Author Topic: Question about retiring early with a 401k?  (Read 4410 times)

karanasios06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question about retiring early with a 401k?
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
I've been reading this site off and on for several months, and realize that perhaps retiring early is a reality for me.  The problem is that nearly all of my money (or our money, as I'm including my wife as well) is tied up in tax-deferred IRA's and 401k's so I'd take a severe tax hit if I withdraw any money prior to reaching 59.5, and I'm currently 30.  Did MMM save outside of his 401k/IRA, enough to retire on, or did he take a lump sum from his tax-deferred accounts and take a tax hit? Or does he take only a little each month from his 401k/IRA? Or other?
I've searched the blog and re-read the first 10 or so articles "Getting Started" and I can't find out for sure.  I thought I remember reading an article a few months ago about him retiring from software programming and cashing out his 401k, but I can't seem to find it again. 
Thanks in advance!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: Question about retiring early with a 401k?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
There are ways.

Rule 72(t) - aka - SEPP (Substantially Equal Periodic Payments).
Roth Pipeline

Read this: http://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/12/05/stocks-part-xx-early-retirement-withdrawal-strategies-and-roth-conversion-ladders-from-a-mad-fientist/

MMM did have other savings as well I think, but you don't have to do what he did, you can make your own path.

This is sort of the "general" consensus around here:

1) Save a bunch.
2) First put it in tax deferred accounts (you already did this).
3) Second consider a Roth IRA instead of Traditional.
4) Put anything extra into a taxable brokerage account or into paying off debt.

Read that link above, then come back with more questions if you have any.

karanasios06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Cheddar.  I just now realized that I posted this in the wrong forum...such a neophyte.

DarioEM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »
You can do a self-directed IRA and rollover or transfer your funds tax free. There are usually some fees to pay but depending where you move your funds to it will more than pay for the yearly IRA custodian fees. It's surprising, I've heard less than 2% of investors take advantage or are even aware of this strategy.

Lucas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
You can do a self-directed IRA and rollover or transfer your funds tax free. There are usually some fees to pay but depending where you move your funds to it will more than pay for the yearly IRA custodian fees. It's surprising, I've heard less than 2% of investors take advantage or are even aware of this strategy.

I don't think this helps you access money in the tax deferred account, just gives you more freedom on investments (like investing in rental properties ,etc. ) but the returns would still be held within the IRA.  The 72T or Roth conversion pipeline are the best methods i have seen for accessing money early with no penalty.