Author Topic: Starting a cleaning businsess  (Read 2372 times)

wbsneed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starting a cleaning businsess
« on: September 24, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first ever post. I've been reading around for a few days, and that has bolstered my idea to start a cleaning business. I've thought about this off and on for a few months, and see no real drawbacks. I work full-time as a cop in Central TX, just for anyone's curiosity. My job allows me a good bit of time to send emails, set up scheduling, etc. I also have a sister-in-law who I can trust to help me get this off the ground without doing 100% of the work myself. My goal is to start the business and eventually hire 5 or so cleaners to do the labor.

I'm posting because I don't know what my first step ought to be. Do I have to be licensed or bonded? What about insurance? I'm hoping that I can build enough of a client base while working on the weekend or after 5pm, because I need to keep my day job. I have been told to develop a business plan, but what else needs to happen right now?

Many thanks in advance

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Starting a cleaning businsess
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »
Not licensed to practice in Texas, so this isn’t legal advice.

1. Decide on a business structure. DBA vs LLC vs corporation.
2. Pick your unique business name and register it with your state’s Division of Corporations or local county if DBA/fictitious name.
3. Obtain your FEIN.
4. Open company bank account/cards.
5. Obtain any applicable licenses and permits.

Here seems to be a good resource for your state. https://businessintexas.com/start-business

Also ensure you are complying with annual requirements depending on your business structure.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
Lexde has good ideas of first steps, I would add to find out what insurance you would need to cover yourself and any employees. Particularly if you are targeting cleaning services for businesses or for high income families. Are you wanting to target family home cleaning or business office cleaning? Your mention of wanting to work after 5pm or weekends would lend itself more towards business office cleaning.

eta: I remember @SC93 commenting about starting and running a cleaning business. It shows he was last active in April so I'm not sure if he got banned or just has been away for that long.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:24:28 PM by Proud Foot »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »
You need to invest in machines, better if best

Join the forum, one post later you post about someone needing to buy an expensive machine?  Not a good start if you intend to hang around here.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »
This sounds like a job for....@SC93

He had a ton of great advice for me, when I started my handyman business. He formerly owned and ran a highly successful cleaning business.