Author Topic: Notify me of replies not working  (Read 602 times)

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
Notify me of replies not working
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
I started a new thread last night which received several replies, and my journal thread received a reply, but I did not receive email notifications on either. I have the box checked on both. This also applies to private messages. I usually get an email notification on those too. There isn't anything in my spam folder.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:58:19 PM by Travis »

msilenus

• Bristles
Re: Notify me of replies not working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I think I'm seeing the same thing.  I reported it a while back here:
      https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-e-mails-(and-password-resets)-not-working-migration/?action=post;last_msg=1461936

Do you use Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com, by any chance?

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
Hotmail for this account.

msilenus

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:59:30 PM »
My pet theory is that the Outlook.com guys are blacklisting the new forum hosting service.  (Hence the guess.)  If that's right, then everyone at Outlook.com just doesn't get e-mail from the MMM forum.  That would break notifications and any features that require email confirmation like password resets, forum registration, et c.

Being on a blacklist would suggest that the hosting service has clients that are misbehaving in some way (probably spam, possibly due to being compromised.)  That's a tough nut to crack, because it'd be out of the forum admins' hands (unless they could point outbound mail elsewhere?), and puts the hosting service in a tough spot w.r.t. their other (paying) clients.

Caveat: This could all be wrong.  I haven't worked in e-mail services for, like, 10 years.

P.S. The outbound mail logs might have some hints as to why Outlook.com hates us, but MSFT apparently isn't very responsive about this stuff:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-to-get-removed-from-outlook-blacklist/d96cd2c4-8b6f-4027-846a-1c26a1bfdab7