Author Topic: "Tagging"/Mentioning People  (Read 7293 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
"Tagging"/Mentioning People
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
MOD NOTE

Just added a forum plugin. You can now tag someone using the @ symbol (and then typing their username).

To see where you've been tagged, hover the mouse over "profile" in the upper navigation bar and you'll now see a "mentions" link (or you can bookmark this: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?area=mentions) that will show you when you've been tagged.

You can also check a box there to enable email notifications for when you've been tagged.

Cheers!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: "Tagging"/Mentioning People
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »
@helloworld

(S)he hasn't logged in in almost 3 years, and since I disabled email notifications by default, likely won't see this.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »
I love this function in other forums, super excited we have it here now! Thanks ARS :D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
Cool.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
Yay!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
Note: you need to use their full username.

@ars notifies someone else, not me, you need to type @arebelspy.

Doesn't work in Tapatalk, but it does in any normal browser (on a computer or phone or tablet)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:02:55 AM by arebelspy »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
Ahhh this is great! What a wonderful addition! \o/

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Thanks ARS! That seems like a really useful addition to the forums.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
I'm such a Luddite, I have no idea what this means, but yay anyway! Thanks, Rebs.

P.S. Do you ever sleep?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:24:49 AM »
I'm such a Luddite, I have no idea what this means, but yay anyway! Thanks, Rebs.

P.S. Do you ever sleep?

@Dicey

I do!

(Maybe this tag will help you see what it is for...imagine this in a thread you didn't know existed, and wasn't in your unread replies, but you see the number at the top by profile.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:26:58 AM by arebelspy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

P.S. Do you ever sleep?

@Dicey

I do!

(Maybe this tag will help you see what it is for...imagine this in a thread you didn't know existed, and wasn't in your unread replies, but you see the number at the top by profile.)
It worked! So this is a way to let someone know you've mentioned them in a post? What other applications does it have? Hopefully it isn't a tool for needling people. That could devolve pretty quickly.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Yes. Say you want someone to chime in, you can tag them, and they can pop in and read it and comment.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
Thanks!

Now, about that forum search feature (or lack thereof)...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
Thanks!

Now, about that forum search feature (or lack thereof)...

Have you read the sticky in this subforum?

I used the forum search earlier today...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
Yup, read it more than once. Problem is, I never remember it, so I have to look it every time I want to search something. I think the fact that people keep starting new threads, asking the same questions, is an indication that the search workaround is clunky.

This a free site and I'm super grateful it exists. OTOH, I am not really in the "seeking information" phase of FIRE. I hang around mostly to help. If the search feature were better, I think it would help more people access the treasure trove of valuable information/discussion/knowledge that exists in the archives.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
I think the fact that people keep starting new threads, asking the same questions, is an indication that the search workaround is clunky.

New people coming in and asking the same questions over and over is a part of the internet. It happens on every forum (FIRE or not, with a good search feature or not).

The search function could certainly be improved, but it won't stop new people from coming in and posting the same questions. :)

See: E-R.org as a simple, completely analogous example. :)

KindaichiShota

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »
This is great haha

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 01:26:49 AM »
Can I just say that I absolutely adore how quickly this has come to be termed the bat-signal?

How badass must it feel to be bat-signalled for your advanced Mustachioed skillz and swoop in and save the day with your used Honda or library ebook recommendations?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
I think the fact that people keep starting new threads, asking the same questions, is an indication that the search workaround is clunky.

New people coming in and asking the same questions over and over is a part of the internet. It happens on every forum (FIRE or not, with a good search feature or not).

The search function could certainly be improved, but it won't stop new people from coming in and posting the same questions. :)

I completely see and agree with your point. However, there is awesome reference material here that people, especially newbies (Welcome!), can't find. I am not saying that each question has only one answer which then must be repeated ad infinitum. We have a great library filled with terrific resources contributed by people with a wide range of experience,  but it's difficult to use.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »

I completely see and agree with your point. However, there is awesome reference material here that people, especially newbies (Welcome!), can't find. I am not saying that each question has only one answer which then must be repeated ad infinitum. We have a great library filled with terrific resources contributed by people with a wide range of experience,  but it's difficult to use.

Definitely with Dicey on this one. There are workarounds for the forum search problem, but fixing it is still a necessity.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
Can I just say that I absolutely adore how quickly this has come to be termed the bat-signal?

How badass must it feel to be bat-signalled for your advanced Mustachioed skillz and swoop in and save the day with your used Honda or library ebook recommendations?

+1 @grantmeaname