Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 509467 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
In related news the past few days have been phenomenal for Prolific- I have taken several surveys that only took me ~10 minutes and paid $3.28 or more. For anyone interested PM me or use my referral link in the signature below.

I have been too busy to grab many of them this week, but I did get a great one today. $1.30 for 3 minutes.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
I make about $1000 every holiday season by offering gift-wrapping service.

They provide their own papers, decorations & consumables (tape), I show up with my toolbox (good scissors etc) and do everything they have in 1 trip. I charge $3.50 per gift big or small and prefer to make only one trip to wrap everything (I work at their house).

When I started I had a classified ad, now I have enough referrals/regulars to stay as busy as I would like to be during the season. Average job is about 4-5 hours and 30-40 gifts.

I find a perverse satisfaction in making money from other people's consumerism LOL.

This is brilliant.

I agree - made  note for the season where extra personal time is available!

You go to their house but there are 40 gifts to wrap?

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #602 on: December 15, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
A side gig I'll continue even after getting a full time jobs that pays more is being a construction Security Guard.

The job requires you to secure the entrance and let no one who isn't authorized inside, beyond that you can use your phone to read a book or relax and watch videos.

I actually reread all of MMM Posts while at Work, and took the time to pocket archive all of the best ones to reread again.

It's an awesome job even if it does pay minimum wage.

speedofsound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #603 on: December 15, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »
Jazz piano player. Tax prep.

I've got 30 years of experience playing piano...started when I was 5 yo.  Glad it puts some extra cash in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:13:21 PM by speedofsound »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: December 16, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
A side gig I'll continue even after getting a full time jobs that pays more is being a construction Security Guard.

The job requires you to secure the entrance and let no one who isn't authorized inside, beyond that you can use your phone to read a book or relax and watch videos.

I actually reread all of MMM Posts while at Work, and took the time to pocket archive all of the best ones to reread again.

It's an awesome job even if it does pay minimum wage.

Raj- can you do this part-time/on the weekends or evenings? Also, how did you get into this line of work?

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #605 on: December 17, 2017, 03:41:02 AM »
Raj- can you do this part-time/on the weekends or evenings? Also, how did you get into this line of work?
Yes you can in fact do it part time and on the weekends, in fact that's what I did when I was in University.

The only downside to doing it part time is you are going to have to do night shifts if you want a shift or two every week, where as if you say day time only your more likely to get it once a month if you insist on doing only construction shifts like I do.

Basically if you want a lot of shifts regularly then it needs to be full time, but if you want a supplementary job to get income occasionally then it also makes an awesome side job.

Also the shifts are only so rare if you narrow it down to just construction, if your willing to also do normal security work your near guaranteed to get shifts on the weekend especially if your willing to do nightshifts.

I got into this because of my father and my laziness as a high school student.

My Father had been trying to get me to do a part time job through out high school and I would humor him by throwing a resume at a store if he was with me but otherwise didn't bother looking.  (I was a lazy shit as a teenager who only wanted to read various fiction books)

I never got an interview and I was nearing the end of high school.  My Dad was exasperated at me and my step brother Mark was a Security Guard himself who told him there are a fair amount of jobs in the field currently since you need a license and not many people are interested.

So for my 18th birthday present he enrolled me into a Security Guard Course, where on the weekend I had to attend some quick and easy lessons.  After a few weeks of doing high school and this extra course I finished the extra course and took my Security Guard Exam.

It took a month or two to get processed so I graduated high school and got my Security Guard License around the same time.

Mark then told me that his employer was looking to expand and got me an interview.

The interview itself was barely even an interview at all, my boss just wanted to know that I had my Security Guard License and when told I had no experience said that I could learn on the job.

I was then told to go to the Uniform group which gave me a custom fitted uniform which cost around $300 all together and came out of my paycheck and then started my first shift late August.

A few weeks later I was then in College and continued doing Security Guard shifts on the weekends.

I did that throughout the years even after I shifted to University until I finished all my courses. 

I couldn't find an Accounting Job in Co-Op which is needed to graduate right away, so I shifted to full time Security and have been looking for an Accounting job ever since although I recently have started applying to volunteer ones as well so I can graduate.

That's my story on how I got into being a Security Guard.

I'll now fully explain the process.

First you have to get your security guard license, I live in Canada so I'm not sure if it's different in Colorado but it's not difficult to do.

You take a few classes for a week or two and get taught how to do CPR etc.

You then take a test that is rather easy and pay to get your license.

I've actually forgotten most of what I learned in that security course because in my 4 years of experience as a Security Guard none of it has ever come up.

You've now gotten your license and apply to become a normal security guard.

A Normal Security Guard's duties are to deter theft by being an intimidating gargoyle that hovers around meat and medicine and patrols.

It's rather dull and the only source of entertainment is one headphone where you can listen to things like a podcast etc.

After a month of doing that Full Time or a year of doing that part time you can then apply to become a construction guard.

Your new duty is to secure the entrance and only allow authorized personnel inside the store.  They either can't lock it so that construction workers can come in and out, or their is a hole in the wall and your by yourself.

Either way you tell any customers or unauthorized people who come that they can't enter, and you ask anyone who your not 100% sure about if they are working there.

These are usually 10 - 12 hours shifts and of that time, I spend less than an hour overall up and talking to people scattered about with the rest of the time being on my phone reading various fiction books or even watching movies during the more dead times.

It can be a little irritating to interrupt myself every 15 minutes or so for 30 seconds but it is definitely worth it.

All throughout this you'll being paid minimum wage or a bit above it if you get some experience.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
Just did a gig for a big private party on NY eve. Free dinner and a few beers, 6 hrs "work" (much of that relaxing with the band between sets while DJ did his thing) and got paid $430.

Sweet.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #607 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
Here in the states you don't need a license to be a security guard. If you carry a gun you need a license for that. At the museum where my wife works all you do is put in an application and they basically hire you if your record is clean. Pay starts at $11 an hour which is 'ok' if one is an hourly worker type of person. Once you are hired all you do is stand in the gallery all day and watch the hot girls go by.

gavint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #608 on: January 04, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
I work in Landscaping and tree care, and I did moonlighting gigs the whole four years I was working for someone else since we moved here.  A bit risky, because my work contract explicitly forbade it, and I could have been fired for it at any point.  However, my independent work developed enough that I could quit my day job and go solo - now I'm earning double and working fewer hours.  Worked out well!     

tag

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Professional Organizer
Organizing, Retirement Downsizing, Minimizing...I help people set up their physical spaces, schedules and their lives so that they run more efficiently.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Professional Organizer
Organizing, Retirement Downsizing, Minimizing...I help people set up their physical spaces, schedules and their lives so that they run more efficiently.

I love this idea, but how did you get into it? Just put a listing on CL? Are there any certifications or anything that you've obtained?

MrsW17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
Professional Organizer

I love this idea, but how did you get into it? Just put a listing on CL? Are there any certifications or anything that you've obtained?
I'd love to know this, too! I just helped one of my family members with this since she is getting ready to move, and we ended up spending 8 hours clearing out the master closet. She ended up donating 13 full-size trash bags of clothes and shoes. Whew.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »
Let's take organizing for example..... your main goal isn't to be a professional organizer, you probably already know how to do that. Your main goal is to become a professional marketer. That's the difference between the $12 an hour organizers and the $100 organizers..... do you really think there is a difference in their work? This holds true for any 'side gig' aka business you have. This is why I've always made money in almost every business I've had.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #613 on: January 09, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »
Along the lines of the home organising...

We have a website here where people post odd jobs and anybody can sign up, make offers and hopefully win the work. I'm not sure if there's an equivalent platform in the US. There is a lot of cleaning and gardening type work posted, and a few things where people just want something done on the cheap when they should be using someone with a licence and insurance eg felling trees. The site takes 15% of the fee for hooking you up.

However, for all its shortcomings - I live in a HCOL area and I've picked up quite a few good jobs and made about $1.5k in 6 weeks after expenses. I'm doing some light courier / concierge type jobs but also I've been helping people clear out their rubbish and taking it to the tip. A few hundred $ earned comes solely from selling things that people were throwing out. They just couldn't be bothered doing it themselves. One reason I think I've done well out of it is that I'm polite and write proper sentences when I make an offer to do a task. Some people write something like "pick me mate, I'll get it done" and expect to get the job??? Also I'm female and I think it works in my favour when females post tasks that require you to come to their house.

TL/DR: If you live in or near a fancy area, try offering rubbish removal / garage clearing type services.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #614 on: January 10, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »
Yes, all kinds of websites here like that. Some are free and some cost $$$.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
Yes, all kinds of websites here like that. Some are free and some cost $$$.
Can you give some examples, please?

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
Thumbtack, Care .com, Porch, homeadvisor, Craigslist, Facebook to name a few. I gave 6 examples too many because if a person is very gung-ho about a business, they will find these sites and make them work. People who need the sites named will probably make a grand total of $1.86 profit in their life. That's not meant to be mean like most of you will think, it's just the truth. Normally, those that get their feelings hurt by remarks like this are the $1.86 earners.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:54:41 PM by SC93 »

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
That is GREAT! How much do these make every year or month? I think a lot of people will want to know this answer. Great job on putting out the effort.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #618 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
Well, you can also earn $0 per day. lol

Hopefully you are a high earner.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #619 on: January 23, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
Someone may have mentioned this already, but I participate in focus groups for extra cash. If you are interested and want to find companies that will call or email you about opportunities, you can check out the Quirks website:  https://www.quirks.com/directories/focus-group-facility

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
Someone may have mentioned this already, but I participate in focus groups for extra cash. If you are interested and want to find companies that will call or email you about opportunities, you can check out the Quirks website:  https://www.quirks.com/directories/focus-group-facility

Did you separately register with each local focus group/company listed on that site? Those companies will then contact you if you meet their criteria to participate? Is it always an in-person session? Any tips/lessons learned? Thanks in advance!

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »

Did you separately register with each local focus group/company listed on that site? Those companies will then contact you if you meet their criteria to participate? Is it always an in-person session? Any tips/lessons learned? Thanks in advance!
Yes, years ago I went to the website of each company in my area and looked to see if they had a page for focus group participants to register. Companies will call or email when they have opportunities available. I have been to in-person focus groups and online groups. My only tip is to be honest in your responses to their qualififying questions and during the group. There are plenty of opportunities available, so there should be no need to lie or exaggerate to qualify just so you can get paid.
Also, the link in my signature should get you 600 United Miles for participating in an easy survey.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:51:00 PM by frozen »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
Here in the states you don't need a license to be a security guard. If you carry a gun you need a license for that. At the museum where my wife works all you do is put in an application and they basically hire you if your record is clean. Pay starts at $11 an hour which is 'ok' if one is an hourly worker type of person. Once you are hired all you do is stand in the gallery all day and watch the hot girls go by.

That depends on where you are. Arizona requires you to have a guard license.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »

And all for $10 an hour? lmao

I do think it is a good idea for them to be trained but I would think that makes them more valuable and should be paid at least a little more money. I'm sure it might be that way in every state before too long.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:07:57 PM by SC93 »

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2018, 06:27:08 AM »
I write and record more, which I then license on sites like Pond 5. It brings in a few hundred dollars a month, mostly passively. Plus I also submit to custom songs to libraries for even more. I also teach people how to get started in the industry through an online course at https://www.stockmusicmusician.com.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »

And all for $10 an hour? lmao

I do think it is a good idea for them to be trained but I would think that makes them more valuable and should be paid at least a little more money. I'm sure it might be that way in every state before too long.

Yes.  The armed guards at Bank of America were making $12/hr in 2011 when I worked for G4S.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #626 on: February 11, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »
Our consulting company, which was our main source of income pre-FIRE, continues to generate a small income from various streams. Seems to be in the $10-12K a year range.
Not something we ever planned on but it is kinda nice.
The effort is minimal, mostly answering a few emails and billing.

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #627 on: February 18, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
I have been making jewelry as a side gig since I was a teenager.  I also make gifts and donate pieces for various fundraisers that I support.

My husband and I keep bees and sell excess honey.  It pays for the hobby and then some.
I also sell excess veggies and eggs we produce when I have them. 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: February 18, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
My husband and I keep bees and sell excess honey.  It pays for the hobby and then some.
I also sell excess veggies and eggs we produce when I have them. 

This is a goal for me in FI(RE). Just need to get a house with a yard first, but we're working on it!

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: February 18, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
We bought our current house 4 years ago.  We are 15 minutes outside a small city.  We have 2.5 acres and it is zoned agricultural. The zoning means we can have any animals we want or we could make it a market garden with a farm stand if we wanted to. 

changed for protection

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Freedom to help others!
« Reply #630 on: February 19, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
i wrote an e-book, and on a typical month, i make about $50 from it. the first few months it was out, i made a lot more.

working on the second one now :)

what was the book on? What's to book's title?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 22, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
I stumbled across www.upwork.com/ today and I was curious- has anyone one this forum used this website to find part-time side gigs? It looks like there are some other threads on the forum, but most of them are extremely small and only have 1-2 responses. What I'm most curious about is:

-Can you set your own hours (outside of the work-day in US) and still get work?
-Is it very hard to get started?

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
What type of work would you be doing on upwork?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
Seems like doing VoIP Customer Service, Personal Assistant work, or other similar work has potential to earn more than $10/hr.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #634 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
PA work can bring in great money if you know how to market yourself.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would do anything for $10 an hour. I mean, I am so thankful someone will do it but I just don't understand why they would. I would never get out of bed for $10 an hour. Hell, I'd never get out of bed for $20 an hour but atleast I can see someone working for $20. A person can make so much more, it's almost humorous to see people working for less but instead of laughing I usually feel sorry for them. Side gig or not.....

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
I hate when people use that expression about not getting out of bed for a certain amount of $.  It's like they are better then other people.  Ugh!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 23, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
I hate when people use that expression about not getting out of bed for a certain amount of $.  It's like they are better then other people.  Ugh!
Agreed.   Minimum wage in many states is still the federal minimum level of $7.25/hr, and plenty of people are working for that much.  I think that's enough for a lot of jobs.   I've done volunteer work before and didn't get paid at all - that's why they call it volunteer work.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 23, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
For the first time tonight I drove for Lyft.  It was slightly terrifying at first but the 2 rides were NICE PEOPLE, thankfully.  I was in an area of downtown city that I’m not 100% familiar wth and it was rush hour.  The first rider was a very experienced ride share user businessman who shared with me what he thought made the best Lyfts:  clean cars and no bad smells from the car.  He said my car was very clean :) The second ride was a group of tourists and they were too engaged in their own conversation to pay any attention to my slightly terrified driving.  I made $20 and had some adventures.  Glad I got over my fear and did it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »
I stumbled across www.upwork.com/ today and I was curious- has anyone one this forum used this website to find part-time side gigs?

I tried it about a year and a half ago, and was not impressed, unfortunately. I was looking for tasks in print production/proofreading/editing (with almost two decades of professional experience) and I found that the pay was very low. When I got my first gig, it turned out that what I thought was a rare decent paying task was in fact just poorly described, and they wanted way more work than I thought, and they wanted a graphic designer, which I'm not. The client was really difficult to work with and didn't leave me a rating. I didn't bother continuing after that... It's possible I just had bad luck. And the area you're interested in could be totally different. But I'd recommend going in with the expectation that people want to take advantage of you and you have to be on guard and ask a lot of questions up front.

There's a similar site called Fiverr (or something like that) that you could also check out. I see ads for them all the time but haven't tried them out.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 25, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
For the first time tonight I drove for Lyft.  It was slightly terrifying at first but the 2 rides were NICE PEOPLE, thankfully.  I was in an area of downtown city that I’m not 100% familiar wth and it was rush hour.  The first rider was a very experienced ride share user businessman who shared with me what he thought made the best Lyfts:  clean cars and no bad smells from the car.  He said my car was very clean :) The second ride was a group of tourists and they were too engaged in their own conversation to pay any attention to my slightly terrified driving.  I made $20 and had some adventures.  Glad I got over my fear and did it.
Don't forget to track your mileage, both for Lyft and otherwise (so you or your tax preparer can calc your deductions).

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #640 on: March 30, 2018, 04:37:43 AM »
I stumbled across www.upwork.com/ today and I was curious- has anyone one this forum used this website to find part-time side gigs? It looks like there are some other threads on the forum, but most of them are extremely small and only have 1-2 responses. What I'm most curious about is:

-Can you set your own hours (outside of the work-day in US) and still get work?
-Is it very hard to get started?

Well, I can give you some insights from the other side, if you're interested.

Over the last 7+ years we've spent upwards of $50,000 on contractors on oDesk.
Mostly graphic design but with some research jobs as well.

-The people we did contract were always the ones who projected themselves as solutions to our needs. NOT part-time gig seekers. (If we wanted part-time employees who want to work from home, take no responsibility, produce amateur work and make a lots of money... we wouldn't need to pay oDesk's commissions. We would advertise on craigslist for free.)

-Price was never a consideration to us. But value was paramount.
The highest price people we used were always on-time, accurate and complete with projects.

-Having a good rating (4+ if I remember the grading system correctly) is a necessity.

-Showing a well thought out and impeccable portfolio of your work is your major sales tool.

-We always agreed and signed a written statement of work for every engagement. But... I made them write the body of the SOW based on our written requirements (i.e. expected end results). This ensured that I knew that they knew what was actually expected.

-Almost all of our contacts were fixed price... so yes, you could do the work when/where you like.
They just had to make sure they were available to talk at the prearranged times.
We had contractors from Canada, Argentina, Egypt, India, France and the USA.

-Any hourly contracts were with people we had worked with already.
We never made them sign in for online monitoring. Again, work where and when you want. But don't miss a deadline or a meeting. No excuses. (Well, obviously, some excuses were acceptable, but I was always pleasantly surprised when contractors would tell me the work may be late due to snowstorms or family illness or in one case a parent passing away, and yet they almost never were, despite assurances from me that the delay was manageable on our end.)

-Despite best intentions and the precautions above sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Only twice in the whole time did we need to terminate a contract early for non-performance. In both cases, the contractor agreed that they weren't up to the job. We got our money back and left the contractor a 5-star review for professionalism and good judgement. No major harm done on either side, other than the delay for us.

Finally, I would say that if you really have skills in demand and want to be in business for yourself go for it.
You will have a full pipeline of work.   

If, however you are looking for a quick buck, you'll probably have better luck at picking up empties.   

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 31, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »

I honestly have no idea why anyone would do anything for $10 an hour. I mean, I am so thankful someone will do it but I just don't understand why they would. I would never get out of bed for $10 an hour. Hell, I'd never get out of bed for $20 an hour but atleast I can see someone working for $20. A person can make so much more, it's almost humorous to see people working for less but instead of laughing I usually feel sorry for them. Side gig or not.....

I’d imagine 3/4 of the planet makes less than $20/hr. Sheesh.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: April 01, 2018, 03:42:21 AM »

I’d imagine 3/4 of the planet makes less than $20/hr. Sheesh.

According to this calculator http://www.globalrichlist.net/ actually 99.37% of the world's population makes less than $20 an hour (filled in $38500 which was said to be $20 an hour).

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #643 on: April 01, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
I know.... sad thing isn't it? I am very thankful for those that do work for low wages, without them, prices would be sky high. I just have no clue why anyone would work for that low of a wage. In the US, no one HAS to work for that low wage. I tip great when we go out to eat..... when I pay for gas if it doesn't hold it all I give the remainder to the clerk.... Yesterday I gave a dryer to a lady that makes $40 a day.... I try to show my appreciation and keep those folks going but my brain does not compute working for such low pay. I'd be the guy that never had a job if I chose to work for that low pay. Without the low wage earners I wouldn't be able to make the money I do and the same goes for other business owners. So..... hopefully atleast 1 MORE of you will take the step outside your comfort zone and start your own business or get a j o b making more money. Yes, it's scary at first but you just have to take that 1st step just like everything else in life. Am I a hard ass? No, LIFE is a hard ass. I just don't sugar coat it for you like others do.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: April 02, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
I know.... sad thing isn't it? I am very thankful for those that do work for low wages, without them, prices would be sky high. I just have no clue why anyone would work for that low of a wage. In the US, no one HAS to work for that low wage. I tip great when we go out to eat..... when I pay for gas if it doesn't hold it all I give the remainder to the clerk.... Yesterday I gave a dryer to a lady that makes $40 a day.... I try to show my appreciation and keep those folks going but my brain does not compute working for such low pay. I'd be the guy that never had a job if I chose to work for that low pay. Without the low wage earners I wouldn't be able to make the money I do and the same goes for other business owners. So..... hopefully atleast 1 MORE of you will take the step outside your comfort zone and start your own business or get a j o b making more money. Yes, it's scary at first but you just have to take that 1st step just like everything else in life. Am I a hard ass? No, LIFE is a hard ass. I just don't sugar coat it for you like others do.

Nothing you wrote makes sense, it’s just arrogance and cruelty. Wonderful, you think you’re better than most people good for you. From your attitude, it’s clear to me you’re not a very happy person and there are lots of people making far less than you, making $20/hr or less that are far happier than you. I’m sure they’d pity you, like you pity them.  Except they wouldn’t waste their time, they have better things to do.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #645 on: April 03, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
I just started working again as a whitewater kayak instructor. I get about $50/3 hour pool session and $120 for a full day class. More importantly though, it gives me pro deals on gear (usually like 20% off wholesale prices) and allows me to deduct my gear purchases as business expenses which combine to make most gear about 60-70% off full retail for me.

Those benefits combined with the income makes teaching pay for all of my whitewater hobby.

This is an old one but I finally made the leap with this from working for someone else to starting my own business. All of the companies who operated locally closed or moved to the other side of the state to get more reliable water which made continuing to work for them difficult. So I started my own company doing it myself. The fact that I'm small and doing it for a side business means that I can be more flexible about time and location of classes than the bigger players so I can better deal with the un-reliable water.

Overall, I'm putting in about 10x as much work (though I love doing it so I don't mind) to make about 5x as much money but it is so nice to be working for myself.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: April 04, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
^this sounds awesome, congrats!

Do you do this part time while still holding down a full time job, or has this transitioned into a more full time thing?

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #647 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
^this sounds awesome, congrats!

Do you do this part time while still holding down a full time job, or has this transitioned into a more full time thing?

Thanks! I still hold down a full time job, but I'm about 50% of the way to my FIRE number and that stash plus this side hustle means I don't really need to keep the full time job. I'm guessing this business will grow year over year, and that combined with probably becoming a dad soon and wanting to spend way more time at home means that the full-time job's months are numbered.

kpetar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Blogger at Dollar Sanity
    • Dollar Sanity
« Reply #648 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:34 AM »
Amazon FBA and selling videos to media buyers.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: April 05, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
Amazon FBA and selling videos to media buyers.

How did you get into this? Do you film your own videos, or get them from somewhere else? Definitely seems like an interesting business.