Author Topic: Suggestion for New Rule/FAQ to Optimize Use of Forum  (Read 28608 times)

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
Suggestion for New Rule/FAQ to Optimize Use of Forum
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Could the "No Spam" rule be expanded to suggest not using "PTF" or "+1"?

Also, could the instructions on how to use Notify/Unnotify (in place of PTF) be added to the FAQs? The instructions below probably could be used if cleaned up a bit. Also the orange NEW button is often misidentified as a flag, not a button. Maybe make that clear somewhere?

On any page of the forums, there is a menu at the top with these options: Home, Help, Search, Profile, My Messages, Member, Logout.

Click the word Profile. (Yes, it's a drop-down menu, but it's also a button. Click it.)

You'll be taken to a page with a set of sub-menus: Profile Info, Modify Profile.

Hover over Modify Profile, and choose Notifications.

BOOKMARK/FAVORITE the Notifications page!

NOTE: I have a favorite called "MMM-N" (N for notifications) in my bookmarks/favorites bar. That's the favorite I use almost all the time. (I occasionally look at "Unread posts since last visit", too, as well as new posts in the Post-Fire forum. I almost never look at "New replies to your posts" because if I want to keep track of a thread I posted in, I used the Notify button on that thread, and then it shows up on my Notifications page.)

All you email complainers should probably choose these settings on the Notifications page at the top: 1) uncheck all the checkboxes, and 2) for this setting "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me:" choose Weekly. (Then just delete the weekly email that shows up, or set up a rule to auto-delete it.)

On the Notifications page, just as on the "unread posts" and "new replies to your posts" pages, there is an orange NEW button next to threads that you should be clicking to see what's new on the threads you're following.

And of course, click the Notify button (near the Reply button) on any thread you want to appear on your notifications page. If you lose interest in a thread, click the Unnotify button.

When you want to visit the MMM forums, use the Notifications page as your starting point.

(Edited to bold the text about the orange NEW button.)

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
Re: Suggestion for New Rule/FAQ to Optimize Use of Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
The PTF or +1 responses give an indication of interest in a thread or express support without new info. Both can add to the conversation just like larger crowds or applause give info at a live conference. I find both interesting and don't consider them spam at all.
Maybe if there was a way to see how many people are notified on a thread, that could replace the PTF.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:10:17 PM by MoseyingAlong »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
Macoconut, you might want to PM the moderators about your post, to ensure your idea reaches the mods. Arebelspy has posted previously that mods aren’t able to read every thread.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:55 AM »
We are definitely considering a migration and, along with being able to set rules for newcomers to prevent them from posting new topics for bit, this would be one of our concerns.

The PTF/+1 thing, while not a bannable offense, does clutter up a thread.  (It's not like posting "FIRST!" which gets you tossed into a lake of molten lava).

Thanks,
Toque.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
We are definitely considering a migration and, along with being able to set rules for newcomers to prevent them from posting new topics for bit, this would be one of our concerns.
Thanks for the update!

Meanwhile, are any of these Twenty-four things you can do to make SMF go faster easy enough to do? 

Just checking in case that link would be overlooked in this post.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Meanwhile, are any of these Twenty-four things you can do to make SMF go faster easy enough to do? 

Just checking in case that link would be overlooked in this post.

Paul der Krake deserves credit for digging that link up.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
I have a suggestion, if forum modifications might happen. (And yes, I have emails turned on for selected posts, but only for the first reply).

I make extensive use of the "show new replies to your posts" button, but that does of course require me to post in said thread. I don't want to get emailed over some threads. How about adding a new button "Show new replies to posts you are following" and instead of, or as well as the notify button, you have a "follow thread" at the top and bottom of each page?

Just my 2ç

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
I have a suggestion, if forum modifications might happen. (And yes, I have emails turned on for selected posts, but only for the first reply).

I make extensive use of the "show new replies to your posts" button, but that does of course require me to post in said thread. I don't want to get emailed over some threads. How about adding a new button "Show new replies to posts you are following" and instead of, or as well as the notify button, you have a "follow thread" at the top and bottom of each page?

Just my 2ç

Oooh +1 that's a great idea I would love that.  That would solve the whole problem.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
The PTF or +1 responses give an indication of interest in a thread or express support without new info. Both can add to the conversation just like larger crowds or applause give info at a live conference. I find both interesting and don't consider them spam at all.

I agree with this post. I don't want PTF or +1 to be banned from the forum. They are easy enough to scroll past, and it's part of the forum culture.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

Plus why add a really trivial issue to the mods' workload - pretty sure the (unpaid!) mods have enough to do without adding being the PTF police to their plate.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »
The light moderation is part of the culture here (I thought), so punishing well-intentioned folks from using +1 or PTF/P2F doesn’t seem to fall in the same spirit.  And it’s not “spam”, it’s a response you may not be interested in (some of those are a lot longer).

IF this was really about improving the performance of the forum, this would be a different discussion for me. But it’s not, it’s about someone who got irritated by something that doesn’t fit within their ideas of “proper rules”.  This to a crowd that prides themselves on not following standard rules.

It would be great to have more guidance on efficiently navigating the forum, following threads of interest, etc. that alone may naturally reduce these “offensive” behaviors.

Viva la rule breakers!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:22:29 PM »

Just my 2ç
+1

Oh wait... I agree with this suggestion! I intentionally comment in threads just so they will show up in my 'show new replies to your posts' list, if I could hit a follow button to do the same thing that would be cool.

But overall this seems trivial. I don't see a problem with +1 or PTF.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
Perhaps there should be a poll about this?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
I like PTF but I'm happy to never use it if it's considered spam. I'd just put something else that doesn't actually contribute knowledge to the world though like "what a great idea for a thread" or "looking forward to following your journey" so I can't really see what banning it achieves. What I don't like is the idea of people following journals by lurking but never making themselves known. It wouldn't feel so creepy on general threads!

+1 would be easily removed by having a like button. I've used other forums in the past and they all had these and as a result, very few '+1' posts.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
I, too, enjoy and appreciate the +1s and PTFs. For me, they enhance the forum experience.

I would additionally enjoy an option to follow (and later unfollow) a thread via the click of a button that results in the same outcome (showing under "new replies"), as Flyingkea proposed.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
I, too, enjoy and appreciate the +1s and PTFs. For me, they enhance the forum experience.

I would additionally enjoy an option to follow (and later unfollow) a thread via the click of a button that results in the same outcome (showing under "new replies"), as Flyingkea proposed.
Me too. I'd be keen on a moderator letting us know if such responses actually are contributing to slowing down the forum when compared to the impact of other issues that might be slowing it down? But then, I don't feel I've come across a significant number of posts that are "+1" without additional text.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I FIND PTF and +1 to be useful.
I think it would be an alienating action to ban them. Also a waste of time to enforce.

simonkkkkk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »

Also useful!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
PTF and +1 fan here. They're small and easy to skip over. Seems to be a mountain vs. molehill issue.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
+1ing and PTFing

(If that makes any sense)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
+1ing and PTFing

(If that makes any sense)

(Yes it totally does lol)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
The +1/PTF riff-raff is a symptom of the forum software. You can't expect your humans to behave without nudging them in the right direction, and no FAQ or stickied topic will fix that 100%.

So really you have 3 options:
- Subtly control your humans by carefully crafting your interaction mediums.
- Discipline your humans.
- Let the proverbial patients run the asylum, accepting the conventions that may arise.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
The +1/PTF riff-raff is a symptom of the forum software. You can't expect your humans to behave without nudging them in the right direction, and no FAQ or stickied topic will fix that 100%.

So really you have 3 options:
- Subtly control your humans by carefully crafting your interaction mediums.
- Discipline your humans.
- Let the proverbial patients run the asylum, accepting the conventions that may arise.

Well, the past six years has basically been option three, and the software has been ever increasingly buckling under the load.

Perhaps it's time for a little more one and two. It's why I posted what I did in the other thread. I tried a bit of the whole "first we must recognize that we suck before we can be great" approach, offered a solution, encouraged others to do something positive in their own usage of the forums for the community as a whole, and I got mocked, insulted, and abused for it. I expected it, and was not disappointed... except maybe for some of the names that were attached to the behavior. The irony of the situation given the community we're in...

There was some back and forth with Rebs on the subject, but the conversation petered out last week and I've not heard back since.

+1 is easily fixed with a plugin that won't thrash the database as hard with a like button (if such a thing exists for SMF).

PTF is also reasonably easily fixed if we can convince and persuade people to actually use Notify over "Show new replies". Of course, part of this problem is getting people to understand that they can, a) turn emails notifications off;  b) get them to the Notifications Page easier than it is currently; and c) that using "Show new replies" thrashes the database way more than "Notifications" does. It's not a pretty page, but it's a competently useful one.

By the way, all you PTF fans, especially you PTF fans that notice and are complaining about the load times of "Show new replies" at times on the forums here? I never really gave much of a toss either way with this until a couple weeks ago and I finally saw the light on the issue. I never used notify myself because I too used "Show new replies" almost exclusively or never spent the time investigating how it worked, though I personally always just refused to participate in a thread unless I really wanted to keep up with it. (Of course, that also created the unfortunate side-effect of still getting notices for years on threads long past their value and usefulness to me *cough-overhead-at-work-cough*... but that's an issue with not capping thread lengths, which too can thrash the database really, really hard, just like necroposting to years old topics can. There are even people who have pointed out that the Journals section is actively slowing down overall "Show new replies" loading, and that marking them read first speeds things up. Has nobody else made this connection yet? Plus, how does a new user even begin to access or find useful stuff when we have these insurmountable 2500, 5000 or 10,000 plus threads to read? Talk about your elitism, that's basically implying that nobody but the people who've been here since the beginning of "X" should be able to access the useful bits of the community.... but no, we prefer beating dead horses and gossip over a functional community platform and informational value and utility for all... but I digress.) I noticed the sluggishness of "Show new replies" getting worse and worse on loading, even when I'd only have a single page of unread posts and the replied threads showing up in the list with smilies on the icons, it'd still take considerably longer to load the "Show new replies" page.

Then I actually explored Notify after Macoconut shared what she did. Then I started using it in place of "Show new replies" to see what would happen, adding all the threads over the past month that I had participated in to the list as well as a few threads that I never post in and occasionally would recognize the name of and open up to read on occasion. And you know what? The Notifications Page is now my homepage for the forums. The very first page I visit. I've tried this several times now, and Notifications loads immediately, even when "Show new replies" is taking over a minute to load up. Repeatedly now during peak forum activity times, I have opened and caught up with *all* the threads on my Notify page and opened "Unread posts" before "Show new replies" could even load in another tab.

I can't go back. I won't go back. I recognize that by using "Show new replies" over "Notify", that I am actively negatively impacting the overall performance of the forums for everyone. That every thread I choose to continue to participate in that causes the database to bog down when it's accessed because of its age or its size, that I am negatively impacting the overall performance of the forums for everyone. In fact, I am voluntarily asking to lock and de-sticky the current Communications thread because of it and have a new one stickied in its place.

This is a community, and I am not so selfish as to want to deprive others of basic access to the useful information in a timely and simplified manner just because I'm a creature of habit and don't want to change how I use something. All you PTF lovers... when you actually see the alternatives, the evidence, recognize that the behavior is socially ingrained and not actually logical, try it for yourselves, and see the difference in server load that it causes... would you not say the same thing?

Or would you rather continue to mock and insult people who point out the absurdity of our behaviors as somehow being less than?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:33:18 AM by Daley »

simonkkkkk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »

Great idea!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 03:34:30 PM »
By the way, all you PTF fans, especially you PTF fans that notice and are complaining about the load times of "Show new replies" at times on the forums here?

IP, I'm a PTF fan and am not:
(i) seeing issues, or
(ii) seeing people I interact with on the forum report issues.

If the hundreds of people I interact with regularly were saying, "Oy, access has gone to crap!" I would care very much.
But it seems to me like there continues to be endless happy use. My peace comes from there.

So, would I want to resolve an issue? Yes.
Do I see load times as an issue? No.
Might I in future? Maybe!
Do I see other issues I'd far rather the volunteer time went into addressing? Oh my yes.

So, when we see no issue with +1/PTF, or even LOVE it (!), we're not saying anything negative about you (not sure what you ran into on the other thread; I'm not following it). We're just voicing a different experience and point of view.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
If the hundreds of people I interact with regularly were saying, "Oy, access has gone to crap!" I would care very much.
But it seems to me like there continues to be endless happy use. My peace comes from there.

Do you know how the global search function has been broken on this forum for years? That is a symptom of the problem.

Have you noticed how during certain times of the day, some threads and the "show new replies" page takes longer to load? Symptom of the problem... and load times at peak have been steadily increasing the past year and change. There's threads in this very subforum complaining about it off and on. There have personally been times where I've seen "Show new replies" take nearly three minutes to load.

Have you ever have a post that you were previewing get eaten and lost? Symptom of the problem.

Have you ever seen a database connection issue error page or NGINX error page? Symptom of the problem.

Every time Pete has to upgrade the forum server or call in a dedicated DBA admin? Symptom of the problem, and the man is not cheaping out on hosting this place. He's still using Digital Ocean on this end, but I can't say for certain how much he's spending without knowing the system specs. It is a dedicated VPS with dedicated IP address, however.

It's all interconnected, and the frequency of these secondary occurrences are happening more often, and I even noticed a further minor uptick in the frequency and time of database issues not long after the Meltdown patch rolled out in CentOS. I encountered no less than three database timeout errors this morning alone, one of which literally happened right after posting the message you replied to. These are server-end errors. Our current forum culture is not unlike collectively relieving ourselves upstream from our own water supply. Thread length, necroposting, spamming, not using the existing available functions properly... we don't want it, the mods don't know to do it, wash, rinse, repeat.

Using the Notify feature instead of using an onomatopoeia for a rude bodily noise to follow a thread is something we can do ourselves voluntarily to help decrease load. Self limiting our own threads and not letting them ramble on forever is something we can do voluntarily to help decrease load. Leaving things as-is is actually making their jobs harder. I don't want to point fingers, but once you understand how SMF and forum software works, the lion's share of processor requests to run the entire forum is being dictated by a very small percentage of the actual community, and it's the board with the highest post to thread count ratio here along with some of our longest, most popular, and most storied spleen venting threads. I love and respect the mods deeply, but the changes being proposed if executed properly should actually make their jobs easier long term, not harder.

Now...

Just my 2ç

Oooh +1 that's a great idea I would love that.  That would solve the whole problem.

Oh wait... I agree with this suggestion! I intentionally comment in threads just so they will show up in my 'show new replies to your posts' list, if I could hit a follow button to do the same thing that would be cool.

Me too. I'd be keen on a moderator letting us know if such responses actually are contributing to slowing down the forum when compared to the impact of other issues that might be slowing it down?

That magical feature that Flyingkea wants and everyone else agrees with wanting? The thing that all of you would love to have? The thing that's supposedly missing on this forum that everyone insists is why they need to use PTF to keep up with threads? That is literally the Notify function that Macoconut posted about at the beginning of this thread and that I'm talking about using now! You can access that magical page here on the Profile Notifications page. Use it, love it, set it as your forum bookmark.

Extra bonus points? You don't need a moderator to weigh in on whether it uses less database server resources to load, all you have to do is use it and compare page load times with your existing method. The fact that the Notifications page loads immediately during times when "Show new replies" can take upward of a hound's age to load? That's your proof that it uses less resources to track threads than posting PTF and using "Show new replies" to keep up with certain topics, and using it means you don't have to have your posts deleted to stop following a thread anymore.

Make sense? It's literally a win-win-win here. Easier to follow and stop following threads. Less posts that don't contribute to an actual conversational exchange. Lighter on server resources all around.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
It's really easy to write a short reply instead of "PTF" though, so the rule would be easy to circumvent.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
It's really easy to write a short reply instead of "PTF" though, so the rule would be easy to circumvent.

Yes, but a short reply is actually attempting to engage in conversation. That's a good thing! If you're going to post to a thread, engage in it! People who are only posting PTF? They're doing it to follow a thread, not contribute to it. Using PTF to follow a thread using "Show new replies" instead of just using Notify is actively using far more server resources than necessary, and only complicates moderation further... especially if someone wants to stop following a thread and asks for their posts to be deleted, or erodes the conversation by deleting their own posts if they had participated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:16:52 PM by Daley »

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
hat magical feature that Flyingkea wants and everyone else agrees with wanting? The thing that all of you would love to have? The thing that's supposedly missing on this forum that everyone insists is why they need to use PTF to keep up with threads? That is literally the Notify function that Macoconut posted about at the beginning of this thread and that I'm talking about using now! You can access that magical page here on the Profile Notifications page. Use it, love it, set it as your forum bookmark.
I'm not disputing that it may be faster - but is not that accessible. people need to know about it to use it, and if it is buried in a menu somewhere, then not nearly as people are not going to use it. It's human nature. My suggestion really is to move said notification page.
It also doesn't seem to be able to filter whether you get emails or not. I have used it to set up recieving an email for some threads. But I don't want to recieve emails for every post that I want to follow.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
I don't mind the PTFs. PTF is way better than having to sign up for email notifications.

But I would like to be able to UN-follow a thread once I've posted in it.

Sometimes threads get repetitive, off-topic, or difficult to deal with for one reason or another. But they clutter up the "new replies" view, sometimes for months and months or even years.  Right now the only way to escape that is to go back and delete old posts, which isn't ideal.

I sometimes hesitate to participate in certain threads, knowing they will follow me forever if I do.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
Do you know how the global search function has been broken on this forum for years?

That I've been acutely aware of, yes.

Have you noticed how during certain times of the day, some threads and the "show new replies" page takes longer to load?

No, I haven't had that experience yet, nor stumbled across others posting about it. (I believe you, though!)

Have you ever have a post that you were previewing get eaten and lost? Symptom of the problem.

Not yet, thankfully.

Have you ever seen a database connection issue error page or NGINX error page? Symptom of the problem.

Yes. That's been my experience my several years on the forum, but not frequently enough to feel like an issue. I just go do something else for a while and come back later.

the lion's share of processor requests to run the entire forum is being dictated by a very small percentage of the actual community, and it's the board with the highest post to thread count ratio here along with some of our longest, most popular, and most storied spleen venting threads.

Would there be a way to continue having those threads that some of us love so much? Those popular, ongoing, community spaces full of play and joy and connection, with storied spleen venting? (These are what many of us are here for. We come to learn how to money; we stay because the friendships are real and fun.)

That magical feature that Flyingkea wants and everyone else agrees with wanting? The thing that all of you would love to have? The thing that's supposedly missing on this forum that everyone insists is why they need to use PTF to keep up with threads? That is literally the Notify function that Macoconut posted about at the beginning of this thread and that I'm talking about using now!

It's not precisely what we're describing.

...compare page load times with your existing method.

If it loaded immediately, it would be the exact same speed as I've experienced all along currently.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »
Yes, but a short reply is actually attempting to engage in conversation. That's a good thing! If you're going to post to a thread, engage in it! People who are only posting PTF? They're doing it to follow a thread, not contribute to it.

This sounds like two different issues.

Does the forum require more people engaging in conversation vs reading? I don't think so.
Is it acceptable to just read a thread? Sure!
So if the only issue is the draw on the technology, let's resolve just that.

Personally, I'd rather read "PTF" than extraneous words someone came up with just to avoid police activity. The PTF my eye can skip over -while my heart swells with joy that content is being considered- while the extraneous words I'd feel compelled to read, in case of gems. In the latter case, there's an unnecessary draw on my personal resources.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 11:58:05 PM »
I'm not disputing that it may be faster - but is not that accessible. people need to know about it to use it, and if it is buried in a menu somewhere, then not nearly as people are not going to use it. It's human nature. My suggestion really is to move said notification page.

I do not disagree with that.

It also doesn't seem to be able to filter whether you get emails or not. I have used it to set up recieving an email for some threads. But I don't want to recieve emails for every post that I want to follow.

Sorry, but it's all or nothing. You can disable email notifications with notify entirely, or you can be notified by mail of all of them at some varying frequency. Its just a forum, though. Something something it's already amazing even despite its deficiencies, something something first world problems, something something hedonic adaptation, be happy with what you got... gosh this sounds familiar.

Can you dig it?

Yes. That's been my experience my several years on the forum, but not frequently enough to feel like an issue. I just go do something else for a while and come back later.

This is actually a pretty serious failure point. Don't be so dismissive of it.

Would there be a way to continue having those threads that some of us love so much? Those popular, ongoing, community spaces full of play and joy and connection, with storied spleen venting? (These are what many of us are here for. We come to learn how to money; we stay because the friendships are real and fun.)

Yes, but it means being willing to deal with shorter thread lengths and auto-locking topics after X posts in an ideal situation. The thing is Forum Software =/= Blog Software. Right tool for the job, etc. That said, there's nothing preventing anyone from just starting a new thread and linking to the old one after a lock. The key is accepting thread limitations that are going to be considerably lower than what most are currently used to. With that will likely come a greater respect for usage in postcount.

It's not precisely what we're describing.

It's about as close as you're ever going to get under SMF. The only real improvement would be a direct top level link. This was one of the things I specifically proposed adding.

If it loaded immediately, it would be the exact same speed as I've experienced all along currently.

But it doesn't. Certain times of the day, Show new replies slows down significantly, especially if you've been gone for a little while.

Yes, but a short reply is actually attempting to engage in conversation. That's a good thing! If you're going to post to a thread, engage in it! People who are only posting PTF? They're doing it to follow a thread, not contribute to it.

This sounds like two different issues.

They're more related than you realize, and I think you might be seeing that now when factored into the bigger picture with needing to split/lock long threads and adding thread caps as well.

It's not about policing. If people are going to be stupid and try to work around a "PTF" filter that is basically designed to only replace the phrase "PTF" in messages with "To follow a thread without actively contributing or posting content to it, please utilize the Notify function as detailed here. It's way better. Do not be surprised if this post gets deleted without notice sometime in the future." or some such over just clicking an infernal button? Let them waste their time and words. The key is to make the best path the one of least resistance. People like you, desiring of real content and not having your time wasted because people would rather waste time typing something useless just to follow a thread instead of use Notify just to get past a PTF wordfilter, irritated by their actual disrespect toward the thread and its posters will help break their habit. Nobody wants to irritate you, Joon. Use that to your advantage. :)

All this handwringing about extra moderator work over enforcing the discouragement of PTF/follow over using Notify is silly. An automated word filter and a couple months of just mass deleting posts on people who got caught in the word filter every couple weeks to further encourage them to use Notify over "Show new replies" to follow threads would probably be more than enough.

I don't mind the PTFs. PTF is way better than having to sign up for email notifications.

But I would like to be able to UN-follow a thread once I've posted in it.

Sometimes threads get repetitive, off-topic, or difficult to deal with for one reason or another. But they clutter up the "new replies" view, sometimes for months and months or even years.  Right now the only way to escape that is to go back and delete old posts, which isn't ideal.

I sometimes hesitate to participate in certain threads, knowing they will follow me forever if I do.

Notify is your answer! Emails are optional!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:03:36 AM by Daley »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 03:19:25 AM »
Daley, I really appreciate the education! You’ve taught me a lot about how forums work and why things happen certain ways on other forums I frequent (such as locked older threads or topics closed and “part 2” opened).

The one aspect I would like to see addressed before I fully convert to the notify option instead of PTF: how to give the creator of a thread a quick ego boost and let them know I’m following their topic even though I don’t have anything useful to add and would prefer to just lurk and learn/appreciate?

For people that don’t hate PTF or +1, these additions to a thread can feel good (ask me how I know haha).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 03:20:17 AM »
It might also be worth talking about the “subscribe” option on Tapatalk. All I use is Tapatalk.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:21 AM »
Hi Daley

I will make it a project this week to try to learn this notify magic without emails.

I really appreciate this thread explaining g ways that we can make the forum better without making it heavily policed. And I see no problem whatsoever with choosing a sensible number of pages and capping posts. My idea of sensible could be larger than yours - or it could be that journals get 150, and the greater forum gets 50 and aska and wall of shame get 25.  But I think reasonable caps can be sorted.

My response on the other thread, was because all I saw was anger at what seemed like a benign issue. But if you can teach us to use the forum better, I think we will try.

I am a little worried about making it a rule - facepunch culture makes the forum hard for newbies to join some discussions. It took me courage to keep coming, asking, and learning. If I'd also had mods telling me I didn't know how to forum, not only would I not be here with the cool people.... But my finances might be a lot worse

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 04:54:42 AM »
Sorry, but it's all or nothing. You can disable email notifications with notify entirely, or you can be notified by mail of all of them at some varying frequency. Its just a forum, though. Something something it's already amazing even despite its deficiencies, something something first world problems, something something hedonic adaptation, be happy with what you got... gosh this sounds familiar.

Dude, I'm already really happy with, fine with the forums as they are. In other words, I am happy with what I got. I like the "show new replies" as it is.
I'm see a handful of other people coming on here, making suggestions and trying to change things etc. My suggestion was one to try to keep both sides of the issue happy - the maximisers of efficiency get more people using the notifications, the average forumite gets an easy to use button that does not involve a rabbit hole. In the other thread I saw people not wanting to use it because they didn't want to get spammed.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 05:27:22 AM »
Sorry, but it's all or nothing.

Here you were replying to Flyingkea's, but my thought is: If it's all or nothing, I'd prefer the current system. (But this is because I experience no issues with it.)

Its just a forum, though. Something something it's already amazing even despite its deficiencies, something something first world problems, something something hedonic adaptation, be happy with what you got...

Exactly. These are why I'm not concerned with the sole "issue" that arises very occasionally in my experience (data connection whatzit message).

This is actually a pretty serious failure point. Don't be so dismissive of it.

Your words above re: first world problems align for me here. It's not big deal to wash my floors or pick up a paper book for an hour instead.

...shorter thread lengths and auto-locking topics after X posts in an ideal situation. [...] With that will likely come a greater respect for usage in postcount.

I would be loathe to see the effect of a "greater respect for usage in postcount." People would stop with those hilarious witticims that make me laugh big and loud several times every day. Some people are providing much more content and impact with three words in a post than 500.

Personally, I do wish everyone would choose to end their threads at some point, start another if desired. But that's just for my dream land, obsessed with decluttering and moving on as I am -and to be able to stop following, as our current system doesn't support- not because it's important.

Certain times of the day, Show new replies slows down significantly, especially if you've been gone for a little while.

In my case, it loads instantaneously.

Nobody wants to irritate you, Joon.

Plenty of people do, it's just not a big deal. My job is to train myself to relax if they do, not force them to function differently.

You're bothered by several issues you're experiencing with the software, and by +1 and PTF. The effort to change these would be lighter if everyone experienced the same issue. Unfortunately, lots of people are loving both of these. Where this is the case, such that people are unlikely to adopt a new system, what do you propose?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:30:08 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM »
To be clear..... I must have missed the all or nothing.

In that case, when we optimize the forum, let's just all start a group chat on WhatsApp. I like the chaos

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I like, and use, PTF. Notify doesn't work. Show new replies does work.

I also agree with the earlier comments that a PTF or +1 response shows the responded to poster that someone agrees, or has the same experience, or is interested in the same thing, etc.

This is a whole lot of hot air about an issue that isn't an issue.  Forum search sucks because forum searches always suck, not because of PTF.  Use Google to search, it works.

The forum can certainly go down the path of heavy handed moderation, telling users how they can and cannot reply on a thread. That sounds like lots of fun.  "You spoke the wrong words. Ban hammer!"

And finally, on the complaints that PTF is spam. Spam is advertising, not posts you don't want to read. One of the most vocal anti - PTF proponents, who says PTF is spam, has links in their forum sig directing people to his own website. Ironic, dontchathink?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
Notify doesn't work.
Actually, it does - or can, given some time. 

Count me as someone who was dubious, but has tried it and is seeing a benefit.

In short, instead of using https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/unreadreplies/ in a shortcut, try https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?area=notification, perhaps with the following settings:

At first it may seem useless - nothing appears.  But as one replies in various threads, they do appear in the "Notify" list and will have the orange "new" button when applicable. 

If one wants to follow a thread without replying, click "NOTIFY" at the top or bottom of the thread page:

And if one wants to stop following a thread, click "UNNOTIFY" at the top or bottom of the thread page:

If this will help forum responsiveness, why not do it?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:52:51 PM by MDM »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »
That's a really nice presentation, MDM. Thank you! :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 04:06:36 PM »
TIL! I'm going to try out the notify feature again. And I also know now why SailorSam said he was breaking the forum.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
For people that don’t hate PTF or +1, these additions to a thread can feel good (ask me how I know haha).

You're bothered by several issues you're experiencing with the software, and by +1 and PTF. The effort to change these would be lighter if everyone experienced the same issue. Unfortunately, lots of people are loving both of these. Where this is the case, such that people are unlikely to adopt a new system, what do you propose?

I'd like to set the record straight here. I don't "hate" PTF and +1. Please do not ascribe an emotion to me that I do not hold on the matter. My only interest is keeping the forums available for all for as long as possible, and simply see how this behavior is contributing against that goal. The fact that the part of the solution that we as users can do is in line with MMM's overall message, especially in light of not seeing any massive changes in forum maintenance (and no, throwing more RAM at the issue isn't going to resolve the underlying problems, only postpone them further), is gravy. Again, I'm not hating or anti anything, I'm just pro keeping things operational. Nothing more, nothing less.

For those who think the solutions are off-putting because they don't like change or whathaveyou, well... you can please all the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time. I'm just laying out the unintended consequences of the current forum configuration and our posting culture.

I've documented why I've suggested and said the things I have, and like to think I've made a fairly solid case for why. I'm just trying to keep crushed red solo cups off the ground, trash out of the pool, and trying to keep beer from soaking into the carpet. You can do my suggestions or don't. If you don't, just remember that rowdy behavior like cramming 20 people into an 8 person hot tub will kill the party sooner than later, and may drive off some pretty awesome people in the process from ever staying long enough to join in.

In that case, when we optimize the forum, let's just all start a group chat on WhatsApp. I like the chaos

What's stopping you from doing that now? Best tools for the job, etc. I've always wondered why nobody wanted to set up an IRC server or anything.

This is a whole lot of hot air about an issue that isn't an issue.  Forum search sucks because forum searches always suck, not because of PTF.  Use Google to search, it works.

Two things: 1) Larger SMF forums run by communities who have demonstrated that they actually know how to configure and maintain forums on shared hosting have operational search tools, so just because "most" forums are set up by people who never read the forum software documentation to keep the software usable doesn't mean the software sucks... it means the maintainers need to be shown a better way to do things. 2) Google Search can't catalog every board here.

And finally, on the complaints that PTF is spam. Spam is advertising, not posts you don't want to read.

*ahem*
The PTF/+1 thing, while not a bannable offense, does clutter up a thread.  (It's not like posting "FIRST!" which gets you tossed into a lake of molten lava).

Forum spam historically has a far broader definition than just advertising.

One of the most vocal anti - PTF proponents, who says PTF is spam, has links in their forum sig directing people to his own website.

Please don't sublimate your values and intentions on me, and perhaps research a little before you go and cast stones. You think you're shaming me, but I'm not the one who should be embarrassed by your statement.

I started that blog long before you came around here, because the early forum members kept begging me to spin it off into a discrete website that they could link others to. I was convinced both by others and through first-hand experience that it would be wise to do so after the first year of just keeping the information in a single, ever-expanding thread with the core content at the beginning, as new people were having ever harder times digging through for all the useful bits. Forum software wasn't the right medium or platform to present the entire wad of information, so I optimized, kept the heart on the forums, and extrapolated the bigger picture stuff on a server I paid for out of my own pockets. Right tool for the job, and all that jazz. I host the information for the benefit of others, not for my own gain.

Technical Meshugana has no advertisements, no paid posts, no free hardware reviews, no affiliate links to the providers I recommend (there or here), only a donate button now (which I might as well take down), a defunct Amazon Astore link, plus a half-dozen optional Amazon associate links early on that I never updated or fixed because they barely got used. I've spent more on hosting the resource for the community than I've ever gotten in return... and what little I got, was optional from the reader and was used for hosting costs. I didn't force any monetization off of my readership. In fact, the biggest push for money I ever made off of the guide was calling the community to action to donate the savings I helped them with on their bills to go to disaster relief organizations after the May 2013 tornadoes here in Oklahoma.

So, if you're so deeply offended that I link the blog in my sigline and desire all traces of links to it be removed from the forums? I'll be happy to remove it on your request (barring objections from others), but the guide would have to go with it. To have one without the other would be a disservice to the community, and would only make the information harder to access. If you do ask again, be forewarned that I will be sure to namecheck you specifically for taking the resource down.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:40:49 PM by Daley »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »
I'd like to set the record straight here. I don't "hate" PTF and +1. Please do not ascribe an emotion to me that I do not hold on the matter.

Got it :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
I'd like to set the record straight here. I don't "hate" PTF and +1. Please do not ascribe an emotion to me that I do not hold on the matter.

+1

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 08:20:41 AM »

+1

I see what you did there ;)

I tried MDM's suggestion, but still got a LOT of emails. Not sure I did it correctly.  How does one go directly to their list of notifications? Via the profile page?

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »

+1

I see what you did there ;)

I tried MDM's suggestion, but still got a LOT of emails. Not sure I did it correctly.  How does one go directly to their list of notifications? Via the profile page?

Save this as a favorite: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?area=notification

It’s the notifications page. Uncheck all the checkboxes and elect to receive a weekly digest, so choose Weekly in the first drop down.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »

The most important settings/states on the Notifications page Macoconut linked to disable emails (combined with what I've come to understand) are listed below in bold:

☐ Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email. This checkbox is less important since the mod staff has never sent out community notifications.
☑ Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. This checkbox is vital to have selected to also use Notify as a "Show new replies" replacement, not just a PTF replacement.
☐ When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.) This checkbox applies specifically to including people's replies to a thread in emailed notifications.

For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me: [Instantly ▼] This dropdown setting apparently is important, and must be set to "Instantly" to never get email. Go figure.
For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of: [Nothing at all ▼] This dropdown setting is one of the most important ones for disabling email.

Make sure all the bold options are set as illustrated: unchecked, checked, unchecked, instantly, nothing at all. That should eliminate any and all possible notify emails (for better or worse), then it doesn't matter what the frequency dropdown is set to. Mine is currently set to "Instantly", and I've only ever gotten one digest email, and it was because I had the bottom dropdown set to "Replies and moderation", the frequency set to "Weekly", and the top option selected - it came on a Monday at 1800hrs. I may actually turn back on a weekly digest as it's actually quite interesting, but I wanted to ensure it was possible to disable all email notifications before blowing hard on this point. When I was further exploring the settings, I switched back to instantly first to make sure I found the proper switches to nip the emails in the bud.

I don't arrive at my positions lightly, and I do research things out, as I've always had. It's very possible to use Notify without getting any email once you get the settings right, and honestly, the emails you can get with Notify are actually even more useful than the PM emails you can receive... but I understand that's not for everyone, as using email is becoming a source of panic for some who can't manage their inboxes and using it has become a bit of a dying art. As such, it's important to provide a solution that doesn't cause further anxiety. The issues I brought up were anxiety inducing enough for others because people don't like being told "you're doing it wrong" no matter how much you try to sugarcoat it, so I just leaned into the problem and rolled with the insults and punches. I did want to ensure that it was possible, first, and not just trust the SMF documentation and Macoconut. There was a little bit of muddying on the settings initially quoted, but the fact remained that it was possible to use Notify without receiving any emails.

It's doable, G-dog. :)

EDIT: Changed the importance of a setting that apparently actually disables the email system. I'd thought the frequency was irrelevant during testing, but had switched it to "Instantly" to get updates to ensure settings were actually disabled. Apparently, that was one of the key settings to disabling it. D'oh! *sigh* Oh, SMF.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:35:03 AM by Daley »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
THanks for the help Daley and Macoconut.  Changes implemented. Beta test in progress.

Old G-Dog working on learning new tricks ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!