Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299660 times)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »

Maybe the "Personals" forum could be changed to something like "Single and Mustachian" where single people could talk about topics pertaining to mustache-building on your own. 

I second this idea.

Third!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
Fourth!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »
Done.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
One can "Show unread posts since last visit" in the Forum.

Is there an analogous function, e.g. "Show all unread replies since last visit" for the Blog? 

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but forum searches for "new blog replies", etc. came up empty.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
You mean unread blog comments?  No, not to my knowledge.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
Yes, that's what I meant. 

Is this the best place to propose such a function?

I have great faith that it "could" be done by someone with enough skill, but don't know how difficult (or useful) it would be....

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »
Is there a way to save posts , not whole threads and favorite them for future reference? Thank you.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »
Is there a way to save posts , not whole threads and favorite them for future reference? Thank you.

Depending on your browser there should be a little star, or maybe a button that says "add bookmark" or something to that effect.  ;)

(If you click on the "subject" of that post, within the thread, it'll take you to a link that goes directly to that post - I.e. It loads the thread then jumps down the page to that post.  Then you can bookmark that.)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
Proposal:  Identify professional entities that are using the forum.

The forum is gaining some attention from investment firms, banks, wealth managers, whoever else as seen in recent threads, articles, and lawsuits.  The mods are trying to encourage civilized discussion with these entities.

One method I have seen other forums use is to Identify those users with tag, Like "Professional Entity" in place of magnum, handlebar etc.  Some forums have these firms pay for this right to be active on otherwise free forums.  Whether or not this would work or be accepted, I suppose thats up to the mods and the community.

I'd guess this has already been discussed among the mods, but in the chance that it has not I thought I would throw it out there.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »

The forum is gaining some attention from investment firms, banks, wealth managers, whoever else as seen in recent threads, articles, and lawsuits.  The mods are trying to encourage civilized discussion with these entities.

One method I have seen other forums use is to Identify those users with tag, Like "Professional Entity" in place of magnum, handlebar etc.  Some forums have these firms pay for this right to be active on otherwise free forums.  Whether or not this would work or be accepted, I suppose thats up to the mods and the community.

I'd guess this has already been discussed among the mods, but in the chance that it has not I thought I would throw it out there.

Really good idea. Copied your comments into a new MOD thread to be discussed :)

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

Only problem is...it seems most of the Professional Entities are hiding behind anonymity and shilling instead of promoting their product from the front.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
I doubt that anything can be done, but as I was browsing the forums, I noticed a relatively new forum member is already a "Senior Mustachian" by virtue of posting a crazy amount of stuff in a short amount of time.  Not that all of my posts are well thought out or incredibly relevant, but I've been here almost 2 years and I am Magnum whilst someone here 2 months is Senior.  I just think it would be nice if there was a way to add a time element to the rankings.   Not that I really care or that this matters.  First world problems...

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
FWIW, here are the current Top 10 in posts/day since registering:
Username Position Date Registered
MrCashHandlebar3/6/2014
soccerluvof4Senior Mustachian1/18/2014
frugalnachoBristles3/19/2014
arebelspyGlobal Moderator2/14/2012
ThegoblinchiefSenior Mustachian12/19/2013
warfreak2Magnum2/2/2014
oldtoyotaSenior Mustachian5/5/2013
JamesqfSenior Mustachian5/22/2012
phredHandlebar2/7/2014
SporkSenior Mustachian1/31/2013

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but there it is.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »
I didn't  read all the posts, so I apologize if this is a duplicate request. I think it would be be great having a spreadsheet/model forum for those who are Excel challenged. Course someone would need to review the examples being submitted since those needing/wanting spreadsheets wouldn't be able to ascertain accuracy.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »
Does that really need a whole forum rather than an individual thread if somebody has excel questions?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
FWIW, here are the current Top 10 in posts/day since registering:
Username Position Date Registered
MrCashHandlebar3/6/2014
soccerluvof4Senior Mustachian1/18/2014
frugalnachoBristles3/19/2014
arebelspyGlobal Moderator2/14/2012
ThegoblinchiefSenior Mustachian12/19/2013
warfreak2Magnum2/2/2014
oldtoyotaSenior Mustachian5/5/2013
JamesqfSenior Mustachian5/22/2012
phredHandlebar2/7/2014
SporkSenior Mustachian1/31/2013

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but there it is.

Where does one find such interesting stats? I poked around a bit but couldn't replicate this. Please enlighten me MDM, or MODS.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
Where does one find such interesting stats? I poked around a bit but couldn't replicate this. Please enlighten me MDM, or MODS.
Under Members, View the Memberlist.
1. Copy & paste the header info into Excel.
2. Select all the member information on the first page.  Copy and "paste special text" into Excel.
3. Go to the next memberlist page.
Repeat steps 2 & 3 until done.

Add a column in Excel with (e.g. for row 4) formula =K4/($L$1-J4), where col. K is Posts, col. J is Date Registered, and cell L1 is today's date.

Sort and filter to one's heart's content.

Chart showing the posts/day for the ~200 people who average at least 1 post/day:

List of those registered for at least 1 year and averaging 2.0 (rounded to the tenths) or higher:
arebelspy
Jamesqf
Spork
grantmeaname
dragoncar
Rural
Another Reader
GuitarStv
matchewed
mpbaker22
I.P. Daley
Meadow Lark
daverobev
brewer12345
tooqk4u22
Nords
Russ

No great surprises to anyone who has read the forums much :).

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
I was thinking it would be nice if the Excel gurus shared their spreadsheets so people (like me)could save them and plug in their own specific numbers. I've started collecting spreadsheets and models.

Does that really need a whole forum rather than an individual thread if somebody has excel questions?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
We should get a favicon. It's weird having a blank one. Some little mustache or some dollar signs?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
I was thinking it would be nice if the Excel gurus shared their spreadsheets so people (like me)could save them and plug in their own specific numbers. I've started collecting spreadsheets and models.

I did start a thread somewhere....ahh here it is

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/spreadsheet-collection/msg67067/#msg67067

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
We should get a favicon. It's weird having a blank one.
I thought that was the favicon.  Very Zen.  And these days, almost unique.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2014, 02:53:47 AM »
Here's a feature request: is it possible to make it so that search terms are included in the search url, such that I can search "abcde" and then paste some link to my search in a thread and let people look through the same articles I am?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
Here's a feature request: is it possible to make it so that search terms are included in the search url, such that I can search "abcde" and then paste some link to my search in a thread and let people look through the same articles I am?

Good idea.  Until then: how about a Google search with the url operator for the MMM site in it?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2014, 05:48:19 AM »
It can pull up whole pages but not individual posts, so I don't think it's a good substitute. It also can't search by user.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2014, 02:20:29 AM »
I don't remember where we ended up on this last time I brought it up, but I've noticed the forum cuts off URLs when it gets to quotation marks and dollar signs. Is there a reasonably simple fix for that?

There are a number of ways to really cut the cost of higher ed.  I posted an extensive thread on the subject here. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/college-education-the-$6000-bachelors-degree/msg115000/

To the OP......great job! I'm sure your parents must be proud of you, well done!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
the preview button. also fixes quote tags. /grump

I don't remember there being an actual solution to this, but maybe there is one now

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »
Just slap
Code: [Select]
[url][/url] around the link.  Or highlight the link and press the URL button.

But yes, it would be nice if that wasn't necessary and the forum software automatically fixed it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
I know this is a silly request but can we ask everyone to turn off the ridiculous "sent from my iphone" or "sent from my ipad using tapatalk" lines that seem to be infiltrating people's posts.

I don't care if you have typed up your spiel on an icrap* device. Don't feel the need to tell the world that you have.

thanks
Marty

* In a somewhat tragic twist of irony, I am writing this on a macbook.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
Has the idea of limiting picture sizes been discussed?  I did a brief search but could not find anything.  The way SMF handles large pictures in a thread is fairly clumsy.  I find it pretty annoying when people post 4288 X 2295 sized pictures that only half showup in the screen.  Yes they be viewed by scrolling, but when viewing something its nice to view the whole picture.

I've seen some forums that automatically resize to a size that fits the screen, but allows you to click on it again to view the full size.  Or other forums that just won't let you upload a picture if it is to large a size.

Just something I've thought about.  If this bothers no one else I will just have to deal. 

Thanks for reading.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
Has the idea of limiting picture sizes been discussed?  I did a brief search but could not find anything.  The way SMF handles large pictures in a thread is fairly clumsy.  I find it pretty annoying when people post 4288 X 2295 sized pictures that only half showup in the screen.  Yes they be viewed by scrolling, but when viewing something its nice to view the whole picture.

I've seen some forums that automatically resize to a size that fits the screen, but allows you to click on it again to view the full size.  Or other forums that just won't let you upload a picture if it is to large a size.

Just something I've thought about.  If this bothers no one else I will just have to deal. 

Thanks for reading.

Looks like some CSS could do it: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505050.0

Otherwise SMF may have a plugin or something.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
I would really like to see a "Thanks" button that allows others to thank someone for their post.  This is implemented in the ecomodder.com forum and works very well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
So say a person disappeared from the memberlist but all (or many) of their posts stuck around. Is that a temporary banhammer or a weird bug in the forum software?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: July 08, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
So say a person disappeared from the memberlist but all (or many) of their posts stuck around. Is that a temporary banhammer or a weird bug in the forum software?

If an account is deleted, it does not delete all of their posts.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »
I know. But I thought that you couldn't click the username to go to that person's profile.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2014, 06:49:28 PM »
I know. But I thought that you couldn't click the username to go to that person's profile.

Yeah, once that happens their name usually becomes unclickable, and they no longer have a profile.

I don't know why someone would still show up with a profile, but not be on the member list.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Hey, I'm hitting the character limit on the blogroll. Would it be possible to insert a new post in the #2 position or otherwise circumvent that limit? I've got the archived blogs at the end of the thread where they can be buried now, unfortunately.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
Hey, I'm hitting the character limit on the blogroll. Would it be possible to insert a new post in the #2 position or otherwise circumvent that limit? I've got the archived blogs at the end of the thread where they can be buried now, unfortunately.

I can't think of a way.  Even if I split everything after to a new post, then create a new second post in the thread, then re-merge it, it'll order it by time stamp, so now that new second post will move all the way to the end.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 05, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »
just take out all the vowels

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: August 05, 2014, 11:38:25 PM »
just take out all the vowels

It's proven that your mind fills them in anyways.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
jst tk t ll th vwls
t's prvn tht yr mnd flls thm n nws.
Thr w g,   fxd t fr y.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: August 10, 2014, 07:34:55 AM »
Forum Thread Hall of Fame
or
Mods Favorite Threads

We have a sticky thread for the best of MMM. Why not have one for the best of the forum?

In another thread Zelda01 linked to this: Our Mustachian Sacred Cows.

I hadn't seen this thread, and it was a great one. I'm sure there are hundreds of great ones out there I missed, particularly because I along with many other members were not around at the beginning of the forum.

Has anyone ever proposed or thought about this? Maybe we have  sticky thread, members nominate great old threads, and the mods can supervise, veto, add some of the best to a list somewhere??

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »
I'm an active member on another super popular forum and there are a few ideas that I think could be imported here.

1. Encourage and enable searching: how many times have the same questions been asked

2. Merging of threads: this is the number one thing that keeps Toy Town from spiralling out of control. See the text at the top of this post

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93207&view=findpost&p=3290634

3. Encourage the use of old threads, there are some threads on TT that date back to 2002 the founding of the board. For example Just noticed yesterday how many threads there are on real estate vs the stock market.

OK this one is a bit long at 68 pages but it's still going strong after 5 years

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279097&st=2025

3. More sub forums: 

- Real Estate and land lording can easily be split into regions US Canada/Australia/New Zealand rest of the world as a start. Since the US one one would be the most popular split further into specific interests

- DIY could be split according the specific areas again the more popular the more you can split it down

- Mustachian Marketplace: again by region

Again an example from TT

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/

This is a great forum but it's popularity is making it a bit unweildly.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:08:57 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:15 AM »
What is the proper way to insert a link, in other words, hide it behind text.

This blog software seems to use a funny method, googled it and nothing showed up.

Thanks

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »

What is the proper way to insert a link, in other words, hide it behind text.

This blog software seems to use a funny method, googled it and nothing showed up.

Thanks

You put [ url ] around a link (and / url to close it) and then after the first url put an equals sign and put the site and between the brackets put the text you want.

Since that won't make sense without an example:
This links to Google.

Click quote on this post (so you can see the code) and look at the above line. [ Url=link ] text [/ url ] (without the spaces).

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:34 AM »
As the website has grown in popluarity, there areof course lot's no new comers to the forum. We should welcome those with questions, and assign value to the posts of others with opinions.
That said, I also have to say the quality of imformation in the forum has declined sharply. For every awesome contributor like Sol or arebelspy, we now have a bunch of nonsense purveyors like Cathy and skyhigh. And these folks are dissemenating not only information that is contrary to the spirit of MMM (to me at least), but is often downright incorrect.  And they're profilific.
I understand that the point of all this is to communicate ideas to as many as possible, but is there no way to keep things from getting watered down?
Just musing, I guess.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
As the website has grown in popluarity, there areof course lot's no new comers to the forum. We should welcome those with questions, and assign value to the posts of others with opinions.
That said, I also have to say the quality of imformation in the forum has declined sharply. For every awesome contributor like Sol or arebelspy, we now have a bunch of nonsense purveyors like Cathy and skyhigh. And these folks are dissemenating not only information that is contrary to the spirit of MMM (to me at least), but is often downright incorrect.  And they're profilific.
I understand that the point of all this is to communicate ideas to as many as possible, but is there no way to keep things from getting watered down?
Just musing, I guess.
Thinking about this further, I suppose I shouldn't complain. I am, mostly, a consumer of this forum rather than a contributor.  And I think the only answer to the question I posed above is to drown out the nonsense with solid posts of my own, which I already know I'm not going to spend the time and effort to do...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
I think we all just need to keep our bullshit monitors on at all times. Don't base any actions solely on advice you get here, particularly if it's contrary to what others here have said.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
You may not like an individual's advice but the awesome thing about allowing people to say what they want is you get a plethora of ideas to choose from. As Cheddar Stacker says use some discretion in choosing what to listen to. There is also a block function if you don't like a person's posts. I have a few individuals on it and I'm sure I'm on others. :)