Author Topic: Messages from the community  (Read 22173 times)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
Re: Messages from the community
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 07:02:07 AM »
I'm guessing ARS would have different percentages.  Maybe 50 / 15 / 25 / 10 ...

From what I know of him, his point needed to maintain importance, moderation was a necessity, and this forum needed to be cleansed regularly *shrug* :)

Things are in relatively good shape right now.

Occasionally, people get out of hand, but we generally have good conversations and responses to even the most outlandish case studies.  What matters is the forum continues to serve as a good place to get honest answers rooted in our local philosophy.

i.e. If you want to find out how to save money to buy an expensive purse or fitness device, you're not going to get help, you're going to get told what a ridiculous waste of money those things are.  That's as it should be.

Toque.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:44 PM »
Yay @sol didn't get booted off by MMM.

but now it looks like I'll have to go back to being just another semi-anonymous member.

Count me relieved.  I read much more on this forum than I write, and I’d put Sol as one of my top three favorite posters.   And his avatar is the absolute best!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »
Also in defense of @sol since MMM might not know him here. He's a...um... strong personality and often very critical of others but a much beloved member of this forum and probably the number one caller-outer of antimustachian BS on this site. He has a lot of insight and wisdom so hope MMM reads some of his posts and also that Sol stays around. He may be a dick sometimes but he's a wise and insightful dick ;-).
I agree with Spartana about Sol:))
@sol can come on strong, but shares interesting insights and new perspectives many times. He doesn’t sugar coat it, or mince words.  Or, as I would have told a co-worker “It’s not you, he’s like that with everyone” 😎 (Aka - the delivery is rough, but no malice]
I have a couple of favorite curmudgeons on this forum, and @sol near the top of this list... @sol is a brave and valiant Defender of the Mustache. He is smart, insightful, and his wisdom makes a difference around here.
I've been lurking around for a couple of years and was finally convinced to register SOLely to defend @sol
I agree Sol should stay.  He's a good egg.  Hard shell, but good egg.
I am genuinely curious to know if @sol is embarrassed by the outpouring from his fan club or if his ego just eats it up as a normal part of sol-life.
Add me to the vote of confidence in favor of sol.  These days I come to this website to read sol's writings as much as MMM's.
Count me relieved.  I read much more on this forum than I write, and I’d put Sol as one of my top three favorite posters.   

Thank you all for the kind words of support. 

And to MMM for granting me a reprieve.

I have contributed countless thousands of words to this forum over the past five years.  It's kind of embarrassing, really, what a huge time suck it has been for a man who should be spending time with his family, or advancing his career, or working out, or doing pretty much anything else except rattling a keyboard at strangers.  But I like to write, and it's good to hear that someone out there likes to read.

I will log all of your positive affirmations and store them away for a rainy day when I need them most.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2018, 03:59:09 AM »
You know you've made an impression that if I ever play a word association game and someone says "blender" I am immediately going to reply "Sol".

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 06:38:50 AM »
You know you've made an impression that if I ever play a word association game and someone says "blender" I am immediately going to reply "Sol".

It's true, that should have been higher on my list of troublesome topics:  guns, trump, blenders, paying off your mortgage early ...

As long as no one starts up one about which way to load a roll of toilet paper, we're okay.

Toque.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »

It's true, that should have been higher on my list of troublesome topics:  guns, trump, blenders, paying off your mortgage early ...

As long as no one starts up one about which way to load a roll of toilet paper, we're okay.

Toque.

Don’t get me started! I may even be able to craft an frugality argument as to WHY my way is the one and only right way.  But I won’t do that to you.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
I've heard the only universally right answer to that question is "whichever way does not incentivize the cat to unspool the whole roll onto the bathroom floor".

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
I've heard the only universally right answer to that question is "whichever way does not incentivize the cat to unspool the whole roll onto the bathroom floor".

I'm dealing with a toddler, not a cat- but we haven't figured out which direction that is

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »

I'm dealing with a toddler, not a cat- but we haven't figured out which direction that is

Genuinely, have you tried this? Obviously it won't eliminate the problem, but it might curb the sense of endless fun.

http://www.couponingtodisney.com/squash-toilet-paper/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »

Genuinely, have you tried this? Obviously it won't eliminate the problem, but it might curb the sense of endless fun.

http://www.couponingtodisney.com/squash-toilet-paper/

Hmmm- thanks. Right now we just aren't hanging it at all. She can't reach the window sill.

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »

Toque.

You forgot to add in "the Beatles" or "has the community gone soft."

Word association:

Blenders - Sol
Mortgage payoff - boarder42
Vegas Real Estate - arebelspy (also eternally pronouncing his name as Arabels Pi)
Not billing hours b/c of MM - Laura33
Need a link to relevant posts! - BrackenJoy

Also, Sol's posts (and Kris' as well) always seem much more aggressive to me than probably intended due to their avatars.  If Sol had, say, a white fluffy dog wearing a top hat and monocle as his avatar I'd probably read them much differently than the scary South African man staring at me.   Laura33's posts somehow don't get derailed by her 'creepiest avatar on the forum' animated gif though. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
I think you can lock this thread now @FrugalToque - it is played out 😎

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
I have been on this forum for over two years and have never received a warning nor have I ever reported a soul.

@HappierAtHome and I had to ask a mod very nicely in order to get our warnings :)

Perhaps if you put in a request you can get one too if you're feeling left out?

My duties, if I had to take a rough guess.

70% - throwing out spammers, locking/deleting/unlocking journals by request
20% - telling people to use manners (includes rare "warnings")
5% - writing deeply insightful posts
5% - throwing out various kinds of asshole (white supremacist, MRA/PUA, trolls, bigots(other) )

You're mostly not going to notice any 'warning' situations (either rx'ing one or feeling the need to Summon a Moderator) if you're spending your time in the early retirement parts of the forum.  A lot of that stuff goes on in the off topic threads, where I might ban someone who uses a term ending in "-tard" or lock a thread that raises too many moderation requests.

The most irritating off-topic subjects are generally: guns, Trump, more guns, bitcoin, guns, Trump, etc.

Toque.

Do we need more mods?

No, we need more guns.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
I have been on this forum for over two years and have never received a warning nor have I ever reported a soul.

@HappierAtHome and I had to ask a mod very nicely in order to get our warnings :)

Perhaps if you put in a request you can get one too if you're feeling left out?

My duties, if I had to take a rough guess.

70% - throwing out spammers, locking/deleting/unlocking journals by request
20% - telling people to use manners (includes rare "warnings")
5% - writing deeply insightful posts
5% - throwing out various kinds of asshole (white supremacist, MRA/PUA, trolls, bigots(other) )

You're mostly not going to notice any 'warning' situations (either rx'ing one or feeling the need to Summon a Moderator) if you're spending your time in the early retirement parts of the forum.  A lot of that stuff goes on in the off topic threads, where I might ban someone who uses a term ending in "-tard" or lock a thread that raises too many moderation requests.

The most irritating off-topic subjects are generally: guns, Trump, more guns, bitcoin, guns, Trump, etc.

Toque.

Do we need more mods?

No, we need more guns.

I'm hoping you were *trying* to be humorous / ironic / hyperbolic?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2018, 01:45:09 AM »
I laughed.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 02:50:36 AM »
Agreed. When did all the fun die around these parts?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 05:05:34 AM »
I laughed.

I laughed too.

Seriously though, I do not see how purchasing guns is mustachian. We call out purchases such as a daily cup of coffee, but heaven forbid we call out a daily purchase of ammunition for the same value.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
I laughed.

I laughed too.

Seriously though, I do not see how purchasing guns is mustachian. We call out purchases such as a daily cup of coffee, but heaven forbid we call out a daily purchase of ammunition for the same value.

A true mustachian makes his/her own guns. It builds character, strength, and freedom.

I laughed too

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
I just reload bullets myself using lentils for the bullets, lentils for the powder, and lentils for the cartridge. Really keeps the cost down.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
I just reload bullets myself using lentils for the bullets, lentils for the powder, and lentils for the cartridge. Really keeps the cost down.

Off topic*: (frugal) vegan pizza - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MpL1KfYEJg

(*but inspired by your use of lentils for everything!)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »

Toque.

You forgot to add in "the Beatles" or "has the community gone soft."

Word association:

Blenders - Sol
Non Perils of Mortgage payoff - boarder42
Vegas Real Estate - arebelspy (also eternally pronouncing his name as Arabels Pi)
Not billing hours b/c of MM - Laura33
Need a link to relevant posts! - BrackenJoy

Also, Sol's posts (and Kris' as well) always seem much more aggressive to me than probably intended due to their avatars.  If Sol had, say, a white fluffy dog wearing a top hat and monocle as his avatar I'd probably read them much differently than the scary South African man staring at me.   Laura33's posts somehow don't get derailed by her 'creepiest avatar on the forum' animated gif though.
FTFY, unless someone comes up with a better one. Don't give the poor guy a heart attack.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

Yes but have you compared the cost of buying the lentils in bulk vs growing them yourself?

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »

Yes but have you compared the cost of buying the lentils in bulk vs growing them yourself?

The economy of scale you get from attempting to form your own brass versus the economics of a small factory that can press this stuff out at a superb rate is pretty tough to beat. Reloading, except down for theraputic purposes, gains its greatest utility as when done to maximize higher cost/lower input shells.

This years garden I will focus on peppers and a few other rare/expensive fruits and veggies, while buying my beans and grain products.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
Aside from that, Sol and I probably just have different styles, and that is fine with me if it's fine with everyone else.
Yes, you do have different styles. With the exception of the (relatively few, generally off-topic) threads where he responds to the discourse showing gross lack of understanding of another person's point of view and attacks with straw man arguments, Sol's comments are usually blunt, yet insightful. I can't see his bluntness winning over as many people to his point of view as I think your blog has, but he does get some thinking going within the community you created.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!