Author Topic: New "who quoted me" link  (Read 10620 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
New "who quoted me" link
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
So, I think the Who Quoted Me link is new? It seem like a cool thing, but is it slowly coming online? First time I clicked on it, I got no results, and now I'm only getting results from 2013 and Jan. 2014.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: New "who quoted me" link
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
I looked this morning and it was only showing posts from 2012. Now it's up to 2014.

It's probably in the process of building the index in the background and will catch up to recent posts eventually...

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
The problem with that button is that nobody is quoting me. What is wrong with you people? I'm hilarious.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
It's showing me one from this morning that I would've missed otherwise, sweet.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 05:10:20 PM »
Oooh shiny new feature! I like this better than the new replies one to your posts one.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »
The problem with that button is that nobody is quoting me. What is wrong with you people? I'm hilarious.

You're welcome.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 12:31:45 AM »
Shhh... I was gonna announce it when it's done.

Right now it'll catch any new quotes since set up, and is running back from the beginning of the forum to present.

It only runs when my computer is doing it as a task, and it's slow, so that part will probably take a few days.

Anyways, yes. New feature! Enjoy!

(No one tell IP Daily.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »
I wondered if this was your doing. Thank you!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:44:18 AM »
(No one tell IP Daily.)

The only features I'd like to see right now are the ones that fix what we already have.

*sigh*

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
Where is this link?  I can't find it. :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »

Third link in your header, next to your avatar. If you don't see that, look in the upper right, next to the banner, for a little white down arrow next to the words "The Mustachian Forum" and click that down arrow to expand your header, and then the link will appear.

Here is a direct link, for bookmarking purposes: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?action=whoquoted

Currently about 25% of the forum's history is indexed (Feb 2012 - March 2015). The rest should come online over the next few days or so.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:02 PM »

Third link in your header, next to your avatar. If you don't see that, look in the upper right, next to the banner, for a little white down arrow next to the words "The Mustachian Forum" and click that down arrow to expand your header, and then the link will appear.

Here is a direct link, for bookmarking purposes: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?action=whoquoted

Currently about 25% of the forum's history is indexed (Feb 2012 - March 2015). The rest should come online over the next few days or so.

Thanks!   It took the white arrow to make it visible.  I had wondered why the other options had been taken away...

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »

I got you!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 07:22:12 PM »

Love analysing growth rates....

25% of posts in the first 3 years.
75% of posts in the following 4 years.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »

Yep!

We're now at 75% indexed, and we're at October 2017. The last 1.5 years has had 25% of the forum's posts. It's gotten big.

That's really weird for me personally, because while I drastically reduced forum use after FIRE in 2015, I still used it quite a bit (stopping reading most new posts, but reading all the threads I was following) for awhile, but then finally I stopped even reading my "replies to your posts" in Dec 2017. Occasionally I'll go through and catch up on one, but I just don't have time to follow journals anymore or anything.

Pretty much only come on the forums to respond to PMs and moderator reports.

And it doesn't feel like that long ago when I did that (Dec 2017), but that isn't that far after October 2017... and 25% of the forum's posts have come since then! Meaning even though it feels like I just left the forum, I only was here for the first 75% of the history. Though I guess when you look at time, it tracks--6/7 years = 85% in terms of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 04:48:45 AM »

Yep!

We're now at 75% indexed, and we're at October 2017. The last 1.5 years has had 25% of the forum's posts. It's gotten big.

That's really weird for me personally, because while I drastically reduced forum use after FIRE in 2015, I still used it quite a bit (stopping reading most new posts, but reading all the threads I was following) for awhile, but then finally I stopped even reading my "replies to your posts" in Dec 2017. Occasionally I'll go through and catch up on one, but I just don't have time to follow journals anymore or anything.

Pretty much only come on the forums to respond to PMs and moderator reports.

And it doesn't feel like that long ago when I did that (Dec 2017), but that isn't that far after October 2017... and 25% of the forum's posts have come since then! Meaning even though it feels like I just left the forum, I only was here for the first 75% of the history. Though I guess when you look at time, it tracks--6/7 years = 85% in terms of time.
Can't argue with your reasons,  but your absence has been noticed and keenly felt. ARS behind the scenes is better than no ARS at all. You're still the glue that holds this place together and I'm grateful for that. No disrespect for the other mods: collectively, you kick ass.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 07:59:45 AM »
Can't argue with your reasons,  but your absence has been noticed and keenly felt. ARS behind the scenes is better than no ARS at all. You're still the glue that holds this place together and I'm grateful for that. No disrespect for the other mods: collectively, you kick ass.

Thanks!

That latter part was only cause I was more visible; Toque does a lot. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »

Thanks!

That latter part was only cause I was more visible; Toque does a lot. :)
That's true, but he also seems to have gained on you as far as being involved in conversations. But then, he's probably not the dad of two preschoolers :-P
I'm not sure who the other mods are, but all of you are very much appreciated.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 12:24:53 AM »
Right now it'll catch any new quotes since set up, and is running back from the beginning of the forum to present.

It only runs when my computer is doing it as a task, and it's slow, so that part will probably take a few days.

It's done.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »

It's done.
Badass!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 07:44:51 AM »
It's done.

75 pages of quotes for me. Wow, that means I've been quoted 1,497 times.

kingxiaodi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
It's done.

That's quite a ratio. Slightly more than 1 quote for every 2 posts!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »

I'm sure the winner of a ratio competition like that would be someone with an extremely small amount of posts who started a controversial topic, that a bunch of people quoted when replying.

If you bump up the number of posts required (like a "minimum at bats" stats in baseball), it's likely someone who only is in the journal section, posts frequently there, and people quote their posts when replying.

I like numbers though, and that's a fun one. There are some insightful people who likely get quoted a bunch.

My numbers:
Spoiler: show
With 829 pages of quotes, I'm at at about a 1.65 posts per quote ratio.

Formula =
Total number of posts / (# of pages on your who quoted me page x 20 posts/page)

It's slightly off because the last page may not have exactly 20, but only matters if you have very few quotes, at large numbers, it's approximately close enough.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
It's done.

It looks like it counts people who quoted people who quoted me. So one post can get several quotes in a quote chain even if only one person directly quoted it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
It looks like it counts people who quoted people who quoted me. So one post can get several quotes in a quote chain even if only one person directly quoted it.

It's quotes all the way down.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »

It's quotes all the way down.

:)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:06 PM »
That was a trip down memory lane.  It took me a couple days, but I read every reply on my list.  It makes me want to go back and resurrect some of those discussions.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »
That was a trip down memory lane.  It took me a couple days, but I read every reply on my list.  It makes me want to go back and resurrect some of those discussions.
If they're still relevant/interesting, or have content that might be helpful for newbies, why not?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »
Wow, i'm surprised how often my stuff has been quoted.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
The problem with that button is that nobody is quoting me. What is wrong with you people?
I have no sense of humor.
I'm hilarious.
I'll have to ask someone with a sense of humor.
 Actually none of this is true, I just wanted to quote you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!