Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 511562 times)

lilsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #700 on: July 16, 2019, 07:15:28 PM »
Anybody tried Uber Eats, or one of the other food deliveries? I have about an hour or so after work to take something on, and wanted to see if that would be a "rush" time for orders.

Kcinegnet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Slowly, but Shirley?
« Reply #701 on: July 25, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
I (slut) out my credit score to help others improve theirs before they purchase something big like a house or vehicle. Its the only income I've ever witnessed for someone with a good credit score get rewarded for being responsible... smh.

I also buy and sell concert tickets, but compare this activity as to something like options/forex trading as there is a lot of politics/demographics/etc. involved.

Currently working on a start-up to connect buyers and sellers for vehicles as well!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #702 on: July 25, 2019, 06:18:02 PM »
Has anyone tried being one of this electric scooter chargers?

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #703 on: July 26, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »
Refereeing sports. I make $40-$60 per game doing teenage soccer. You can be as casual as a game here and there or as intense as a tournament with 6-8 games per day for 3 days over a holiday weekend. Getting qualified is a matter of completing a weekend course. They're always begging for more refs.

Must have a thick skin and enjoy running about in the park! I tell everyone I can about this side gig because making 45 bucks watching 14 year old girls (they rarely foul each other) have fun outside on a sunny afternoon is like stealing money.

This is really great to know. Refing basketball or something would be fun.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #704 on: July 26, 2019, 12:04:45 PM »
i wrote an e-book, and on a typical month, i make about $50 from it. the first few months it was out, i made a lot more.

you have to get your [eBook] in front of a bigger audience.

So funny you say this. I was thinking about how much something is read simply by being posted on MMM. I mean, I could start a thread called "dumb thread where I say nothing," and it will be clicked hundreds of times in the week. But I could start my own blog where I prove something scientific, and it will be a wasteland.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #705 on: July 26, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
My side hustle won't be for everyone, but it's been great fun for me with much less risk than other jobs in the sex industry: I'm a webcam model! This means that people can tip me during public webcam shows or pay for private shows. I also sell erotic videos and photos online.

This side hustle is much more accessible to and lucrative for women, but men are able to do this kind of work as well. And the good news is that you don't have to be a "traditionally beautiful" person to arouse others--there are so many tastes and interests out there :)

If you look anything like your photo, I can see the attraction. I mean, there are not a lot of purple cloud blobs out there. Add in a great sense of humor, and you're likely killing it!

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #706 on: July 28, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
Current Side Hustles

Teaching at a college. I make $4800/class, and teach 2-3 classes a year.

eBook Publishing. Very little money has come in. I tried an idea with an eBook for parents to read to babies to help learn numbers, colors, etc. I did no advertising and so the results are not surprising.
Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Numbers-20-English-Little-Ones-ebook/dp/B07N423C98/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1564317767&refinements=p_27%3AA.B.+Cee&s=digital-text&sr=1-2&text=A.B.+Cee

I have the same book in about 10 languages.

Past Side Hustles

Drove Uber. I liked driving Uber a lot, but the economics didn't make sense. Good for cash flow today, but lessens the back end life of the vehicle. The cash came in at just the right time. I drove a couple weeks, then the alternator blew. The money I made paid for it.

TextBroker. I wrote hundreds of articles for this site, from 2009-2016. It was there when I needed it, but the pay was excruciatingly low. In 2013 I tried to see if I could replace my job by making $150/day. After 4 hours I did make $75, but was mentally tapped out, and could see that the work was not going to be there for me to even earn that much half the time.

Helping students with term papers. I did this through a site, but sometimes found work on CraigsList. I wouldn't call this tutoring, but it wasn't exactly like editing, either. I made $20-$100 for each paper.

Ad Writing through Boost Media. This gig was a great one. I averaged $3500/month in 2015. The downside was that you had to compete for the work by clicking/claiming the ads one at a time. I was blessed with a knack for being much faster than other people at creating the ads, and with better Internet speed. When the work was there, I could make nearly $100/hour, but it's rare the work was there, and so I'd spend the day repeatedly refreshing the web page hoping ads were loading and I could click/claim it before anyone else.

Collecting cans. In NY, you can get $0.05/can. People put big blue cans on the street once a week, full of cans and bottles, and sometimes bagged, so after midnight I walked around a neighborhood and pulled the bags out to turn in the next day. I also worked on a beach where cans could wash up on the shore. The summer that I did this the most, I might have made an extra $200.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #707 on: July 28, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
Has anyone tried being one of this electric scooter chargers?

Did it for a couple of months before we moved to a city that doesn't have them. Competition is fierce.

The company was Lime. You get 4 chargers for free (you pay shipping, though). The pay is something like $3-20 for scooter, but the upper pay tiers are because other "juicers" have been unable to find or unwilling to get the scooter, usually for safety concerns. Most paid $7. Remember, you have to factor in your electric rate. You can also get paid $3 to simply move a scooter to the proper location -- for example, if someone leaves one laying in a yard, you get paid to move it to a proper parking spot, like the nearby bus stop.

I lived between two major parks, 5 schools, a library, and a huge shopping center, so it was a major scooter hub. There was still major competition from other juicers, so there were rarely any available nearby that needed charging when I would check the app. Instead, we made most of our cash on our evening walks, which we started timing to be right after the commute home rush in the neighborhood. We'd run the app and pick up and move scooters to proper parking for $3 a pop. Maybe made $25 -$50 a week just doing that. We only actually charged a few, because we just weren't committed enough to study the app to learn the best times and places to snag scooters for charging.

IsThisAGoodUsername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #708 on: July 28, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Current Side Hustles
Collecting cans. In NY, you can get $0.05/can. People put big blue cans on the street once a week, full of cans and bottles, and sometimes bagged, so after midnight I walked around a neighborhood and pulled the bags out to turn in the next day.

That sounds like stealing.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #709 on: July 28, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
Current Side Hustles
Collecting cans. In NY, you can get $0.05/can. People put big blue cans on the street once a week, full of cans and bottles, and sometimes bagged, so after midnight I walked around a neighborhood and pulled the bags out to turn in the next day.

Not sure why taking someone's trash that they put out for disposal would be stealing? Generally, when people opt to put stuff into municipal recycling cans, they have chosen to forego the opportunity to make money off of the cans and are choosing to let the city dispose of them. Depends on local codes whether it is illegal. Not sure about my current county, but in my last county items put on the curb for garbage/recycling pickup were fair game as long as you didn't enter private property/go over a gate or make a mess.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: July 28, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
Current Side Hustles

Not sure why taking someone's trash that they put out for disposal would be stealing? Generally, when people opt to put stuff into municipal recycling cans, they have chosen to forego the opportunity to make money off of the cans and are choosing to let the city dispose of them. Depends on local codes whether it is illegal. Not sure about my current county, but in my last county items put on the curb for garbage/recycling pickup were fair game as long as you didn't enter private property/go over a gate or make a mess.

No, that is correct. The recycling is picked up by a company (or the town) on contract, and they make money by providing the service. I found out after the fact. Probably half the money I made by recycling was gotten in this way.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #711 on: August 04, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Hey y'all, I signed up for Prolific and took a couple of surveys. Does anyone know how long it takes for the submissions to be approved?

NGL, things are a little bit tight right now, and I freely admit to needing $$$.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: August 04, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
Hey y'all, I signed up for Prolific and took a couple of surveys. Does anyone know how long it takes for the submissions to be approved?

It varies a lot because the surveys are all approved by the researchers, who all operate on their own schedule. I've seen anything from minutes to weeks. Most are within a couple of days.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: August 04, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »

It varies a lot because the surveys are all approved by the researchers, who all operate on their own schedule. I've seen anything from minutes to weeks. Most are within a couple of days.

That makes sense. Thank you!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: August 04, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
This is not my side hustle but I thought it a good one for the right person/situation and wanted to share. There is a person in my neighborhood who you can contact/pay to put up celebratory signs in your yard. Like HAPPY 40th ANNE! Spelled out, letter by letter. I’m guessing the set up cost isn’t too high (but high enough that customers won’t buy their own) and time and storage needs are fairly low.

fiveroundshootout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #715 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
I'm able to bring in $3k+ / month on Fiverr

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #716 on: October 28, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »

Impressive, fiveroundshootout! What sort of work do you do on that site? Do you have any tips/recommendations for folks getting started there?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #717 on: October 28, 2019, 02:23:28 PM »
I saw this idea as a side gig and thought it was a great idea! It is painting address numbers at the end of people's driveways with a stencil. In my area I have not seen this done unless perhaps a condo parking lot. Not sure if there are laws about it or not. Seems like a great idea to me. I would like to have the address at the bottom of my driveway. You never know when you might need an ambulance and great for delivery drivers.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: October 28, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
I now only have side hustles, my main activity being to travel/live in my truck camper so my gigs need to fit in my lifestyle. Looking for a free place to camp,  some firewood, or a place to shower is also part of this lifestyle.

Side gig #1, my main source of income, doing peer review of various environmental management reports. Remotely, average 10 hours a week of work, 75% reading, 25% commenting and writing my report. My rate is $150 per hour, a steal compared to what other consultants charge. But I have no overhead, my truck (or the beach...) is my office, and I only need internet access for a couple of hours a week to download reports then upload my reviews. This gig keeps me intellectually sharper (I am trying...), and connected to younger folks in my field. I could work much more than that, but why would I, I am 61?

Side hustle #2, from May to October, in a great little remote city in Northern Canada, literally at the end of the road: support worker for people with disabilities with a local non-profit association. Before the beginning of every month, I request the days I want to work. Fun gig, I take peeps out on light outdoor activities, canoeing, hiking, bowling, going to the pool, the movies: $26 per hour having a blast, pretty much like the fun summer camp counsellor jobs we had when we were seventeen. I'll do this until I can no longer do it physically.

Side hustle #3, remote via conference call of no more than a couple of hours, with bi-annual face-to-face meetings: sit as a board member on a regulatory board. Interesting job, we have professional staff who do the leg work, we review their work, say yay or nay, etc. Honorarium is $350 a day, nets me on average $1200 a month, travel and expenses are paid on top of my honorarium.

fiveroundshootout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #719 on: October 28, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »

Impressive, fiveroundshootout! What sort of work do you do on that site? Do you have any tips/recommendations for folks getting started there?

Mostly digital marketing and SEO services such as content marketing, backlinks, and e-commerce optimization. My tip would be to create good gig images and videos, and if you want to get a boost get some people to buy and review your service. Fiverr is good at giving new people a chance to shine by bumping them up in the rankings so that is your time to prove yourself when you are first starting out. Fiverr currently makes me more than my full-time job and I get to work when I want, it's been great!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:47 PM »
I sell products on Amazon through the FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) program. A bit more than half of what's sold on Amazon is from third-party sellers like myself, not Amazon itself. FBA lets me ship a box of products into Amazon and they handle all of the shipping to customers - far cheaper than I could on my own.

Currently I'm selling mostly grocery products from local manufacturers. I buy cases at wholesale prices and sell for about 3-4x what I paid. These are items that can be found at a local grocery store but not outside the area because the manufacturer doesn't have nationwide distribution. I can but it for $5 at Walmart, or $4 at wholesale, but people on Amazon will pay $15 for it.

Currently I'm just selling a couple of products from two manufacturers but I net a couple hundred per month. I plan on scaling up as I've found a couple other manufacturers with similar products and potential profit margins.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: October 29, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
Sounds great, Michael in ABQ. How did you get started in this? Just with Kickfurther or some other avenue?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
Sounds great, Michael in ABQ. How did you get started in this? Just with Kickfurther or some other avenue?

Got started with this thread a couple of years ago. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/entrepreneurship/selling-on-amazon-prime-via-fulfillment-(amazon-fba)-anyone-try-this/

Some things have changed since then. I started out with retail arbitrage. Basically find an item at a local store like Walmart, preferably on clearance. Scan it with the Amazon Seller app on your phone and it will show what it's currently selling for. If there's a large enough profit margin you buy it, stick it in a box, and send it off to Amazon FBA. For instance I found some relatively high-end European brand tanning lotion in a Walmart clearance aisle selling for about $3 a bottle. It was out of stock from the normal seller on Amazon and I was able to see all 7 in a week or two for about $15 each. After shipping and fees I probably made $5-6 for each one.

Since then I took a piece of advice from that thread and identified some local grocery products. I contacted the manufacturers, setup a wholesale account and now I've got a few product that sell consistently 10-30 units per month with each sale netting $2-5 in profit after all fees. My overhead is less than $100 a month for the professional seller account and some accounting software.

Kickfurther is something I heard about on an excellent eCommerce podcast, EcomCrew. Ecommerce is cashflow intensive, especially for most products being produced in China. Typically from first deposit to actually be able to sell a product and get your first payment from Amazon is several months. So if you have $50,000 in product you might double or triple your investment but before you even sell through that production run you need to order more. Kickfurther lets businesses crowdsource funding and they offer very attractive returns with pretty low risk. They've been operating for a few years and they've gotten down to a delinquency rate of about 1%. Typically these businesses offer 5-10% returns for about a 6 month investment, so 10-20% annualized. That's still cheaper than using a factoring service or loans from Amazon or Cabbage or some other online lenders. If you use my referral code we each get $10. https://www.kickfurther.com/buyer-referral/mfzrmqzpff Also, you can use a credit card for funding the purchases so it's a great way to manufacture spending for earning credit card rewards. I've invested about $2,000 on 5-6 different products. Should start getting payouts in January.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:15:33 PM by Michael in ABQ »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #723 on: October 30, 2019, 03:49:03 AM »

Got started with this thread a couple of years ago. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/entrepreneurship/selling-on-amazon-prime-via-fulfillment-(amazon-fba)-anyone-try-this/

Some things have changed since then. I started out with retail arbitrage. Basically find an item at a local store like Walmart, preferably on clearance. Scan it with the Amazon Seller app on your phone and it will show what it's currently selling for. If there's a large enough profit margin you buy it, stick it in a box, and send it off to Amazon FBA. For instance I found some relatively high-end European brand tanning lotion in a Walmart clearance aisle selling for about $3 a bottle. It was out of stock from the normal seller on Amazon and I was able to see all 7 in a week or two for about $15 each. After shipping and fees I probably made $5-6 for each one.

Since then I took a piece of advice from that thread and identified some local grocery products. I contacted the manufacturers, setup a wholesale account and now I've got a few product that sell consistently 10-30 units per month with each sale netting $2-5 in profit after all fees. My overhead is less than $100 a month for the professional seller account and some accounting software.

Kickfurther is something I heard about on an excellent eCommerce podcast, EcomCrew. Ecommerce is cashflow intensive, especially for most products being produced in China. Typically from first deposit to actually be able to sell a product and get your first payment from Amazon is several months. So if you have $50,000 in product you might double or triple your investment but before you even sell through that production run you need to order more. Kickfurther lets businesses crowdsource funding and they offer very attractive returns with pretty low risk. They've been operating for a few years and they've gotten down to a delinquency rate of about 1%. Typically these businesses offer 5-10% returns for about a 6 month investment, so 10-20% annualized. That's still cheaper than using a factoring service or loans from Amazon or Cabbage or some other online lenders. If you use my referral code we each get $10. Invest in inventory for eCommerce businesses with KickFurther and earn 10-20% annualized returns for 4-8 month investments. Use my referral code and we each get $10.
https://www.kickfurther.com/buyer-referral/mfzrmqzpff Also, you can use a credit card for funding the purchases so it's a great way to manufacture spending for earning credit card rewards. I've invested about $2,000 on 5-6 different products. Should start getting payouts in January.

@Michael in ABQ Can I join this and invest with a small amount first? And does it work if I am only an investor and not selling the products myself? Does ik still give the return you mention above?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #724 on: October 30, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »

Kickfurther is something I heard about on an excellent eCommerce podcast, EcomCrew. Ecommerce is cashflow intensive, especially for most products being produced in China. Typically from first deposit to actually be able to sell a product and get your first payment from Amazon is several months. So if you have $50,000 in product you might double or triple your investment but before you even sell through that production run you need to order more. Kickfurther lets businesses crowdsource funding and they offer very attractive returns with pretty low risk. They've been operating for a few years and they've gotten down to a delinquency rate of about 1%. Typically these businesses offer 5-10% returns for about a 6 month investment, so 10-20% annualized. That's still cheaper than using a factoring service or loans from Amazon or Cabbage or some other online lenders. If you use my referral code we each get $10. Invest in inventory for eCommerce businesses with KickFurther and earn 10-20% annualized returns for 4-8 month investments. Use my referral code and we each get $10.
https://www.kickfurther.com/buyer-referral/mfzrmqzpff Also, you can use a credit card for funding the purchases so it's a great way to manufacture spending for earning credit card rewards. I've invested about $2,000 on 5-6 different products. Should start getting payouts in January.

@Michael in ABQ Can I join this and invest with a small amount first? And does it work if I am only an investor and not selling the products myself? Does ik still give the return you mention above?

Absolutely. For legal purposes you are purchasing inventory on consignment, not investing directly in the company. When the company raising money sells that product, they pay you back with a pre-specified amount of profit. Each co-op funding is setup a little differently. The minimum investment might be $30 or it might be $800. For instance there is a beauty supply company that is raising money today for buying a hair removal product. The price for one package is $864.99. The profit is $81.69 per package for a return of 9.44% over an expected period of 10.5 months. Some other co-ops I've invested in had prices of $50-200 and timelines of about 5-6 months.

One thing to note is that the supply of investors outweighs the supply of companies raising money. So these typically fund in a couple of hours.

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #725 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »
I've been doing tons of research on this! I recently met a couple who make and sell candles full-time. The wife left a career in Speech Pathology to pursue their candle making business, and I'm guessing they're doing well enough because they've been at for a few years now. It inspired me to learn about craft making as a way to make extra cash. I took a chunky blanket making class for $65 and perfected the skill with some practice and YouTube videos. I found a wholesaler and began selling my products in a local market to test out interest. It's only been 2 weeks, so we will see how it turns out...but it is something I really enjoy. I am also learning how to make candles, body butters, and re-finish furniture as well to see if those might be income opportunities.

I saw that someone mentioned selling books from Goodwill on Amazon a while back. An alternative to this would be purchasing brand new books from the dollar store. I saw a video on Youtube recently of a guy who does this and he does pretty well with this!

I also think print on demand or drop shipping are great opportunities. Apparantly there are plenty of print and demand companies online... you could type VEGAN on a t-shirt in some special font and there are people who will buy it on Etsy and your print on demand company will create and send the item to the buyer without you ever seeing it.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #726 on: November 01, 2019, 08:45:53 AM »
I've been doing tons of research on this! I recently met a couple who make and sell candles full-time. The wife left a career in Speech Pathology to pursue their candle making business, and I'm guessing they're doing well enough because they've been at for a few years now. It inspired me to learn about craft making as a way to make extra cash. I took a chunky blanket making class for $65 and perfected the skill with some practice and YouTube videos. I found a wholesaler and began selling my products in a local market to test out interest. It's only been 2 weeks, so we will see how it turns out...but it is something I really enjoy. I am also learning how to make candles, body butters, and re-finish furniture as well to see if those might be income opportunities.

I saw that someone mentioned selling books from Goodwill on Amazon a while back. An alternative to this would be purchasing brand new books from the dollar store. I saw a video on Youtube recently of a guy who does this and he does pretty well with this!

I also think print on demand or drop shipping are great opportunities. Apparantly there are plenty of print and demand companies online... you could type VEGAN on a t-shirt in some special font and there are people who will buy it on Etsy and your print on demand company will create and send the item to the buyer without you ever seeing it.

Very cool. Please post a link. Maybe I'll get one as my Secret Santa gift at work.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #727 on: December 01, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
Today I had my first mushroom picking course for a company on their yearly social day. I gave a presentation and then we went looking for mushrooms in the forest. It was fun to do and nice weather. I got very positive feedback and can us them as a later reference. I also sold one bag of dried mushrooms that I have prepared as a next sidegig.

Your mushroom picking stories make me smile every time. I'd love to do (and learn how to do) something like this. I went once in Bosnia with my boyfriend at the time and his aunt and uncle. We had to clear each mushroom with his uncle, who knew what was what. We also weren't allowed to go without his uncle because he knew where the land mine free areas were. I didn't find any good ones (or land mines) but I had a lovely day hiking in the mountains.

Thanks, it is nice to walk in a forest, especially one without hidden landmines.
If you want to learn, my advice is to start with a thin beginner's book and try to learn a few species per year. Start with boletes, which are reasonably safe, in Norway at least.

I hunt hunt for mushrooms in the United States. There are people who lead mushroom hunts and charge for it, I usually hear them called “mushroom forays”.

In the past I have traded mushrooms for produce, I have thought about selling to local restaurants but have always been too busy.

I have also seen mushrooms for sale on Craigslist, but I have not done it myself.

There are lots of online resources / groups for hunting mushrooms. I am far from an expert, there are some deadly mushrooms, and some that will make you sick, the edible ones I hunt really can’t be confused with anything else.

The main edible ones here are (and not necessarily their scientific names) hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, hericium, morels, oyster mushrooms, lobster mushrooms (interesting because it’s actually a parasitic fungi that grows on an inedible mushroom, making it edible), lactarius indigo (not so much for its flavor as for its blue color), young dryads saddle (a polypore), chanterelles (I usually pass on because of bugs).

There are more but those are the easily identifiable ones, the boletes I tried are the only mushrooms to cause indigestion, and I haven’t learned the edible ones from the inedible ones by heart so I don’t pick them. I listed out the identifiable ones hopefully to show there are probably more edible mushrooms than most people are aware of. Some of the mushrooms can weigh several pounds, and they often grown in the same spot each year, so that makes it easier to collect them once you find the right spots.

I mostly just like walking through the woods, going off the path and exploring the sights. I have collected dozens of old glass bottles from old dump sites, I have sold some for a dollar each, the antique market isn’t so great anymore, so it’s more of just a hobby to see what kinda of interesting things I can find.

I imagine leading the mushroom hunts would be the most profit for least time, I am not that much of a people person though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #728 on: December 01, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
Today I had my first mushroom picking course for a company on their yearly social day. I gave a presentation and then we went looking for mushrooms in the forest. It was fun to do and nice weather. I got very positive feedback and can us them as a later reference. I also sold one bag of dried mushrooms that I have prepared as a next sidegig.

Your mushroom picking stories make me smile every time. I'd love to do (and learn how to do) something like this. I went once in Bosnia with my boyfriend at the time and his aunt and uncle. We had to clear each mushroom with his uncle, who knew what was what. We also weren't allowed to go without his uncle because he knew where the land mine free areas were. I didn't find any good ones (or land mines) but I had a lovely day hiking in the mountains.

Thanks, it is nice to walk in a forest, especially one without hidden landmines.
If you want to learn, my advice is to start with a thin beginner's book and try to learn a few species per year. Start with boletes, which are reasonably safe, in Norway at least.

I hunt hunt for mushrooms in the United States. There are people who lead mushroom hunts and charge for it, I usually hear them called “mushroom forays”.

In the past I have traded mushrooms for produce, I have thought about selling to local restaurants but have always been too busy.

I have also seen mushrooms for sale on Craigslist, but I have not done it myself.

There are lots of online resources / groups for hunting mushrooms. I am far from an expert, there are some deadly mushrooms, and some that will make you sick, the edible ones I hunt really can’t be confused with anything else.

The main edible ones here are (and not necessarily their scientific names) hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, hericium, morels, oyster mushrooms, lobster mushrooms (interesting because it’s actually a parasitic fungi that grows on an inedible mushroom, making it edible), lactarius indigo (not so much for its flavor as for its blue color), young dryads saddle (a polypore), chanterelles (I usually pass on because of bugs).

There are more but those are the easily identifiable ones, the boletes I tried are the only mushrooms to cause indigestion, and I haven’t learned the edible ones from the inedible ones by heart so I don’t pick them. I listed out the identifiable ones hopefully to show there are probably more edible mushrooms than most people are aware of. Some of the mushrooms can weigh several pounds, and they often grown in the same spot each year, so that makes it easier to collect them once you find the right spots.

I mostly just like walking through the woods, going off the path and exploring the sights. I have collected dozens of old glass bottles from old dump sites, I have sold some for a dollar each, the antique market isn’t so great anymore, so it’s more of just a hobby to see what kinda of interesting things I can find.

I imagine leading the mushroom hunts would be the most profit for least time, I am not that much of a people person though.

Strange that you pass chantarelles for the bugs. In Norway the cantharellus cibarius is one of the most popular edible ones, especially because it doesn't have bugs.

I have a friend who owns a catering company and is cook, and approved for being good on mushrooms. He picks commercially and sells to restaurants, as well as using it in their own catering.

I put some mushrooms for sale on our equivalent of graig's list, but ended up selling it for half the price to a friend. I didn't get any strangers to buy there. It is not worth the hassle.

I also have another friend who has written a mushroom cookbook with her own artsy pictures. That is a way of making at least some money.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:01:33 AM by Linea_Norway »

sabanist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #729 on: December 02, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »
I love seeing these side gig ideas from people doing it.  I dont think I've ever had an original idea in my life so my side gig is pretty boring.  I own some rental property and manage it myself.  Brings in 1100/mo.

Finding and acquiring good deals is a part time job.  Managing rentals isn't so time consuming so long as you screen correctly. 

When I retire, (about 9 years) I'm getting my homebuilders license reinstated.  I was a homebuilder before the 2008 crash.  After learning some hard lessons, i think i can be more successful the second time around. 

I see people doing consulting work.  I feel like there is some type of consulting work i could do given my skillset and training.  I have a masters in cyber security and 11 years as a fed.  Not sure how one becomes a consultant. 

I did a research project on internet anonymity and criminality.  Maybe I could post something like that on udemy or fiverr or something in a more educational format.   

I've also thought about writing an ebook on personal finance geared toward a niche market. 

Dare2Dream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #730 on: April 17, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
I sell products on Amazon through the FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) program. A bit more than half of what's sold on Amazon is from third-party sellers like myself, not Amazon itself. FBA lets me ship a box of products into Amazon and they handle all of the shipping to customers - far cheaper than I could on my own.

Currently I'm selling mostly grocery products from local manufacturers. I buy cases at wholesale prices and sell for about 3-4x what I paid. These are items that can be found at a local grocery store but not outside the area because the manufacturer doesn't have nationwide distribution. I can but it for $5 at Walmart, or $4 at wholesale, but people on Amazon will pay $15 for it.

Currently I'm just selling a couple of products from two manufacturers but I net a couple hundred per month. I plan on scaling up as I've found a couple other manufacturers with similar products and potential profit margins.

I am always hesitant to sell anything like food or anything that could possible be used to injure someone for fear of being sued.  How do you insure yourself against this?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #731 on: April 17, 2020, 11:08:34 PM »

I am always hesitant to sell anything like food or anything that could possible be used to injure someone for fear of being sued.  How do you insure yourself against this?

Right now I'm mainly selling things like spices. Pretty hard for someone to get sick or injured from that. Plus, I'm getting it directly from the manufacturers and they have shelf lives of 2-5 years. If something did happen I imagine they would look to the multi-million dollar manufacturer with deep pockets, or the billion dollar company with deep pockets, rather than the sole proprietor whom most buyers don't even realize exists. They just assume they're buying a product from Amazon.

If this ramps up to the point where my sales hit six figures I'll probably add an insurance policy and change my structure to an LLC. At the moment though, the risk is not worth the extra cost and effort.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #732 on: May 13, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
I edit academic papers. I've got a MPA and I'm a native English speaker. It's satisfying. It scratches the itch of wanting to start my own small  business, and the itch of wanting to write and edit.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #733 on: May 25, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
I edit academic papers. I've got a MPA and I'm a native English speaker. It's satisfying. It scratches the itch of wanting to start my own small  business, and the itch of wanting to write and edit.

How did you get started doing that? Also, is it something that you need an MPA for, or can anyone with an advanced degree (and published history) do it?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: May 30, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »

How did you get started doing that? Also, is it something that you need an MPA for, or can anyone with an advanced degree (and published history) do it?

@BuffaloStache sorry, didn't see your reply.

I got started when some friends started asking me to take a look at their papers, and another friend paid me $150 to edit her book. I started advertising here and there and got a few customers.

Having a Master's means I know the anatomy of a research paper, and I have some exposure to MLA and APA citations. I know you use simple past tense in the literature review to talk about current research, but use present tense in the results section. I know there are times when you write out the number seven, and times you use the numeral. I know there's stuff I don't know about how other fields write and present their research, and I know to look stuff up.

So yeah, I'd say having a Master's is important. It's not the be all and end all, but it certainly helps.

Some of my clients are ESL. Some of them put their papers through a translation bot. I can hear some of you groaning as you read this. Being able to figure out what they were trying to say, keeping a record of what I can't puzzle out, keeping the client up to date and asking them questions so they get a good edit, that's also important.

I go through each paper a couple of times and track the changes I make. My customers get a clean copy, and a copy with the changes so they can see what I changed and what I didn't.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »
This woman thought she found a way to make money. Guess it didn't work out for her.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/woman-cut-off-hand-insurance-payout

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #736 on: January 03, 2022, 04:52:10 PM »
I found this thread recently and just finished reading through it. There's so many great ideas - thanks to everyone who posted.

I don't have much to add since my side gig is pretty standard. I do freelance consulting, mainly building/maintaining websites, doing email marketing, and creating or enhancing Excel templates (including VBA macros).

I am surprised to see this thread go dormant and since it's been a while, I thought it was worth bumping to see if there are any new contributors. Given the pandemic and the shift to WFH, I gotta imagine there are plenty of people with some new ideas. Let's hear 'em :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: January 03, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »
I did some tech consulting on the side for about a year - last month they offered me a staff position (which landed me a 44% raise!). :)

navyswim01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #738 on: January 03, 2022, 06:52:44 PM »
I work as a developmental editor or substantial editor for a couple of publishers on the side. I also provide accreditation renewal consulting for several small, private liberal arts universities.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #739 on: March 28, 2022, 07:12:00 AM »
Used to do e-commerce until unfortunate things happened w/ my business partner. I think it's still a good way to go for a lot of folks that don't have a ton of specialization already.

Nowadays, I mostly focus on coding up bots to do arbitrage.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #740 on: April 02, 2022, 04:49:23 PM »
I did some tech consulting on the side for about a year - last month they offered me a staff position (which landed me a 44% raise!). :)

I retired for 3 years and then went back to the corporate world with 52% raise from my last corp job. Since I am still relatively young and no financial dependency on the job, I don't mind working for a few years so I consider it as my side gig.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #741 on: April 02, 2022, 09:20:48 PM »
I do Mystery Shopping. I contract with companies to go in and experience their product and then tell them how it went.

For instance, tonight I had Mexican food on the beach here in the Seattle area. I clocked when servers brought food, when I ordered it, how the service was, the cleanliness and the food quality. In exchange, I get a great meal and $10-20 each time.

Another good one is that I will fill out loan applications using predetermined information to capture interest rates. It usually scares people away because it is financial but it doesn't do a hard pull on your credit and nets me $250 every three months.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #742 on: April 05, 2022, 03:43:30 PM »
Another good one is that I will fill out loan applications using predetermined information to capture interest rates. It usually scares people away because it is financial but it doesn't do a hard pull on your credit and nets me $250 every three months.
Can you elaborate on this a bit please?

My first thought was that you were basically swapping Credit Cards, as many of them have bonuses to use them for awhile.

But you mentioned instead that you were doing so to capture what are I assume lower interest rates.

Not sure how that would consistently work or get you $250 every 3 months.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #743 on: April 10, 2022, 07:55:04 PM »
Can you elaborate on this a bit please?

Yeah, sure thing. So, I do churn credit cards and bank account bonuses but that is different.

Instead, I work with a company that wants to know their competitors' rates so I go in and check with a specific income/debt ratio they provide. I stop before they do a hard pull but they give the rates. It usually nets me about $250/quarter. It is pretty sweet.

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »
Last year I started a side hustle. I sell 3D printed items and also 3D print custom orders for people through Etsy. Another chunk of my side income last year was designing Peloton accessories for a friends Amazon store, although I doubt that continues much this year (everything launched last year). Will be working with him to find new products to go after!

mpellas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2022, 07:35:22 PM »
I was doing arbitrage sports betting for a while... before I moved to a different state. It's a guaranteed win as you're playing errors in the odds on one event... not the even outcome. Nice side cash and I wish I could do it where I currently live.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2022, 07:49:27 PM »
I was doing arbitrage sports betting for a while... before I moved to a different state. It's a guaranteed win as you're playing errors in the odds on one event... not the even outcome. Nice side cash and I wish I could do it where I currently live.

Just keep in mind from the point of view of the IRS if you win $5,000 on one bet but lose $4,500 on a matching bet - you still have $5,000 in income to report - not $500. You can only deduct the losses if you're a professional gambler.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #747 on: April 19, 2022, 05:55:48 AM »
I'm FIREd, so all I have now is side gigs. Not interested in full-time employment at this point.

#1. I do photography mostly as a hobby. I've made some money selling canvas of my prints and I've got a gig teaching a basic photography class that looks like it will continue with other topics like photo processing.

#2. This summer I'll be a TA making almost nothing for an online course taught by the Naval War College. In December, I'll get my own cohort and for about 4 hours a week of work on blackboard, I'll make about $22K a year.

There are two purposes to the war college gig: First is to keep me connected in some way to the service. Second is to give me income that "counts" to be able to continue contributing to my Roth IRA. I discovered after I retired that neither my military pension income or my VA disability income counts for purposes of contributing to an IRA.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #748 on: July 12, 2022, 12:47:48 AM »
I have an e-commerce store and I’ve just started to get some orders. Everything is automated, so it isn’t a lot of work, perhaps 5 hours a week. So very excited about where it can go.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #749 on: August 18, 2022, 09:37:49 PM »
I have used "scrap" wood (good quality hardwood) to make chunky puzzles for kids on the jigsaw.
Also, I've sewn teddy bears and toys made from natural fabrics (using goodwill/second-hand 100% cotton, silk, or wool shirts as my fabric source). Sewing dolls and doll clothes.
Converting wedding gowns into baptism gowns... (sort of stressful!)
 Making baby blankets (sewn or crochet).
I really need to find time to do this all again. I love making stuff!
 I have found the Waldorf groups buy this kind of stuff up like crazy, as long as it's all natural fibers. Probably not a high hourly rate, but I love turning nothing into something. I made enough profit to cover Christmas gifts for my kids and family each year I crafted. I have been too busy the last couple of years, but hope to start again!
I was thinking of teaching a community class on how to crochet.... I don't know how much money it would make, but I think it would be worth a shot and force me to do some socializing!
I'm an accountant, so these types of things are good therapy to balance my stress of monthly reports, audits, and year-end/1099 season  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:46:57 PM by nyxst »