Author Topic: Cost for an LLC  (Read 3340 times)

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
Cost for an LLC
« on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
howdy folks, been doing alot of reading and talking to people. And when I looked at Legalzoom, their charge for a LLC in Texas without any filing to the S-corp tax, is already 465.

Is this a decent price?

Thanks.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
Re: Cost for an LLC
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »
howdy folks, been doing alot of reading and talking to people. And when I looked at Legalzoom, their charge for a LLC in Texas without any filing to the S-corp tax, is already 465.

Is this a decent price?

Thanks.

We have do-it-yourself LLC formulation kits we sell here:

http://evergreensmallbusiness.com/all-states-real-estate-investor-llc-formation-kit/

But you very possibly don't need to buy a kit or need help from some service like legalzoom... there are pages that walk you through the steps for each state and point you to the free forms and online wizards that are typically available.

Try doing the LLC formation yourself (without a kit)... you might be surprised at how easy it is.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

Is this a decent price?

Thanks.

That's about what I paid last year in Texas, it is FREE to do it yourself, but I needed it formed with an EIN in 48 hours and the online company I used (I don't remember the name, Legal Zoom looks familiar) accomplished that for around that price. 

If you are in no hurry it should all be do-able for free with maybe some phone calls or internet research.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »
You can get an EIN using this link:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

You want to have your LLC already set up... but once you have it formed, it's about 3 minutes to get an EIN directly from IRS.

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »
Yo SeattleCPA, your website is suspended?

CareCPA

• Bristles
    • Care CPA - Tax, Accounting and Payroll
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »
I believe in Texas the filing fees for the state are over $300. So it doesn't seem like a huge markup.
I agree that if you have the time you can probably do it yourself, though.

ETA: legalzoom agreements are pretty terrible though. If you intend to have other partners, I would definitely spend some money on a good one, and save yourself the lawyer fees on the backend if something goes wrong.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:56:39 AM by FrugalGrad »

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »

SeattleCPA, I'm getting that as well.

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:08:32 AM »
I would take a look at your state's Secretary of State website. You may be able to do it easily by yourself. If I remember, it was TX? Here's the website:    http://sos.state.tx.us/

When I started my LLC in NH, I just needed to check their website to see if my business name was available and I filled out a form and sent in a check for $100 to the SOS office.

Also, if there's a local entrepreneurship or small business association around, someone could point you to what to do in your state.

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »
First, thanks for all the info. I got the LLC started with Legalzoom, as it's $140 on top of the $301 texas charges for the filing. Does anyone know how to file an S-corp structure under the LLC for salary and company accounts?

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »

SeattleCPA, I'm getting that as well.

Oh geez. The problem of having a crappy hosting company... fixed now.