Author Topic: Unable to answer one of the verification questions  (Read 17538 times)

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Unable to answer one of the verification questions
« on: June 03, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
This post can be disregarded. I am now able to post without answering this question. Thank you

I've read if I post enough it will go away. Anyway, it's asking me for the first word of the title in the first blog. I can't seem to answer it correctly.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:02:36 PM by jimmyshutter »

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Unable to answer one of the verification questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »
This post can be disregarded. I can now post without answering this question.
I have the same problem - cannot find the correct first word of the title of the first post. I tried Googling it, using the first post in the thread, or the first post of the first thread in the forums.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:20:56 PM by sanderh »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:40:15 AM »
What did you try?

[Edit: redacted]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:58:13 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply, arebelspy! Some newbie in the future may benefit from it.
It was quite frustrating to try to answer the same question many times and get the wrong answer.

jeaneallenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 01:05:34 AM »
Thanks @arebelspy
I was refereed by my friend to join Mrmoneymustache. While registering i faced problem answering the answers. I did not know what what was the first post and the title. I googled it and found your answer. I wanna thank you to help the new users. I am glad that I have made it.

What did you try?

[Mod Edit: redacted]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:58:24 PM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
Happy to help. Welcome! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »
I actually think having this post here as a cheat sheet to easily google defeats the purpose of having verification questions to register.

The reason to have them is to make it not worth the time/annoying enough for a casual spammer/troll/SEO black hat to not bother doing enough reading to be able to find the answers.

If all it takes is a google to register, then instead of someone being genuinely interested in the forum and FIRE stuff and have read the blog enough to be able to answer them, they can just short cut by doing the google, find this thread and hop on and start spamming.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:26:06 PM by Frankies Girl »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »
I actually think having this post here as a cheat sheet to easily google defeats the purpose of having verification questions to register.

The reason to have them is to make it not worth the time/annoying enough for a casual spammer/troll/SEO black hat to not bother doing enough reading to be able to find the answers.

If all it takes is a google to register, then instead of someone being genuinely interested in the forum and FIRE stuff and have read the blog enough to be able to answer them, they can just short cut by doing the google, find this thread and hop on and start spamming.

Fair enough. I removed it. Hopefully people can actually figure it out. Go to all the blog posts since the beginning of time. Scroll down to the first blog post. Look at the first word of the title. :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Seems like a lot of work for a spammer to answer questions, and read and type the captcha like letters.  In truth the captcha letters are more of a problem for me as I have a real hard time reading them even with reading glasses. I guess in a way, the questions are kind of a research challenge. Probably good for us.   

Oh my god I hate captchas and I don't even need glasses. But apparently I'm part robot, because I always get em wrong on the first try.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Seems like a lot of work for a spammer to answer questions, and read and type the captcha like letters.  In truth the captcha letters are more of a problem for me as I have a real hard time reading them even with reading glasses. I guess in a way, the questions are kind of a research challenge. Probably good for us.   

Oh my god I hate captchas and I don't even need glasses. But apparently I'm part robot, because I always get em wrong on the first try.

Did you post a picture of you dressed up like a robot at some point, or am I imaging that? Somehow that came to my head.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
There was a Halloween picture of me dressed as a Sriracha bottle. And then later in the night, after I lost the cap, I had a picture with a stolen Darth Vader helmet, which I guess is an accidental part robot costume.

FIPilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:39 AM »
Ok total noob here, and I apologize for not knowing this. Why do I have to go through the security checks EVERY time I post? Is there a way to turn this feature off? I want to post here, ask questions, but ifI have to answer a captcha and 2 question every time, I will never participate here.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »
Ok total noob here, and I apologize for not knowing this. Why do I have to go through the security checks EVERY time I post? Is there a way to turn this feature off? I want to post here, ask questions, but ifI have to answer a captcha and 2 question every time, I will never participate here.

The CAPTCHA is to discourage the spammers. It turns off after two posts.

FIPilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »
Awesome! Haha I asked gay question on my 2nd post.

Thanks,

Tim

kimura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »
Trying to post and having the same issue. Hopefully this one will turn it off. I cant read captcha well lol

kimura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »
YUP. That worked :0