Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 509413 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
I would have tried sperm donation, but my wife wouldn't let me, and now that ship has sailed!

Your wife is gone? Or your sperm is gone?

Snip, snip!

Jesus Christ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
Random thoughts -
Give psychic readings as a fortune teller.
Rent boats or jet skis to people off Craigslist if you live near the water.
Be a charter fish boat guide or do Boat detailing/buffing.
Buy a large box truck or flat bed truck and put large billboard signs on it and drive around town in circles for money.
Start a business organizing "sign walkers" who hold signs on the side of the road advertising a local business. Just  get the people from the temporary staffing agency.
Get a truck and haul away bulky stuff for people

richmadethis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
I sell digital cross stitch patterns on Etsy, currently have around 50 patterns up there, I make around $50-60 a month after expenses, with very little effort after designing the patterns: customers upon purchasing download the patterns directly from Etsy. Now, I've finished part time study, I want to design more (I like the design process, I can spend hours designing a pattern) and I will make a concerted effort to actually promote them.

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2015, 01:24:43 AM »
I'm living and working in the Czech Republic and I have 1-hour conversational lessons after my normal job.
Each lesson I charge around $13 and I have around 6/7 lessons a week.
I've been doing this since March 2014 and to this day I am still amazed that people will actually pay me just to speak with them - all thanks to me being a native English speaker:-)

This kind of work can make a lot of money in China. I usually make 200-300 yuan an hour, which at 6.1yuan=1dollar is about 32.80 an hour to 49.20 an hour doing tutoring, pronunciation work, reading novels and talking about them with students.

For money tutoring, its hard to beat mainland China right now. I live in a 3rd tier city. In Shanghai or Beijing Im sure more could be made if the person was good at it.

johnstein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
My side gig is working as a gigolo..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:37:47 AM by johnstein »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »
I'm sure somebody else has mentioned this "gig" before considering how long this thread is, but I chase credit card and bank signup bonuses. I'm projecting ~$1k in bank bonuses this year. I'm getting $444.44 in cc bonuses so far, not sure which ones I'll apply for next.

EDIT: Here's one you can do on an incredibly small scale that I know some people will not deem worth it: some credit card issuers such as Barclaycard and Capital One will waive cc balances of less than $1. So I let my statements close with $0.99 on them and "earn" 99 cents.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:39:27 AM by johnny847 »

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
Got my first payment from my new side gig as a Sittercity Date Night Sitter yesterday, and I didn't even have to work!

The way the system works is that you indicate your availability for the week, and then if you are not booked by 3 pm on the day you said you were available, you get a payment just for holding your availability! It's $25 for a Thursday or a Sunday, $55 for a Friday or Saturday. I made an easy 25 bucks doing nothing! We'll see what happens if I actually get a babysitting gig off this, but for now it's working pretty well for me :)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Got my first payment from my new side gig as a Sittercity Date Night Sitter yesterday, and I didn't even have to work!

The way the system works is that you indicate your availability for the week, and then if you are not booked by 3 pm on the day you said you were available, you get a payment just for holding your availability! It's $25 for a Thursday or a Sunday, $55 for a Friday or Saturday. I made an easy 25 bucks doing nothing! We'll see what happens if I actually get a babysitting gig off this, but for now it's working pretty well for me :)

That is great to know!  I've been planning to sign up for date night sitting when I moved from the mountains down into town, but I had no idea that the system worked like that!

I'm not a party people, so keeping my Thur-Sun open is easy peasy.

ormaybemidgets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
I was excited too! But it's NY and Chicago only... http://datenight.sittercity.com/guarantees/

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: May 02, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
Just started soccer refereeing a few weekends ago. Starting to get up to $300 a weekend already. Double gain as I am getting exercise.

perummm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
I just started this one... Brand Ambassador for a major scotch whisky brand... 40 hours a month, pays the same as my full time professional job (same cash, 1/4 of the hours)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #411 on: July 18, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
I just started this one... Brand Ambassador for a major scotch whisky brand... 40 hours a month, pays the same as my full time professional job (same cash, 1/4 of the hours)

I am pretty sure I could totally do this.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: July 19, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »

I am pretty sure I could totally do this.

They're awesome gigs where I do them (not sure about theirs?) as they are 3-4 hours on average, you get to live pour some places so you get to let them taste it, and some companies even pay a bonus for high sales...mine doesn't but by selling out most gigs you end up being the go to person for them and get more bookings. No boss, no one hanging over your shoulder squawking at you...just fun.

Sooo  bummed my present ridiculous 'real' job is interfering with these gigs. But I know it's only for 2 more years....but they feel like dog years right now.

Best side gig, ever, imho.

Sukotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #413 on: July 19, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
This will probably be very different from regular posts on this thread but I'm an artist and content creator for the Dota 2 Workshop. For those unfamiliar, Dota 2 is a MOBA(multiplayer online battle arena) game made by Valve, creators of Steam, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Left4Dead and Half-Life. It has millions of players all over the world and is a competitive gaming giant like League of Legends.

Dota 2 is a Free to Play game where most revenue comes from in-game purchases for cosmetic items for your character like different armor/clothing/weapons.  The Workshop is an online space where artists can create said items and potentially get added to the in-game store. Valve takes 75% of the revenue of the item sales though.

I started about 2 years ago, but I've only gotten one item in the game and have been feverishly working to get more but I've slowed down a lot in the past year or so. The one item I did get in was in a chest(with other items) that was $2.49 to open for The International, Dota 2's biggest tournament. It was a helmet model for a character that I spent maybe 8 hours total on. That said, under the new Steam agreement, I'm not allowed to disclose exact numbers but I made a little over 4 figures off of one item.  There are a lot more successful artists doing this full-time and raking in the money generating a big stache.

I've been looking in to other projects to make money off of like the Unity and Unreal Asset store and other in-game content economies too.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »
As an avid dota 2 player who has never paid a penny for the game or the countless hours I pour into it I thank you for making the content that keeps the entire operation running. I do somewhat less endorsed RMT in a few other online games and it looks like it may actually be sufficient to cover the majority of my living expenses. A childhood wasted apparently has some upsides.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »

Sweet. Where did you find that? Did you know someone who already did it, or apply / get hired through something?

perummm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
@traiskat : I met the Brand Manager during an event, and they were looking for someone with my personality ;) Obvioulsy, the Somm degree helped.

@The_path_less_taken:  Exactly, 3-4 hours on average, just pour and talk about the Brand.. no sales, just a very high per hour pay... I also hate when my "real" job gets in the way and I have to make excuses...

Wife says that we could easily live on about 50% of what the side gig brings in... but the feeling you get when you are saving about 75% of your pay is just awesome!!!!!

5 more years baby!!!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2015, 06:21:34 PM »
eBay - unwanted things around the house or cast-offs from friends and family = $300-$500/yr.

Design work - my husband picks up a couple of freelance design jobs (a skill and hobby, not his profession) throughout the year, at about $250/hour = $1500/yr.

Extra work - neither of us earns overtime, but we occasionally have the opportunity to take on special projects for extra income = $500-$1000/year.

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »
I've been a driver for Uber for a few months now.  Making good $$.  Depends on how many days I do it.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
I've been a driver for Uber for a few months now.  Making good $$.  Depends on how many days I do it.
Can you share more details? Fees to be a driver?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #420 on: August 05, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
I re-sell a lot of things on eBay (a little Amazon). I blog about it over at FlippingADollar.com. I've had over 20k in sales on eBay since 2010.That translates to 10k profits. Most of that is in the past 3 years. I've barely broken the $200 mark on my blog, but it's a slow process.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
I can't do it because it is a conflict of interest with my current job, but I got my husband into freelance educational assessment editing. He verifies test items for science content; the minimum qualification was a PhD though.

My previous job always needed freelance writers for people who held "real world jobs" (don't get me into the fact that they considered anyone who was a professional writer, editor, or a teacher to have a "fake world job") but if anyone is looking for a few hundred dollars for a quick side-gig, or possibly a longer term contract if you're good at it, and has job experience doing almost anything (though I think they really liked when people had experience in trades) and decent writing skills, PM me and I can send you the info. You don't need any specific degree.

That sounds interesting! I sent you a PM. Always looking for extra $$$ opportunities.

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #422 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
My friend Dave and I teach a basic mixology class that's super fun. We've done charity events, corporate and private parties too. Check out Paul and Dave's Mixed Drinks www.pdmixeddrinks.com

Vanchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
x-posted in the Sidehustle 2015 thread under Throw Down the Gauntlet

Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time the last year and a half thinking of ways to earn extra money while still being stupid about money- I am getting smarter.

These are my ideas - they aren't super generic because they rely on my knowledge or skills or areas of interest or what I am willing to learn to do- but they are ideas I thought I would share to try to inspire and help others..... I hope they inspire you   

I will do 5-8 of these in 2016, more if I can.......... the prices are what I would charge online and at a craft fair or the flea market

Bible verses (popular in this area) and inspirational quotes ( in calligraphy or embossed with white powder and watercolor) $7 each;

Custom framed family word clouds in shape of heart- check wordle.net ;

custom keychains (father, grandparent, moms)

Custom grandchild and spouse and parent portraits**B&W photography ONLY********

Art journal family trees $60

Art journal style Tshirts and fabrics (sell on Threadless and Spoonflower) - Also: Art Journal style mugs at flea market (small small batches)- Use china permanent pen on plain white china mugs to do custom funny sayings on them at Flea Market- have some "The best dads get promoted to Grand-dad" mugs ready to sell..

shabby chic accessories- pastel and white painted everything- French fabric (use own old contracts in French) sachets, pillows and aprons and tea towels, create fabric on Spoonflower or alternate website

add a bunch of designs to SPOONFLOWER.com site for royalties, use kid art, too

Dog/cat name tags ($7), keychains ($4) and metal baby's first Christmas ornaments (stamped) ($6),

infant memorial jewelry through the hospitals ($25),

wedding party keychains ($4-12 per person) (Groomsman/BFF/Bridesmaid),

labeled or stamped garden markers from old cutlery ($6 each), windchimes ($22)

Website design/set up using Wordpress

Amazon power tool, kitchen appliance and romance novel book reseller.

"Shabby chic" book
"Capsule Wardrobe" guide (call it something sassy) Kindle
"Guide to Frugal living on Kindle"
"Guide to Homekeeping"
"Guide to Home Repair"
"Guide to ______________________" on Kindle

AirBnB: $54/night, extra for second bedroom. If they need master bedroom, can sleep in den or at mom's???

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-dog-food-longevity/

A/ Do a cat food review site like this?????
B/ sell pet food ONLINE (Amazon)

Painted wedding shoes- calligraphy
Hand made wedding veils, sell on Etsy

Hand made paper rose bouquets sold on Etsy (from old books) and at flea market

Sell old documents on Etsy and eBay (find at garage sales)

Organize and declutter garages for people, and attics

Organize guys as junk haulers for people (charge $70/load, pay $30 to the guys)

Plant flower gardens for people in spring, plant bulbs in spring and fall

Offering resume coaching and interview coaching (based on my hiring and management experience), doing Linked In profiles for professionals in my field

Run a babysitting and home care service (short term cooking and laundry and light cleaning service for people in need)

Start a housecleaning company

Organize bills and statements and other medical and financial records (should get bonded to do this)

Handle filing medical claims for people.

teach art and basic accounting, get someone to teach home repair and car repair and carpentry

Start a christmas light hanging business (outdoor lights, house and/or trees)

Do pet sitting (join Pet Sitters International)

Bartending (good tips, part time)

Sell children's clothes like Terri does (new with tags from value village/thrift/charity shops or excellent condition) on eBay

Record audiobooks for ACX (Amazon) https://www.acx.com/help/how-it-works/200484210

(the website http://www.xojane.com/ has an article (a funny article, don't be put off by the title) on doing this)

Car and truck detailing (cleaning ultraclean), makes a good gift certificate for Xmas

Start a recipe channel on Youtube like PioneerWoman's show.
Start a "how to" channel on Youtube
(both require set up for ads on Youtube and social media distribution by friends and family and Fiverr.com)

I'd love to hear other ideas for sidehustles. I’m going to add this to the longer post that’s on this site but I’d love to see a dedicated category for the topic of sidehustles 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
I make about $1000 every holiday season by offering gift-wrapping service.

They provide their own papers, decorations & consumables (tape), I show up with my toolbox (good scissors etc) and do everything they have in 1 trip. I charge $3.50 per gift big or small and prefer to make only one trip to wrap everything (I work at their house).

When I started I had a classified ad, now I have enough referrals/regulars to stay as busy as I would like to be during the season. Average job is about 4-5 hours and 30-40 gifts.

I find a perverse satisfaction in making money from other people's consumerism LOL.

I want to do this! I love wrapping gifts.!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #425 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:32 AM »
x-posted in the Sidehustle 2015 thread under Throw Down the Gauntlet

Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time the last year and a half thinking of ways to earn extra money while still being stupid about money- I am getting smarter.

These are my ideas - they aren't super generic because they rely on my knowledge or skills or areas of interest or what I am willing to learn to do- but they are ideas I thought I would share to try to inspire and help others..... I hope they inspire you   

I will do 5-8 of these in 2016, more if I can.......... the prices are what I would charge online and at a craft fair or the flea market

Bible verses (popular in this area) and inspirational quotes ( in calligraphy or embossed with white powder and watercolor) $7 each;

Custom framed family word clouds in shape of heart- check wordle.net ;

custom keychains (father, grandparent, moms)

Custom grandchild and spouse and parent portraits**B&W photography ONLY********

Art journal family trees $60

Art journal style Tshirts and fabrics (sell on Threadless and Spoonflower) - Also: Art Journal style mugs at flea market (small small batches)- Use china permanent pen on plain white china mugs to do custom funny sayings on them at Flea Market- have some "The best dads get promoted to Grand-dad" mugs ready to sell..

shabby chic accessories- pastel and white painted everything- French fabric (use own old contracts in French) sachets, pillows and aprons and tea towels, create fabric on Spoonflower or alternate website

add a bunch of designs to SPOONFLOWER.com site for royalties, use kid art, too

Dog/cat name tags ($7), keychains ($4) and metal baby's first Christmas ornaments (stamped) ($6),

infant memorial jewelry through the hospitals ($25),

wedding party keychains ($4-12 per person) (Groomsman/BFF/Bridesmaid),

labeled or stamped garden markers from old cutlery ($6 each), windchimes ($22)

Website design/set up using Wordpress

Amazon power tool, kitchen appliance and romance novel book reseller.

"Shabby chic" book
"Capsule Wardrobe" guide (call it something sassy) Kindle
"Guide to Frugal living on Kindle"
"Guide to Homekeeping"
"Guide to Home Repair"
"Guide to ______________________" on Kindle

AirBnB: $54/night, extra for second bedroom. If they need master bedroom, can sleep in den or at mom's???

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-dog-food-longevity/

A/ Do a cat food review site like this?????
B/ sell pet food ONLINE (Amazon)

Painted wedding shoes- calligraphy
Hand made wedding veils, sell on Etsy

Hand made paper rose bouquets sold on Etsy (from old books) and at flea market

Sell old documents on Etsy and eBay (find at garage sales)

Organize and declutter garages for people, and attics

Organize guys as junk haulers for people (charge $70/load, pay $30 to the guys)

Plant flower gardens for people in spring, plant bulbs in spring and fall

Offering resume coaching and interview coaching (based on my hiring and management experience), doing Linked In profiles for professionals in my field

Run a babysitting and home care service (short term cooking and laundry and light cleaning service for people in need)

Start a housecleaning company

Organize bills and statements and other medical and financial records (should get bonded to do this)

Handle filing medical claims for people.

teach art and basic accounting, get someone to teach home repair and car repair and carpentry

Start a christmas light hanging business (outdoor lights, house and/or trees)

Do pet sitting (join Pet Sitters International)

Bartending (good tips, part time)

Sell children's clothes like Terri does (new with tags from value village/thrift/charity shops or excellent condition) on eBay

Record audiobooks for ACX (Amazon) https://www.acx.com/help/how-it-works/200484210

(the website http://www.xojane.com/ has an article (a funny article, don't be put off by the title) on doing this)

Car and truck detailing (cleaning ultraclean), makes a good gift certificate for Xmas

Start a recipe channel on Youtube like PioneerWoman's show.
Start a "how to" channel on Youtube
(both require set up for ads on Youtube and social media distribution by friends and family and Fiverr.com)

I'd love to hear other ideas for sidehustles. I’m going to add this to the longer post that’s on this site but I’d love to see a dedicated category for the topic of sidehustles

you go girl

Detroitreprenuer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #426 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
I work at the dog daycare I used to take my dogs to while I was working a 9-5. Since I work there now, I get to take my dogs for free and i get 50% off dog grooming. It's great exercise as well as I walk several miles while at work. I've networked with a lot of local artists as well who buy art supplies from my store and they pass the word to their artist friends too.

peggan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #427 on: August 25, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Does anyone know anything about DoTerra or have an opinion about the essential oil business?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: August 25, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Does anyone know anything about DoTerra or have an opinion about the essential oil business?

Like most MLM it requires a lot of bugging your friends and family, and you are unlikely to make all that much money.  Most people I know who sell it do it for a discount.

Vanchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: August 25, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »

Like most MLM it requires a lot of bugging your friends and family, and you are unlikely to make all that much money.  Most people I know who sell it do it for a discount.

If you teach classes on how to use them, you can sell into the community- I found a recipe for a lemon sugar scrub that uses them, for example (search lemon sugar scrub doterra) and the person writing that blog and I think teaching in the community sells them. I have bought them to use as an air freshener and for the scrub which I will give as gifts to girlfriends for their birthdays this year ahead.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #430 on: August 26, 2015, 02:53:17 AM »
Can you share more details? Fees to be a driver?

I just started driving for Uber and Lyft though I've only done two rides (both Uber.) Both do background checks and required pictures of proof of insurance and vehicle registration. Uber provided a form and a list of approved repair shops to do an inspection in the car. Lyft had me meet up with a mentor who did a cursory inspection (brake lights, horn, turn signal, etc) and I did about a 20-minute drive with him in the car.

There were no extra fees, but in my state, Farmers Insurance has an extra rider you can add to your policy for rideshare services like Lyft and Uber. So I'm paying a little extra for that. Many insurance companies don't support this kind of use for vehicles, so some drivers just keep it secret from their insurance but that could majorly backfire on you.

Also, if you have a lien on your car, you're technically supposed to get permission from your lienholder to use it for hybrid commercial use, but I doubt most lienholder's would be OK with that.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #431 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »
Just wanted to report back that my current face study is paying $225 this time, for 5 visits for pictures and using 9 drops of a moisturizer oil every night for a few weeks.  Usually the studies only offer $40 but I've noticed more better paying ones recently.  You had to qualify though (pale skin and redness on face for this one, certain age range, skin tone, etc.) They have a bunch of studies every week, but you can only do 1 study at a time.  It's pretty easy and quick money.  I usually don't have to get cash out if I have a study going on actually.  The name of the company is Biometrx and they do studies out of SF and other cities.  Or you can see if there is something similar near you.  Also saves me money from not having to buy face moisturizer.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:01:02 PM by carozy »

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #432 on: September 02, 2015, 10:52:38 PM »

I distribute for Young Living (DoTerra is an offshoot of YL). I do $1100 a month lately.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2015, 01:40:24 AM »
Have you checked on online jobs you can probably do? There are actually a lot of online job posting that can help you out. You can also either do buy and sell online.

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »
Posting to make it easier to find to read later, hopefully that's okay. I really need to find a side hustle to bring in extra money, and make me less dependent on my soul crushing desk job.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: October 18, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
i'm a full time physician so not a whole lot of extra time but...
i opened a mechanic shop and had my mechanic friend (who became my partner) run it for a while...
made some money but i reinvested a lot of it too...
it was good because he pretty much ran it and i did all the book keeping, financing etc...

i was on fiverr.com for a while and it wasn't too bad but needed a lot of my time and make $10-30 per month...

i started buying some car parts on craigslist and car forums for cheap and would sell them on ebay...
again time consuming...
i did this more when i was in med school...

in college i went around computer shops and asked them for the parts they didn't need (old hard drives etc)...
and would get all the info, make a nice posting and sell on ebay....
that actually was really good money....

You sound like my cousin, who is an anesthesiologist. He was a big-time Fatwallet/Slickdeals deal lurker and would do a lot of similar thing: buy "cheap" and flip on ebay. Super savvy. He used to be really into doing 'market research', then buying/finding the stuff for really cheap, and flipping it on ebay for a pretty good profit turn. This was primarily during med school and when he had more time to 'kill time' - nowadays, he seems pretty consumed with just being an anesthesiologist. It seems like he's raking in much more $$$ than he could have ever imagined, so why even bother with extra side-gigs. He puts in a full amount of effort and reaps rewards that are well-beyond "creature comfort" - it's making me quite jealous thinking about it... except, I'm sure he (and all current doctors) endured much hell going through med school and residency.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #436 on: October 18, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
We do lawncare like mowing and mulching for our side job. We need to figure out another job we can do in winter though..

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: October 18, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
We do lawncare like mowing and mulching for our side job. We need to figure out another job we can do in winter though..

Where do you live? I knew a guy who did exactly what you are doing in Summer. In Winter he had an old beater of  a truck but it was street worthy. He put a blade on the front and plowed people's driveways. If you live in Florida this will not work.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #438 on: October 19, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »
I used to be a full-time freelance photographer, and even now that I have a full-time job in editing and creative management, I've kept a good relationship with my old agency, so they throw me a few contracts a year when they're in dire need of some help. I also just joined UpWork 3 weeks ago because I don't have the time or energy to get freelance writing gigs on my own, and so far I've booked two long-term part time contracts doing something I love and making over twice the hourly rate as my 9 to 5. Might even motivate me to go back to full-time freelancing if things keep going this way...

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
Looking into hosting through AirBNB- we'll try it if we can find a home insurance company which will continue to cover us rather than making us buy a commercial policy.

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
« Reply #440 on: December 23, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »
Looks like there are a number of other photographers here.  I've been doing weddings/engagements/family photos for a while now.  Although the more I book the more it tends to drain my passion for it so I try to keep a balance.

Also interested in the vending machine route, anyone have any good resources to learn about what to look for in a machine?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:05:53 PM by stevez32 »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
I picked up a second contract doing similar work to what I already do, but where the luster has worn off my main job, this new one is fresh and I am highly respected in it.  It makes me feel good to do it (because I'm appreciated) and is about another 10-20 hours per week on top of the 40-60 hours I work at my main job.  It's also helping me justify some of the upgrades I want to do around the house (install fancy closet, get someone else to paint my house, etc).

Here's an update:  I've been enjoying my second contract and brought in what seems like a ton of money in two years, but the reality is that I didn't really end up adding the bulk of the hours onto my workload - I merely traded one payor for another and risked pissing off my steady contract by being away more often than usual.  It also caused some downtime due to traveling between assignments, etc.  It was also a lot of extra stress.  I'm glad I did it, but when it's over this year, I won't do another at the same time that I already have a steady contract going.

EDIT:  fixed wonky quote
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:25:07 PM by BlueHouse »

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
I finally got caught and banned from an online game for selling their in game currency. +15k while it lasted.

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
I tutor middle and high school kids in writing and make around $100/hour (and that's on the low end for this market!). It started as a side hustle almost three years ago when I was working full time, and then I had enough of cubicle life and quit, planning to grow my tutoring business instead. Turned out the work was too erratic to pay the bills so I got a part-time office gig last year. Now it's back to a side hustle. I'm building a website this weekend and the plan is take another stab at growing it as an online business. THen I can take my dream tiny house on the road in a couple years and work anywhere!

I also teach yoga a few times a month since getting certified last year. The potential for high hourly is there if I can get private clients vs. group classes, so I'm gonna focus on that too.

And maybe write an ebook? Thanks for the inspiration!

munchabunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »
I make custom plush (stuffed animals) and sell them online. When I was between jobs I brought in enough to cover rent and some basic expenses.  Now it's just a side hobby that happens to be a lot of fun on weekends :).

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »
We do:
- dog training
- dog boarding
- credit card churning
- freelancing (writing in a technical area)
- betting arbitrage

Am looking into getting into:
- bike repair
- guitar teaching
- writing ebooks

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #446 on: January 31, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »
I used to sell cute handcrafted voodoo dolls and create character sprites for a visual novel.

Nowadays, I'm trying my hand to write articles and get paid for it.

lpb0306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
I babysit and dogsit occasionally, and do Amazon Mturk while at home/break at work. Just signed up with a few companies online to see if I can do website testing occasionally as well.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
I occasionally do Swagbucks for a few dollars but looking to get some good ideas from this thread.

I'm considering Lyft/Uber but am kind of unsure if the benefits outweigh the costs.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
i wrote an e-book, and on a typical month, i make about $50 from it. the first few months it was out, i made a lot more.

working on the second one now :)

Do you know the rough word count of your E-Book?  I want to write something, but I keep thinking it will be too short!

i can't remember exactly, but i think it's between 15-20,000 words. it's 10 chapters long, and each chapter is 1500-2000 words. comes out to 45 pages as assessed by the kindle store.

i priced it low -- $2.99 -- figuring that it will be at least as entertaining and useful as a cup of coffee.

That is so cool, Miss Madge! Your e-book looks really cool and I will check out blog as well. This is very inspiring.