Author Topic: Starting a blog  (Read 8502 times)

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
Starting a blog
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
Is anyone is interested in starting a blog or website? I just published an article about it on my site. I explained how I went about it on my site with a tongue-in-cheek listicle. A lot of blog posts about blogging tend to not mention the business aspects. If anyone replies, I'll respond with a link to it.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Re: Starting a blog
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »
I'm interested!

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
One thing I will add to the article when I get a chance is: If you are trying to make money through any kind of advertising, subscription, or affiliate commission, you own and operate a publishing business with everything that entails.

https://tylersguides.com/opinion/how-to-start-a-blog-in-9-steps/

sideHustler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
Read your article and that's a really great start for beginners! Thanks for posting!

I'd like to add that if you plan to use organic search results as your inbound traffic strategy, your main priorities should be good keyword research for each article and acquiring high quality backlinks.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
Thank you @tyler2016, I will let you know if I get a blog set up with your instructions

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
Read your article and that's a really great start for beginners! Thanks for posting!

I'd like to add that if you plan to use organic search results as your inbound traffic strategy, your main priorities should be good keyword research for each article and acquiring high quality backlinks.

Very good advice on the back links. I almost let my hosting expire until I checked my traffic after almost a year of neglect and saw I was getting reasonable traffic on my OpenLDAP backup article. It was getting traffic because someone wrote an article on medium referencing it, which bumped it's rank up in search results. This helped my page rank on similar articles I posted after that.

SEO is as much a popularity contest as it is good content and meta tags.

natashaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:49:19 AM »
I have just started a BBQ related blog as i'm expert in that. I'll love to know how can i monetise my blog. Also, how can i get organic traffic?   

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
@natashaj,

Are you using a CMS? E.g. Wordpress? Basically, you need to populate the meta tags in your HTML headers for search engines. I'm using WordPress, so I use the Yoast SEO plugin for that. It also helps to get links to your site. Add your site as the home page on any message boards you frequent, blogs you comment on, etc. Search engines, use a combination of your meta tags, content, and links to your site to figure out when to return it as a result and in what order. If you haven't already, sign your site up for Bing Webmaster tools and Google Search Console and submit URLs when you add or change things. Since your site is food related, I would make heavy use of Pinterest. My wife frequently uses it for recipes.

Have you started a thread here asking for feedback?

natashaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
@tyler2016  Thanks for the reply. I heard people got penalty using a bad version on yoast, is this true ?. I'm using genesis theme . Yeah planning to start pinning. Just got canva subscription. 

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »
I haven't heard that about yoast.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
I have just started a BBQ related blog as i'm expert in that. I'll love to know how can i monetise my blog. Also, how can i get organic traffic?   

You can start by telling BBQ loving mustache people where we can find the site! Please post a link.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
If someone just follows STEP 1 on your site, they'd be set. I'm glad you led with the best info.

KateN1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 02:44:19 AM »
Writing and regular posting would be the hardest part for me.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
That was a really good guide. I was thinking of starting one with no intent to make a profit, simply as a way to document travels, preserve memories, and get ideas from any web traffic we do get. I'd probably only post when we take a trip, so 2-3 times per year at most.

However, those costs look to add up for something that I won't be be monetizing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:27:25 PM by DadJokes »

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 01:30:20 PM »
That was a really good guide. I was thinking of starting one with no intent to make a profit, simply as a way to document travels, preserve memories, and get ideas from any web traffic we do get. I'd probably only post when we take a trip, so 2-3 times per year at most.

However, those costs look to add up for something that I won't be be monetizing.

Thanks! If you don't want to spend any money and have no plans to make a business out of it, consider one of the free platforms like wordpress.com or blogger.

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
Hi, checked out your website.

At first I thought you had just started, then I scrolled around and saw you had ~100 guides! That's pretty great!

I would recommend making them more visible on the first page :)