Author Topic: Home 3D Printer For Custom Parts, maybe car restorations?  (Read 2003 times)

El Cuajinais

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Home 3D Printer For Custom Parts, maybe car restorations?
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »
I'm a mechanical engineer and have spent my career in aerospace and now renewables. I've designed many components for jet engines and wind turbines for the big companies. I have a large FFF 3D printer at home that can print in engineering plastics like nylon and polycarbonate. I printed a nylon roller that enabled me to fix my car window without having to buy the entire window motor assembly because that roller is not sold separately.

I would think that there a market out there for this. Also I can design and perform structural analysis for any component that would need it. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on how to run a side gig with this skill set. The hiccup I see is that design takes time, and so would be to costly unless the custom part in question can be sold at a business-to-business price.

Thanks in advance. (I've just discovered this board a few days ago and have been blown away.)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
Re: Home 3D Printer For Custom Parts, maybe car restorations?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »
My husband is a teacher in an after school maker program and his students often make repair parts for items needed around the campus. Vacuum cleaner parts, replacement covers for lights, etc.  Lower tech than what your talking about, but similar idea. As this is a class, they haven't had to turn it into a business model.  They are also using a printer that can print durable materials. 

This experience has DH and I considering a similar business model to your own.  We are looking to purchase some personal equipment (3D printers, routers, laser cutters) to start an on demand design business. i think he is planning to market his designs to hobbyists to start.  For instance we've helped make custom replacement parts for a guy who restores old radios. Seems like hobbyist are willing to pay to get the custom part.  We may also start an Etsy shop for some decor designs.  We have several different product "lines" that seem possible.

Like you we are still trying to figure out how to make it a side business.  One thing we will do is find a few items that seem to be more widely marketable and create a standard design that we can quickly produce/keep limited stock on hand. (Like your window part -I bet there is a market somewhere for that) Then also offer a custom design service for an hourly price.

OkieM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:24:13 PM »
Look up dropshipping. It’s basically selling super niche items on Amazon and EBay. A lot of successful stuff is like a fridge handle or something like what you describe. The point is being the only (or beat) result when someone googles 1998 Honda Accord ES left tail light. You could design and advertise the replacement parts without carrying any inventory and make the ones that get ordered.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »
I see a lot of guys already doing this on the car forums / Facebook groups I am in.  I don't think there is enough work out there to make a living doing this kind of stuff, but there probably is enough for a few thousand in side income every year.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
To me this seems like a manufacturing process and should be treated as such. Manufacturing is always viable - but you also need a product to make and an outlet to sell.  I feel like you have good understanding of one of those.

You need a product or several products that you make.

I think you need help identifying what items to make? I guess that depends on if you stick with strictly plastic or step up to carbon fibers and titanium.    If sticking with plastic here's what I imagine to be most profitable:

Just like you already did, make a sub part for an item that is otherwise only sold as an assembly. Cars come to my mind but there could be other items.

Best of luck! The hardest part is going to be finding what products to make - maybe a market research or someone who understands that side of the equation can help.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
This is a 2 year old thread, that just got brought back from the dead, but I'm curious if the OP @El Cuajinais ended up pursuing this?