Author Topic: Suddenly emails for notification threads  (Read 3658 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Suddenly emails for notification threads
« on: September 05, 2021, 06:07:28 AM »
Since two days, I receive an email each time when one of the threads I have notification on, gets a new post. This is not a change in settings I have done deliberately. Has the forum been changed and introduced this feature? Or did I unconsciously do this myself. In that case, how do I turn it off?
I want notifications to be on, but I don't want to receive any emails about them.

Edit: The email says I only will receive one email per topic, so maybe the emails will disappear in short time again.   This suggests that it might be a forum change, as these topics were topics I visited for a long time without getting an email, and with notifications on.

Edit: I just received another email about a topic that I visited earlier today. So visiting a topic does not remove the email notification.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:18:28 AM by Linea_Norway »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Suddenly emails for notification threads
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
Not sure. This doesn’t happen to me. I get a weekly digest email from the forums that I haven’t figured out how to stop, but since it is only one a week I just delete it:

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
Not sure. This doesn’t happen to me. I get a weekly digest email from the forums that I haven’t figured out how to stop, but since it is only one a week I just delete it:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?area=notification

You can change it there :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 02:01:24 PM »

This is the notification link that I use all the time to read to forum. I wish to keep these notifications that I can turn on and off for subjects. But where do these email notifications suddenly come from?

I have the first box unchecked (the one that says receive forum newsletters, blabla and important notifications by email).
The second box is checked and has been so for a long time.
The third option is unchecked.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »

Thanks. The problem is I can only choose “weekly” or more frequent notifications. There is no “never” as an option

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 02:10:00 PM »

This is the notification link that I use all the time to read to forum. I wish to keep these notifications that I can turn on and off for subjects. But where do these email notifications suddenly come from?

I have the first box unchecked (the one that says receive forum newsletters, blabla and important notifications by email).
The second box is checked and has been so for a long time.
The third option is unchecked.

I also use notifications, so I don't have to post to follow.

I have all boxes unchecked, so all I get is the weekly email.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 04:09:13 AM »
My best theory so far is that I by accident must have hit the save button on the profile notifications page. Maybe this generated new emails again for existing threads. And by investigating it, I have hit the button deliberately several times more. Maybe it will stop when I leave the button untouched. I will test that out.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 06:05:36 AM »
The same thing is happening to me. I think something must have changed two days ago for those of us who didn't as to get any emails. I've changed it to weekly, but I'm still getting emails EVERY SINGLE TIME someone changes a thread that I have notification for.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 12:03:19 AM »
The same thing is happening to me. I think something must have changed two days ago for those of us who didn't as to get any emails. I've changed it to weekly, but I'm still getting emails EVERY SINGLE TIME someone changes a thread that I have notification for.

Indeed. I used to get no emails at all and now I am getting so spammed that I am considering to turn of notifications at all. I have also now turn it too weekly, after being spammed once for often. But I find weekly also too much spam.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
The following settings were suggested in one of these threads years ago and they have worked very well to date:
- For topics and boards, notify 'instantly'
- For topics and boards, notify me of 'nothing at all'

I get the notifications only if I am logged in and looking at the notifications page.

Hope this helps

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »
Did anyone ever find a fix to the emails? I use the same settings as posted but still receiving email for every thread and don't want it. If I turn off the 2nd box of notifications, can I still see updates via https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/unreadreplies/ ?
Do I really have to add mmm@MrMoneyMustache.com to my email's spam list? Seems much less efficient than just turning them off from the source.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »
I think it stopped soon after it had started.