Author Topic: New: 100+ Posts to Post in "Off Topic" Boards  (Read 22639 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: New: 100+ Posts to Post in "Off Topic" Boards
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »
So the trick appears to be to spam the General section to get your 100 posts in...

Only if your goal is to post in political threads and not contribute towards the main purpose of this forum in any manner...
@Travis is a respected old-timer. I think that was a joke.

Sorry, I worded that poorly.  I know Travis is a respected old-timer. 
I should not have used the colloquial term "you", as I didn't actually mean Travis, but some newcomer who just wants to post controversial stuff in OT threads without contributing one iota to the forums.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
So the trick appears to be to spam the General section to get your 100 posts in...

Only if your goal is to post in political threads and not contribute towards the main purpose of this forum in any manner...

I should not have used the colloquial term "you", as I didn't actually mean Travis, but some newcomer who just wants to post controversial stuff in OT threads without contributing one iota to the forums.
Well "you're" both right. Anyway... I think it's a good rule and I appreciate the mods for establishing it.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2020, 01:01:28 AM »

Well "you're" both right. Anyway... I think it's a good rule and I appreciate the mods for establishing it.

I was referring to the chinese spammer yesterday who dumped a hundred individual new threads on the General forum, then went into the off-topic section and did the same thing. It was only up for a couple hours so you might have missed it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:06 AM »

I was referring to the chinese spammer yesterday who dumped a hundred individual new threads on the General forum, then went into the off-topic section and did the same thing. It was only up for a couple hours so you might have missed it.
I report them every time I see them, but I completely missed that one. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen it for a while and hoping the mods had finally killed that particular dragon.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »

I report them every time I see them, but I completely missed that one. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen it for a while and hoping the mods had finally killed that particular dragon.

Can't keep a virus suppressed forever.

(Too soon?)

:P

MOD NOTE: Nope. Racist jokes not okay.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:49:05 PM by arebelspy »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 01:27:23 AM »
Apologies mods. Probably shouldn’t have bolded “chinese”.

I was trying to equate spammers to a virus, in the context of the last two of those quotes. Nothing more intended.

Sorry again

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2023, 10:25:39 PM »
DHMO
"I tend to lurk unless I really feel like adding my comments is important. With that said, the majority of my posts so far have been in political discussions in the off-topic section. Does this 100 post requirement mean that I should start commenting here on the forums the same way I might in a casual conversation, since 100 high-quality posts is unlikely from a lurker like me?"

I'm the same way. There are many Mustachian threads silly-placed in the Off-Topic forum that aren't political, like the one I want to contribute to right now about Electric Cars. Why should I be prevented from that, that thread should be in a mainstream forum. I guess I have to get chatty and spew unhelpful dribble for awhile (100 is awfully high, I don't even have that many on TMC or Endless-Sphere, and I've been on both for over 8 years and read thousands of threads.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2023, 04:15:56 AM »
DHMO
"I tend to lurk unless I really feel like adding my comments is important. With that said, the majority of my posts so far have been in political discussions in the off-topic section. Does this 100 post requirement mean that I should start commenting here on the forums the same way I might in a casual conversation, since 100 high-quality posts is unlikely from a lurker like me?"

I'm the same way. There are many Mustachian threads silly-placed in the Off-Topic forum that aren't political, like the one I want to contribute to right now about Electric Cars. Why should I be prevented from that, that thread should be in a mainstream forum. I guess I have to get chatty and spew unhelpful dribble for awhile (100 is awfully high, I don't even have that many on TMC or Endless-Sphere, and I've been on both for over 8 years and read thousands of threads.)

Three years and three months after the last comment - you decided to necropost this thread?!

Don’t “spew unhelpful dribble” - contribute, or don’t and continue to lurk. If you aren’t posting then the only person who gets anything out of you being here is you.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2023, 06:25:46 AM »
This thread is about a policy that's still being actively enforced today. It's not a necro-policy, so it's not a necro-post either. Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this policy? Nope, this is indeed the correct place to discuss it.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2023, 06:26:47 AM »
Look at a member such as Dicey with over 20,000 posts. Does every single one contain life-changing information, or is some of it just a chatty "Hey, how are you?"

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2023, 06:28:46 AM »
If you aren’t posting then the only person who gets anything out of you being here is you.

Nothing wrong with that, we're here to educate and influence people on a better way of life. If they choose to create an account and further the discussion, even better, but either way our contributions aren't going to waste.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2023, 07:01:24 AM »
...There are many Mustachian threads silly-placed in the Off-Topic forum that aren't political, like the one I want to contribute to right now about Electric Cars. Why should I be prevented from that, that thread should be in a mainstream forum. I guess I have to get chatty and spew unhelpful dribble for awhile (100 is awfully high, I don't even have that many on TMC or Endless-Sphere, and I've been on both for over 8 years and read thousands of threads.)

I think the best solution is to send a message to the moderators and ask for the electric car discussion to be moved to an on-topic section.  Please stop posting more useless messages to get yourself to the 100 mark.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2023, 07:07:47 AM »
Please stop posting more useless messages to get yourself to the 100 mark.

Actually, if you read the previous page of this thread, the moderator himself encouraged this tactic. But thank you for your opinion

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2023, 07:12:59 AM »
Please stop posting more useless messages to get yourself to the 100 mark.

Actually, if you read the previous page of this thread, the moderator himself encouraged this tactic. But thank you for your opinion

I don't think spamming was encouraged, but posts that contribute to the on-topic discussion.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2023, 07:18:29 AM »
@efree and @DHMO: You can always follow the celebrations threads and congratulate people that are achieving their goals. I love the "Race to 10k" thread and the Cohorts. Your words would be the opposite of meaningless. A little kindness goes a long way.

If that doesn't float your boat, there are threads about what you didn't buy today, or what are you lusting after or what you're making for dinner. There's a place to brag about your high-mileage vehicle, places to gently mock coworkers/neighbors/relatives who just don't "get it" or even one about unethical ways to save money, which is mostly tongue in cheek. There is a thread dedicated to epic FU Money stories and another to Inheritance Drama.

These suggestions are excellent, Dicey, thank you. I'm going to put them into practice now. All though I'm not sure what you mean by "panel discussions".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2023, 09:38:50 AM »
@efree and @DHMO: You can always follow the celebrations threads and congratulate people that are achieving their goals. I love the "Race to 10k" thread and the Cohorts. Your words would be the opposite of meaningless. A little kindness goes a long way.

If that doesn't float your boat, there are threads about what you didn't buy today, or what are you lusting after or what you're making for dinner. There's a place to brag about your high-mileage vehicle, places to gently mock coworkers/neighbors/relatives who just don't "get it" or even one about unethical ways to save money, which is mostly tongue in cheek. There is a thread dedicated to epic FU Money stories and another to Inheritance Drama.

These suggestions are excellent, Dicey, thank you. I'm going to put them into practice now. All though I'm not sure what you mean by "panel discussions".

I didn't either until i re-read the original conversation, as quoted below. Quoting can be tricky, but you can easily get the hang of it in less than 100 comments. That's not why the rule was created, but it is a nice spillover benefit. Welcome!

What's preventing you from contributing to conversations on the main forum?

There's no stop from the forum itself, it is mostly personal reasons. A forum thread is kind of like a conversation happening on a stage, and most of the time I feel like a simple "I agree with that" or "That surprises me" would be inappropriate. The closest parallel I can think of is an audience member inserting themselves into a panel discussion. If there's something really good to contribute, the interruption is welcome. I don't usually have something high-quality enough to warrant that.

I feel the same. I've been registered for a while but I don't have much to contribute, partly because I don't live in the US. I did want to contribute to a thread about foreign languages in the off-topic section and was perplexed that I was not allowed to. I don't like making meaningless posts so I suspect it's going to take me a while to get to 100.

These are conversations in which we endeavor to help each other. They are not panel discussions. I politely call BS on the "I have nothing to contribute" excuse. Put a little effort into it and the results will surprise you.