Author Topic: The forum is back up!  (Read 23936 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The forum is back up!
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
It’s much faster now!

Yes, for the last few hours. Though it did go down in the morning, once it came back up it has been very responsive and fast.

Thanks to all that have been working on this.

I wonder what would happen if China caught FIRE!?

InSearchOfFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
Seems to be working great today.  I really missed it!

Many thanks to MMM and the mods and all who helped get this show back up and running!

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you! 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
The forum being down is an international conspiracy to force me to be productive at work.  Boooooooo!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
Woo Hoo! Baby, we're BACK!

Thanks to all concerned.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »
I thought IP filtering was typically performed at the router level for speed

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »

Not an expert.  Yes, routers can do IP filtering at their level.  But if China is sending web traffic MMM's way, it's going along Internet backbones and not going through routers at that point.

Thanks, mods, admins, MMM, etc.  Quite fast for me currently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
Hi my name is Dicey and I may have a slight MMM Forum addiction. It's been a rough week. Thanks to our might mod team, especially @arebelspy, who is never foiled by bad guys.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »
The forum being down sucked, but it was good that eh glitch began while so many of us were together FOR CM*TO... at least we had friends to share the misery with.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
The forum being down is an international conspiracy to force me to be productive at work.  Boooooooo!

Two words: You Tube.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2019, 12:42:36 AM »

Not an expert.  Yes, routers can do IP filtering at their level.  But if China is sending web traffic MMM's way, it's going along Internet backbones and not going through routers at that point.

Not an expert either but I think routers are integral to this whole Internet thing and can’t really be bypassed

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2019, 01:28:25 AM »

Not an expert either but I think routers are integral to this whole Internet thing and can’t really be bypassed

At first I thought you were referring to Internet backbone sites (which I thought had routing devices that were called switches).

But after thinking about it some more, I guess you may be referring to the router between the MMM forum server and it's upstream Internet backbone site.  You're right, that router can't be bypassed if you want to get to the MMM server.

My little home-quality cable modem / wifi router isn't powerful or configurable enough to handle the kind of problem being discussed here, but it's certainly conceivable that commercial-quality routers could.

ETA:  Actually, it used to be that you could connect a computer directly to an Internet backbone site with a Ethernet network card and a hardcoded IP address (of course you should own that IP address, otherwise you can cause problems), so *technically* you didn't need a router to be on the Internet.  I did it myself back in the mid-90's at a Silicon Valley-based Fortune 500 company.  In limited cases this is probably true today - I bet there are some Google IT guys' computers set up that way just so then don't have to have a router slowing things down ;-).  Obviously, though, the vast, vast majority of users these days are connected via routers, get dynamically assigned IP addresses, etc.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:38:41 AM by secondcor521 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2019, 07:19:22 AM »

At first I thought you were referring to Internet backbone sites (which I thought had routing devices that were called switches).

But after thinking about it some more, I guess you may be referring to the router between the MMM forum server and it's upstream Internet backbone site.  You're right, that router can't be bypassed if you want to get to the MMM server.

My little home-quality cable modem / wifi router isn't powerful or configurable enough to handle the kind of problem being discussed here, but it's certainly conceivable that commercial-quality routers could.

ETA:  Actually, it used to be that you could connect a computer directly to an Internet backbone site with a Ethernet network card and a hardcoded IP address (of course you should own that IP address, otherwise you can cause problems), so *technically* you didn't need a router to be on the Internet.  I did it myself back in the mid-90's at a Silicon Valley-based Fortune 500 company.  In limited cases this is probably true today - I bet there are some Google IT guys' computers set up that way just so then don't have to have a router slowing things down ;-).  Obviously, though, the vast, vast majority of users these days are connected via routers, get dynamically assigned IP addresses, etc.

Could be, but I think you are reading too much into the different terminology of router v switches.  That could be how it’s used in industry but these days the distinction is very gray.  You need a device capable of routing packets for internet.  A switch that decides where to send packets is performing a routing function as far as I’m concerned

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the peak behind the curtain @arebelspy and I'm really happy and surprised the problem turned out to be a single /16 block.

Forum is nice and snappy. Like any short term discomfort I find myself appreciating near instant page loading here in a way I never would have before a week or two of "open each link in a new tab, go do something else, and come back to see if I have something read or the connection timed out" performance.

A big thank you to both the mod and the IT teams!

sol confirmed?

Someone said the Sol person wasn't banned, just got angry and left. Something about his wife forcing him back to work.

I disappear for a few months and I miss all sorts of forum drama. Lucky timing on my part.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »
Thanks to any and all who took the time to fix what needed fixing!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
sol confirmed?

Someone said the Sol person wasn't banned, just got angry and left. Something about his wife forcing him back to work.

I disappear for a few months and I miss all sorts of forum drama. Lucky timing on my part.

CliffsNotes: Heated discussion in a very political thread made sol decide to leave the forum.

I'm done.  I'm sure the forum will be fine without me.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »

Could be, but I think you are reading too much into the different terminology of router v switches.  That could be how it’s used in industry but these days the distinction is very gray.  You need a device capable of routing packets for internet.  A switch that decides where to send packets is performing a routing function as far as I’m concerned

Fair enough.  After my initial disagreeable post, I was mostly just trying to understand where the disconnect was.  Honestly how the Internet actually works is not my main area of knowledge.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2019, 11:11:46 AM »

No, someone just wants you to spend-spend-spend! Can't be sharing the kind of wise info this forum teaches.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
fwiw when there is a major issue, the email address that is listed as the contact is invalid:

There was a problem delivering your message to webmaster@MrMoneyMustache.com. See the technical details below.