Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299692 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
I know the mods are already busy, but could we get some Bogleheads Forum-style moderation on topic titles? Very vague titles don't tell forum readers what to expect. Looking at the Recent Unread Posts we have...

• Am i worrying too much w/o reason?
  • Advise me please
  • Are you making a mistake
  • Newbie Needs Help

These could be made more useful by adding text in brackets, like so:

• Am i worrying too much w/o reason? [Differing values with spouse]
  • Advise me please [Investment Allocation]
  • Are you making a mistake [Home Mortgage Payoff]
  • Newbie Needs Help [Choosing Funds]

Thoughts?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
I know the mods are already busy, but could we get some Bogleheads Forum-style moderation on topic titles? Very vague titles don't tell forum readers what to expect. Looking at the Recent Unread Posts we have...

• Advise me please
  • Newbie Needs Help

Thoughts?
Some of us appreciate this forum for its free-wheeling, anarchic, chaotic, and lightly moderated style.  I think that few things inhibit posters more than a long list of format requirements.  After years of being a moderator, I'm also convinced that the less moderating done by moderators leads to a better forum for everyone.  I'd hate to be assigned as the "Moderator In Charge Of Explaining Cryptic Titles", and I'd certainly object to moderators helpfully clarifying my carefully-crafted ledes.

If I wanted more Bogleheads Forum-style moderation on topic titles then I'd do all my reading at the Bogleheads forum.

Once again, this type of suggestion is like going over to your buddy's house to watch the game, sitting on their couch imbibing their frosty beverages and hors d'oeuvre, looking around the room, and saying "Y'know, this place would be a lot nicer if you straightened it up and labeled everything so that I could figure out what it means."

But that's just my opinion. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2015, 11:20:27 AM »

• Advise me please
  • Newbie Needs Help

Thoughts?
Some of us appreciate this forum for its free-wheeling, anarchic, chaotic, and lightly moderated style.  I think that few things inhibit posters more than a long list of format requirements.  After years of being a moderator, I'm also convinced that the less moderating done by moderators leads to a better forum for everyone.  I'd hate to be assigned as the "Moderator In Charge Of Explaining Cryptic Titles", and I'd certainly object to moderators helpfully clarifying my carefully-crafted ledes.

If I wanted more Bogleheads Forum-style moderation on topic titles then I'd do all my reading at the Bogleheads forum.

Once again, this type of suggestion is like going over to your buddy's house to watch the game, sitting on their couch imbibing their frosty beverages and hors d'oeuvre, looking around the room, and saying "Y'know, this place would be a lot nicer if you straightened it up and labeled everything so that I could figure out what it means."

But that's just my opinion.

I have to agree, some of the appeal with this forum is the fairly hands off approach. I'm sure not everyone sees it that way but IMO keeping the rules simple is good for the diversity you see even if it comes with some confusion.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
Please consider: Sub Forum for People who are FIRE
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »
Moderator, Can you *please* consider adding a subforum category for people who are already FIRE.  I posted this idea on the general forum and received several positive responses about doing this. People who are FIRE often have new unexpected issues arise, and it's hard to dig through all the regular comments to locate FIRE people.  I compare it to going on a diet: Everyone is there to support you until you reach your goal, but then everyone assumes you don't need help anymore.

Here are just a few supportive comments I received:

• "I think it would be motivational to the waiting-to-FIRE population to see the already-FIREd community grow, rather than just see them disappear."

• "I have also struggled to fit in to the forum after I hit FI.  There is so much tactical talk about 'what you did to save money', but not strategic talk like what are the pros and cons of RE (especially if you have young kids, your spouse works, etc.)."

•" I get no sympathy when trying to bring up challenges in FI. "

• "I find the FI has left me in a state without direction and a bit confused."

•" I know sometimes I feel like I should be on another forum since I'm already FIRE'd."

•"If the FIREd community isn't large enough to support its own sub-forum, maybe that community will presumably grow with time."

• "As I become more solidly FI and move towards RE, I find myself less interested in "tactics" level topics (make your own soap) and am mostly interested in "strategy" level posts (best place to retire, how to transition, etc.) "

• "If I was newly-FIREd, I'm pretty sure I'd start spending more time on that sub-forum. "

• "Having an FI category is certainly a better option than "oh, you're FIREd? Sorry you don't fit in so much here anymore, you might want to move over to early-retirement.org"

To read the whole string of comments see: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/is-there-a-group-on-this-forum-for-people-that-achieved-fi/new/?topicseen#new

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

• Advise me please
  • Newbie Needs Help

Thoughts?

yeah I'm pretty against this
I read another forum where a topic will be locked if it doesn't have a descriptive enough title and it's a shitshow
and I don't want to rewrite everyone's topics for them

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Please consider: Sub Forum for People who are FIRE
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
Moderator, Can you *please* consider adding a subforum category for people who are already FIRE.  I posted this idea on the general forum and received several positive responses about doing this. People who are FIRE often have new unexpected issues arise, and it's hard to dig through all the regular comments to locate FIRE people.  I compare it to going on a diet: Everyone is there to support you until you reach your goal, but then everyone assumes you don't need help anymore.

• "I think it would be motivational to the waiting-to-FIRE population to see the already-FIREd community grow, rather than just see them disappear."

• "I have also struggled to fit in to the forum after I hit FI.  There is so much tactical talk about 'what you did to save money', but not strategic talk like what are the pros and cons of RE (especially if you have young kids, your spouse works, etc.)."

•" I know sometimes I feel like I should be on another forum since I'm already FIRE'd."

•"If the FIREd community isn't large enough to support its own sub-forum, maybe that community will presumably grow with time."

• "As I become more solidly FI and move towards RE, I find myself less interested in "tactics" level topics (make your own soap) and am mostly interested in "strategy" level posts (best place to retire, how to transition, etc.) "

• "If I was newly-FIREd, I'm pretty sure I'd start spending more time on that sub-forum. "

• "Having an FI category is certainly a better option than "oh, you're FIREd? Sorry you don't fit in so much here anymore, you might want to move over to early-retirement.org"

To read the whole string of comments see: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/is-there-a-group-on-this-forum-for-people-that-achieved-fi/new/?topicseen#new

see other responses to requests for subforums. If there is not enough volume to support it, it's not happening. Perhaps when we have more retirees here.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
Re: Please consider: Sub Forum for People who are FIRE
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »

see other responses to requests for subforums. If there is not enough volume to support it, it's not happening. Perhaps when we have more retirees here.
I'm already FIRE, and I'd be happy to be able to just check the threads in a forum about "the good problems to have when you're FIRE".

One of the reasons that I'm not on here every day is because over 200 threads are updated here every day.  While I may be FIRE, I'm also busy with other things.  By the time I realize it's been a few days, there are 800 threads for me to page through instead of just one sub-forum.

Jeremy & Winnie at GoCurryCracker, RootofGood, Arebelspy... I'm sure I'm overlooking a dozen other FIRE posters.

And before any of the moderators start grumbling about the additional work of adding a subforum, let's remember that I agree that moderators should not be made to edit thread titles for clarity.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
Nifty.  Just made the second post to the new post-fire forum.  Arebelspy, did you pull the plug and retire officially? Or you're the FI part of FIRE?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
Nifty.  Just made the second post to the new post-fire forum.  Arebelspy, did you pull the plug and retire officially? Or you're the FI part of FIRE?

The latter.  The former is imminent.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JohnnyDollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
I would be interested in more boglish terms of service to keep the forums on topic.  Freewheeling is one thing but IMHO the signal to noise ratio is dropping.   Perhaps a 'mute poster' feature, or some strictly moderated areas and a way to filter out the off topic category?  maybe moving 'off topic' to a separate category which we can ignore in toto would work.

Personally I tend to moderate with a heavy hand, but if irrelevant persistent and inflammatory is part of the culture ,  let's at least make it easy to filter out.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/
Thanks. 

Now we can put up or go back to the previous arrangements...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/
Thanks. 

Now we can put up or go back to the previous arrangements...

Indeed. If there's not much activity, I'll likely just re-sort those threads into the other appropriate subforums and remove that one to reduce the clutter. I'm still not sure of the need, but I'm fine giving it a trial run.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »
The latter.  The former is imminent.

Awesome!  Congrats!  Now you can hang out in the FIRE social club forum (that's what the new subforum is for, right?).  Nords is in charge of bringing the weather. 

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
I would really like to see a sticky that would give you some definitions of some of the common abbreviations.

I keep seeing FIRE and DH used and a few other without knowing what they mean.

I've figured out FIRE stands for Financial Independent Retired Early, but for the life of me DH escapes my best guesses. I under stand it means spouse but I'd still like to know what the acronym stands for.

I think having this would help people new to this forum and new to FIRE in general.

I agree.  It took me forever to figure out SAHM (stay at home mom) and I have no clue what OMY is.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
I agree.  It took me forever to figure out SAHM (stay at home mom) and I have no clue what OMY is.

One More Year (referring to those who really are FI but don't believe it and decide to work just OMY...).

See http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/acronyms-on-these-forums/ and links therein (particularly http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/frequently-asked-questions/ and http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html).

Good luck!

kittrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
OMY - New acronym for me this early of the year. :)

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2015, 08:00:54 AM »
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but is there any way to have an "ignore all posts by this user" function?

One of my other forums has it, and it makes life SO much easier when I really dislike someone's writing style/attitude/consistent lack of relevant input/etc. This forum is lightly moderated so some subtle trolls pop up, and it has made it very hard to visit the forum when one of them gets active and starts posting in tons of threads. Since I try not to feed the trolls (and would only make things worse by responding), I take a hiatus when that happens, but it'd be really nice to be able to hide all their posts.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but is there any way to have an "ignore all posts by this user" function?

See attached.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:16:17 AM by I.P. Daley »

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »
Oh, thank you. That's a lot more hidden than I'm used to.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Oh, thank you. That's a lot more hidden than I'm used to.

It is a touch, but it's there. :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:16 PM »
I feel so vicariously helpful! I'm counting this as my good turn for the day!

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
Thanks so much to all of you for this great community and for keeping it running!! I haven't checked in in ages and it's nice to see that this thread is still going and stuff is being taken care of without me. We really really really appreciate it. Thank you!

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2015, 01:17:17 AM »
Moderating depends a lot of the purpose of the forum. Another busy forum I'm on (for expats in Germany) the same questions get asked so often that they highly encourage you to search and add to existing threads as there is so much relevant information.

As Ms MM said this is more like a noisy bar and both ways have their advantages

One change you could implement is to allow members to edit titles.
Two is would be really nice to encourage people to not excessively quote, it only takes a moment to clean up a post, see what I just posted below. 

Thanks so much to all of you for this great community and for keeping it running!! I haven't checked in in ages

I see you have a life eh, unlike some of us:)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »
One change you could implement is to allow members to edit titles.
Do you mean thread titles or user categories? Members can already edit the titles of threads they created.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »
Should the "Post-FIRE" subforum have a "Welcome to the FIRE Club" sticky thread, where new early retirees can announce their arrival to FIRE status?  I guess there's no reason we can't stick to the pattern of having each person start a new thread (or piggyback on someone else's) to make their FIRE declaration as long as the flow of new retirees remains relatively low, but hopefully one day that trickle will turn into a flood.  And it seems appropriate to have a one-stop-shop for FIRE announcements.

rpr

« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
At the top of each page we have:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Is it also possible to have the following?

Show all threads
Show all threads in which I have participated

This would list all topics (whether read or unread) from all sub-forums.

Thanks.

Little Benny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
I searched a bit to see if we had something on this, and the closest I could get was the Mustachians around the web section.  What about a Mustachian siting section?  I like on the south side of the Denver Metro area and yesterday I saw TWO separate cyclists riding on my way home from work.  It was about 16 degrees out and the wind was blowing the blizzard like snow completely sideways.  I wanted to get out of my comfy old CRV and ask them if they were Mustachians!!!!  Badasses, for sure.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »

Little Benny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
Very cool, there's a Stasher close to me.  I was thinking more about a space where we could congratulate people we witnessed exhibiting Stashy behavior (although not often easy to see).  No worries, just a thought from a newbie.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
I wonder if some sort of country-specific investing subforums might make sense. I see a lot of Canadians and Australians talking about their own special tax-minimization investment strategies. This is great, of course, but I know nothing about superannuation plans, RRSPs, etc., and don't want have to skim past threads discussing them. Just the same, I'm sure the folks in other countries would like to be able to avoid clicking into threads only to find that it's yet another American asking about how to best use a Roth IRA.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »
This must be a programming suggestion - the other forum I read (a mommy site, essentially) has a feature that when you click on a post you've already read, it automatically takes you to the last post since you've opened the thread.  It is AWESOME, especially for reading some longer threads or checking in on one you haven't looked at for a while.  Any chances of something like that here?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Any chances of something like that here?

Click on the orange [NEW] button after the title listing.

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
Cool, thank you!  :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »
Nope, but you could start a thread with what you're looking for and people might be able to suggest some.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »
Thanks arebelspy, I will. I am always hesitant to start a thread as it seems that almost everything I think to ask has been answered somewhere else already. Often the trouble is finding it, as the search always gives me an error (I think it's just my computer, but it happens every time).

If it's a specific "I'd like to read journals or blogs of people who are in situation X, Y, and Z, can you suggest any?" that probably hasn't been asked before.  :)

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
I don't know if there's actually enough interest in this to make it worthwhile, but I'very been looking at the post-fire sub-forum and wishing there was a "within a year of fire" sub-forum. I feel like there's a lot of us around here.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
New button in the post reply screen? New button in the post reply screen!

Spoiler: show
Yay spoilers!

Thanks, Rebs. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
Thanks kworthington for the install and I.P. for the suggestion/reminder.  :)

Also great use of new tags:

Bleeping out the

awesome words.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2015, 11:35:20 AM »
Bleeping out the

awesome words.

Redaction, in my posts?

?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
Are there statistics available that (quantitatively) address the issues noted in http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-is-very-erratic-lately/?

If so it "would be interesting" to have them available - easy to say when someone else would have to do it, but still true.

Financial Planner Dude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: April 22, 2015, 01:48:20 AM »

A lot depends on what the feel of the forum is. I'm an expat in Germany and belong to another super popular forum Toy Town Germany and the moderators put in a huge effort to keep it clean and organized, but that’s because it’s more like a knowledge base than a chatty forum. The search function is the secret sause. For example I may search a specific tax question and usually it’s already been discussed so I will simply continue the thread.

Here’s a great example

Search doesn’t work as well here. I had some questions regarding board games so did a search found nothing started a new thread and then got complaints that it’s been discussed before, several times.

MMM feels more like a dinner conversation with a half dozen topics going on at the same time. But it doesn’t mean they can’t improve things

2 small steps which I think would make a HUGE difference

1. More sub forums - Investing Canada for example
2. Allow members to edit titles for clarity
3. Make inserting links easier
4. Ask people not to quote excessive - to me re quoting a 6 answer thread to add one line is way to excessive!!!!!

On number notice how I EDITED the quote, much clean

Second thing would be

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: April 22, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
2 small steps which I think would make a HUGE difference

1. More sub forums - Investing Canada for example
2. Allow members to edit titles for clarity
3. Make inserting links easier
4. Ask people not to quote excessive - to me re quoting a 6 answer thread to add one line is way to excessive!!!!!

On number notice how I EDITED the quote, much clean

Second thing would be

1. Too many subforms split conversations. But it is under consideration as the forum grows larger.
2. Already available. Edit the first post's title.
3. Already available. Click the url button. Or just paste in your link.
4. That's up to individual people. Most of us clean up our quotes. We're not going to police people who don't though.

I like how you said two small things, then listed four, then had a "second" thing that left us hanging. :)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
Are there statistics available that (quantitatively) address the issues noted in http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-is-very-erratic-lately/?

If so it "would be interesting" to have them available - easy to say when someone else would have to do it, but still true.

Bump.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2015, 08:05:57 AM »
Not that I know of.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
Small forum optimization suggestion.  Could the 2 links "show unread posts since last visit" and "show new replies to your post" be added at the bottom of each page?  When checking my threads, I get to the bottom of a given post then have to scroll back up to the top to get back to the new replies page.  Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have these links at both the bottom of each page to make things a bit quicker.  Especially when using a smartphone.

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: May 21, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »
A few folks over the past couple of years have offered the idea of favoriting posts, and it has generated interest from at least one moderator. I think favoriting alone could take the forum to the next level.

Favoriting would allow us to create a personal list of great posts tailored to our own interests and situations, as well as an aggregate list of everybody's favorite posts. As a user, I have found that it is hard for me to keep track of topics and posts I'm interested in, and it's also hard for me to find the gems of posts that are buried in the past 3 years of awesome content. I know there is value in hard work, but making this curated content easier to save and access has the potential improve the lives of many readers.

For example, www.metafilter.com does a good job of allowing members to favorite posts. They catalog favorites into personal favorites, most favorited of the past 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, and all time.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2015, 07:54:45 AM »
I have an idea where the forum doesn't go offline for 15 hours.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #349 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
May not be possible... but how about: number of posts shouldn't include journal section. I think there's a difference between interacting with the forum and writing hundreds of posts about yourself (especially if it's heavy-handed on personal stuff). Although, I do know there is some useful conversation that happens over there!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!