Author Topic: Copy-writing book?  (Read 3792 times)

trammatic

• Stubble
Copy-writing book?
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:26:57 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for a copy-writing book?  I have the business idea, but don't have any real experience with sales...  I am looking for direction in making an online sales pitch.

Hugh Jastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Copy-writing book?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
It's tough to recommend just one book, or training. If you're not looking to becoming a master copywriter/marketer, and just need help getting your offer up and running, you'll do well to roll with these two...

1) The Ultimate Sales Letter by Dan Kennedy
2) Great Leads by Michael Masterson and John Forde

Basics:
-Starving crowd. (them)
-Irresistible offer. (you)
-Put your offer in front of them. (sell with stories)
-Repeat. (need mo' money? make mo' offers) :-)

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:45:18 PM »
Could you provide a little more information? Are you asking about "copyrighting" (making sure that you are recognized as the creator/author of written material) or "copyediting" (making sure your written work is grammatically correct, no misspellings, etc.)?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
Could you provide a little more information? Are you asking about "copyrighting" (making sure that you are recognized as the creator/author of written material) or "copyediting" (making sure your written work is grammatically correct, no misspellings, etc.)?

The OP didn't make a mistake. Copywriting = writing text for marketing and sales (known as "copy" in the industry).

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:29 AM »
Copyblogger probably has some recommendations.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
http://

The OP didn't make a mistake. Copywriting = writing text for marketing and sales (known as "copy" in the industry).

Aha! Thanks for the clarification.

Bbbent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
You might also find some useful info on Problogger. 

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for a copy-writing book? 

Ca$hvertising.  This is in my top 5 books.  Incredible resource.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
I do lots of product writing, marketing writing and email writing. The book that helped me the most for my job was about writing good microcopy.

https://www.amazon.com/Microstyle-Writing-Little-Christopher-Johnson/dp/039334181X

Hugh Jastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »

Huge thumbs up on this book as well. Alllllllmost mentioned it, but didn't want to overwhelm. Incredible resource, if you know how to use it. It's a loaded question for a top book recommendation for writing copy IMHO, being a copywriter...

I've been a full-time copywriter, for 8ish years. Written a 1000 words a day on average. Have HUNDREDS of books, courses, and oodles of mentors. And have reached the point where my copy has brought in millions... I know how to take an offer, know if it'll work, and roll in the sales... But like anything else worthwhile, it's an art and a skill... You gotta do the deep work, put in the 1000 hours if you want to be really good... Otherwise, you may need to work out a deal with someone to write for you, or do your best with something like Kennedy's book, and the other recommendations...

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »
I've been a full-time copywriter, for 8ish years. Written a 1000 words a day on average. Have HUNDREDS of books, courses, and oodles of mentors. And have reached the point where my copy has brought in millions... I know how to take an offer, know if it'll work, and roll in the sales...

Haha, awesome man.  You have a great skill.

You ever thought making your own profit/offer and just knocking it out of the park with your herculean copy abilities?

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »

That's exactly it.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

trammatic

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

Huge thumbs up on this book as well. Alllllllmost mentioned it, but didn't want to overwhelm. Incredible resource, if you know how to use it. It's a loaded question for a top book recommendation for writing copy IMHO, being a copywriter...

I've been a full-time copywriter, for 8ish years. Written a 1000 words a day on average. Have HUNDREDS of books, courses, and oodles of mentors. And have reached the point where my copy has brought in millions... I know how to take an offer, know if it'll work, and roll in the sales... But like anything else worthwhile, it's an art and a skill... You gotta do the deep work, put in the 1000 hours if you want to be really good... Otherwise, you may need to work out a deal with someone to write for you, or do your best with something like Kennedy's book, and the other recommendations...

Wow, that's impressive!  Actually, you somewhat read my mind.  I'd like to know the basics to evaluate potential copy subs.  I don't expect to be good at it myself, but I want vet copy that I buy.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Have you seen the Well-Fed Writer?

http://a.co/9kSPwod

Hugh Jastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
I've been a full-time copywriter, for 8ish years. Written a 1000 words a day on average. Have HUNDREDS of books, courses, and oodles of mentors. And have reached the point where my copy has brought in millions... I know how to take an offer, know if it'll work, and roll in the sales...

Haha, awesome man.  You have a great skill.

You ever thought making your own profit/offer and just knocking it out of the park with your herculean copy abilities?

Thanks man. Yep. I've created a few of my own offers. Lately, I've been having fun mostly writing performance based campaigns for various clients. But I do have plans to create another offer very soon.