there won't be one until September.  Tomatoes do take a really long time to ripen, like almost a month sometimes. 

I'm in Zone 7b, and high bush blueberries do well here, too.  They're native to eastern North America, so they evolved to handle our schizophrenic climate.  Most other common crops come from regions with more even climates.

Are your tomato varieties described as heat tolerant? Or just regular varieties grown all over?  Everyone here is complaining about how slow the tomatoes are, and it has been a hot summer.   May be we are just expecting faster ripening because of the heat, and the tomatoes are doing their own thing.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
Are your tomato varieties described as heat tolerant? Or just regular varieties grown all over?  Everyone here is complaining about how slow the tomatoes are, and it has been a hot summer.   May be we are just expecting faster ripening because of the heat, and the tomatoes are doing their own thing.

I don't know if there is such a thing.  I just kind of accept that at some point the tomato plants are going to start looking a little sickly.  They generally come back to life in the fall and give another run of tomatoes. A lot of the tomatoes that start developing during the spring, though, ripen after the weather has been hot for a while.  They have no problem turning red in the heat.  From what I've seen tomatoes are like Goldilocks.  They don't like it too cold and don't it too hot.  If you've had a particularly hot summer for your area, then it might very well slow the plants down.  If I had to guess, they'll probably pick back up when the weather becomes "just right" again.  Here that will be late September. 

As far as tomatoes all coming in at one time, it can also depend on the variety.  For ripening, I pretty much always pick mine as they are starting to ripen and then ripen them in the house so that I don't have so much slug, snail, or animal damage.  I pick them once they start to turn from green to yellow/orange and then put them in a closed cardboard box or a paper bag (just don't stack them too deep) and pop them into a closet or cupboard.  I also had a lot of success this year ripening totally green ones as we had a semi-dismal tomato ripening season here where I live in Australia so had a heap of green ones that hadn't started to change color (same latitude as Oregon only on the southern side of the equator so growing is the same).  Have been doing this for years after it was recommended on tv and it works a treat!  They taste great, I can keep an eye on them as far as damage goes and they ripen perfectly.  I tend to also keep some of the stem on them if I can, but that's not critical.  I found by doing this my yield is a lot higher as I lose a lot less to damage.

I'm pretty sure my tomatoes are indeterminate, so I think it's a quirk of the weather this year that they all came in at once. 

I like to let the tomatoes ripen on the vine when possible.  My biggest problem is chipmunks that like to take one bite out of each tomato just before it's good and ripe.  My cats are worthless.  If I had more give-a-$@#@, I'd try to put nets over the tomatoes like I do my blueberry bushes.  I don't know if that would protect against rodents like it does birds, though.

Do you get freezing weather where you are?  I've heard that tomatoes are a perennial if your winter is mild enough.  We always have a night or two each winter where we get down to -10C.  Right before the first frost we always pick all the green tomatoes off the vines and use the trick you're talking about.  We are usually eating those until around Christmas. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
We haven't had much of a vegetable garden in  recent years, but  this season we decided to go full-on. Gophers under and deer over  are  challenges here so  we  have raised beds with double wire on the bottom  in a  10X8 enclosure with a  latch gate. The focus of  our planting was for  the end result  of a green salad/Greek salad plus ratatouille result. Mostly good,  we  have a  bumper crop  of lettuce, Brandywine/Sungold tomatoes, peppers with slower to show cucumbers and eggplant. Looking  forward to the first ratatouille dinner in a week  or  two.Endive lettuce and Escarole were  new experiments  this year. Belgian endive looks  like a  miss but oh well.  Lots  of fresh  herbs and radishes. Larger zucchini down  the line will be stuffed and  baked. I beefed up the soil in the spring  with compost  and some super-duper Whitman's bagged amendment and think it was a good investment of  $11.99. Every couple  of weeks I've done a low dose fish emulsion feed that I think has been  helpful.

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
Added a garden for the first time this year and I'm hooked. Peppers, tomatoes, basil, and ground cherries. Loving the ground cherries!! Glad my CSA introduced them to us last year.

Definitely will be expanding next year

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
Added a garden for the first time this year and I'm hooked. Peppers, tomatoes, basil, and ground cherries. Loving the ground cherries!! Glad my CSA introduced them to us last year.

Definitely will be expanding next year

My ground cherries are really good, too.  Mine are much smaller than the ones I had in Peru, though.  I'm wondering if that's due to the variety, how I'm growing them, or just my punishing climate.

I also recently read that there's also a native ground cherry species in North America that was eaten before European colonization.  It would be interesting to try those if I could find plants or seeds.