Author Topic: Waiter/ Bartender as side hustle?  (Read 3352 times)

CheezM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Waiter/ Bartender as side hustle?
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »
Usually I've thought of a side hustle as being something you do on your own time/terms.  Is a waiter/bartender just a second job?  At my work, there are a few people that pick up shifts and they all call it their side hustles.  It seems to be spreading around the office as a few of the people are now picking up serving shifts.

A friend at work described it this way - she works in a desk job.  No exercise or socializing.  So she picks up some shifts at a restaurant.  2 - 3 a week.  The shifts are only a few hours and keeps her active.  Lot of socializing, and she makes about $15,000/year extra!

Anyone else here doing something similar?  I like the idea as no wear and tear on a car (Uber), no stress or unknown of running an Etsy shop or similar, or a blog that may or may not monetize.... but actual cash in hand and keeping you on your feet.  Thoughts?

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Waiter/ Bartender as side hustle?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
I suppose if you have the personality for it and are fine working the required hours (which would suck imo, almost all weekend/evening hours).

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »
I know a few young people who pick up some extra shifts in bars or at music festivals for some extra cash, mostly young people wanting to pay off student loans or save a deposit for a home asap. I also know that many employers aren't too happy about it and try to ban their employees from doing it, because they're afraid that their staff will be really tired at work. But as long as your employment contract doesn't ban you from taking on a second job, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I have my own business as a side hustle and that means a lot of the hours I put into my business are unpaid. I hope this will pay off in the long run, but it's a time and energy consuming way to make some extra money. If you really just want to make a bit of extra cash, picking up a few shifts in a second job is probably the easiest way to do it. I know someone who works one or two evening or night shifts a week in a food factory. Because they get paid extra for shift work, they actually make a decent amount of money per hour + good benefits.

actonyourown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
I have considered a second job for a long time, and still do because I have no ideas for a business and I would like another income stream while I pay off debts.  I have thought about delivering pizzas or working at my gym (both places are within walking distance of my apartment).  What holds me back is that I usually decide to double down on my full time job, and it has paid off as I have received promotions and bonuses.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
To me, it's a second job unless you have flexible scheduling / hours.
I've worked a few second jobs over the years, so I get it.
But now that I'm FIRE'd, I wish I would have started doing side gigs (hustle) sooner.   
To find what I like, what I'm good at, and maybe ones that have potential to grow.

P.S. wear and tear on the car is compensated by tax mileage deduction.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
I have a friend that does real well bar tending for fancy weddings and parties.   Wages are so so, but makes a lot on tips.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
My brother works in insurance but LOVES waiting tables.

When his job gets a little too boring, he waits tables for fun for a couple of months and to earn blow money. Then he usually spends the money on a trip. If you've got the kind of personality that finds joy in the service industry, you should go for it! You can always quit.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »

When his job gets a little too boring, he waits tables for fun for a couple of months and to earn blow money. Then he usually spends the money on a trip. If you've got the kind of personality that finds joy in the service industry, you should go for it! You can always quit.

I'm kind of the same way.  I love bartending and/or working catered events.  But I don't want to have to depend on it to pay the bills.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

snip...he waits tables for fun for a couple of months and to earn blow money. Then he usually spends the money on a trip. ....snip

Why would you waste blow money on a trip?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »

snip...he waits tables for fun for a couple of months and to earn blow money. Then he usually spends the money on a trip. ....snip

Why would you waste blow money on a trip?

'Cause at nice restaurants you can usually get the blow for free! (insert cymbal sound)

I realized after I typed it that "Blow money" sounds ridiculous, but that is just what my family has always called it :)

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:49 AM »
Something I've been trying to do since becoming more mustachian, is getting exercise.  I ride my bicycle to work several days a week now.  I am liking this idea of waiting tables, too.  On your feet, lots of walking, lots of movement.  And getting paid for it.  This sounds like a much better side hustle than sitting in front of a computer or operating a gas powered wheelchair for tourists.

What I don't like about it is the set schedules.  I don't like schedules!

Rick Imby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Whatever you are, be a good one--Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
A good friend of mine used to work just Friday nights at a local bar that was very busy.  He made 20-40 an hour and enjoyed the job.  It was a combination of making fun money and kinda like partying for him.

Another friend delivers pizza a couple of nights per week.  He likes to drive and usually makes over $20 per hour with tips.  Tips are better the quicker the pizza gets there.  He drives the company car so it is not wear and tear on his rig. 

When your normal job pays your expenses and a little bit of saving a couple of hundred extra per week goes a long ways toward Mustachianism.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »
I suppose if you have the personality for it and are fine working the required hours (which would suck imo, almost all weekend/evening hours).

I waited tables in college and enjoyed it. However, it hurt my travel opportunities. When I was younger I didn't really have the time or money to travel, so it didn't matter. Now that I have the time and money to travel, I would not be a waiter as a "side hustle" because it would hurt my opportunities to travel. I would do something more on my own terms.

I buy real estate and have 3 rentals. That is my side hustle.

SmileAllDay

• Stubble
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
I agree with clarkfan1979.

It really depends on your creature comforts or what you need from life.

In straight dollars and cents: HELL YES. I bartended in NYC for my first few years in the US and I couldn't recommend it enough.

But for me, it was a means to an end. It may be lucrative, but if it's tying you down, stressing you out, getting you involved in restaurant politics, eating into the time where you can relax or be with loved ones (or simply just 'be'), then the juice may not be worth the squeeze!

Best of luck with your decision my friend.

Rick Imby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Whatever you are, be a good one--Lincoln
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 05:40:51 PM »
Bartend and Waitress jobs tend to be hard to get but in many cases pay really well per hour.  If you have experience they are easier to get.  Delivering pizza also pays well with tips and many places you do not drive your own vehicle.