Author Topic: Garden no-buy for March 2021  (Read 1931 times)

Dreamer40

• Bristles
Garden no-buy for March 2021
« on: March 03, 2021, 06:20:41 PM »
Anyone want to join me on a garden no-buy for the month of March? I bought a lot of plants and prep stuff in February and told my family I wasn’t going to buy anything else for the yard in March. They don’t believe me. :)

So far, I’ve not bought a clipper sharper or any of the seedlings from the garden store down the street. I’m going to just focus on growing all the things I bought already and starting more seeds I already own.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: Garden no-buy for March 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »
Good luck with that - dream on:).

I love my garden and I don't think there are any passionate gardeners in the entire universe that don't have extra seeds or crave 'sumptin' for their gardens.
Having said that I am guilty of ordering way too many seeds last year so there truly is no need or room to plant any more.
Lucky for me I live in Florida and have two garden seasons, Spring and Fall.

Nevertheless, here I was two days ago ordering three more packs of seeds, eyeing a specialty plant catalog and intend to visit my local nursery for the first time in months.
Covid did not save me money on the garden instead I ordered plants online...
But, corona also enticed me to plant all those rare plant seeds I bought online two years ago and never got around to planting - so not an entire loss/fail.

Gardening gives me lots of joy so all I am willing to do is
1. stay within the limits of my monthly slush fund
2. evaluate my plans and spending twice a year so I know I am fine with my overall spending
3. joined a local share and trade plant group on FB
4. focus on perennials instead of annuals - including veggies - it can be done and is a time saver too. Bought a book or two and found some great gardening channels on youtube
there are plenty more ways but you get my drift - forcing a spending moratorium is not the only way and in my case detrimental to my emotional health.

Just sayin' - dialing down may be a good idea but tools can be borrowed and free materials found if one is so inclined ...

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 05:52:56 PM »
I already blew it. Ha. Husband ripped out a string of bamboo plants this morning that came with the house and I started thinking of what to replace them with. We already drove to the nursery and bought two olive trees. Oh well! I really do want to focus on my current projects but it’s easy to keep starting new ones this time of year while waiting for spring to really kick in. It’s all within budget so it’s fine. Just trying to slow myself down in general and relax.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
Well, I might actually succeed in that, but that's mostly because it's March and there's still snow on the ground. Too early to plant outside, and I don't do seeds inside.

However, I do plan to buy a bunch of plants, because I created/defined beds last year and they're pretty much empty. What is currently there isn't going to stay there. That will be bunches of plants.

And mulch. I give up, I need about a truckload of mulch.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »
I already bought a small grow light and some seedling containers this month.  If my last seed order doesn't come soon I may brave actually entering a building to buy some replacement seeds because the time to plant them is NOW!!!!