Author Topic: Mturk for Canadians  (Read 11139 times)

Reggie

• Stubble
Mturk for Canadians
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:46:52 AM »
Any Canadians out there using Mturk? I signed up and have made about $20 so far.  It's kind of cool and easy to make a bit of extra money when you're bored.

Anyhow, what do you do to get paid?  Looks like you can only redeem for Amazon.com gift cards and shipping to Canada is very difficult.  I've read a few different forums on the idea and haven't found a really good solution yet.

I noticed that Amazon.com started selling AirBnB email gift cards so I guess purchasing those might be a good idea and then using them when booking on AirBnB.  Just not sure if AirBnB allows US gift cards to book in Canada.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Mturk for Canadians
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
I use USERTESTING.com (website testing)

There's less tasks than MTURK, but I prefer the 1 task for 10USD format, with easy Paypal transfers. For amazon.com giftcards, there are a few sites that will allow you to sell your giftcards (RedFlagDeals;Ebay for person to person, and multiple sites that you'd have to pay them a cut and they will sell it for you)

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:14 AM »
I use USERTESTING.com (website testing)

There's less tasks than MTURK, but I prefer the 1 task for 10USD format, with easy Paypal transfers. For amazon.com giftcards, there are a few sites that will allow you to sell your giftcards (RedFlagDeals;Ebay for person to person, and multiple sites that you'd have to pay them a cut and they will sell it for you)

Thanks Ben! USERTESTING sounds pretty interesting.  I just did a sample video. We'll see if I get anything out of it.  How many tasks do you end up getting on there?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
It's weirdly varying, and I rarely have it open (since I don`t work from home), so I don't really know how well it works out.

When I do try it, I can usually get around 20-40$ in a vacation week (just leaving it on in the background). Not bad for less than 2hrs work.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
There seems to be a few that pop up per day, but most I get disqualified for.

Whats the average time to make 20$ of Mturk?

Reggie

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
Thanks again for the Usertesting.com idea.  I did one so far and that was a quick $10.  I haven't been qualified for anymore but definitely sounds like an interesting opportunity.  It would beat the hell out of Mturk.  Looks like you could make $20/30 USD /hour.

On Mturk, I'd say $20 would take 3-4 hours if your lucky.  I mostly just browse once in a while and see if there is any really easy $0.20-$0.30 hits if I have time to kill and can do 10-20  I feel like if I ever got to 500 or 1000 hits, I could potentially max out at $10/hour. But it's not ideal work and I don't think I could ever see doing more than 1 hour at a time. So definitely not a side gig I would recommend. lol.

But I am also interested because I am curious on the concept.  Like many of the jobs are designed to help train AI systems.  lol. So that's kind of cool. 

But it seems like it might be a little difficult to get paid under amazon.com gift cards. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:14:21 AM »
Wait till you get an actual moderated survey (banners at the top). Usually they want US, but the one that I got was something crazy like 1h30 for 120 US.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!