Author Topic: Want Some Help With Your Books?  (Read 3678 times)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
Want Some Help With Your Books?
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:49:25 AM »
Go figure, my happy place is bookkeeping and teaching business owners (and wanna be owners) about the logistics of managing numbers on paper/software, and also working with them to interpret those numbers (and the financial statements generated) to make good decisions going forward. I absolutely love this stuff and did it for years, happily.

My background is as a business advisor and also a director of a Small Business Development Center (https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/sbdc) and I've worked with hundreds and hundreds of mom and pop businesses, start-ups, and hobbyists. Now that I'm retired I really miss this part of my former job because it was the part that brought me the most joy.

Disclaimer - not a CPA, not a tax preparer. I can help you prepare stuff though to work more effectively with your accountant or tax person or attorney (saves you money). I understand the importance of confidentiality and will gladly sign a non-disclosure or whatever else you might need to feel comfortable.

QuickBooks is my fave, but I'm also familiar with some of the free online platforms (and can get up to speed easily). Need to set up some books? We can do that together.

What might this cost you ask? Nada baby. I'm FIRE'd and don't need your dough (which you probably don't have anyway, what with being a fledgling business to begin with, am I right?).

PM me and let's talk. I can provide links to articles I've written in our local paper, or LinkedIn or whatever if you need to verify I'm real. I'm a former business owner myself and have other professional credentials (MBA) if that matters. :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Re: Want Some Help With Your Books?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:42:47 PM »
Oh man, you are so nice! Congrats on FIRE! I wish you were Canadian :) haha.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
Go figure, my happy place is bookkeeping and teaching business owners (and wanna be owners) about the logistics of managing numbers on paper/software, and also working with them to interpret those numbers (and the financial statements generated) to make good decisions going forward. I absolutely love this stuff and did it for years, happily.

My background is as a business advisor and also a director of a Small Business Development Center (https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/sbdc) and I've worked with hundreds and hundreds of mom and pop businesses, start-ups, and hobbyists. Now that I'm retired I really miss this part of my former job because it was the part that brought me the most joy.

Disclaimer - not a CPA, not a tax preparer. I can help you prepare stuff though to work more effectively with your accountant or tax person or attorney (saves you money). I understand the importance of confidentiality and will gladly sign a non-disclosure or whatever else you might need to feel comfortable.

QuickBooks is my fave, but I'm also familiar with some of the free online platforms (and can get up to speed easily). Need to set up some books? We can do that together.

What might this cost you ask? Nada baby. I'm FIRE'd and don't need your dough (which you probably don't have anyway, what with being a fledgling business to begin with, am I right?).

PM me and let's talk. I can provide links to articles I've written in our local paper, or LinkedIn or whatever if you need to verify I'm real. I'm a former business owner myself and have other professional credentials (MBA) if that matters. :)

This is awesome!  I might just reach out to you.  I've been dog walking on Rover, etc. for a few years and just filed my LLC this summer.  I'm shopping for business insurance and hand writing my mileage/purchases... and kind of winging it.  I could likely use your help and experience! :)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:28 PM »
I want to be a bookkeeper! How did you get started?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ms. Maggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
Marcia was wonderful - she took so much time to help me over a couple of phone calls. It's made a big difference in the way I'm using my online Quickbooks. Highly recommend reaching out to her if you're just getting started!

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:15:05 AM »
I took up Marcia on her offer to help out small business owners with their books and she was awesome! I recently switched my consulting business to an S Corp and the added complexity or payroll accounting made me ignore my books all year (telling myself I would just figure it out later). When I saw this thread I reached out and she was kind enough to teach me what I needed to do to balance my accounts and made a lot of really smart suggestions. Since I use Wave Apps for my books (because it is free) she even took the time to familiarize herself with a new platform. I just added her as a user on the account so she could see what I had setup.

So now I can see actually use my books to track how much money I'm making and where my expenses are going. It is a big relief, especially as the year is ending, so I owe Marcia a big Thank You! If she isn't the nicest person on the internet she is probably it in the top 5. I highly recommend anyone to take her up on her offer if you are running a business and have questions about the numbers.

She even made a cheat sheet (specific to my company) of steps I needed to take after every payroll. How great is that?!

tag

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
Marcia, I've messaged you a couple times but I don't think it's going through - nothing in my sentbox on this forum. Are you seeing anything on your end?

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
Hey there tag - the message just came through a couple of hours ago. I'll respond directly, and am looking forward to working with you!

One thing you referenced was the SBDC near you (Small Business Development Centers) - I was the director of one in Salem, Oregon. They're fabulous, and provide business at no cost to business owners in their communities. I'm so glad that's a resource you've got in your pocket.

Anyone can locate the SBDC nearest them by doing a quick search here: https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/sbdc

mmmfan500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »
@MarciaB thanks for the taking the time to give me some insight into getting started as a bookkeeper!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 07:57:48 AM »
You are so welcome! And best of luck to you!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »
Thanks for the help @MarciaB

I've got an e-commerce side business and Marcia looked over my balance sheet and income statement and provided a second set of eyes that identified a few nagging issues I'd overlooked. She's also been available to answer several questions where my memory from college accounting classes 15 years ago have failed me.