Author Topic: Messages from the community  (Read 22172 times)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
Messages from the community
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
It looks threads now always terminate with a special message from "The Money Mustache Community". I'm not complaining, but I'm curious why this is. Maybe to ensure that hosted ads continue to appear in forum browsing apps (e.g. Tapatalk?)

Also, why is there no Mr. in the name?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Messages from the community
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »

Because this is the 21st Century? :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »
Can't say I like the "source" of the "pretend posting".

But overall, the advertising on this site is very unobtrusive compared to other sites.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
I was wondering why this is, too.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:19:41 PM »
No easy way to hide it with an adblock rule either...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
The one at the bottom of the page is still there too.

It would be nice to get rid of the fake post.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
I never minded the ad that would show at the bottom of every page, but I'm not a fan of posts that push ads.

Fake posts to push ads doesn't fit with the statements in this blog post:  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/16/get-rich-with-blogging/

"In the long run, the biggest fundraiser for this blog will probably be the MMM Recommends Page and the Commission-paying Rewards Credit Cards list. I like that method, because those things are tucked out of the way, useful, and non-spammy."

Fake posts feel spammy.

My $0.02.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
Here, have a userscript:

Code: [Select]
// ==UserScript==
// @name         "Money Mustache Community"
// @namespace    http://seattlecyclone.com/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Hide the annoying ads
// @author       seattlecyclone
// @match        https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
    var targNode = document.querySelector ("div[id=forumposts] > form > div:nth-last-child(2)");
    if(targNode.innerHTML.indexOf("The Money Mustache Community") !== -1) {
        targNode.style.display = "none";
    }
})();

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
Fake posts to push ads doesn't fit with the statements in this blog post:  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/16/get-rich-with-blogging/

Are we even sure the original author of MMM is still around?  I've seen a handful of other blogs (GRS, for example) get all spammy for unknown reasons, only later to find out that the blogger pocketed a seven figure check to sell his blog (and thus all of his users) to a marketing site, which promptly monetizes the blog with advertising.  There's often an NDA involved, so that the community doesn't bail just because the founder's unique voice isn't present any more.  Sometimes the founder is required to to continue posting for a year or three, in reduced capacity.

I wouldn't put it past Pete to take the big payday, and then start over again somewhere else.  It's not like he seems to particularly enjoy blogging, given the frequency of his posts the past year or two.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe Pete sold out a year ago and we're just now figuring it out?  About the time that arebelspy dropped off the radar, and moderation started to get a little more roughly hands-on, and MMM's blog posts dropped to once per month or less?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »
Here, have a userscript:

Code: [Select]
// ==UserScript==
// @name         "Money Mustache Community"
// @namespace    http://seattlecyclone.com/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Hide the annoying ads
// @author       seattlecyclone
// @match        https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
    var targNode = document.querySelector ("div[id=forumposts] > form > div:nth-last-child(2)");
    if(targNode.innerHTML.indexOf("The Money Mustache Community") !== -1) {
        targNode.style.display = "none";
    }
})();
Real MVP.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »

Are we even sure the original author of MMM is still around?  I've seen a handful of other blogs (GRS, for example) get all spammy for unknown reasons, only later to find out that the blogger pocketed a seven figure check to sell his blog (and thus all of his users) to a marketing site, which promptly monetizes the blog with advertising.  There's often an NDA involved, so that the community doesn't bail just because the founder's unique voice isn't present any more.  Sometimes the founder is required to to continue posting for a year or three, in reduced capacity.

I wouldn't put it past Pete to take the big payday, and then start over again somewhere else.  It's not like he seems to particularly enjoy blogging, given the frequency of his posts the past year or two.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe Pete sold out a year ago and we're just now figuring it out?  About the time that arebelspy dropped off the radar, and moderation started to get a little more roughly hands-on, and MMM's blog posts dropped to once per month or less?

I thought this might be it as well.

Another quote from that blog post:
MMM: "And don’t worry, I am not even thinking about selling this thing. Someone did send me an unsolicited offer once for something like $10,000, and I thanked him for the information. But it seems unlikely that anyone would want to pay in the millions for a blog, with the condition that the author can continue to write (or not write) whatever he wants and quit at any time without notice.. with anti-consumerism, political incorrectness, and swearing  being key parts of the message."

Obviously he is human, and still could sell. However, that would be extremely hypocritical, especially from someone's who whole message is that he is FIRE and doesn't need the money.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »
I'll bet a forum with as many active users as this one is worth hundreds of thousands if not more.  Pure speculation built off of some of the much smaller automotive forums I have been on have been offered $50k and $100k according to the owners.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »

Sol, as you appear to be a betting man (or at least a speculator), I'd be willing to wager one Dogecoin (in 2025 valuations?) that Pete still owns the blog and has creative control over it.

I haven't noticed MMM getting substantially more spammy -- only that his posts have become less frequent, less profanity packed, and somewhat further along the hedonistic treadmill (wait, that metaphor seems wrong). All of that can, I believe, be attributable to Pete having said all he originally intended to say. Like Bitcoin, it gets harder and harder to produce new content, and Pete has more interesting things to do with his life than churn out new content (or go to the effort of starting a whole new blog). If and when Pete starts including obnoxious pop-up and high-screen-real-estate ads, I'll be more persuaded.

I'd argue the same is probably true of the forum. There's only so much one can say about a 4% SWR. And yet here we all still are.

SeattleCyclone: Well done, sir. I admit I had to look up what a UserScript is.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:34 AM »
I came here to post about this. However, my post was going to be about a blank message from "The Money Mustache Community" at the bottom of every thread. Just so I understand correctly, are people normally seeing these posts as containing adverts? I have AdBlock for Chrome installed so presumably it's just blocking them and that's why it's blank for me.

If it is adverts, that's really fucking annoying. Seems like the kind of thing Pete ought to object to on principle. What are they ads for? Or is it like Google Ads where it's customised for the user?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:44:07 AM »
I came here to post about this. However, my post was going to be about a blank message from "The Money Mustache Community" at the bottom of every thread. Just so I understand correctly, are people normally seeing these posts as containing adverts? I have AdBlock for Chrome installed so presumably it's just blocking them and that's why it's blank for me.

If it is adverts, that's really fucking annoying. Seems like the kind of thing Pete ought to object to on principle. What are they ads for? Or is it like Google Ads where it's customised for the user?

I'm seeing the same thing. "Native" ads seem contrary to the entire spirit of the community so I'm really disappointed to see them here.

You can pause adblock to see the ads if curious.

They seem to be interacting weirdly with the "new post" button at the end of threads with new posts for me.

Million2000

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »

I think they are customized, because they are for mostly local products and services, or for things I've recently searched for. The ads just match those already on the bottom. Seems like overkill and is invasive. Hopefully they don't start appearing in the middle of the topic, that would be unbearable. When occasionally searching for answers on the internet, I run across various forums that have this and if taken to the extreme make it unusable. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »
What are they ads for? Or is it like Google Ads where it's customised for the user?

I don't know if they are customized, but the ones I'm seeing are ridiculously un-MMM.  If you turn off your adblock and reload the page you can see for yourself.  Mine are advertising luxury resort vacations and $200 sneakers.

As an added bonus, if you turn off your adblock and reload the page ten times, MMM will make $400,000.03 next year instead of $400,000.00.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:36 AM »
FrugalToque said he was looking into it- so possibly they aren't supposed to be there.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
Unbelievably, I'm getting an ad for a fucking crypto ICO.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
Hello everyone!

Thanks for pointing this out, I agree it was a ridiculous and intrusive place for ads to appear.

I just found the admin setting that was causing that and disabled it. The reason they had appeared in the first place is that I was trying to "fix" the Google Adsense setup - revenue had dropped to nearly zero across the whole website even while traffic levels seemed fine.. so I was wondering if some of the recent updates to this forum software had changed those options.

That setting box that I had checked, "Display ads after the last post", seemed appropriate enough, but obviously it wasn't.

Also thanks to Mr. Toque for emailing me about it this morning, and for all the work he does here.

Sol: Just so you know, I find your your "I wouldn't put it past Pete to do X or Y" comments pretty insulting.

We have NEVER EVEN MET, and yet you have these detailed and incorrect conspiracy theories about my personal ethics and life motivations that you will happily share with thousands of people, right here on my website.

You have your own value system that you're free to live by, but from my perspective, this is pretty negative behavior - whether I see it applied to me, or any other stranger on the Internet.

For the sake of the vibe of this forum, I do feel everyone else would be better off if you found another place to spend your online time, but I'll leave that decision to you and the rest of the group, rather than trying to enforce it myself.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »
Thanks for fixing so quickly!

Cheers,
OurTown

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
Thanks to @FrugalToque and @MMM for the follow-up and fix.

Sometimes the checkboxes enable something you don’t expect (like in notifications! Right @Daley?)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
Thanks for fixing it MMM.  Like I said in the other thread; it didn't seem like something you'd do. Glad it was inadvertent rather than you selling.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
Sol: Just so you know, I find your your "I wouldn't put it past Pete to do X or Y" comments pretty insulting.

We have NEVER EVEN MET, and yet you have these detailed and incorrect conspiracy theories about my personal ethics and life motivations that you will happily share with thousands of people, right here on my website.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be insulting.  Or disparaging of your character or ethics.  I was just mystified by the change, and speculating that it might be analogous to the path I have seen unfold on other sites.  I wouldn't blame you at all if you thought you could do more good in the world with a few million extra dollars instead of a blog that you've told us has largely run its course.

For the sake of the vibe of this forum, I do feel everyone else would be better off if you found another place to spend your online time, but I'll leave that decision to you and the rest of the group, rather than trying to enforce it myself.

That was unexpected.  I've never been personally asked to leave a place by a site's founder before.  :-(

Can I still lurk?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out, I agree it was a ridiculous and intrusive place for ads to appear.

Thanks for sorting it out. I'm glad to know that you do object! :)

Also, TIL how to pause AdBlock. Who'd'a thunk it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
Like everyone else, I am so glad it is fixed - thank you MMM.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
He may be a dick sometimes but he's a wise and insightful dick ;-).

Quite the epitaph :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
I agree with Spartana about Sol:))

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Yay fixed. Was driving me nuts. Thanks Frugal Toque and MMM.

Also in defense of @sol since MMM might not know him here. He's a...um... strong personality and often very critical of others but a much beloved member of this forum and probably the number one caller-outer of antimustachian BS on this site. He has a lot of insight and wisdom so hope MMM reads some of his posts and also that Sol stays around. He may be a dick sometimes but he's a wise and insightful dick ;-).

I agree with @spartana  and am glad she decided to post as I was considering whether to do so - @sol can come on strong, but shares interesting insights and new perspectives many times. He doesn’t sugar coat it, or mince words.  Or, as I would have told a co-worker “It’s not you, he’s like that with everyone” 😎 (Aka - the delivery is rough, but no malice]

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Thanks for the fix.   I suspected it might be more of a bug than a feature, and I'm glad this was so.   It didn't seem to be in the spirit of MMM, and I'm glad you didn't like it either.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
Yay fixed. Was driving me nuts. Thanks Frugal Toque and MMM.

Also in defense of @sol since MMM might not know him here. He's a...um... strong personality and often very critical of others but a ♡♡♡much beloved member♡♡♡ of this forum and probably the number one caller-outer of antimustachian BS on this site. He has a lot of insight and wisdom so hope MMM reads some of his posts and also that Sol stays around. He may be a dick sometimes but he's a wise and insightful dick ;-).
FTFY @spartana. I hope you don't mind.

I have a couple of favorite curmudgeons on this forum, and @sol near the top of this list. In fact, I've grown to appreciate his style so much, he hardly looks curmudgeonly at all.

Dear @MMM, you don't know me either. I know you are leading a way cooler life than mine and you just don't have time to hang here much, but @sol is a brave and valiant Defender of the Mustache. He is smart, insightful, and his wisdom makes a difference around here.

I read his comment as if sol was voicing everyone's worst fear. It would be personally devastating if MMM and the MMM Forum went the way of so many other$.

@FrugalToque, since I'm not sure if Pete will see this, would you be kind enough to pass this message on? Also, please tell @arebelspy he is sorely missed and that we are all hoping for the best for his beloved family.

Oh, and I hated those ads, too. Thanks for fixing it!

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Another vote for Sol to hang around please! I dont post much but read a lot. He is OK.
And good move with the ads. It was some BMW monstrosity the other day which was kind of hilarious.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
Thank you @FrugalToque for the fast response and @MMM for the fix. Hopefully you're also able to identify and fix what went wrong with the google adsense revenue.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:50 AM »
Okay! Feedback heard loud and clear.

Sorry for taking such personal offense @sol and I also appreciate your gentle response when you were probably pretty pissed off at me :-)

I think I have a soft shell on the issue of ethics about running this website, because I'm VERY aware of the potential conflict of interest between having people's attention (and sometimes even trust), and abusing it for the sake of making money. So I have really tried not to abuse it.

At the same time, I have felt really good about some of the things that earning money post-retirement has allowed me to do, and also kind of proud that my family and I have not inflated our lifestyles beyond what we could have afforded pre-blog. So I do want the site (and/or any eventual book, or maybe some other future projects) to continue to earn money. It's a useful tool for an idealistic person who likes big long-term plans.

So I do my best, and valid criticism is accepted, and misguided accusations seem to hurt quite a bit - at least from actual forum members here.

Aside from that, Sol and I probably just have different styles, and that is fine with me if it's fine with everyone else.

I personally feel like everyone should be super polite to each other on the Internet, never throw the first insult, never speculate aloud about negative motivations of people you don't know, and assume the best, or if that doesn't work, just take separate paths. But I'm not the Internet Police, so off I go to get back to some construction - it's a sunny day here in Colorado :-)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:56:33 AM by MMM »

HiBob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
I've been lurking around for a couple of years and was finally convinced to register SOLely to defend @sol (see what I did there?).  I'll occasionally scroll through threads looking to see if he has posted before deciding whether or not to read, because I am actually that lazy and his commentary is really good. 

I mean, this is gold:
what specific actions would it take to avert the impending 'doom'?

I think you're looking at "doom" the wrong way.

Yes, environmental catastrophe is one kind of doom.  But it's a slow-rolling boulder, that mostly squishes poor people.  Meanwhile, our cities are burning down around us with more immediate problems.  Opioid addiction, sex trafficking, Mexican cartels beheading people, unregistered pedophiles, soulja boy, homelessness, racists driving their cars into crowds of people... it's a depressingly long list.

If you think destroying the Earth is bad for the Earth, you can feel better knowing that Earth wouldn't blink if humanity were wiped out tomorrow.  It's been here 4.5 billion years and hominids have been here approximately one tenth of one percent of that time.  All of recorded history is approximately one thousandth of one thousandth of one percent of that time, and for the vast majority of that tiny sliver we hadn't discovered fossil fuels.  On the scale of the planet, all of humanity thus far is basically an instantaneous event.

If you think destroying the Earth is bad for the people who live on Earth, then your real concern is human suffering, not environmentalism, and by that metric the environment is waaaaaay down on the list of problems.  Somewhere on Earth today, a child under 6 was raped, a drunk driver killed a single mother, and a bag full of puppies was drowned in a river.  That happens every single day.  Torture still happens.  Thousands of people literally die every day from diarrhea.  Oh and we still have enough nukes to end all human life in under 30 minutes, ready set go!  Compared to these sorts of problems, rising sea level seems a little less like a crisis, right? 

Yes billions of coastal people will have to relocate to new cities, but hey at least they won't die of diarrhea this year, unlike several thousand real humans who are alive today and who won't be alive in 2019, having died horrible painful deaths that were totally preventable.  So are we really worried about the potential inconvenience to future humans?

And yes, the ice caps are totally going to melt and the polar bears are all going to die, but let's not forget that there are only a few thousand polar bears anyway and we literally slaughter 40 million cows every single year, just because they are pleasingly delicious.  So are we really worried about animal welfare?

I realize that I'm probably not helping, at this point.  Sorry.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
Thank you @FrugalToque and @MMM for fixing this.  The last ad I saw before it was fixed was for an ad blocker.  :)

I agree Sol should stay.  He's a good egg.  Hard shell, but good egg. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
I am genuinely curious to know if @sol is embarrassed by the outpouring from his fan club or if his ego just eats it up as a normal part of sol-life.

(I'm also part of the fan club so I hope you are staying and posting!)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »

I would guess because "Mr." in MMM is reserved for Pete himself, the same way we call ourselves Mustachians.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
I am genuinely curious to know if @sol is embarrassed by the outpouring from his fan club or if his ego just eats it up as a normal part of sol-life.

(I'm also part of the fan club so I hope you are staying and posting!)

Yes @sol - curious minds want to know.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
Someone who consistently engages in rhetoric without substances, can easily get the group worked up, and it happens in this space. It is unfortunate and typically involves someone having unhinged anger at something or someone they hardly understand. I have been on this forum for over two years and have never received a warning nor have I ever reported a soul.

This is the internet and people disagree with one another. However we don't really know anything about anyone and even if they consistently hold a position we disagree with we don't have the right to persecute the person, only their idea. Anyone having a problem with this community other than the intricacies of land lording or grocery shopping strategies should seek them elsewhere. I have found other places to discuss other parts of life which makes coming here more rewarding for what its purpose is.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »
Add me to the vote of confidence in favor of sol.  These days I come to this website to read sol's writings as much as MMM's.

And thank you Toque and MMM for fixing the ad issue.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
Thank you @FrugalToque and @MMM for fixing the forum. I'm glad it was just a technical problem. The blog and the forum have both been a great help to me.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Quite the epitaph :)

I'm not quite dead yet, it seems.

I think I have a soft shell on the issue of ethics about running this website, because I'm VERY aware of the potential conflict of interest between having people's attention (and sometimes even trust), and abusing it for the sake of making money. So I have really tried not to abuse it.

Fair enough.  I think we're all acutely aware of the delicate balance required to monetize a blog devoted to anti-consumerism.  It's hard to preserve the "you can get by with less" message while simultaneously earning more money by telling people to spend less money, but I think your chosen solution is a fine one.   

To everyone else, thanks for the vote of confidence.  I was kind of looking forward to the quasi-fame of being the first person to be publicly kicked off the forum by MMM himself, but now it looks like I'll have to go back to being just another semi-anonymous member.

I read his comment as if sol was voicing everyone's worst fear. It would be personally devastating if MMM and the MMM Forum went the way of so many other$.

Exactly.  A blog sale inevitably signals the impending doom of the community.  I've watched that movie play out multiple times before.  Then MMM himself personally stopped by this thread, which I think is a good sign? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:54:25 PM by sol »

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »
Thank you for the resolution. We all understand that checkboxes are strange things that behave unexpectedly.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:20 PM »
Glad to see this. Especially after seeing how Jesse basically sold out YNAB not that long ago.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »
I have been on this forum for over two years and have never received a warning nor have I ever reported a soul.

@HappierAtHome and I had to ask a mod very nicely in order to get our warnings :)

Perhaps if you put in a request you can get one too if you're feeling left out?

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
I have been on this forum for over two years and have never received a warning nor have I ever reported a soul.

@HappierAtHome and I had to ask a mod very nicely in order to get our warnings :)

My duties, if I had to take a rough guess.

70% - throwing out spammers, locking/deleting/unlocking journals by request
20% - telling people to use manners (includes rare "warnings")
5% - writing deeply insightful posts
5% - throwing out various kinds of asshole (white supremacist, MRA/PUA, trolls, bigots(other) )

You're mostly not going to notice any 'warning' situations (either rx'ing one or feeling the need to Summon a Moderator) if you're spending your time in the early retirement parts of the forum.  A lot of that stuff goes on in the off topic threads, where I might ban someone who uses a term ending in "-tard" or lock a thread that raises too many moderation requests.

The most irritating off-topic subjects are generally: guns, Trump, more guns, bitcoin, guns, Trump, etc.

Toque.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:36:27 AM by FrugalToque »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:46 PM »

5% - throwing out various kinds of asshole (white supremacist, MRA/PUA, trolls, bigots(other) )

You're mostly not going to notice any 'warning' situations (either rx'ing one or feeling the need to Summon a Moderator) if you're spending your time in the early retirement parts of the forum.  A lot of that stuff goes on in the off topic threads, where I might ban someone who uses a term ending in "-tard" or lock a thread that raises too many moderation requests.

The most irritating off-topic subjects are generally: guns, Trump, more guns, bitcoin, guns, Trump, etc.

Toque.
Interesting. Thanks for the peek* behind the curtain.

* ETA: Fucking auto correct. Not "peak" behind the curtain. Ugh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:33:43 PM by Dicey »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »

Toque.

Do we need more mods?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
I'm guessing ARS would have different percentages.  Maybe 50 / 15 / 25 / 10 ...

From what I know of him, his point needed to maintain importance, moderation was a necessity, and this forum needed to be cleansed regularly *shrug* :)