Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299668 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #350 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »
I've an idea: Automobile Forum.

It seems there is a new  automobile thread every day and it might benefit people looking for the perfect car to have all the car threads in one place to compare. Also it might be a great place for people to discuss repairs, mods, or hacks relating to automobiles. I think a specific section would flourish and encourage discussion and growth that might easily be lost in some of the bigger forum sections (General, Ask A Mustachian, etc.)

TonyV.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: August 07, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
I can't seem to find a section in the forums on the awesome things you all do for hobbies/fun that are extremely cheap/free. I'll use the example of Geocaching for one. It can be done totally free or you can purchase a membership for around $20-$30/year. It's an awesome thing to do that is readily available around the world and can be done by bike, hiking or just simply walking around town. If you haven't heard of it, I would HIGHLY suggest you go to Geocaching.com and look into it! It's fun for everyone of all age groups also!

TonyV.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
A few folks over the past couple of years have offered the idea of favoriting posts, and it has generated interest from at least one moderator. I think favoriting alone could take the forum to the next level.

Favoriting would allow us to create a personal list of great posts tailored to our own interests and situations, as well as an aggregate list of everybody's favorite posts. As a user, I have found that it is hard for me to keep track of topics and posts I'm interested in, and it's also hard for me to find the gems of posts that are buried in the past 3 years of awesome content. I know there is value in hard work, but making this curated content easier to save and access has the potential improve the lives of many readers.

For example, www.metafilter.com does a good job of allowing members to favorite posts. They catalog favorites into personal favorites, most favorited of the past 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, and all time.
  how about an agree button as well? :)

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: August 07, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
A few folks over the past couple of years have offered the idea of favoriting posts, and it has generated interest from at least one moderator. I think favoriting alone could take the forum to the next level.

Favoriting would allow us to create a personal list of great posts tailored to our own interests and situations, as well as an aggregate list of everybody's favorite posts. As a user, I have found that it is hard for me to keep track of topics and posts I'm interested in, and it's also hard for me to find the gems of posts that are buried in the past 3 years of awesome content. I know there is value in hard work, but making this curated content easier to save and access has the potential improve the lives of many readers.

For example, www.metafilter.com does a good job of allowing members to favorite posts. They catalog favorites into personal favorites, most favorited of the past 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, and all time.

Perhaps this is implicit in metastache's suggestion, but I have found myself desiring a location where I can save and find followed/favorite topics/threads (vs individual posts)

Barbarossa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
Hi Mrs MM! 

I love the forum, and the blog, and the ideas.  But I just signed up and posted a "Say Hi" post, only to find it on page 47.  No one is ever going to read it there!  It looks at first glance like the oldest posts are listed first, at least on some threads.  Maybe it would be a good idea to switch the order in which they are posted so we can read the most current one? 

Either way, thanks for the opportunity!

B

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #355 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
I just signed up and posted a "Say Hi" post, only to find it on page 47.  No one is ever going to read it there!

Don't assume, it's impolite. Responses in long threads still get read and responded to in this community. :)

That said, the intro thread is really only meant to be a place to say hi and briefly introduce yourself. If you want a case study done (as it appears you're kind of on the edge of doing), it needs to be posted as a new topic in the Ask a Mustachian sub-board, and it will greatly help not just yourself but everyone else seeking to help if you read the guidelines on how to post a case study first. If a case study isn't entirely what you're after, you might also consider starting a journal as well.... or do both!

I would also highly recommend you give all the sticky threads (the orange ones) in the Forum Information & FAQs board here a read as well. To that end, you should give all the stickied threads throughout all the boards a read as you may find many useful bits scattered about.

It looks at first glance like the oldest posts are listed first, at least on some threads.  Maybe it would be a good idea to switch the order in which they are posted so we can read the most current one? 

This is a user preference thing if you really want to roll that way.

Profile > Look and Layout > (x) Show most recent posts at the top.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:06:43 PM by I.P. Daley »

livrocentral

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Marketplace for Mustachian businesses?
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
It seems like the Marketplace forum is generally intended for person-to-person transactions rather than advertising business services. Assuming that is correct, would there be interest in a separate forum topic where Mustachians could advertise their business ventures to other willing Mustachians? I assume many are business owners and those services might be of interest to others.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »
That subforum is already tiny and really slow... Wouldn't splitting it in two make it really tiny and really slow?

Vanchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:12 AM »
The was a suggestion a few pages back of a "Sidehustle" subforum or category- did that happen? I'm on the hunt :)

Many thanks.....

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
The forum configurations should be modified to restrict the ability of a user to delete an entire thread if another user has also posted in that thread.

I already started a stand-alone thread about this issue, but, as discussed in that thread, I'm having trouble getting this suggestion taken under consideration by whoever is the appropriate person or group of people to take it under consideration, so now I'm posting it here to give that a try.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
The forum configurations should be modified to restrict the ability of a user to delete an entire thread if another user has also posted in that thread.

I already started a stand-alone thread about this issue, but, as discussed in that thread, I'm having trouble getting this suggestion taken under consideration by whoever is the appropriate person or group of people to take it under consideration, so now I'm posting it here to give that a try.

Very much agreed.  Some valuable information has been lost because of OPs getting to delete an entire thread. 

kittrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
Count me in on that. Hope it gets considered soon.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
MOD NOTE: That change has been made.  See brooklynguy's link for more information.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »
I'm not sure if this has already been suggested (my attempts at searches in the forum keep timing out or not working), but would it be possible to make the forum threads more mobile-friendly?  Larger text, optimized for smaller screens?  I'm often reading on my phone and everything shows up super tiny -- and no "reader view" is available (it is for the blog, which makes it much more mobile-reader-friendly).  I'm not a tech person so have no idea how hard this is, but wanted to throw it out there!  Thanks for maintaining the forum, it's an incredible resource and community!!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #364 on: January 28, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »
Bottom of the page where it says WAP2.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?wap2

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2016, 04:09:21 AM »
I'm not sure if this has already been suggested (my attempts at searches in the forum keep timing out or not working), but would it be possible to make the forum threads more mobile-friendly?  Larger text, optimized for smaller screens?  I'm often reading on my phone and everything shows up super tiny -- and no "reader view" is available (it is for the blog, which makes it much more mobile-reader-friendly).  I'm not a tech person so have no idea how hard this is, but wanted to throw it out there!  Thanks for maintaining the forum, it's an incredible resource and community!!

I access the forums on my phone using the Tapatalk app, but otherwise there's WAP2 as per Daley's link.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
Bottom of the page where it says WAP2.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?wap2

Thank you, thank you! Had no idea that was lurking down there.  Works great on my phone.  Will also look into Tapatalk too, per alsoknownasDean's suggestion. 

scottyinco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
I'd love to see a different CAPTCHA used during registration.  I couldn't make out half the letters and had to have it read them to me!  That's never happened to me before... so I'm thinking it might be dialed in a bit too tight (or is just poorly implemented).

Just tossing it out there!

I had the same issue trying to create an account today.  I couldn't make out the letters and then it would never read it to me, either.  Took about 15 tries to get one that I got right.  And I just had my eyes checked, and they're good. :)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
I've an idea: Automobile Forum.

It seems there is a new  automobile thread every day and it might benefit people looking for the perfect car to have all the car threads in one place to compare. Also it might be a great place for people to discuss repairs, mods, or hacks relating to automobiles. I think a specific section would flourish and encourage discussion and growth that might easily be lost in some of the bigger forum sections (General, Ask A Mustachian, etc.)
I came over to this post to suggest almost exactly the same thing, but with a twist. Would it be possible to divide the DIY section into sub-topics? Automotive, home improvement, landscaping/gardening, etc.?

I have found myself looking on here for mustachian alternatives to auto advice found on car forums (a lot of people on the auto forums I follow have the "throw money at it until it works/goes fast" mentality), but have to dig through pages and pages of other DIY projects before finding something remotely similar.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 22, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »

I'm still scratching my head as to why this hasn't been done. It doesn't even have to be so elaborate - just implement a "Like" button". It's so useful as it prevents other people from quoting and posting basically the same message over and over when they agree with it.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: June 28, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »

I'm still scratching my head as to why this hasn't been done. It doesn't even have to be so elaborate - just implement a "Like" button". It's so useful as it prevents other people from quoting and posting basically the same message over and over when they agree with it.

If the whole purpose is solely to organize posts that you like then just use bookmarks in your browser of choice. Like buttons just encourage or exacerbate the echo chamber effect and doesn't provide a value.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »
Is there any way to add a thread to a personal watch list or something?  I've been posting just to follow a thread like I see some people doing, but if there's a way to follow without cluttering up the thread I'd like to do that. 

If that doesn't exist, how hard would it be to add as a feature?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
Is there any way to add a thread to a personal watch list or something?  I've been posting just to follow a thread like I see some people doing, but if there's a way to follow without cluttering up the thread I'd like to do that. 

You see that "Notify" button near the top and bottom right of the page next to "Reply"? There you go.

Settings in your profile for this feature are here.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:07:02 AM by I.P. Daley »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »

You see that "Notify" button near the top and bottom right of the page next to "Reply"? There you go.

Thanks. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »

I've been using this idea, but it doesn't seem that great to be honest.  For one thing I'd like to be able to turn emails off.  Also, you have to drill down so far to get to it.  Are there any other options? 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2016, 05:31:38 AM »

I've been using this idea, but it doesn't seem that great to be honest.  For one thing I'd like to be able to turn emails off.  Also, you have to drill down so far to get to it.  Are there any other options? 

Did you look at the settings that I.P. posted?

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
Not sure if this has been suggested already, but it'd be great if there were a way to look at recent posts and filter out the "Journals" ones.  I follow the journals I'm interested in and prefer to be able to look at a list of active threads of specific topics being discussed.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
Not sure if this has been suggested already, but it'd be great if there were a way to look at recent posts and filter out the "Journals" ones.  I follow the journals I'm interested in and prefer to be able to look at a list of active threads of specific topics being discussed.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/show-unread-posts-without-journals/

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #378 on: May 12, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »
Is there sufficient interest to perhaps have a new forum under the Money Mustache Community are for those who discovered FIRE after 40? My post ( https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/are-there-other-folks-here-who-didn't-discover-fire-until-after-40/ ) got a bunch of responses and it seems like there's quite a few of us. I'd love to ask some specific questions for the over 40 crowd (SS stuff, pensions, health insurance, etc.) but it's hard to do it in a single thread as they're getting overlooked.

If there's not enough interest, no worries - I can always post questions like "For those over 40, blah blah blah".

Thanks!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
This may have already been brought up, but is there a mechanism to get people to split off a new threat when a tangent topic goes sailing down a rabbit hole and completely hijacks?

almcclur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
I haven't read through all the suggestions so I'm sorry if this was mentioned already, but..

Could we please have a LIKE button on posts? Or upvote, reddit-style?

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #381 on: January 25, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
MODS: Would you consider putting a Child Board under Investor Alley for Canadian Investors?

Thanks!

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:08 AM »
Thoughts on a stickied post for best checking/savings/money market/CDs?  There must be dozens if not hundreds of threads on this topic and it would be cool to see a thread always at the top in Investor Alley that has the latest and greatest on how Mustachians are getting a decent bang for their buck for short-to-medium term stashing.

Also, maybe the same thing for credit cards but I think the bank account is a bigger priority.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #383 on: September 11, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
Thoughts on a stickied post for best checking/savings/money market/CDs?
There is the link to "...consider one of these online banks: http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-interest/best-online-savings-accounts275921001" in the Investment Order sticky.  That may not fulfill everything desired, but perhaps addresses some of it.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: September 11, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
Thoughts on a stickied post for best checking/savings/money market/CDs?
There is the link to "...consider one of these online banks: http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-interest/best-online-savings-accounts275921001" in the Investment Order sticky.  That may not fulfill everything desired, but perhaps addresses some of it.
Thanks MDM.  That's a good site and along with Nerdwallet, rounds the bases pretty well.  Since that link is itself on a sticky, that is an indirect way to keep on top of it. 

Of course I'd prefer regular forum discussion on who is doing what and any pleasant surprises/unanticipated challenges that go along with opening/closing accounts that stays relevant but the links are adequate (provided they stay current).

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #385 on: April 30, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »
Suggestion: don't let users change their username's freely - that should require moderator approval.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
Not sure how unwieldy this would be (as I honestly don't know how prevalent mega backdoor Roths are) - but would it be helpful if we had a sticky post for knowing which large employers allow at least after-tax 401k contributions and possibly in-service distributions of these after-tax contributions?

I'm envisioning a table* of large companies (S&P 500 companies?), cities, large school districts, states, or any other large employer that have the mega backdoor Roth available to them.  It seems like this is something difficult to research on the outside but if we had forum members with experience doing so all in one place, it might be helpful?

* Perhaps five columns: one for #, one for employer name, one for state or geographic area in which this is occurring, one for ability to put checkmarks (or x marks, whatever) on whether the employer allows after-tax 401k contributions, and the last one for ability to put checkmarks on whether the employer allows in-service distributions of these after-tax contributions.  Possibly a 6th column to know the year in which it last happened just to try and keep up with policies.

Any follow-up post of someone with experience doing a mega backdoor Roth at a new company, city, school district, etc. would then be added to the table at the top.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: January 01, 2021, 03:31:28 AM »
This is probably one of those really obscure suggestions, but is there a way to change the Time Offset (in Profile - Look and Layout) to a list of time zones, ideally those by location?

The current Time Offset doesn't take changes due to daylight savings into account, at least on the client end and possibly the server end.

I've just updated mine and the timestamp on posts has just moved two hours ahead :)

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #388 on: January 18, 2023, 11:29:08 PM »
Any thought put towards upgrading this forum to Xenforo?

Yes it's not free but it's much better on mobile and I'm on my phone most of the time now. :) This site is really hard to use in my phone.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
Any thought put towards upgrading this forum to Xenforo?

Yes it's not free but it's much better on mobile and I'm on my phone most of the time now. :) This site is really hard to use in my phone.

To be fair to everyone involved, asking to change and migrate an entire forum with the size and history this has to an entirely different system is kind of a really big ask.

The default SMF theme that's set here isn't great on mobile, but there are other themes installed on this instance that are considerably more mobile friendly.

Go here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?area=theme
Or manually navigate to Profile > Look and Layout

Change the forum theme to something like SunRise, which has both a light and dark mode and an excellent responsive design layout, and reasonably large and intuitive finger pokey UI elements... mostly. Except for the ham-handed ad layout that still breaks horizontal scroll, but that's a whole other kettle of fish and a far more reasonable bug/feature request to make to whomever's actually doing the sysadmin stuff these days. That should help things quite a bit.

And if you're still not satisfied with that, you can always go ultra old-skool with SMF's old mobile WAP2 interface, which has the added benefit of excising all images and using very little data:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?wap2

Hope that helps.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: January 19, 2023, 10:30:59 AM »
Is Tapatalk still a thing with this forum? An app that allows more mobile friendly experience.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #391 on: January 19, 2023, 12:12:06 PM »
Yeah, Tapatalk is still around, although the ad load has gotten pretty heavy.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: January 19, 2023, 01:16:09 PM »
Wow - that wap2 actually I really like - thanks for that Daley!

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #393 on: January 19, 2023, 01:52:16 PM »

To be fair to everyone involved, asking to change and migrate an entire forum with the size and history this has to an entirely different system is kind of a really big ask.

Hey it was just a question - it wasn't a you must to this. Ha. This forum software is so old but it still works I guess. I'll check out those other styles.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #394 on: January 19, 2023, 01:54:53 PM »
Oh Sunrise is much better. Thank u!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #395 on: January 19, 2023, 03:09:56 PM »
Wow - that wap2 actually I really like - thanks for that Daley!

Yup, yup.

Oh Sunrise is much better. Thank u!

You bet. Amazing how much a theme can impact modern mobile accessibility. Still doesn't exactly fix the deep nested quote issue, but that's more of a community culture problem than technical.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: February 06, 2023, 12:34:27 PM »
I just had a thought that might help better deal with the whole people joining just to argue in the Off Topic section that might actually help reduce or eliminate the need for a post-count to participate.

Make the Off Topic section registered user readable only, like the Journals are.

Just a thought. Don't know who to tag anymore for a change like this, though.