Author Topic: Search not working  (Read 2512 times)

missundecided

• Bristles
Search not working
« on: April 10, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
When I try the Google version of the forum search, and I click the Google result, I don't get the thread. Instead, I get the thread's subforum instead. When I try using the forum search as a back-up to Google, I can't even get to the search page at all--instead the forum's main page gets loaded.

missundecided

• Bristles
Re: Search not working
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
Addendum: Even when I have the thread's specific URL from the Google search and copy/paste into my browser, it doesn't go to the requested thread either. Just the subforum.

clackapedia

• Administrator
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »
My apologies for the funny activity on the forum over the last few hours.  There was a glitch with the "pretty url" package on the forum I caused that was the origin of the links going back to the home page. Attempting to fix one issue, I created a much larger one...

The problem was, with the links not working.... I couldn't fix the issues anymore, then I had to hop back into my day job and couldn't give the forum my full attention.

I had to dig in the forum's sql database to flip the switches manually, but I have triumphed! 

Everything should function normally now, though you may have to clear your browser's cache. 

If people are interested, i'd be happy to dig in deeper with the technical issues in the future.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »
clackapedia

If I understand OP's problem correctly, it is an issue, though it should eventually go away. This issue is two-fold:
  • The Pretty URL update re-created thread URLs based on their current title, not their original title (i.e. the old URL no longer works)
  • Google indexed the old URLs, so search results often don't work - they just take you to a sub-forum instead.
Eventually, Google's index will be updated to match the newer URLs, but until then, a lot of links from search will not work.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!