Author Topic: Has rented or used Turo car rentals?  (Read 3606 times)

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Has rented or used Turo car rentals?
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
I was thinking of buying a camper van and to recoup some of the costs I was thinking of listing on Turo. Has anyone listed on this site or hustle their own rentals? What should I know going in? I was thinking of a used van from Japan converted into a camper. Please don't tare me a new one for not having all the details, Im just daydreaming when I should be working :).

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Has rented or used Turo car rentals?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
As a prospective renter, I’ve looked at Turo several times and it’s never come close to making sense as compared to even airport-surcharged rental cars. I think Turo is taking too much off the top to make it make sense for the renters.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
I have rented a car FROM Turo a couple times.  Both went smooth.  Being able to return the car after business hours (and saving another day's rent) was the biggest benefit.

I bought a car earlier this year, and the option of renting it out on Turo was a consideration in the choice of car.
There is a guy near me that has 8-10 cars on Turo.  From average mid-size to luxury SUVs.  I'm thinking about renting from him just to make contact to see if I can get some advice from him.

A Japanese van will make a pretty small camper - that will really limit your potential client base.  Would you convert it yourself??  Have you done cabinet work?

Turo doesn't have a category of camper/RV.  You'd probably do better with RVshare or Outdoorsy.

Before I rent my car, I will definitely install a GPS tracker.  You have to price the monthly service fee. 

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »
I have rented a car FROM Turo a couple times.  Both went smooth.  Being able to return the car after business hours (and saving another day's rent) was the biggest benefit.

I bought a car earlier this year, and the option of renting it out on Turo was a consideration in the choice of car.
There is a guy near me that has 8-10 cars on Turo.  From average mid-size to luxury SUVs.  I'm thinking about renting from him just to make contact to see if I can get some advice from him.

A Japanese van will make a pretty small camper - that will really limit your potential client base.  Would you convert it yourself??  Have you done cabinet work?

Turo doesn't have a category of camper/RV.  You'd probably do better with RVshare or Outdoorsy.

Before I rent my car, I will definitely install a GPS tracker.  You have to price the monthly service fee.

The model of van I am looking at are about the size of a dodge caravan, but come with 4x4 and can be lifted for more ground clearance. These can go a lot more places than a C, B or a class motor home, but your right they are not big by any means. I'm thinking of targeting backpackers and euro travelers. There is competition that already does this, "wickedcampers".

I have done a small amount of cabinet work but I'm looking to on the simpler side and only offer basics. A flat area for a bed, storage bins underneath, a cooler and a bbq/burner.

I will have a look at RVshare/ Outdoorsy, never heard of them before.

GPS tracker would be a absolute must.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »
I was thinking of a used van from Japan converted into a camper.

Were you planning on buying the unit in Japan and importing yourself? Or purchasing a unit already in Canada and converting it yourself? Or one that is already converted?

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
I rent my car on Turo!  I've only been doing it for a little over a month...

Car: Hyundai Elantra 2013
KBB value: ~$7k
Miles: 90k

Weekday profit: $23.80
Weekend profit: $28.05

Mileage included (I used default settings)
Daily = 200
Weekly = 1000

There is a .31 fee per mile over.

Insurance:
I did the Turo basic insurance, which is a $1M liability insurance, $3k out of pocket cost for covered damage on my car.  I receive 85% of the price (the prices up above net profit).

Default setting is Turo Standard, which has zero out of pocket expenses for damages on your car... You will receive 75% of the trip price.

Drivers usually average 100 miles per day.  I should be able to write off the depreciation at .55 per mile... so 100 x .55 x 25% (tax bracket I'm in) = $13.75 in write offs.

It's been a fun experiment so far.  The renter today was an hour late, which was a little annoying.

I have been dreaming of buying a Tesla to rent out on the site... But I'm not sure I have the courage to do that (it's a mixture of face punching myself for a huge fancy pants expense, but maybe it could be a profitable side hustle).

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
I don’t believe you can claim the full $0.55/mile rate, as that rate is the all-in rate for business miles (including fuel).

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Check out my blog! www.fimposter.com
    • FImposter - A Journey from Imposter to Financial Independence
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

Question for you, or anyone else who has used Turo as an owner... currently, some days I bike to work while others I drive. I'd like to be able to rent my car out on days that I'm not driving to work. So, my question is - can you set specific hours available for pickup/dropoff? For example, I days that I bike, I usually leave home before 8 and don't get back until after 5. So my car is technically available for the whole day, but I would only be around to give the keys to someone for a few hours in the morning and I'd only be around for a dropoff for a few hours in the evening. Is that a scenario you can set, renting out for the whole day but must pick up/drop off during certain times? Or is there any way you can not be present when a customer picks up the vehicle (eg using a lockbox or something)?

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »
I was thinking of a used van from Japan converted into a camper.

Were you planning on buying the unit in Japan and importing yourself? Or purchasing a unit already in Canada and converting it yourself? Or one that is already converted?

I am looking for one in Canada already and I will add a basic folding bed and drawers underneath. I think I found one and I m going to look at it in the next few days.

I was looking at outdoorsy and I am perplexed how to insure this in B.C.. I know that Tuoro and outdoorsy add insurance but B.C. has a weird setup. I have a friend at the gym who is a broker and Im going to hit him up to find out, just haven't seen him in a week.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

Question for you, or anyone else who has used Turo as an owner... currently, some days I bike to work while others I drive. I'd like to be able to rent my car out on days that I'm not driving to work. So, my question is - can you set specific hours available for pickup/dropoff? For example, I days that I bike, I usually leave home before 8 and don't get back until after 5. So my car is technically available for the whole day, but I would only be around to give the keys to someone for a few hours in the morning and I'd only be around for a dropoff for a few hours in the evening. Is that a scenario you can set, renting out for the whole day but must pick up/drop off during certain times? Or is there any way you can not be present when a customer picks up the vehicle (eg using a lockbox or something)?

You can't make yourself unavailable to give a key, but have the car available to rent (if that makes sense).

I have rented a Tesla before, that had his keys locked in the car, and he somehow unlocked the car through his phone.

https://explore.turo.com/turo-go-announce/

Turo is looking to start something similar to where you can remote unlock your car, but I don't see why you couldn't just install something via third party to do so...

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 06:39:03 AM »

Question for you, or anyone else who has used Turo as an owner... currently, some days I bike to work while others I drive. I'd like to be able to rent my car out on days that I'm not driving to work. So, my question is - can you set specific hours available for pickup/dropoff? For example, on days that I bike, I usually leave home before 8 and don't get back until after 5. So my car is technically available for the whole day, but I would only be around to give the keys to someone for a few hours in the morning and I'd only be around for a dropoff for a few hours in the evening. Is that a scenario you can set, renting out for the whole day but must pick up/drop off during certain times? Or is there any way you can not be present when a customer picks up the vehicle (eg using a lockbox or something)?

You can't make yourself unavailable to give a key, but have the car available to rent (if that makes sense).

I have rented a Tesla before, that had his keys locked in the car, and he somehow unlocked the car through his phone.

https://explore.turo.com/turo-go-announce/

Turo is looking to start something similar to where you can remote unlock your car, but I don't see why you couldn't just install something via third party to do so...

Very interesting! Turo Go sounds like a great idea. I may have to look into what kind of third party devices would be needed to make that work. Or, more likely, procrastinate until Turo Go rolls out in my area... thanks for info. Unfortunately I don't have a Tesla, so unlocking from my smartphone isn't built-in :D

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »
I currently don't own a car. I have looked at Turo as a possible location to rent a car, but I hadn't considered owning a car that I could rent out 4-6 days per week.

If I could cover the full costs of a car and maybe a little extra, I'd be interested. But I also live in a heavy winter state, I imagine rentals go up during the summer and go down during the winter So this might have to be more of a "buy at the beginning of summer not the end".

It would be helpful to hear success/failure stories.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
This guy is a miles/points blogger who has a side business with a fleet of cars on Turo. He pays an attendant at a lot to manage the pick ups/drop offs.
https://www.travelcodex.com/make-money-renting-cars-with-turo/
https://www.travelcodex.com/my-car-was-stolen-while-renting-through-turo/

EfficiencyNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
I just found this clause on Turo's website...

Cars in the US and Canada must be no more than 12 years old; cars in Germany must be no more than 15 years old. Cars must have fewer than 130,000 miles/200,000 kilometres...

Well shoot. I guess my Prius with (only!) 280,000 km would be pretty much violating the terms of service, which I'm sure would be problematic if a Turo renter were to get in an accident with my vehicle. As I likely won't be looking to sell this Prius anytime in the next ~5 years, I guess Turo is out for me, unless I were to pick up a second car specifically for that purpose.

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »

I was looking at outdoorsy and I am perplexed how to insure this in B.C.. I know that Tuoro and outdoorsy add insurance but B.C. has a weird setup. I have a friend at the gym who is a broker and Im going to hit him up to find out, just haven't seen him in a week.

I think I just found the answer to my own question
"Turo only operates in BC by car rental companies private cars are not allowed list with Turo in BC as for the local government rules and regulations." - Stated by a listing on the Turo site
So If I want to do something like this, I need to form a proper company with business insurance.

Goodidea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
I've only been tempted to use Turo for their pickup trucks when trying to haul some furniture. When I need a fridge moved, I don't care how nice the truck looks. I'm using it for a specific purpose that has little to do with comfort or street cred. The only reason why I didn't end up using Turo was because the affordable trucks were rented out and uhaul wound up being cheaper. If you're looking for a car to buy to try out this service, I think it's worth looking into a cheap used truck.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!