Author Topic: How do I get started?  (Read 2365 times)

Catica

• Bristles
How do I get started?
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Hi

I would like to start a side hustle.  I’d like to edit podcasts or other other audio material.  Should I just advertise it on my website or how do I find clients?  I also would like to edit images, as I saw someone in the Side Hustle threat doing that. 

THanks

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
Re: How do I get started?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
I doubt there is money in that. Most people who record podcasts  already use  the tools and have the skill set to edit. How would an outsider even know what to edit out of a podcast they did not create? Just start your own or try to find someone who is knowledgeable on a topic and try to have them start one with you where you handle the recording/editing and they do the talking.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
If someone in the side hustle thread is already doing what you want to do, have you PM’d them to pick their brain a bit in terms of how they got started, etc.?

CubicleWarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SixSigmaStudyGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »
Catica,

I hope to start a podcast this time next year. I anticipate needing help. I'm not saying that I'm interested in hiring you. However, this is what I will be looking for when I do start looking for help.

1) Someone who has a portfolio of clips and work that they've done.
2) Someone who has a plan on what I need to do. Eg. a check list, a road map, and a 'don't do these 10 things list'.
3) Someone who asks me good questions 'Hey, what podcasts do you like? What do you like about them? --- and then translates that stuff into an actual to-do list.
4) Someone who can set up an easy process for me - Ex. Hey, dude, you go and record an interview and post it in File box and send me the link. Then I'll massage it, add the regular intro we agree on, I'll splice in the custom intro for your particular interviewee, then I'll splice in the custom out-tro for whatever promotion you have going. on. - And I'll have all of this turned around in X hours for you every time!
5) Someone who knows others in the industry (or can wear multiple hats) Eg Here's someone who can make a transcript for you. Here's someone who will write the description for you and upload it to iTunes. Here's someone who will write the blog post with all the show notes, links to transcript, etc for you. Here's who can make the graphics for you. etc.

Put that all together in a compelling package and you're set.

Be the easy button!

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
try to have them start one with you where you handle the recording/editing and they do the talking.
That's what I meant.  How would I find someone?

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »
Catica,

I hope to start a podcast this time next year. I anticipate needing help. I'm not saying that I'm interested in hiring you. However, this is what I will be looking for when I do start looking for help.

1) Someone who has a portfolio of clips and work that they've done.
2) Someone who has a plan on what I need to do. Eg. a check list, a road map, and a 'don't do these 10 things list'.
3) Someone who asks me good questions 'Hey, what podcasts do you like? What do you like about them? --- and then translates that stuff into an actual to-do list.
4) Someone who can set up an easy process for me - Ex. Hey, dude, you go and record an interview and post it in File box and send me the link. Then I'll massage it, add the regular intro we agree on, I'll splice in the custom intro for your particular interviewee, then I'll splice in the custom out-tro for whatever promotion you have going. on. - And I'll have all of this turned around in X hours for you every time!
5) Someone who knows others in the industry (or can wear multiple hats) Eg Here's someone who can make a transcript for you. Here's someone who will write the description for you and upload it to iTunes. Here's someone who will write the blog post with all the show notes, links to transcript, etc for you. Here's who can make the graphics for you. etc.

Put that all together in a compelling package and you're set.

Be the easy button!
Thanks
1.  I have that.
2.  I can make that
3.  Can do that as well
4.  I can do that
5.  I do know others in the industry!

The question is where do I advertise my skills?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
Reach out to existing podcasters, especially those who are growing and could benefit from your skills.

Find Facebook groups for podcasters.

Attend a conference for podcasters.

Your pitch should include how their time is better spent on generating content or working on their associated business, not the tedious task of editing their podcast and the associated tasks (transcript, show notes, etc.)