Author Topic: Good entrepreneurship blogs  (Read 4257 times)

JetBlast

• Bristles
Good entrepreneurship blogs
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
My wife is fed up with working to someone else’s schedule and wants to start her own business, but feels overwhelmed and gets discouraged when she actually tries to think of ideas and how to get started. Anyone have suggestions for blogs that are geared toward giving someone the confidence to start a business? 

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
Re: Good entrepreneurship blogs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
Side Hustle School and Side Hustle Nation - they're podcasts, but fun and encouraging, with lots of good ideas.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
Not blogs, but here are some other resources:

Books - Business

“The $100 Startup”
by Chris Gillebeau
Good overview in what needs to be done when starting a small business. 

“The 10 Laws of Career Reinvention”
by Pamela Mitchell
Great questions, exercises, and methods to discovering new businesses you may wish to work in a job or start on your own.
Best book on this list.

“The Suitcase Entrepreneur”
by Natalie Sisson
How to establish and run an online business while you travel or even if you don't travel.  Excellent book.

“Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook”
by Gary Vaynerchuk
An expert on social media marketing

“Drive.  The surprising truth about what motivates us.”
by Daniel Pink

“The War of Art”
by Steven Pressfield.
Surprisingly practical ways to work through procrastination and other impediments to achievement.

“Outliers: The Story of Success”
by Malcolm Gladwell

Book - Personal Finance
“Making the Most of Your Money Now”
by Jane Bryant Quinn

Podcasts
Side Hustle School
Side Hustle Show
How I Built This
Tim Ferris - his interviews with entrepreneurs

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll check them out.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
I think smartpassiveincome.com has some of the best resources for getting started.

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
My wife is fed up with working to someone else’s schedule and wants to start her own business, but feels overwhelmed and gets discouraged when she actually tries to think of ideas and how to get started. Anyone have suggestions for blogs that are geared toward giving someone the confidence to start a business?

This post right here at home base might help. I think the post makes a lot of sense and makes the case for making the leap out of the J O B. I think it helps get your mental game in order...

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/03/09/money-and-confidence-are-interchangeable/

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »
I've read through a lot of them over the years, and there's plenty of good info right here!

+1 for Pat Flynn (smartpassiveincome.com)  Even if you're not an affiliate marketer, e-book seller, etc., he has plenty to learn from.

Also, while I haven't read much Tim Ferriss, his article about launching his first big book, and the actual work he did at promotion/PR, is great reading for any business person.

CubicleWarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SixSigmaStudyGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
I think there are (3) sites that are so strong in the basics that they are helpful for advanced entrepreneurs and indispensable for new entrepreneurs:

SmartPassiveIncome.com
VideoFruit.com
ProBlogger.com

Outside of their sites I find their podcasts to be helpful and inspiring!

I've recommended Pat Flynn's Will It Fly to others starting down the entrepreneurial path. It's a good way to put yourself in position to succeed through light market research.

Maccountant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »

One book you might want to check out is - 48 Days to the work you love by Dan Miller 

The author is friends with Dave Ramsey of total money makeover, what is different about the book is that it does not stress the need for entrepreneurship. It charts a path to finding more satisfactory work, sounds like your wife hates her current job and wants out. Entrepreneurship may be the solution, but a different job may be as well.

Food for though.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »
One podcast to check out is https://eventualmillionaire.com/  - lots of interviews, some are good, some excellent (and some better skipped).   I followed that from the start up until a couple of years ago, when I had moved on to another phase of my knowledge seeking, so I cannot really vouch for the lastest content, but some of the older stuff is really good. :)

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
The E-myth revisited is a classic on how to start a business.