Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299684 times)

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
Forum Ideas
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
Hi everyone!  It's fun to see a little community starting over here already.

Some folks mentioned that we need a link back to the MMM blog.  I totally agree and we will be working on linking the forum and the blog together soon.

I'd like to use this "Forum Ideas" topic for everyone to send me their ideas on anything related to the forum.  That way, I can come to one place and see all your great ideas and start implementing them!  This could be related to the functionality of the forum, any permission issues you see, ideas for new forum topics (I'm thinking a Bicycling area and something for Meet-Ups might be nice), etc...

Both MMM and I are new to this whole forum thing (I've participated in a PHPBB forum for years, but never administered one before), so please send us any advice you might have.

Thanks to all of you for building such a great community!  It's pretty awesome.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
Hi Mrs.MM!

Thanks for starting this!

Re: permissions issues, I cannot see any categories on the main page of the forum. It was working, but stopped about a half hour ago.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
Hello Mrs.MM!!
       I think a meetup section or regional category, as well as a minimoneymustache category would be awesome.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
Hi Mrs.MM!

Re: permissions issues, I cannot see any categories on the main page of the forum. It was working, but stopped about a half hour ago.

Hmmm... I had that happen to me when I was testing the site as the "minimize" button was accidentally clicked. 

Go to the bar where it says "The Only Category" and on the right is says "Unread Posts" and there's a little plus sign there (which toggles +/-).  Click that and you should be good (if I'm understanding your problem correctly).  Let me know if it works...

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Hello Mrs.MM!!
       I think a meetup section or regional category, as well as a minimoneymustache category would be awesome.

Thanks MEJG (what does that stand for anyway?).  :)

I agree with the meetup section.  What would the "minimoneymustache category" contain?  You mean a place for beginner Mustachians?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
Hi Mrs.MM!

Hmmm... I had that happen to me when I was testing the site as the "minimize" button was accidentally clicked. 

Go to the bar where it says "The Only Category" and on the right is says "Unread Posts" and there's a little plus sign there (which toggles +/-).  Click that and you should be good (if I'm understanding your problem correctly).  Let me know if it works...

I feel so embarrassed. That was it. Thanks!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
I feel so embarrassed. That was it. Thanks!

Don't be embarrassed!  I had the exact same thing happen to me and it took me a while to figure it out.  :)  I'm glad it worked!  I'm sure it will happen to many more folks... I'll see if there's a way to get rid of that "feature".

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
Thanks MEJG (what does that stand for anyway?).  :)

I agree with the meetup section.  What would the "minimoneymustache category" contain?  You mean a place for beginner Mustachians?

I was thinking a section for discussions centered about children :-) the "should one of us stay home and one us of work 5+ more years, or both work for the next 4 and retire" and the "my child has his/her first job, pro/cons of helping them with a Roth?"

MEJG.... well I try to keep my internet names obscure enough not to be easily recognized so suffice it to say three of the letters are initials and the fourth an stands for an important place.

RoseRed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
A geographically based section would be nice, especially for those of us based outside the US, so that we can swap tips with people who share our currency/shops/laws/interest rates.

wAs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
Love the blog and I'm sure I'll love the forum too. Thanks!

My topic: Ideas/suggestions on leading a spouse or significant other toward musthachian concepts. Need some "sales" tools.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
I was thinking a section for discussions centered about children :-) the "should one of us stay home and one us of work 5+ more years, or both work for the next 4 and retire" and the "my child has his/her first job, pro/cons of helping them with a Roth?"

Yes!  Good idea about a separate area for those of us with kids.  Once we have a list of new areas, I'll discuss with MMM and we'll add them in.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks RoseRed and wAs.  Good ideas!

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
A section for book, magazine, website reviews would be nice to see.

gestalt162

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Junior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
+1 on the idea for regional forums, which offer the chance for meetups. I would love to meet with my fellow Mustachians in the Western NY area (I know there are a few).

Mike Key

• Stubble
  • Entrepreneur & Adventure Seeker
    • Tiny House - Big Backyard
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Both MMM and I are new to this whole forum thing (I've participated in a PHPBB forum for years, but never administered one before), so please send us any advice you might have.

I've run and moderated several vbulletin forums over the years. The hardest part is just watching out for spammers/scammers who create a user and then post garbage. That's why a team is the most important aspect. You've already got a thread for moderators, so identifying and having a good core team of community users will help the community grow.

I have a suggestion for a blog/forum tie in. Allow folks to keep posting comments on blog posts, but maybe allow/direct more discussion on articles into the forum. A few of the other sites I follow like Simple Dollar and Nerd Fitness do this.

Basically having one forum section dedicated to followup's or ongoing discussion of an article and it's topic.

Erin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »

I like this idea :)

Thanks Mrs. MM for starting the forum! I'm sure I will learn a lot from the community.

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
This may be something small.  But maybe under everyone's username we can add the city/state they are located in.  I think its important to know where people are geographically as employment/community and real estate activity is different all around the country and the world.  Getting an idea of where the poster is from is really important IMO when analyzing their investment strategies.  Real estate in the Bay Area, Ca (where I live) is so much higher in price to most parts of the country but for the immediate area the somewhat inflated looking prices may be typical. To others around the country the prices may look absurd.  Just as example and my 2 cents. 

richschmidt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
I'd love to see a different CAPTCHA used during registration.  I couldn't make out half the letters and had to have it read them to me!  That's never happened to me before... so I'm thinking it might be dialed in a bit too tight (or is just poorly implemented).

Just tossing it out there!

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
I'd love to see a different CAPTCHA used during registration.  I couldn't make out half the letters and had to have it read them to me!  That's never happened to me before... so I'm thinking it might be dialed in a bit too tight (or is just poorly implemented).

Just tossing it out there!

Haha!  I agree, but luckily you only have to register once.  :)  I also had to have the letters read to me.  We had issues with spammers getting in at the beginning, so we increased the security a whole bunch. 

m741

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
I would suggest adding a sub-forum for Journals. On the ERE forum they are among the most popular posts.

Ramses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »
I would suggest adding a sub-forum for Journals. On the ERE forum they are among the most popular posts.
Agree with this idea. I had started a dedicated thread for myself in some other section and decided to delete and wait for a better section to post instead.

btw, is the site getting hammered because of the forum script now? Cached versions of the site just started appearing with a message from Cloudflare service.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
I have a suggestion for a blog/forum tie in. Allow folks to keep posting comments on blog posts, but maybe allow/direct more discussion on articles into the forum. A few of the other sites I follow like Simple Dollar and Nerd Fitness do this.

I agree.  It'd be easy for discussion to become fragmented between the blog and forum.

My idea, though I think it'll be controversial and will take people a bit to get used to: it'd be cool if every time a blog was posted, a corresponding thread was made on the forums with the first post pasting in the content and/or linking back to the post.  At the bottom of each post would be a link to that forum thread, for discussion.

That would have a dual purpose of keeping all discussion in that one place, plus encourage people to sign up for the forum for further discussion on MMM's awesome blog posts, which would further grow the community.

bryceb04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
I'd like to be able to use the forum with tapatalk on my phone. Not sure exactly how that works, but I'll look it up later on my computer. Just wanted to get the idea out there. Comes in super handy for following threads on the go.

Edit: looks like tapatalk does support the simple machines forum engine. Beyond that, they claim a free listing service, I'm not sure what else it would take. It's just an idea. :)

All grammar and typing errors I attribute to my phone. Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:20:04 AM by bryceb04 »

Mike Key

• Stubble
  • Entrepreneur & Adventure Seeker
    • Tiny House - Big Backyard
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
I agree.  It'd be easy for discussion to become fragmented between the blog and forum.

My idea, though I think it'll be controversial and will take people a bit to get used to: it'd be cool if every time a blog was posted, a corresponding thread was made on the forums with the first post pasting in the content and/or linking back to the post.  At the bottom of each post would be a link to that forum thread, for discussion.

That would have a dual purpose of keeping all discussion in that one place, plus encourage people to sign up for the forum for further discussion on MMM's awesome blog posts, which would further grow the community.

One of the blogs I read, macrumors.com uses that exact method.

Question, there is no GENERAL TOPICS section. And that would be useful.

I wanted to ask an open question that is related to our money, but doesn't fit into any of the currently existing forums.

So why not a forum for everything else?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:44:19 PM by mikekey »

Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
Big thank you Mrs MM for your technical wizardry. A forum is exactly what we all needed to really help us out. Really appreciate the work you've done.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
Nice, a forum! MMM is one of my favorite personal finance blogs, and I'm glad you guys set up this forum so we Mustachians can all learn from each other.

Can we have mobile versions for the blog and forum, though? I usually browse MMM on my phone, and while the layout looks great on a laptop, it's pretty hard to read on smartphones/tablets. I'm having trouble typing this post on my phone right now.

Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 06:26:48 AM »
I'd like to be able to use the forum with tapatalk on my phone. Not sure exactly how that works, but I'll look it up later on my computer. Just wanted to get the idea out there. Comes in super handy for following threads on the go.

Edit: looks like tapatalk does support the simple machines forum engine. Beyond that and they claim a free laying service, I'm not sure what else it would take. It's just an idea. :)

All grammar and typing errors I attribute to my phone. Cheers!

+1

Tapatalk support would be cool. They have both an iOS an Android app, and it's not hard to implement, from what I understand.

Sir Sideburns 'Stash-a-lot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »
Section Title: My Mustache is Bushier Than Yours!

This is where Mustachians would report on their progress growing out full, freedom-fortifying Money Mustaches.  I'm imagining something along the lines of Jacob's Journals section here: http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/forum.php?id=9

Read Akratic's journal (here: http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/topic.php?id=85) for the sort of inspiring showmanship I have in mind, complete with nerdy graphs and such.

Jacob's journals have been a big inspiration for me.  I'd be interested to know how just full and bushy (or dangly or twisty) the Money Mustaches are of my peers here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:54:31 AM by Sir Sideburns 'Stache-a-lot »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
The Search appears not to be working.  I saw a title for a post, DRIPS, but busied myself with reading other posts.  Later, I decided I'd like to read that potentially informative post about DRIPS, but search returned no results.

Here it is, if anyone's interest is now piqued: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=40.0;topicseen

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
Another note to all of you excellent active forum people!

I am amazed at the amount of talk that is going on in this forum already. The volume is so large, you'd have to spend your entire day here just to keep up!

Luckily, everyone is helping each other and so the whole system is on autopilot. But it means that unlike the main blog comments, I probably won't ever see most of what is written.

If there happens to be a conversation that anyone thinks I should join into, just send me a private message through this forum. Then I can catch up and say hi.

There are many future articles automatically writing themselves within these walls. Dahlink just posted something about alternative cell phone providers that opened my eyes to a whole world of savings I never knew existed for US residents. Stuff like that is bound to happen almost every day now that the previously untapped knowledge of Mustachians has been released.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
The Search appears not to be working.

I may have had my head up my a$$.  It worked fine for me now.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »
Luckily, everyone is helping each other and so the whole system is on autopilot. But it means that unlike the main blog comments, I probably won't ever see most of what is written.

If there happens to be a conversation that anyone thinks I should join into, just send me a private message through this forum. Then I can catch up and say hi.

Mr. MM,

Please please please please read the Ask a Mustacian section!!! Otherwise we will all be forced to contact you via the contact form when we desire your opinion.

Sincerely,
MEJG, who is very envious of your full thick and lustrous 'Stach

td

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
It would be nice to have a place to introduce yourself to the community. Maybe a stand alone category would work for this?

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
How about a reputation system?  I know sometimes it can be abused, but it might be worth trying out here.

drewstees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Engineer
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be really nice if there would be a way to "favorite" a thread (or post).  This would allow each of us to individually track whatever nuggets of knowledge we'd like to remember.  Furthermore, it could allow others to search for the "most favorited" threads/posts over the past month, year, all-time, etc. 

With the popularity of the blog itself, I can see this forum getting quite busy, and this would allow a way for us to filter, track, and build a Mustachian library of sorts.  It would also help MMM target his efforts in the forum.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:52:55 AM by drewstees »

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
Love the blog and I'm sure I'll love the forum too. Thanks!

My topic: Ideas/suggestions on leading a spouse or significant other toward musthachian concepts. Need some "sales" tools.

I think MMM has a big long post dedicated entirely to this topic coming up.. stay tuned!  In the meantime, you can discuss on "Ask a Mustachian".  I think that's an appropriate place for that topic.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »

I think the Reader Recommendations section is the perfect place for that kind of discussion.  :)

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »

I've run and moderated several vbulletin forums over the years. The hardest part is just watching out for spammers/scammers who create a user and then post garbage. That's why a team is the most important aspect. You've already got a thread for moderators, so identifying and having a good core team of community users will help the community grow.

Basically having one forum section dedicated to followup's or ongoing discussion of an article and it's topic.

Thanks Mr. Key!  Any input you have would be appreciated it.  It looks like we've thwarted the spammers for now.  We'll see...

For the blog/forum tie in, I did add something fun to the blog.  There's not a sidebar section that shows the 5 latest posts on the forum.  MMM himself also figured out how to link the top image on the forum back to the blog.  So, we've got some connections made there.

For the blog post discussion, we might start a section called "Blog Post Discussion" (I'm still in talks with MMM about the new sections we'll be adding).  This way, if anyone would like to continue the discussion here, they can easily add a new title to discuss any particular article.  But, the comments would still be the place to continue the main discussion (since only a very small percentage of readers are actually registered users of the forum).

I think in situations where the comments become a more back and forth conversation, it makes sense to start a discussion here.  Also, if people would like to comment on old articles, the forum might be a good place to start a conversation.

I did see a plugin that allows you to automatically post new topics to the forum for every new blog post, but it seems like it would make more sense for one of you to start a new topic if you actually have something to say.

Let me know what you think...

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
This may be something small.  But maybe under everyone's username we can add the city/state they are located in.  I think its important to know where people are geographically as employment/community and real estate activity is different all around the country and the world.  Getting an idea of where the poster is from is really important IMO when analyzing their investment strategies.  Real estate in the Bay Area, Ca (where I live) is so much higher in price to most parts of the country but for the immediate area the somewhat inflated looking prices may be typical. To others around the country the prices may look absurd.  Just as example and my 2 cents.

DONE!!  Your age also automatically appears now if you filled out the date of birth area, so be aware of that.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »

Excellent idea!  We're compiling a list of new sub-forums now and this will definitely be one of them.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
Nice, a forum! MMM is one of my favorite personal finance blogs, and I'm glad you guys set up this forum so we Mustachians can all learn from each other.

Can we have mobile versions for the blog and forum, though? I usually browse MMM on my phone, and while the layout looks great on a laptop, it's pretty hard to read on smartphones/tablets. I'm having trouble typing this post on my phone right now.

Thanks!

This is on my list, but it's a bit further down... I will look into this "Tapatalk" thing that I've never heard of before too.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
It would be nice to have a place to introduce yourself to the community. Maybe a stand alone category would work for this?

I think the Welcome to the Forum place is perfect for that.  Since that area is less active, it will probably become a General Discussions / Welcome area.  I could make a sticky for introductions - does that work?

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be really nice if there would be a way to "favorite" a thread (or post).  This would allow each of us to individually track whatever nuggets of knowledge we'd like to remember.  Furthermore, it could allow others to search for the "most favorited" threads/posts over the past month, year, all-time, etc. 

With the popularity of the blog itself, I can see this forum getting quite busy, and this would allow a way for us to filter, track, and build a Mustachian library of sorts.  It would also help MMM target his efforts in the forum.

Great idea!  I know this forum can do a lot, so I'll see if that's built in somewhere...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
Whoah Mrs. MMM, you've been busy!

I think the Welcome to the Forum place is perfect for that.  Since that area is less active, it will probably become a General Discussions / Welcome area.  I could make a sticky for introductions - does that work?

That's a great idea - repurpose that forum for general member introductions, and add a sticky with general "Hi, Introduce Yourself" instructions.  Each new member can start their own thread (if so inclined) and say where they are on their Mustachian journey.

the early-retirement.org forum has a similar area.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
How about an "off topic" or "miscellaneous" section, or something of that nature?

I'm sure everyone here is dying to talk about the LINsanity sweeping the nation!  ;)

cyclevillian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • cycleville
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »
Idea for a new forum topic: how about an exercise/health section? I know its kind of a broad subject but maybe people could talk about different diets, exercises, health issues, food, healthcare, etc.

BTW, Thanks for the forum! I used to go back and reread posts, now there are all kinds of new topics to discuss and read about. Best blog ever!

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »
Ahhh.. I just made another change around here that I hope you all like as much as I do.

I increased the number of posts displayed per topic page from 15 (requiring you to page back and forth to read a conversation), up to a more reasonable 999. Now you can simply scroll up and down to read through the conversation, the way your web browser was designed to work!

Web sites that split things unnecessarily into pages are a serious pet peeve of mine!

EnemyMind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
Ahhh.. I just made another change around here that I hope you all like as much as I do.

I increased the number of posts displayed per topic page from 15 (requiring you to page back and forth to read a conversation), up to a more reasonable 999. Now you can simply scroll up and down to read through the conversation, the way your web browser was designed to work!

Web sites that split things unnecessarily into pages are a serious pet peeve of mine!

I like it!!

Is there a way to number the posts???  I think 15 is too few on a page (personally I like 50)  but in a really long thread one could get lost.  I have a sneaky suspicion we'll have really long threads on this board.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »

Awesome!  Many forums let you set how many posts you want to see per page, and I always set it to the max.

As an aside, this totally confused me in another thread I swore was two pages, but suddenly was only one, thought posts were getting deleted somehow.  Even posted about it in that thread.  *off to delete that post*

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!