Author Topic: The lonely world of blogging... I need a friend  (Read 2322 times)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
The lonely world of blogging... I need a friend
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:57 AM »
I'm looking to find a blogging buddy with skill sets that are different from my own for mutual benefit. Someone who wants to check in every week or so, read over each other's work, help with technical issues, explore future avenues for development and maybe revenue...and just generally provide a "work group" for each other.

Sadly, the little blog I write (18 subscribers after 1 year...go team!) is pretty hopeless it seems, and I'd like to take on the challenge of actually doing it well (or better at least), but get stuck on my own. Are you in the same boat? Can we row along together?

Here's what I can offer you - First, I'm a proofreading demon. Nothing escapes my evil red pen. Nothing. Editing and writing issues in general are also in my wheelhouse. Second, I can also offer help on the business end of the deal, thinking about business model, revenue sources, strategic planning and assorted business matters (this was my former career).

Here's what I need - someone who actually likes the back end of Blue Host and Wordpress and can help me navigate the technical pieces. I don't know a widget from a plug-in and frankly don't want to. But maybe this is where your strengths lie?

Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The lonely world of blogging... I need a friend
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
This awesome blogger spoke at FinCon last year (she makes over $86k/month) and has tons of free tips and youtube tutorials walking through blue host and word press for non-technical people: https://www.busybudgeter.com/how-to-start-a-blog-when-you-arent-good-with-computers/
Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but might help a bit. Good luck!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
Thanks! I can use all the help I can get.

$86K/month? Wow. I wonder what her staffing/contractors situation looks like.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I believe she said 4 assistants at this point (none initially just starting out), but might have that wrong. Her session "Streamlined Results: How to Skyrocket Your Income While Working Less Than 20 Hours a Week" was worth the entire conference, though it was fun seeing MMM, Mad FIentist, Nords and other "FIRE celebrities". Money brings together a diverse group of people.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »
I'm looking to find a blogging buddy with skill sets that are different from my own for mutual benefit. Someone who wants to check in every week or so, read over each other's work, help with technical issues, explore future avenues for development and maybe revenue...and just generally provide a "work group" for each other.

Sadly, the little blog I write (18 subscribers after 1 year...go team!) is pretty hopeless it seems, and I'd like to take on the challenge of actually doing it well (or better at least), but get stuck on my own. Are you in the same boat? Can we row along together?

Here's what I can offer you - First, I'm a proofreading demon. Nothing escapes my evil red pen. Nothing. Editing and writing issues in general are also in my wheelhouse. Second, I can also offer help on the business end of the deal, thinking about business model, revenue sources, strategic planning and assorted business matters (this was my former career).

Here's what I need - someone who actually likes the back end of Blue Host and Wordpress and can help me navigate the technical pieces. I don't know a widget from a plug-in and frankly don't want to. But maybe this is where your strengths lie?

Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!
Marcia, if BaggyPop could be considered a personal-finance blog, then you could join the Rockstar Finance Forums and sign into the Blogger Lounge.  There are plenty of members there who'd be happy to mastermind & barter.

https://forums.rockstarfinance.com/

Look for the "Blogger Lounge" title on the categories page:
https://forums.rockstarfinance.com/categories

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:16 AM »
Hey, great idea, thanks Nords! Heading over there as we speak...

davebh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »
Interested

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »
Interested, if you haven't already buddied up :) I have a WordPress with about the same following.. :) feels like a winner! Hahaha!  Here is one post so you can get the idea of topics. https://againstallodds.press/2018/12/13/weaving-your-legacy/
It is sort of about getting your world back together as a single parent. And some about finance. I want to look over yours also.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:50:33 PM by nyxst »

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
Great!

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »
Yes! Very nice to connect in this way.  This is why I just love this forum!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!