Author Topic: Would Like to Start a Tech Business, Where Should I Start?  (Read 2115 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Would Like to Start a Tech Business, Where Should I Start?
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
I have been interested in getting into tech for a long time but am unsure what is the best path to take/ type of business would be ideal, has anyone done this or have any advice?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Would Like to Start a Tech Business, Where Should I Start?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »
You're going to have to be much more specific to get some replies. What kind of "tech"? Build satellites to launch into space or make an app that tells you what kind of wine to drink with swiss cheese?

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:46:10 AM »
Starting a SaaS company is trendy, but quite of few of them really shouldn't exist. A majority aren't profitable and may never be profitable. The reasons are ridiculously high customer acquisition costs and pointless feature arms races. People have completely lost sight of how risky funding driven growth models really are.

Do yourself a favor and start an online services company helping others utilize tech. The profit margins are much higher.

Severian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
I have been interested in getting into tech for a long time but am unsure what is the best path to take/ type of business would be ideal, has anyone done this or have any advice?

Do you have any experience or expertise? I've been pretty successful at times running a small software consultancy (and less successful at other times,) but I had a few years of school and a decade of experience behind me, and I was known for my skill in certain niche areas, which attracted clients.

"Tech" is an appealing area at first glance, as there's money to be made in it. But it takes the better part of a decade of work in the field to be skilled enough that you have something more to offer than everyone else who thinks tech looks appealing.

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:13:21 PM »
Do you have any entrepreneur experience? The first thing you need to do in most enterprises is figure out who you’d like your ideal customer to be and then figure out a problem they have that you can solve.

If you want to be in tech, find out who uses the tech first and go from there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!