Author Topic: Selling on ebay  (Read 3681 times)

Neo

• Stubble
Selling on ebay
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
A friend of mine told me he is making decent money selling beard and hair trimmer guards on ebay. Not the actual trimmers just the guards. I asked how he was doing this and he said he has a connection to buy them cheap enough to resell at a profit. He was pretty cryptic about this connection but said in the past he has done the same thing with perfumes and before that e-cigarettes. Any idea how people find consistent stocks of merchandise to resell on ebay as a business? Im not looking to make a fortune but it sounded like an interesting side gig. I would be interested even just making a few hundred a month if thats possible.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Selling on ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
Can you look up his ebay shop and see what he's selling? Sounds like he found some on alibaba/aliexpress and is reselling.
You could certainly do that. I know some people are selling cargo bikes for a hefty profit they purchase on alibaba too.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
He probably bought a pallet or 3 of them. If you decide to sell pallets, start with a small lot. You have to learn what you want to order, where to order from, how to sell the items and where to order the pallets from. Very tricky business.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »
A friend of mine told me he is making decent money selling beard and hair trimmer guards on ebay. Not the actual trimmers just the guards. I asked how he was doing this and he said he has a connection to buy them cheap enough to resell at a profit. He was pretty cryptic about this connection but said in the past he has done the same thing with perfumes and before that e-cigarettes. Any idea how people find consistent stocks of merchandise to resell on ebay as a business? Im not looking to make a fortune but it sounded like an interesting side gig. I would be interested even just making a few hundred a month if thats possible.

Everyone who does this is very cryptic.  If someone knows of a good product to sell, they aren't going to let others in on it. Because then the market floods with competition and you have to find a new product.

Just be careful- I had a friend who made a good living with tablet case covers for a few years. Then they were rejected by FBA and weren't selling great on ebay and he was caught with 10,000 of them. 

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
I sold every business I had and was going to retire.... that lasted a few weeks until I got bored. So I was off to find something to sell. I don't even remember what I wanted to sell but it had a profit of $9+ as I recall and that was triple my investment. Cool, now lets do a little more digging and I found Craigslist Hunter. It just so happens that in the video I watched that day he talked about making $9 and selling 10 items to make $90 or find a high priced item, sell 1 and make $90 profit. So I found my high priced profit item and went with it.... and I have been having a great time ever since. Over 25 years later I have the drive again that I had back in the 90's because I'm having such a great time. So my suggestion would be to find your high profit item and sell it and while you are making your run at that item, be looking for the next thing that you will be selling. Rinse & repeat. This might be the most important thing you will ever read..... don't make it more complicated that it needs to be. If you follow the KISS rule you will have much more fun!

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
Since my first post I have done a lot of research on alibaba reselling and am thinking it looks interesting. Anyone on mmm doing that?

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »
Since my first post I have done a lot of research on alibaba reselling and am thinking it looks interesting. Anyone on mmm doing that?

I don't do this but I would recommend listening to The Amazing Seller podcast.  He's focused on Amazon sellers private labeling products produced in (mostly) China and has a lot of great information on the process, how to vet quality, etc. 

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:35:20 AM »
By October 1 you need to actually start doing this or else you will be one of those that does research and does research and never really busts a grape. Research only goes so far and the electric company does not take it as payment.

mynewchoice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
I have sold on Amazon but not eBay, and the method I was using was purely retail arbitrage.  There is money to be made doing retail arbitrage but it can be more time consuming and frustrating (i.e. when you do find an item that is a good seller but you cannot find more inventory in your area).  That is what then often leads people to pursuing wholesale so you can buy in larger quantities and at cheaper prices.  I never made it to this point of trying wholesale as I started to lose steam on the time it was taking to do retail arbitrage given other commitments.  Lastly, you have private label products where you put your own brand on something and sell it.  Some people are doing well with this, and some that teach the courses on how to do it are doing really well. =)

All in all, there is money to be made but it can take a lot of time--and you can lose money too as you learn.  There is a guy named Jordan Malik who puts out a lot of good free information, and I still follow his emails.  He has done eBay and Amazon among others.  Another person is Jim Cockrum, he has a Facebook group called My Silent Team and he has a bunch of courses available on these topics.  There are countless others but these two guys are two that in my opinion always go above and beyond to deliver value to their audience.

thelyon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:00:18 AM »
I sell  jewelry on ebay. I've done ok of the past few years. a few tips and useful information

1: "Buy Nows" are what people are general looking for.
2: have "fast and free shipping" so you working shipping into the price... you make out decent if they buy multiple items.
3: The lowest I can sell and item for is $3.99 shipped. I profit 25 cents. I have 0 cost on the item and that includes ebay / paypal fees
      plus shipping.
4. Build good feedback ratings and be consistent. Always give feedback. Keep it business like and unemotional if you get negative
       feedback. Try to keep it consistent with a few feedback variants.  ie " Thank you for your purchase!"  and response for negative
       feedback " No need for Negative feedback, Full refunds
       offered"
5. If your item weighs less than 16oz then get your own bubble envelopes or boxes. It's cheaper to ship that way.
    ie 4 oz or less is $2.61, up to 8oz is 2.77.    if not flat rate boxes work well.