Author Topic: Logo refinement?  (Read 3574 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Logo refinement?
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
How do I get my co logo refined to professional quality?

I have designed a logo for my co.   But it's not quite right.  Part of it is just hand drawn.
I'm pretty sure it'd be easy to do with the right software, but I don't want to buy and learn the software for just this one thing.
As an MMMer, I don't want to go to (pay for) a commercial graphic artist.

It's (just) circles w/ stars and wings (I was in the AirForce for 20 yrs., I wore flightcrew wings for 16 yrs).
I've done the circles and stars with Word drawing tools (but they're not exactly centered).
I traced the wings from a graphic I found online and did some slight changes.

Where or who do I go to?   Fiverr?

A-train

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Logo refinement?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
A friend of mine often uses Fiverr for his ventures or when he builds websites for customers. It is usually very inexpensive with little hassle. If you can describe what you are looking for (and the partially implemented graphic could probably help), you can get it done within a few days probably under $20.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Check out one of the websites that sells custom banners and decals.   Most have tools that make it very easy to create professional looking work.   You can also rob random images off the web to utilize in building yours.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »
What you are looking for is "vector art"..

that, I believe, is the modern day difference-maker between crappy MS Word/Paint-looking graphics, and polished, clean edged "real" graphics. the Vector concept impacts things like printability and scaling (think blowing up your image to fit the side of a van...don't want pixels showing), etc.

So check on fiverr for a vector graphic design artist and that should be a good direction.

If you want to give them an even better head start, there's a free internet website called sketch.io that you could try to keep creating your logo from. Then you can save things down from there..although you will have to learn to use it a little bit first.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:29:56 PM »
This may seem a little far out, but I hire people like this from Mexico. A graphic designer in Mexico does all our logo, promotional materials, invitations, etcetera. She usually only charges $20 or $30 for any one design. For us, graphic design artwork is a regular need - cards, letterhead, direct mail, website, etcetera. Building this relationship has gotten us all the graphics we need way cheaper and reliably.

You'd be surprised to find Mexicans speak English more often than you think. Also, I bet you could find an Indian graphic designer as well - they speak English.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
... I hire people like this from Mexico. ...
you could find an Indian graphic designer as well
Okay, but HOW do I go about finding and vetting a graphic designer from any given country??

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
What you are looking for is "vector art"..

If you want to give them an even better head start, there's a free internet website called sketch.io that you could try to keep creating your logo from. Then you can save things down from there..although you will have to learn to use it a little bit first.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
... I hire people like this from Mexico. ...
you could find an Indian graphic designer as well
Okay, but HOW do I go about finding and vetting a graphic designer from any given country??

You look on the internet, make a phone call and give it a whirl. It might take a little effort to find someone but that is kind of the whole show, right?

marshdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
I would not stress to much about this and just go to Fivver and do a logo retracing job with just that slight modification to make that element aligned or centered. Should not cost you more than 10-15 bucks with that modification and vectorizing of your logo. make sure you get it in either .eps or .ai format to make sure you can have the logo in "Vector". This is what is used to put it on t-shirts, large format items, banners etc.

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
As an illustrator/artist, however, I will warn you that you get what you pay for.  If all you want is minor alignment changes and a quick and dirty trace job, something like Fiverr may work for you.  If you want a professional designer to actually *look* at your logo and point out /fix any problem areas, or work with you to get your design looking 'right', then maybe you might want to consider actually paying someone a decent wage to do that.

Apologies if that sounds harsh, but the internet is full of people who think they can get professional-quality artwork for next to nothing/free, yet at the same time think that THEY deserve to be paid the going rate for their work .... one gets tired of the double standard after a while.