Author Topic: Potential Side Hustle - Teach English Online for $20 + an hour!  (Read 27400 times)

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello fellow Mustachians!

I wanted to let you guys know about my current job which is letting me live a nice semi - RE lifestyle!

I work on a site called VIPKID. I've been teaching on VIPKID for over 2 months now. (About 70 days!) I make about $20 - $25 an hour teaching 25 minute English lessons to kids in China. The site provides the lessons and the students, all you need to do is show up and teach.

Great for Mustachians because - It offers 100% flexibility in scheduling, relatively good pay and it is actually a fulfilling and fun job! I see a lot of posts on the forums of people looking for side hustles, some in rural areas, some in a one car household, some SAHP. I feel like this could really help a lot of people, which is why I'm posting about it here.

For the month of March, VIPKID is giving a $25 dollar sign up bonus for new teachers who join and teach their first class in March. I made a youtube video about it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wA1s0edL4A You can also check out my other videos which give more information about VIPKID here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrHXlsduorgOb5RGTeoDUWoDzrnxR_kAP

I'll answer whatever questions I can about VIPKID in this thread. This job really helped me to create my dream life of traveling, teaching and making money in a very fulfilling way. :)

Min requirements are a Bachelors and that you must be a native speaker of English.

ref: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=3083158
non ref: https://t.vipkid.com.cn

PS - If you use my referral link, I'd be willing to coach you in details through the interview process once you are accepted!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:06:08 AM by FIstateofmind »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Re: Potential Side Hustle - Teach English Online for $20 + an hour!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! My wife is a pre-K teacher at Headstart and is interested in picking up some work like this through the summer. I'm sure she would be good at this since she has a lot of ESL students in her classroom. I checked out the first couple of your videos - you are definitely thorough! I'm going to share this with her when she gets home and I am 100% sure she will be in touch!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:15 AM »
Following!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:05:16 AM »
Yay! Glad you guys found the info useful. Yes, it's still "working," but it's so much better to work when you love your job! It feels so nice to make money doing something I enjoy :]

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
Darn, would love to do this but lack the BA/BS :(

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
It appears that this requires teaching experience.  Is that correct?  ie someone with an unrelated bachelor's cannot teach based on the provided curriculum.

zoltani

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Thanks. I have a BS and a TESOL certification so I might give this a try.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »
It appears that this requires teaching experience.  Is that correct?  ie someone with an unrelated bachelor's cannot teach based on the provided curriculum.

The teaching experience can be in anything, so if you've ever tutored, TA'ed or done anything teaching related in any field, you can do it.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Is the pay via W-2, 1099, or ?
W-9

catmustache

• Stubble
  • I jumped out of a plane once. So there's that.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
Following. :)

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
I'm interested in this. How many hours are you able to teach per week?

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
I'm interested in this. How many hours are you able to teach per week?

As many or as little as you like within 9 AM - 10PM beijing time.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
Thanks for posting about this and answering my other question.

One more: do you stay busy with this?  I saw your mention on the hours.  If one is available during the peak hours, would it be realistic to work 10-20 hours?

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
Thanks for posting about this and answering my other question.

One more: do you stay busy with this?  I saw your mention on the hours.  If one is available during the peak hours, would it be realistic to work 10-20 hours?

Honestly, some people work ALL of the available hours. Granted, they live in Asia so they don't deal with the time zone. You can really work as little or as much as you want. They recommend a min of about 7 - 8 hours a week.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »
Following for my DH.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
following

Laurenji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
Following - been trying to help my DH find a side hustle, since he's about to drop out of his PhD and be a full-time SAHD, but wants something flexible he can earn a little money with.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
The takeaway from this thread is that creating marketplaces that bring value to two different unconnected parties is a brilliant business model.

Schools make money by the way of tuition payments by offering online english classes.

People who need some extra cash, or a job, make money teaching the lessons.

VIPKID makes the most money of all, without having to put in any face time teaching lessons.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
Yeah, and this particular firm snagged $100 million in financing and has Kobe Bryant as its spokesman. Going gangbusters.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
I thought this was a passive aggressive snarky reply to my comment.

And then I googled your response.

LOL, kobe bryant... there you go!

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
I thought this was a passive aggressive snarky reply to my comment.

And then I googled your response.

LOL, kobe bryant... there you go!

Yup! But I agree with you. This is a job, not an entrepreneurial venture. I have NO idea why this thread was moved to entrepreneurship. I placed it in mustachian suggestions...

It's a great company to work for, though! Also not only did they find 2 unnoticed parties, they targeted an underpaid over worked party here in the US (teachers). It's crazy I get paid the same amount per hour as a regular county teacher in my area with about 95% less work (or more!).

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
I have NO idea why this thread was moved to entrepreneurship. I placed it in mustachian suggestions...

Ah well there you go, that makes more sense.

I clicked on a thread in the entreprenuer forum and responded as such.

BAMxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »
Do you think they'd accept corporate classroom teaching/sales training? I'm super interested in this and have taught loads of subjects related to the corporate world, so I definitely think i could do it.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »
Darn, would love to do this but lack the BA/BS :(

Me too.  :(

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
Definitely interested in this and probably will be applying with your referral. I filled in as a teacher for a couple of English classes when I lived in Japan, and it was very enjoyable!

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 04:37:33 PM »
Do you think they'd accept corporate classroom teaching/sales training? I'm super interested in this and have taught loads of subjects related to the corporate world, so I definitely think i could do it.

Yes, they would! They look more for camera presence and appearance than anything.

Tonyahu

• Stubble
  • Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
PM'd you!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
Following!

I have a MS in engineering, but was a TA during my time in graduate school.

Couple that with the fact that I plan on staying home for a couple months this fall on Paternity leave, and most of it is unpaid. This seems like a great opportunity for me to start this as a side hustle!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
Bumping this thread- anyone take the plunge and try it? Is it working out well? Do you find that you need to work some shifts during the middle of the day (Beijing time), or can you only work on the edges of the time window (evening and morning in North America)?

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
I've been doing it for a month now. I made a little over $800 my first month. I really like it but I typically only get booked in the morning. In my time zone the most popular class times  are between 3am-7am. It's an adjustment waking up that early, but I really like it for a side hustle. I'm on track to make over $1000 this month.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 05:58:27 AM »
Bumping this thread- anyone take the plunge and try it? Is it working out well? Do you find that you need to work some shifts during the middle of the day (Beijing time), or can you only work on the edges of the time window (evening and morning in North America)?

Usually Morning for North America, and Fridays and Saturdays you can work the whole 12 hour shift and get booked easily :]

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
^thanks for the updates. My plan is to start doing this in the fall when I take some time off of my primary job to help raise little-Buffalostache

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
^thanks for the updates. My plan is to start doing this in the fall when I take some time off of my primary job to help raise little-Buffalostache

Nice! I feel like EST is the best time zone for mornings. My classes are from 7 am - 10 am. Not bad at all! The earliest I worked was 5 am, though some people do earlier. Lots of people with kids tend to do it earlier and time it so that they end when their kid normally wakes up.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »
I have a friend who signed up, did the lesson thing, was approved, and was offered $8/hour.

She has a Master's in teaching, and about 7-8 years experience.

They say the offer "up to" $20/hour (actually, looking at it, the thread title touts that, too), but does anyone actually get that? 

What rates are you guys seeing?

That rate is less than minimum wage in her city, so it'd be better for her to flip burgers than do this.

/shrug

Maybe if you're living in a very cheap COL area (Asia?) and have no other way to make income, $8 US/hr is okay, but for most of us? Meh.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
I have been doing this for a couple months now. the base rate is $8 a class, which is 25 minutes, not an hour.  However you get $1 for participation and $1 for finishing the class. So basically you get $10 a class, or $20 an hour if you do 2 classes back to back. Also each month they do a different incentive to increase your paycheck. Last month it was guaranteed pay for certain time slots that you open even if no one books you.  I like it a lot. I have made around $1500 this month working a few days a week in addition to my full time job.

Edited to clarify: I just remembered that the $1 participation incentive is actually based on the number of classes you teach each month. The maximum is $1 per class and you have to teach at least 40 classes each month (20 hours of work) to get that incentive. I always do much more than 40 so I forgot that is a requirement. If you do less than that, you get something like 25 cents per class.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:13:03 PM by mindy »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
Following

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
I have been doing this for a couple months now. the base rate is $8 a class, which is 25 minutes, not an hour.  However you get $1 for participation and $1 for finishing the class. So basically you get $10 a class, or $20 an hour if you do 2 classes back to back. Also each month they do a different incentive to increase your paycheck. Last month it was guaranteed pay for certain time slots that you open even if no one books you.  I like it a lot. I have made around $1500 this month working a few days a week in addition to my full time job.

Edited to clarify: I just remembered that the $1 participation incentive is actually based on the number of classes you teach each month. The maximum is $1 per class and you have to teach at least 40 classes each month (20 hours of work) to get that incentive. I always do much more than 40 so I forgot that is a requirement. If you do less than that, you get something like 25 cents per class.

Great perspective here Mindy- do you live in Australasia or Asia so you are on the same time? or are you just a night owl working on this in the evenings? Since I live in the US (Mountain Time Zone), my goal was to do 2-3 classes per "day", but split up between the beginning of the day in China and the end of the day so that I could sleep in the night. Is this realistic?

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »
Yeah it's exactly what Mindy said. If you do short notice classes, (which I do and ALWAYS book) you get an extra 2 per class, so i make 24 an hour sometimes.

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
I wish I still lived in Asia! I am on PDT right now, which means peak hours are 4am-7am for me. The way my schedule works is I have classes from 4-7am almost every day (6 classes). Then I go to work from 9-5 (M-F). It's a lot, but as long as I go to bed by 10pm, I get about 6 hours of sleep, which is enough for me. I know a lot of people can't handle this schedule, but for some reason my body prefers getting 6-7 hours of sleep instead of 8+.

Also I second what FIsateofmind said. I usually don't book any classes at night, but if I find out that I have nothing to do and everyone is busy, then I open them up for short notice which gets me the $2 bonus per class. They usually end up being trial classes and I have a high percentage rate of converting those into regular students, so I end up making $17 for those classes when you add on the $5 sign up bonus. Then my hourly rate turns into $34 an hour!

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

Great perspective here Mindy- do you live in Australasia or Asia so you are on the same time? or are you just a night owl working on this in the evenings? Since I live in the US (Mountain Time Zone), my goal was to do 2-3 classes per "day", but split up between the beginning of the day in China and the end of the day so that I could sleep in the night. Is this realistic?

I just realized I didn't answer your question. Yes and no this is realistic. I find that I really only book in the mornings because that is the evening in China, so the kids are out of school. I typically only book evening times on Fridays and Saturdays because that's the weekend and the kids are not in school. It's definitely doable to have your morning classes fill. Mine always fill up immediately, but the night classes are harder. Since summer break is coming up, they should be easier to fill, but when they go back to school they won't fill up as much.

TLDR: if you're shooting for 2-3 classes a day, you'll have an easier time meeting that goal if you do them all in the morning.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
I just realized I didn't answer your question. Yes and no this is realistic. I find that I really only book in the mornings because that is the evening in China, so the kids are out of school. I typically only book evening times on Fridays and Saturdays because that's the weekend and the kids are not in school. It's definitely doable to have your morning classes fill. Mine always fill up immediately, but the night classes are harder. Since summer break is coming up, they should be easier to fill, but when they go back to school they won't fill up as much.

TLDR: if you're shooting for 2-3 classes a day, you'll have an easier time meeting that goal if you do them all in the morning.

Thanks Mindy. That, combined with the fact that I'm on MDT (so peak times would be 5-8am for me, seemingly more reasonable) and my modest goals [2-3 classes a day], give me hope.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Subscribing so I don't lose this thread again.

I live in Japan and teach English to adults and kids, so this is right up my alley.  My jobs pay more per hour, but this seems simpler, I could take it with me when I leave, and I can use it to fill in schedule holes.  Perfect.  Thanks!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Sounds like a good sideline to get going. Sadly, as I only have a diploma (Institutes of Technology were not allowed to grant degrees in my day), not for me. But posting to follow regardless as I think this is something I'll probably end up recommending to friends to look into.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
Following...

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
Posting to follow 😊 This is such an interesting idea.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
PTF. Thanks so much for this information! I signed up and have to do a bit more reading/research before doing my interview.

LudicrousSpeed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
Ok, I'll try this out. Wish me luck y'all!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
I want to sign up for this in a few weeks.

Did you need reference letters?  Resume?

What paperwork will I need to line up in advance?  I haven't updated my resume in years.

Thanks! 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I want to sign up for this in a few weeks.

Did you need reference letters?  Resume?

What paperwork will I need to line up in advance?  I haven't updated my resume in years.

Thanks!

No resume or references needed. You'll need to fill in an online form of your relevant experience (teaching) and your educational background. If you don't have teaching experience exactly, you can talk about work you did in your regular job that involved teaching others. I talked about my volunteer tutoring. This stage is by far the fastest and easiest (it took maybe 5 minutes).

Once you pass that stage, you'll have an initial interview, which is a short mock class. You'll need to prepare a lesson that they'll send you and do it for an interviewer in China. In that stage, you'll be told how much you'll be paid per class (which is bit complicated as detailed upthread) if you get hired. Then, there's a stage of online training and a quiz and then two more mock classes. After that, you'll get hired, which is when you'll need paperwork (mostly transcripts to prove you have a Bachelor's and any other certifications, plus normal things like ID, etc).

The process is long, but really focused on learning their system of teaching, not on your resume or any references.

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
Following