Author Topic: Where to find employees?  (Read 4030 times)

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
Where to find employees?
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
We are in the fortunate position to be looking to hire another person(contractor, legally) for our biz. Does anyone know of good websites to post jobs that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money? I worry a bit about just posting to Craigslist due to how much spam/fraud on there.

The business is specialized in the medical field, so the supply is somewhat limited. We will be posting the job with universities in the area, but would like to also like exposure to people with experience. We have also reached out to colleagues in the field with no bites yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I'm keeping this a bit vague for anonymity sake)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:28:51 PM by BigHaus89 »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where to find employees?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
I've had good luck with Guru.com in the past (for small projects, though, not for long-term contract gigs).

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
I have been surprised in past at how powerful and economical it is to use Craigslist. BTW, this hasn't necessarily been for low-skilled people but regularly for highly-skilled, low supply professionals (CPAs in Seattle area). So I would try that...

P.S. I'm comparing Craigslist, BTW, to indeed.com, monster.com, the state CPA society's website, etc.

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
What kind of job/work is it? I've done work for the medical device industry on the marketing side and built up a network of people I've worked with, maybe a referral. Also, what about LinkedIn?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
If you post the job description on this forum, I bet you'll have a lot of interested applicants. And frankly, I don't think there are a better pool of applicants than this forum!

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
If it's related to bio tech at all, try BioPharmGuy.com. Job postings there are free to employers.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
What kind of job/work is it? I've done work for the medical device industry on the marketing side and built up a network of people I've worked with, maybe a referral. Also, what about LinkedIn?

Does it cost money to post a job on LinkedIn?

The job is in the therapy field.

wanderin1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »
I wouldn’t rule out Craigslist too quickly. It can be a great resource. The secret is to design your ad so it immediately weeds out the ill-suited. For example, in a fast growing business I ran, we needed a constant supply of people for a position where a key skill was the ability to follow to-the-letter, ever-changing written instructions. Our ad included instructions for a specific phrase to use as the subject line of any reply. From there, it was simple. Any reply that lacked the correct subject line didn’t get considered—because we already knew the applicant didn’t have the required instruction-following skill level. You can find a version of this that will fit the job you have on offer.

And as far as weeding out scam and fraud, our positions mostly required a background check--and we said so in our ad. I’ve been told by HR experts that that weeded out most of the scammers and fraudsters right there. And, happily, we never had a staff problem with that. YMMV. 

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Schools within a few hours drive probably also have alumni listings

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:17 AM »
There are plenty of employees to find, just make sure you hire slow and hire the correct one each time. Go through a minimum of 3 interviews (1 should be on the phone). If finding good workers was easy.... everyone would be doing it. :)

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »

I don't know the cost for a LinkedIn job posting. Whenever someone in my network is looking to fill a position, they just ask in general if anyone knows anybody for whatever job and it shows up in my feed.

eyerishgold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
We use Indeed.com. I have a logistics company and we've had no issues finding a good supply of qualified applicants through them. It's free to post but you can pay for better placement on their site. We've always used the free placement and have never had issues.

Mr. Llama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:49 PM »
We are in the fortunate position to be looking to hire another person(contractor, legally) for our biz. Does anyone know of good websites to post jobs that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money? I worry a bit about just posting to Craigslist due to how much spam/fraud on there.

The business is specialized in the medical field, so the supply is somewhat limited. We will be posting the job with universities in the area, but would like to also like exposure to people with experience. We have also reached out to colleagues in the field with no bites yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I'm keeping this a bit vague for anonymity sake)

Since you seem to have an established business, have you tried tapping your suppliers or other business contacts? A few years back I realized a sales guy in our supplier seemed unhappy with his job, so we ended up poaching him over to our business. Even if you don't want to go down that route there is always someone who knows someone.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
Professional associations often keep job lists. Mine allows employers to post for free.
Not sure why the secrecy about the kind of person you need to hire - if you were specific you'd probably get *exactly* what you need from posters here, including links to the sites you want to post on.

ejacobson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:46 AM »

Yes, LinkedIn will cost per day (you get so many clicks) but you get to set your own budget. You can enter the position info and see what the estimated cost will be before submitting it. It works well for IT positions and I imagine would do the same for other specialty fields.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
I appreciate all the input! We were able to find someone(classmate of DW). We will likely need to hire someone in the future, so I am glad you all gave us plenty of resources to find a good candidate.

As for secrecy, it would be very easy to find out who we were if I were to post many more details, as we work in a small community and have the only business of this type.