Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 179272 times)

HipGnosis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #550 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
For now, I'm building a website to provide eBay users with pages of listings that are well-refined and filtered so they save time from searching on eBay. I'm always looking for more people to work with, and I am making some other useful tools for them, so if you're someone who's into buying and selling on sites like eBay/Amazon, etc., contact me and maybe we can help each other out!

That website sounds pretty useless.  Why would anyone search for eBay listings anywhere else than on eBay?

Unless I'm missing something.
I can't wait for the site to be up.  Searching eBay listings is excruciating!!  On my most recent search, I HAD to scroll through and click 'next' through THIRTY pages before I found what I was looking for!!

gredenko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #551 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »

I think it sounds useful, gredenko. I thought that that sounded like something I'd like to use when you first described it. Good luck to you!

Thanks! It does provide a lot of help to the few who use it already.

I can't wait for the site to be up.  Searching eBay listings is excruciating!!  On my most recent search, I HAD to scroll through and click 'next' through THIRTY pages before I found what I was looking for!!

Right.. and it's exactly this kind of thinking from people who assume everything of value is on the front page, who create the market for resellers to make consistent profits.

NorthernDreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #552 on: May 03, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
I have an Etsy shop that I run on the side of being a parent and having a day job. It involves a niche jewelry market. It keeps me as busy as I want to be now. It's great since I enjoy making the items, and if no one bought them, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep making them.

I've been at it for almost two years and have over 700 sales. I will say that the "business" side to a creative outlet is waaaaay more work that I expected. But it's nice being able to put the shop on vacation when I need a break, since I don't depend on the income. Any profit goes straight to investments.

CargoBiker

• Bristles
    • Urban Tribe Cargo Bicycles
« Reply #553 on: May 03, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
I have an Etsy shop that I run on the side of being a parent and having a day job. It involves a niche jewelry market. It keeps me as busy as I want to be now. It's great since I enjoy making the items, and if no one bought them, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep making them.

I've been at it for almost two years and have over 700 sales. I will say that the "business" side to a creative outlet is waaaaay more work that I expected. But it's nice being able to put the shop on vacation when I need a break, since I don't depend on the income. Any profit goes straight to investments.

Look into partnering with a manufacture to make your jewelry, and you can make more money and input less time.

Etsy recently began to allow sellers to do this, but you have to apply for the program in order to do this on your account.

They might even be able to help you find a manufacturer: https://www.etsy.com/manufacturing
Owner - Urban Tribe Cargo Bicycles

🚲 The Bike for Urban Families 🚲

Kids in Front | Wooden Cargo Box with 2 Benches | Electric Assist Motor | 3 Wheels

Rediscover Your City Join the Tribe

www.urbantribecargobicycles.com

NorthernDreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #554 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
Look into partnering with a manufacture to make your jewelry, and you can make more money and input less time.

Etsy recently began to allow sellers to do this, but you have to apply for the program in order to do this on your account.

They might even be able to help you find a manufacturer: https://www.etsy.com/manufacturing

Thanks for the tip. The type of jewelry I make doesn't lend itself to outside manufacturing - it's part of what draws customers to me.  For now, I am happy with it as a side gig. Luckily it does involve skill but now that I have my silversmithing set up and my process down pat, the cost per item is fairly low. There are multiple steps involved and I batch-process pieces. It's worked out to me making $30-$40 CAD an hour (with the cost of materials built into the item price).

msmarieh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married woman on a journey to FI
« Reply #555 on: May 28, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »
I started a side gig in January 2014. I lead online webinars and study groups preparing students for a couple certifications. I'm a big fish in a very small niche. LOL

The business has grown to bringing in about $6K a month average while still remaining part time (10-20 hours a week).

independence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »
My Appen Butler Hill 'side hustle' is rapidly becoming my main hustle. I'm at almost 30 hours/week now.

It's definitely making me feel more secure in my income so I'm revisiting starting an eBay business that can be outsourced in a year or so to be a passive income.

independence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #557 on: May 29, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »

What are the business things that take up your time? I'm not an Etsy seller (just eBay) but I've been thinking about trying out Etsy too. :)

Manguy888

• Stubble
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #558 on: May 30, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I have helped a few people in town take memoirs or other manuscripts and turn them into "real books" using my knowledge of Scrivener, Amazon, Createspace, etc. Sometimes I add light editing, and charge a small add-on fee ifor stuff like buying barcodes, ISBN numbers, etc.

Most recently I helped a local guy turn his memoir into a book and charged him $750 for about 10 hours of work. I was also able to kick my artist friend the work for the cover design. The internet is clogged with people and companies that want to help you publish a book for super cheap but the older clients I've dealt with want a little more hand holding and don't want to have to figure out any of the technology parts. They definitely aren't signing into Fiverr.

I don't know if this will grow or fizzle out but it's been a lot of fun
I write books but mostly I read them.
http://tinyurl.com/h7gy9gl
Litsy: @eamann

step-in-time

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: May 30, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
I have helped a few people in town take memoirs or other manuscripts and turn them into "real books" using my knowledge of Scrivener, Amazon, Createspace, etc. Sometimes I add light editing, and charge a small add-on fee ifor stuff like buying barcodes, ISBN numbers, etc.

Most recently I helped a local guy turn his memoir into a book and charged him $750 for about 10 hours of work. I was also able to kick my artist friend the work for the cover design. The internet is clogged with people and companies that want to help you publish a book for super cheap but the older clients I've dealt with want a little more hand holding and don't want to have to figure out any of the technology parts. They definitely aren't signing into Fiverr.

I don't know if this will grow or fizzle out but it's been a lot of fun

This is really interesting. I'd used The Book Patch to cheaply print a book previously (which was super easy), but never thought of offering this type of thing as a service for those who might be really tech challenged. Great idea!

Manguy888

• Stubble
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #560 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »

This is really interesting. I'd used The Book Patch to cheaply print a book previously (which was super easy), but never thought of offering this type of thing as a service for those who might be really tech challenged. Great idea!

Thanks. What's really cool is that I'm not promising someone that they'll make a bunch of money publishing their book or some other pyramid scheme nonsense. Most of them just want to hold a book in their hands that they wrote and they're cool with the fact that only a few hundred friends and family will buy.
I write books but mostly I read them.
http://tinyurl.com/h7gy9gl
Litsy: @eamann

NorthernDreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »

What are the business things that take up your time? I'm not an Etsy seller (just eBay) but I've been thinking about trying out Etsy too. :)

The business things that take more time than I expected include: sourcing materials, taking pictures for listings, writing listings, optimizing SEO, bookkeeping, answering customer inquiries (I offer custom made pieces, which require some back and forth), and managing social media (Facebook and Instagram).